100 lb. Club - Best Weight Loss Tool

View Full Version : Best Weight Loss Tool

rodeogirl
04-15-2013, 12:28 AM
Ok this thread has been done before, but I love seeing what people say and always get great ideas.

So what tools/ideas/etc have you found that really help you?

Water, water bottles, 3FC and chicken breasts are givens so you'll have to come up with other stuff. :)

For me - my blender has been a big help.

I got a Blendtech blender at Costco, which kinda broke the bank, lol, but I'm glad I got it. I use it to make smoothies and put spinach, and chia seeds (now also at Costco!) in with fruit and yogurt for a delicious vitamin rich breakfast. It cleans up so easily that I love using it - I hated blenders in the past because they were a pain to clean. I was almost sure I'd be returning my blender within a week - but I've had it for over a month now and use it a lot.

Underwater
04-15-2013, 12:42 AM
Protein shakes! Low calorie and filling!

amandie
04-15-2013, 01:20 AM
Digital Scales! Helps me learn what is a proper portion and servings, etc. instead of eyeballing.

I love green smoothies!

Radiojane
04-15-2013, 01:23 AM
The Internet in general, and cheese sticks. Easy portion control!

ataraxia3
04-15-2013, 01:31 AM
Myfitnesspal app to log everything, the internet & websites like: pinterest, youtube, etc. They all help me find good work outs and healthy recipes.

Curvycurly
04-15-2013, 01:37 AM
My food scale and regular scale! WW tracking app. 3FC of course. Greek yogurt- I eat it everyday and it really keeps me full. Frozen shelled edamame. I'm sure Ill think of more and add later

SuperHeroTeacher
04-15-2013, 01:43 AM
Food scale, measuring cups, and my glass water bottle.

I'm spatially challenged and can't eyeball portions at all - and it goes both ways! Today I was weighing out ground turkey for my taco salad lunches this week - one serving I'd eyeball and it turned out a couple ounces over the weight I'd intended, and the next serving I'd eyeball - thinking in my mind it was about the same size as the last, and it would be a couple ounces short...

I LOVE my glass water bottle! I used to struggle to get my water requirements in daily because I didn't like the "taste" of the water. It wasn't the water I didn't like, it was the plastic leaching into it. Now. I'd rather drink water over other drinks, except the occasional diet coke ;)

lunarsongbird
04-15-2013, 10:49 AM
Trust. Trust in my body and it's hunger signals. Trust that I will not lose motivation. Trust that I am doing the right thing for my future family. Trust that my body is capable to losing. Trust that my body will equal out at a healthy weight. Trust I'll stop eating. Trust I'll make the right choices. Trust.

http://nicktumminello.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/tumblr_lkxsduy1Np1qe2t5to1_500-297x300.jpg

joefla70
04-15-2013, 11:20 AM
As I was thinking about this, the only "tools" I can think of -- other than the obvious ones already mentioned - are food. I have never used a scale to weigh food, a blender - or any other small kitchen appliance. For me, the key has been finding substitute foods and substitute ways of eating.

Protein Shakes. I have to second the protein shake. I have one every morning for breakfast.

Frozen Cauliflower / and Spaghetti Squash. I'm not crazy about either of these by themselves, but doctored up I love them. Cauliflower is my oft-used substitute for potato and rice in meals. For example, I make a chicken tikka masala. But instead of serving it over rice, I mix in chopped up steamed cauliflower right into the chicken and the sauce. It comes out so good. I used to buy whole heads of cauliflower. But it is SO much easier - and just as tasty - to use the frozen variety. It takes a lot of time out of the preparation and cleanup. I don't make spaghetti squash nearly as often as I do cauliflower for this very reason. Its not nearly as easy to make as the cauliflower. But when I do, it comes out so good. I usually do a shrimp scampi with it.

Spices. I touched on this above with the reference to the chicken tikka masala. I have found that I am using a lot more varied spices to make my meals more interesting and tasty now.

Bagged Lettuce The only way for me to fill myself up at lunch without over eating protein or starches is to fill up on lettuce and veggies. I typically eat one of two things for lunch every day. One is grilled fish/chicken and veggies. The other is a big salad with turkey/chicken/tuna. For sake of convenience I buy the pre-washed bagged lettuce. The 5oz size is the perfect size for one salad for me. I like the spring mix.

Greek Yogurt. I pretty much only use it as a substitute for sour cream. I get the Fage 0%.

Pollo Tropical. Chicken breast was mentioned as one of the obvious tools. Pollo Tropical is a fast food restaurant in my area that makes really good grilled chicken marinated in Caribbean spices. I probably get chicken from this place 3 to 4 times a week. Sometimes when I don't have time to cook I'll buy some boneless chicken breasts from there and incorporate it into other recipes. For example, I often use it in the chicken tikka masala that I make. I know that most of you won't have this chain near you, but I thought it was worth mentioning because many people think that fast food is inherently bad. There are, however, some good fast food. Boston Market is another place that I sometimes go to. Oh and Miami Subs (another local place). I get their Gyro meat sometimes when I have a craving for it. I'll eat it without any pita or put it on my own low-carb pita. SO good!

The Trunk of My Car. Ok, so I did think of a "tool", if I can call it one. This is my scientific method for portion control! This is where I put my almonds, if and when I buy them. If I keep them in my house or my desk at work, I will eat entire 1lb bag of them in a couple days. When I keep them in my car, I will take out a handful when I get to work and when I leave. But I have never gone out to my car to get them. So, it has worked for me. Its the ONLY thing that has kept me from binging on them! Now, if I could only store cheese in my trunk! I'm still working on that one.

ubergirl
04-15-2013, 12:16 PM
Single serving packages:

Cracker Barrel Low-fat cheese: one serving.
Safra Hummus: one serving
small yogurt cup: one serving
apple: (mother's nature's package) one serving.

When I eat a snack in a single-serving size it always seems like enough.

Radiojane
04-15-2013, 12:23 PM
tea! I've replaced gallons upon gallons of soda with green teas in great flavors!

time2lose
04-15-2013, 12:56 PM
Underwater and Joe,

What protein shakes do you like?

Thanks!

summerlove
04-15-2013, 01:25 PM
Counting calories! I've never been able to lose weight if I don't count calories...weight watchers points don't cut it either.

IanG
04-15-2013, 01:39 PM
A good digital scale that doesn't give you different numbers every time you step on it is the most important thing.

Closely followed by my digital travel scale that I can pack and take with me on foreign trips.

I would be dead in the water without my numbers.

But also hoppy beer. I know no-one trusts it but it kills my food cravings, offsets minor hunger and even large amounts don't seem to make me gain weight. Plus, I use beer as a reward to not eat the stuff that might tempt me. It's also a mild diuretic which helps me lose water (you pee more than the beer you drink)...but need to be careful I don't lose too much water and get dehydrated else I get a gain upon rehydration or a stall.

belovedspirit
04-15-2013, 03:25 PM
Trust. Trust in my body and it's hunger signals. Trust that I will not lose motivation. Trust that I am doing the right thing for my future family. Trust that my body is capable to losing. Trust that my body will equal out at a healthy weight. Trust I'll stop eating. Trust I'll make the right choices. Trust.

http://nicktumminello.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/tumblr_lkxsduy1Np1qe2t5to1_500-297x300.jpg

Oh, this is so beautiful and so true. Well said!

Trust
3FC website
Online recipes and beautiful food blogs with photos!
My printer for printing said recipes
Water and water bottles
A safe friend
My scale
Ability to purchase nutrition
My juicer
A willingness to try new foods
Stores with a variety of unique ingredients to aid me in my delicious recipe making!
A comfortable bed
A variety of clothing to accommodate my need for different sizes
Friends with whom I can talk weight loss :)
Self-acceptance and self-love (self-appreciation, positive self-regard, feeling I deserve to take care of myself)
Measuring spoons and measuring cups

joefla70
04-15-2013, 03:41 PM
Underwater and Joe,

What protein shakes do you like?

Thanks!

My favorite is the Atkins Cafe Mocha. Tastes really good-- if you like iced coffee. It is 160 calories, 15g protein. So creamy tasting. Both my wife and I really like this one.

The other one I drink which is good, but not as tasty as the Atkins, is the Pure Protein chocolate. That has 120 calories and 23g protein. My wife thinks this one has an aftertaste. I disagree.

veggiedawg
04-15-2013, 03:56 PM
Has anyone used one of these portion control tools for your plate?
www.amazon.com/Meal-Measure-Portion-Control-Tool/dp/B004Z0SDXC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366052037&sr=8-1&keywords=portion+control+plate

I'm very tempted to get one.

RavenWolf
04-15-2013, 04:51 PM
My Fitness Pal
3FC
The Zombies, Run game app
Endomondo app
Living in the country!

Keep Moving Forward
04-15-2013, 04:59 PM
My number one weight loss tool, the key to my continuing success, would be knowledge. Knowledge of portion control, nutrition, whole foods vs. processed foods, hidden sugars, hydration, supplements, exercise, strength training, cardio & everything I've learned or relearned about maintaining a healthy body.

The internet has been crucial to providing knowledge, & before I started learning from y'all, I honestly think browsing the Health & Fitness section of Pinterest is what helped lead me to much of what I have learned. It's where I first heard of clean eating & how I decided I wanted to work out with kettlebells. At some point, casually filling my head with ideas of health & fitness lead to making me want to be healthy & fit!

Keep Moving Forward
04-15-2013, 05:02 PM
Living in the country!

I second that! Living out of the city makes it SO inconvenient to get fast food or go to restaurants, or drop by ice cream places! I love that :)

wolfgirl69
04-15-2013, 05:05 PM
Weight tracking app on my phone! It holds me accountable for what I eat and adds up all the calories! It also has a set amount of calories for me (1357=2 pounds a week)-which is adjusted as I lose weight. It scans bar codes for nutrition labeling. It tells me when I will reach my goal (October 12th) And it has this ummm... uhh GRAPH and whenever it shows I've lose weight I feel super happy and rewarded!

Elladorine
04-15-2013, 05:36 PM
A Food Journal. I track everything I eat by writing it down in a day planner. It helps me immensely when it comes to staying mindful of my eating, and helps me prioritize what I should be eating and even when I can splurge.

Protein Bars. These have been great to get me by for breakfasts (allowing me more calories later in the day) or as filling snacks and treats. I started with Atkins Bars, but switched out to Pure Protein Bars and eventually discovered Quest Bars. By far, the Quest ones seem the healthiest because they don't use artificial sweeteners or sugar alcohols, and to me they're chewy and satisfying. If you ever decide to try protein bars, read the labels and watch for added sugar, they're not all alike!

Protein Powder. I don't have them as often now, but whenever I make breakfast smoothies with frozen berries, spinach, and yogurt, I like to add a scoop of protein powder as a supplement. It makes for a yummy dessert-like treat that's completely reasonable in calories. I like to use the Pure Protein brand in the vanilla flavor, since it provides a neutral flavor for the berries and doesn't have artificial sweeteners.

Large Plastic Bowl with Lid. I have a specific bowl I fell in love with from Walmart, but of course any seal-able bowl will do. I chop up a big batch of salad (http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/306884_535176386511236_908773014_n.jpg) to keep in the bowl for several days. Being tightly sealed can keep it fresh for over a week! And since it's so easy to pull it out, grab a serving, and stick it back in the fridge, I have no excuse not to get some fresh veggies in with each and every meal.

VitaCakes. With no preservatives and only 50 calories each, I can get my chocolate fix and not be tempted to go overboard and binge on them. I've found them at Walmart (in the freezer near the breakfast items), but they can also be ordered online.

CherryQuinn
04-15-2013, 05:44 PM
Best weight loss tool? Old pictures of myself! Lol.

Silverfire
04-15-2013, 06:06 PM
Digital sales (food and weigh)
Apples
Extra measuring cups/spoons (I have 3 sets of spoons now)
Holy Crap Cereal
Yogurt
Insulated water bottle (nothing grosser than room temp water!)
theberry.com's daily motivation
Bagged baby spinach
Quinoa
The interweebs
My Net Diary