Weight Loss Support - Permission to Eat My Trigger Food? It's Been 3 Months Without Ice Cream!

NorthernChick13
04-12-2013, 04:51 PM
Hey everyone!

I've got a question for you all! I'm lettin' my crazy hang out here! (as either Stephanie or Shiv recently wrote!)

I am a calorie counter and I aim for about 1500 a day. I know that I can eat whatever I want, weight loss wise, up to 1500...so this isn't a question about "healthy eating". Rather, it's a question about emotional eating and trigger foods!

I do what I can to never fully deprive myself. I let myself enjoy the odd chocolate or glass of wine within my calories, so that I am never feeling the need to super binge.

BUT my ultimate trigger food, that I haven't allowed myself to have since Christmas, is vanilla ice cream. Thank god it's 12 bucks a litre in my tiny town- that's enough of a deterrent already!

So, I want ice cream. I want it in the house. I want one serving, and then to rid the rest (i know it's a waste but I don't trust having it yet). My boyfriend and I have our first Spring bbq this weekend and I want ice cream for dessert!

Not sure if i am ready...is the only way to know to try?????

lmao i love how my life crisis today is whether or not to buy ice cream. haha let me know what you think and have a wonderful weekend!!!!

NorthernChick13
04-12-2013, 04:54 PM
lol upon reading this, I sound like a total idiot. Thank you for supporting my crazy, 3FC!

elvislover324
04-12-2013, 04:56 PM
:drool: I think you have earned yourself some ice cream!!!

Is there a way you can go to an ice cream shop and have a cone/cup and be done with it? That way you don't have to waste any or be tempted to have a bigger scoop or just one more spoonful, etc.

Either way, enjoy your BBQ and your ice cream and your new thinner body!!!

dstalksalot
04-12-2013, 05:25 PM
Wow....you are in the middle of nowhere it might be easier and cheaper to make your own. :-) Can you get some cream for cheaper?

I am a CC and have not had any ice cream for about a year. I have had frozen yogurt though and limit my portions.

Eat and share one serving with a friend .

elvislover324
04-12-2013, 05:41 PM
Thank you! That's an awesome idea! Unfortunately, I live in a tiny frozen town of 500 ppl, with only 1 store. We are a fly-in community, which means I can't even drive anywhere else.

lol i love sharing where i live: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulita

https://www.google.ca/search?q=tulita+northwest+territories&sugexp=chrome,mod%3D11&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=GmtoUbrJOaKRiALY0IHICw&biw=1055&bih=501&sei=HWtoUf2ODoW4iwKLwIEY

But yes, thank you for your input! I really appreciate how even the tiniest things that become mental can still be shared positively on 3FC :D

WOW!!! You definitely ARE northernchick LOL!!

And for the record, I love posts like these ones!! You worked your tail off since the beginning of the year and you want to splurge on a treat, I say go for it and enjoy it!! Our weightloss is as much mental as it is physical (maybe I'll dare say more mental!)!!:dizzy:

ReillyJ
04-12-2013, 05:55 PM
i think you are allowed! And i think you are allowed to do whatever it takes to keep on track, even if, FOR YOU, it means throwing an extra portion of spendy food away

It's what i do. i allow myself ONE day a week to eat whatever i want and i mean whatever i want. Then i immediately get back on track the rest of the week, eating healthy and enough but not too much. And if i have to throw away the extra to keep on track that way, then i do so. I just reign it in and i've managed to loose all the weight i need to even eating THOUSANDS of extra calories that one day (i am NOT NOT saying for you to do this, LOL) but yes, take that day and eat what you want of it without guilt, if you don't want the rest of it, throw it away without guilt if you are able, and then go about the rest of your week. Life is about discipline and about living! :carrot:

joefla70
04-12-2013, 06:03 PM
Take a protein shake and make into ice cream! Google "ziplock bag ice cream" for directions! It would be fun to make, and you know you'd only be making one portion, so you couldn't go crazy with it.

Mozzy
04-12-2013, 06:07 PM
I gave up ice cream last October (it's one of my ultimate loves).
Just recently (within the last two weeks) have I felt strong enough to enjoy a single serving of ice cream with in my calorie budget. I buy the skinny cow stuff. Eat one and them I'm fine for a few days.
I'm super impressed that I'm able to do that, it's a huge NSV for me!

joefla70
04-12-2013, 06:19 PM
I gave up ice cream last October (it's one of my ultimate loves).
Just recently (within the last two weeks) have I felt strong enough to enjoy a single serving of ice cream with in my calorie budget. I buy the skinny cow stuff. Eat one and them I'm fine for a few days.
I'm super impressed that I'm able to do that, it's a huge NSV for me!

I'm jealous! I started doing that and went down the slippery slope. It started out as an occasional treat, but then I started abusing it and having it every night almost, and more than I should have. It wasn't causing me to gain, but I didn't lose while I was doing this. Plus, I was snacking on other stuff like cheese and almonds. Its a wonder I didn't gain weight back! But since I cut out the late night snacking .... again.... I have been losing.

Unfortunately, I just can't trust myself to be responsible when it comes to these things!! As a result, I can't keep stuff like that in my house.

freelancemomma
04-12-2013, 07:05 PM
How about buying a vanilla ice cream cone periodically instead? As Krampus mentioned in another post, while we all seek to achieve a healthier relationship with food there's no point in "testing ourselves" by dangling our triggers in front of our eyes.

JMHO Freelance

PreciousMissy
04-12-2013, 07:25 PM
I would suggest dishing some out into a tupperware and immediately give the remaining liter to a friend with a large family.

This way, you get to have some, it won't be in your house, and if there are a lot of people in the family you give it to, it will be gone before you can ask for some more. You just have to be strong enough to NOT go back to the store.

Best of luck and enjoy your ice cream :)!!!

JohnP
04-12-2013, 07:32 PM
If I grant you permission to eat ice cream may I visit you in the future? :D

Personally if you've been able to avoid it for three months I think it's safe to assume you can eat some and not completely over do it.

Lecomtes
04-12-2013, 08:13 PM
Oh gosh, that's a tough one! Personally, I might buy some type of pre-packaged single serving, but if that's not an option in your remote location maybe have a dinner party with friends and share the larger amount? Haha, enjoy your ice cream! You have been doing wonderfully!

Novus
04-12-2013, 08:28 PM
If you like the flavor of banana ice cream, you might want to try Magic Ice Cream. (http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-creamy-ice-cream-w-93414) It's just....banana. You slice a banana, freeze it, and then whiz it up in the food processor. It totally feels like ice cream in your mouth, but in reality all you're eating is fruit. This stuff made me very happy Tuesday night. :D

Arctic Mama
04-12-2013, 10:27 PM
Sorry sweetie, you're getting NO pass from me. It's a trigger food for a reason, and having it in the house is a bad idea. Go out and get ONE serving or max, a small pint sized container. The best way to eat triggers is outside the house, so the quantities and frequency are limited.

Some folks can indeed bring triggers into their home without issue, but a fair number of us find the cravings and issues come back if the food is available and our palate tries it again. So controlling the big factor - availability - mitigates a ton of the potential damage that could occur. It's tempting fate to both consume a trigger AND have more available for additional consumption, you know?

Arctic Mama
04-12-2013, 10:28 PM
Thank you! That's an awesome idea! Unfortunately, I live in a tiny frozen town of 500 ppl, with only 1 store. We are a fly-in community, which means I can't even drive anywhere else.

lol i love sharing where i live: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulita

https://www.google.ca/search?q=tulita+northwest+territories&sugexp=chrome,mod%3D11&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=GmtoUbrJOaKRiALY0IHICw&biw=1055&bih=501&sei=HWtoUf2ODoW4iwKLwIEY

But yes, thank you for your input! I really appreciate how even the tiniest things that become mental can still be shared positively on 3FC :D

Ah, just saw this. Bummer you don't have it available in smaller quantities. I'd just serve myself and immediately rinse the rest down the sink, then. But that's me :)

NorthernChick13
04-12-2013, 10:46 PM
You guys are seriously more delicious than the ice cream! Thank you for your kindess!!!

I just bought the 2 Litre at the store (the smallest quantity) and had just half a cup! It's 120 calories! I gave some to my boyfriend and I decided not to keep it around till Sunday- bad idea! I am bringing it over to a friend's for our Friday night get together tonight!

I actually did it! I had ice cream in the house for 3 hours and didn't go overboard! lol and the funny thing is...it wasn't even as amazing as I remembered! I had been idealizing it! It was like running into an ex boyfriend and realizing they were sort of ugly all along!

Hahaha thanks for the support! It meant the world to me!!!!

gailr42
04-12-2013, 11:22 PM
Good on you! Ice cream isn't even a trigger for me, but if it is around and is a premium type, I will happily scarf it down. I don't like the cheap stuff.

I live in the southern California desert. My DH carps about having to drive 35 miles to town for groceries and Burger King etc. I'm gonna show him where you live. That should calm him down...LOL!

angelarm
04-13-2013, 01:13 AM
Yes! Enjoy it. And toss the rest if you need to. I do that all the time. I used to feel ridiculous about it but if it keeps me from binging, who cares?

Arctic Mama
04-13-2013, 01:21 AM
Great job! Doesn't that feel so good? I'm always super proud of myself when I'm in control and not the food, especially with something that used to really tempt me.

It makes me feel like superwoman :o

CanadianMomma
04-13-2013, 07:37 AM
NorthernChick I just wanted to chime in, I use to live in Yellowknife and get some of the unique parts of living in the north (mind you YK is much larger than where you are at).

Great job on resisting over doing the ice cream!

Munchy
04-13-2013, 07:41 AM
It was like running into an ex boyfriend and realizing they were sort of ugly all along!

Best.Description.Ever.

elvislover324
04-13-2013, 08:22 AM
Best.Description.Ever.

+1!!! I literally laughed out loud!

betsy2013
04-13-2013, 11:59 AM
If you like the flavor of banana ice cream, you might want to try Magic Ice Cream. (http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-creamy-ice-cream-w-93414) It's just....banana. You slice a banana, freeze it, and then whiz it up in the food processor. It totally feels like ice cream in your mouth, but in reality all you're eating is fruit. This stuff made me very happy Tuesday night. :D

I actually did it! I had ice cream in the house for 3 hours and didn't go overboard! lol and the funny thing is...it wasn't even as amazing as I remembered! I had been idealizing it! It was like running into an ex boyfriend and realizing they were sort of ugly all along!

Hahaha thanks for the support! It meant the world to me!!!!

Let me reinforce the frozen banana "ice cream" as it is truly delicious and so easy to make with a food processor. I saw one recipe where they added in a TBL of PB and some honey, but honestly, it's great just by itself. Just hold onto your food processor when it's in it's initial shredding of the frozen banana.

BUT, sounds like you were able to face your trigger food and win the battle. Loved the description of the ice cream and old boyfriends -- how true. I decided to try to satisfy my ice cream cravings with sugar free ice cream. Tasted delicious. Ate too much. Upset my tummy something awful for about 3 hours. Won't be doing that again!

Seashell84
04-13-2013, 02:13 PM
Good job! That is so true about the food not tasting as good. I used to love McDonald's, I was raised eating it all the time (small town, only fast food available), but after not having it for months it just tasted nasty to me. I haven't had it since.

I personally have found that I can't indulge in my trigger foods. First it starts out ok. But then I think "okay I ate it last time without losing control, I can have it again." But the more often I have it, the more I crave it and I end up spiraling out of control eventually.

Munchy
04-15-2013, 12:13 PM
Let me reinforce the frozen banana "ice cream" as it is truly delicious and so easy to make with a food processor. I saw one recipe where they added in a TBL of PB and some honey, but honestly, it's great just by itself. Just hold onto your food processor when it's in it's initial shredding of the frozen banana.

I second this. It has been my five year old's favorite "ice cream" from the moment she had it about two years ago. I put in 1/2T of chunky pb into mine, while she likes a spoonful of nutella, but it's delicious all on its own too.

I keep my freezer stocked with snack bags with a sliced frozen banana each just in case we want one. A bonus is that when your bananas are getting too ripe, you're not wasting food and can just freeze them instead.

LINK (http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-creamy-ice-cream-w-93414)

Renwomin
04-15-2013, 01:55 PM
I'm also endorsing finding a swap that will satisfy you just as well.

Love love the frozen banana ice cream.

I've also found that a vanilla yogurt cup with some nonfat whipped cream (only 6 calories per 2 TB) really satisfies a dessert craving. Adding fresh fruit to this makes it even more satisfying too.

Love skinny cow ice cream sandwiches at only 150 calories a piece. Frozen all fruit bars also can well satisfy a treat craving.

I'm really interested in trying Arctic Zero (http://www.arcticzero.com/pints.php) which is only about 150 calories for an entire pint. I can't say anything about the flavor though since I haven't tried it yet.

If I really like a food the first thing I try to do is find a satisfying food swap first that has lower calories. The beauty about swaps is that a good one doesn't have to then be a "special treat" it is a food that can just be integrated into your daily diet. But if a swap doesn't fit the bill then having those food in a moderated portion as a special once in a while treat isn't really that bad as long as it doesn't knock you off track.

Amarantha2
04-15-2013, 04:46 PM
Good for you for trying it out, eating a small portion & sending the rest out of the house.

Love your beautiful town. Thanks for the links!

ChickieBoom
04-15-2013, 05:24 PM
I'm jealous! I started doing that and went down the slippery slope. It started out as an occasional treat, but then I started abusing it and having it every night almost, and more than I should have. It wasn't causing me to gain, but I didn't lose while I was doing this. Plus, I was snacking on other stuff like cheese and almonds. Its a wonder I didn't gain weight back! But since I cut out the late night snacking .... again.... I have been losing.

Unfortunately, I just can't trust myself to be responsible when it comes to these things!! As a result, I can't keep stuff like that in my house.

Sadly this is me. I wish I could be one of those people who could have a little portion to satisfy a craving and move on. I don't know that I am and I'm too scared to even try. One bowl would turn into one pint and that would turn into a full on binge.

CleverName
04-15-2013, 06:36 PM
Glad to hear that you did so well!
And lol about your location - when I saw exactly where you are, my thought was 'Oh, well that's not too horribly far north.' It's all about perspective. ;) It's probably more the remoteness of your town being a fly-in community that is harder, rather than the latitude that you're at?
My hubby is a pilot and flys all over, he went up to Cambridge Bay and Resolute last week, and is in Mayo/Dawson today and up to Inuvik tomorrow.
Send me a pm, if dh ever happens to fly to your town, he could bring something for you if you like. :)