Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 04-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #1  

Default Welbutrin

Hey!

I hope this isn't a violation but I wanted to share my experience with a prescription drug that I have used to lose weight over the years. If you Google it you will find that a lot of people have had success with this drug and a lot of people have NOT. I'm only sharing it because if you happen to be one that it works for and you don't mind or suffer the side effects it could be pretty great for you. I don't like the side effects (see below) so I only use it when I am feeling desperate. But it works every time.

The drug is the anti-depressant Welbutrin ($10 generic). I originally took it in 2001 in the form of Zyban to quit smoking. Well, it worked. I also lost 10 lbs at the time. That's right, I quit smoking and lost weight at the same time! Going from 132 to 122 lbs. Pretty amazing. They say there is no "magic pill" but Welbutrin is that for me and for some other people as well. When I'm taking it I feel like I have total control over what I put in my mouth. It dulls my appetite and yet food still tastes good and I still enjoy eating. It's kind of hard to explain. And I also think it speeds up my metabolism. It is sometimes used off label for ADHD because of its "activating" properties.

I've used it two other times since then for weight loss effects only and each time I have effortlessly lost weight. It's pretty awesome.

You do have to use 300mg. The 150mg didn't do much for me.

The downside : It doesn't work for everyone. In fact, I think it probably works for less than half those who take it.

Also, it can cause some anxiety problems for a couple hours after taking the second dose. That's the main reason I'm trying to lose the last 10 lbs of pregnancy weight without it. It was worth dealing with the anxiety when it was just me. I don't feel like dealing with it and an 8 month old at the same time. If this weight doesn't come off soon I might take it again, though.

You should not take it if you have a history of anorexia, seizures, or heavy drinking either.

Again, I hope this isn't a violation or anything. I just see so many struggling and I know that some of you might not have to. Cheers!
Way2goU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #2  
Fat2FitChick

S/C/G: 152/118/118

Height: 5'3"

Smile Re:

Well... I can't tell you if it is a violation or not as I'm a pretty new member myself however it doesn't seem like a violation, it seems as though you're simply trying to share an experience and help others.

I think it really all depends on the person. I have enough stress in my life, I would never be able to handle a pill that caused anxiety. And quite honestly... anxiety would probably lead to me over-eating. Or not eating at all... which might be how the pill works! Who knows. Great for you that you found something that works but be careful taking a pill like that with a baby around when Post-Partum depression can be so common these days. Best of luck losing the baby weight the "old-fashioned way"
fithappens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #3  

Height: 5'4"

I don't necessarily think it's a violation either, but I think you should avoid recommending particular doses etc. That's what the doctor who prescribes the drug is for!

I'm on Zoloft and have been on Paxil in the past, for depression/anxiety. I also do pretty well in terms of weight loss when I'm on an effective dose of these. I really noticed when I had my Zoloft dosage increase a few months ago, I could not sit still and my appetite was down for about a week. I was extra fidgety and at times really felt like I was losing my mind.

Once that buzz wore off, I think it has helped me lose weight in the sense that my depression was finally back under control and I found better ways to spend my time than sitting in front of the TV eating!
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote