Old 04-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Default "Landmines" ... tales and tactics!

I'm starting this thread because many of us have stories about things people say and do intentionally, or unintentionally that add an unnecessary battle to the war we are all fighting. I call those people "landmines" on the battlefield.

Some times a landmine turns into a supporter...sometimes not...How do you handle your landmines? And how do you recognize who needs to know all about your journey? Additionally, some of us prefer some space and privacy in this, and the tell-all route to everyone who asks is not our thing.

Last edited by 65X65; 04-08-2013 at 08:15 AM.
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #2  
Reboot Jan 2018

Height: 5'7"

I've got to be honest that I was lucky during my 'battle' and didn't encounter any landmines. My family, friends and coworkers have been nothing but supportive. I'm glad that I didn't have to deal with this as IP is a tough program to follow and dealing with unsupportive people would have made it that much harder.
Cheekyskeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #3  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

I just bumped a thread that had this same topic.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 178/start IP 159.8/134.8/130

Height: 5'3"

My very best friend who has never had a weight problem, eats whatever she wants and stays a size 4, walked into my house on Easter Sunday and said "If you are dieting today I am going home!" Then a few nights later while celebrating our birthday (we have the same bday) she said I'm not going out with you if you are dieting and won't have a glass of wine with me.

This is someone who I love dearly and has always been a huge support to me, in every way, so I was surprised by her attitude. I finally figured out that since weight has never been an issue for her and she doesn't see me as being heavy she thinks food is no big deal. I sat her down and explained to her how I feel about my weight, how it effects me and every part of my life and asked for her support. She was dumbfounded and apologetic. She is now one of my biggest cheerleaders!

As far as people noticing my weight loss and asking how I am shrinking (yay)
it depends on who asks or the mood I am in as to how far I want to explain.
I hope you are doing well and have a good support system built in. This diet is hard enough , no land mines please!

Last edited by Happymomof2; 04-08-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Happymomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #5  

Height: 5'7

Happymomof2, that is great! I had a brief moment with my best friend like that, but it was very brief.
There is however this ONE little naysayer at work who likes to slam the program because "low carb diets don't work" Pfft, I'm living proof that they do! I just let her be because she's one of those 20 somethings that just knows everything.

(disclaimer*not that all 20 somethings are this way, obviously)

If you could only see her smug little face.....

But I have enough supporters and this great site to help me keep my eye on the prize!
ZOMBIEDAWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #6  

there are so many landmines as you go through this process. For me I have found that once I get my thinking right others cannot sway me. BUT I have been at this since October so I have had some experiences. The latest one is the woman in the office who met goal on IP in November and is now eating her weight back. People are saying that I will do the same thing so enjoy it while I can. Maybe, yes but most likely no. I have learned how to eat properly and a box of crackers is not a serving size. Finding out that girl scout cookie boxes aren't single size servings burst my bubble too! Seriously though, its not just about getting the weight off but also learning how we put it on in the first place. My weight will be a lifelong battle for me but knowing this and working IP, I think I will be ok!
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #7  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Height: 5'7"

The only one that bothered me was a very good friend who is a Weight Watchers addict (she's always on it, loses 15, gains it back, loses it again).

2 weeks into the diet when I'd only lost 6 lbs, and we went out to dinner, and she watches me order my very picky dinner, she told me, "No way you're going to stick to this for any length of time. It's too hard. That's why I do Weight Watchers, it's easy."

I told her then that I was doing this diet until I reached my healthy weight.

30 lbs later, she tells me she's proud of me and that I surprised her. She has turned into one of my biggest supporters.
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #8  
began IP May 25

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll74 View Post
I just bumped a thread that had this same topic.
ragdoll74 - I just read through the thread you bumped and wondering how your work issue was resolved...

My biggest landmines have been family - though none of them have been outright negative about it. My very first week I was at my moms, with salad in hand to have while they ate their normal dinner. Mom, sis, & niece/nephews go to town to get ice cream cones just BEFORE dinner is ready! Did I want to go along? NO! I went home early instead, before they got back. Now, they think they're being supportive, but then go on to say "I could never give up the foods I love," and insist on the usual high calorie/fat dishes for holiday meals that we've always had. Or like my VIP...he really wants to see me succeed in maintenance, but brings home a nutty donut to share, and gave me a very large choc bar for Easter! (I did not eat it, and told him to get it out of the house.) Him I can have an honest talk with and he will stop doing these things. Everyone else though...idk. It is so hard. Maybe I'm just going to have to continue taking my own meals to family dinners...
greeniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniris View Post
ragdoll74 - I just read through the thread you bumped and wondering how your work issue was resolved...

My biggest landmines have been family - though none of them have been outright negative about it. My very first week I was at my moms, with salad in hand to have while they ate their normal dinner. Mom, sis, & niece/nephews go to town to get ice cream cones just BEFORE dinner is ready! Did I want to go along? NO! I went home early instead, before they got back. Now, they think they're being supportive, but then go on to say "I could never give up the foods I love," and insist on the usual high calorie/fat dishes for holiday meals that we've always had. Or like my VIP...he really wants to see me succeed in maintenance, but brings home a nutty donut to share, and gave me a very large choc bar for Easter! (I did not eat it, and told him to get it out of the house.) Him I can have an honest talk with and he will stop doing these things. Everyone else though...idk. It is so hard. Maybe I'm just going to have to continue taking my own meals to family dinners...
I'll meet you in Elk Rapids this summer when my family wants to go to Chef Charles for pizza. You & I can meet for salad (& complain about the food exposure from family). I'll be there for the month of July & I'm already nervous! There is just SO.MUCH.FOOD around everywhere, all the time!

Not quite sure what the strategy will be. It's not the meals. Its just the foods sitting out that everyone just grabs for snacks continuously. I'll be stocking up on veggies for sure! I'm pretty sure I won't be at goal yet. Not sure if I'll be on P2 by then or not.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #10  
began IP May 25

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
I'll meet you in Elk Rapids this summer when my family wants to go to Chef Charles for pizza. You & I can meet for salad (& complain about the food exposure from family). I'll be there for the month of July & I'm already nervous! There is just SO.MUCH.FOOD around everywhere, all the time!

Not quite sure what the strategy will be. It's not the meals. Its just the foods sitting out that everyone just grabs for snacks continuously. I'll be stocking up on veggies for sure! I'm pretty sure I won't be at goal yet. Not sure if I'll be on P2 by then or not.
I look forward to meeting you! Maybe Molly can join us too, if we can all coordinate our schedules.
greeniris is offline   Reply With Quote