Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2001, 12:07 AM   #1  

I just started interval training and I am unclear about my intensity. I read one article that said do 90 and 90 and then another that said 2-3 minutes of high intensity and 3-4 minutes of low intensity.

I don't know about this "intensity" business. I know that I do the 90 and 90 (90 seconds at each...high and low) and that at the high I feel like I'm going to die. I heard the only way for interval training to work as a power workout is to really crank up the intensity when doing the high part. How high is high? I do as much as I can do without collapsing. On the treadmill I have the incline up to 8 and the speed up to 5 or 6 (running) and then on the low I go down to 2 incline and 3.5 in speed. How should I figure my intensity? I have heard that the interval training is unmatched in fat reducing and endurance building but that is if I don't die first. Anyone else do this? Thanks for any pointers/helps/hints/thoughts.

Susan
Old 03-09-2001, 08:01 AM   #2  
REC

I've read a few things about interval training, the most recently in Body for Life. Seems to me, as a layperson, that if you cannot sustain your "9" for 90 seconds, it's not really a "9" but higher. Why don't you bring it down a bit. Or do one minute intervals.

In Body for life, his recommendation goes like this, with changes every minute (numbers are for perceived exertion based on 10 point scale): 5,5,6,7,8,9,6,7,8,9,6,7,8,9,6,7,8,9,10,5. I did this a few times on a machine (walking is my preferred exercise), and felt challanged and worked-out after just the 20 minutes. This method is also what my trainer recommended to me (and he didn't read the book).

Hope this helps.
Old 03-09-2001, 11:58 AM   #3  

thank you again REC!!!!!

What is a 5 supposed to feel like? I guess I am unclear as to what each level is supposed to feel like. I don't want to underdo it nor overdo it. I also don't want to flail about mindlessly. What is Body for Life?

Susan
Old 03-09-2001, 03:14 PM   #4  
REC

Body for Life (12 Weeks to Mental and Physical Strength) is a NYTimes Bestseller by Bill Phillips, which outlines a training program with weights, aerobic program, and eating program, for quick results now and ease of staying on program. Most WW ignore the eating part. You can get the book onsale, in used bookstores or borrow it from the library.

He gives some examples in the book (page 61):

Level 1--Sitting on couch watching TV

Level 2--Standing

Level 3--Walking

Level 4--Carrying a couple bags of groceries in from the car

Level 5--Carrying those groceries up flight of stairs

(no examples for levels 6-8)

Level 9--PERHAPS you could do another (rep, for example) if you REALLY tried. A solid effort!

Level 10--You absolutely positively could not do any more, gave it all your energy, and even tapped your inner strength.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by REC; 03-09-2001 at 03:17 PM.
Closed Thread