100 lb. Club - Seattle metro folks

View Full Version : Seattle metro folks

rodeogirl
04-07-2013, 11:57 PM
Seems like we have a few locals in this 100lb club - was just wondering who we have. It'd be nice to share some local information on farmers markets and walking trails or whatever else.

I'm out in North Bend and work in Bellevue - and have lived all over WA from Fox Island to Whidbey to Issaquah and Woodinville, down to Kent over to Eburg and Yakima and lots more.

If you live in other parts of WA or BC feel free to jump in.

If you're from Oregon, though, forget it! :p (j/k, j/k)

SarahFairhope
04-08-2013, 09:59 AM
Im not in the Seattle area right now, but we are moving there this summer! Im excited to read up on some inside info!

Misti in Seattle
04-08-2013, 11:08 AM
Wow, fantastic idea for a thread!!

:wave: Saying hello from Kenmore... work in Redmond... spend every minute I can every chance I get at my favorite B&B... Anchorage Inn... one block from the waterfront in the lovely Victorian village of Coupeville (Whidbey Island)!!

I will start by saying there is a wonderful market in Bothell called "Yakima Fruit Market" -- during the summer they have the BEST local produce at good prices.

But all year round for fantastic organic produce, great organic pastas, nuts, other foods... wonderful hot and cold food bars, etc... we have a wonderful supermarket called PCC... biggest one is in Edmonds but they also have locations other places. I drive past a bunch of other grocery stores just to shop there!

For fresh raspberries in season, check out Dugalla Bay Farms in Oak Harbor on Whidbey Island!! In fact I just went to their Facebook page and looks as if they are open all year for other stuff too. Also lots of good blueberry and strawberry farms on Whidbey. The weekly farmer's market in summer in Coupeville has lots of good local produce and crafts... and fantastic arts festival every year first weekend in August. I do my Christmas shopping there. I found a wonderful artist there for fantastic easy listening music... Gary Jess. If you like easy listening, check him out!!

Misti in Seattle
04-08-2013, 11:11 AM
Im not in the Seattle area right now, but we are moving there this summer! Im excited to read up on some inside info!

Welcome to our side of the world! :lol: I lived in Fort Lauderdale for 4 years so was a "right coaster" for a while too

SarahFairhope
04-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Thanks Misti! I am really, very excited. Its been a bit hard to get an online lay of the land. Seems like neighborhoods and suburbs are really different in the Seattle area -- and the price differences are STAGGERING. Currently looking at possibly Bothell. I just cant validate spending 2200/rent to live in Seattle proper or Redmond. Ya-ouch!

rodeogirl
04-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Not specific to Seattle but I love Trader Joe's and there are enough of them around. Good food at decent prices. There is a PCC on Avondale in Redmond that's pretty good - a little more spendy.

I have a friend who used Full Circle Farm (http://www.fullcircle.com/) and really liked them. They deliver fresh produce to you once a week. I might try them when I have a little more spare cash.

Sarah - I love our side of the world but prepare yourself for traffic and rain. Before you pick a place to live you should test your commute at the time you will be commuting. And if you test in the summer know it will be longer in the winter. Our winters often get the better of people - it basically is grey/overcast/raining from November until May and mostly raining until July 5th. And while we're not Alaska we are North enough that in December/January you will go to work in the dark and leave in dark and some people can't handle that.

But August - it's like living in paradise. :)

rodeogirl
04-08-2013, 11:50 AM
Also, everyone will know you weren't raised here if you use an umbrella. :)

Misti in Seattle
04-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Thanks Misti! I am really, very excited. Its been a bit hard to get an online lay of the land. Seems like neighborhoods and suburbs are really different in the Seattle area -- and the price differences are STAGGERING. Currently looking at possibly Bothell. I just cant validate spending 2200/rent to live in Seattle proper or Redmond. Ya-ouch!

Oh yay, Bothell! It is right down the road from me. I love Bothell... just bought my condo in Kenmore because it is so much cheaper. If you move to Bothell we will be able to easily meet if you would like.

And not sure where on the East Coast you are but for sure in Fort Lauderdale the layout was totally different... so many gated communities and stuff, which are not very common here at all. And the "atmosphere" there was much more formal.

Yes, this is definitely an expensive area! But the landscape and beauty of this place is to die for!!!! Have you been here before?

Misti in Seattle
04-08-2013, 12:01 PM
Also, everyone will know you weren't raised here if you use an umbrella. :)

LOL yeh.... might as well put a big sign on your back that says "TOURIST" :rofl:

Tziri
04-08-2013, 12:02 PM
Well I'm not in Seattle but I was just in North Bend a couple days ago! I am hoping to hike quite a few trails a long the pass this summer though. I live in Ellensburg for now (moving to Pullman in July). Just wanted to say hi!! Ohh and I LOVE Trader Joe's. I wish we had one around here.

rodeogirl
04-08-2013, 12:03 PM
LOL yeh.... might as well put a big sign on your back that says "TOURIST" :rofl:

The only legit reason for using an umbrella is if you are dressed up to go to the 5th Avenue or Benaroya hall and you have to walk several blocks.

Even then I wouldn't use an umbrella but I can understand the people who do. I honestly don't even know where you buy umbrellas - you would think they'd be everywhere but I can't remember the last time I saw one in a store.

rodeogirl
04-08-2013, 12:06 PM
Tziri - I spent quite a few years in Eburg - I really love it and Yakima. Yes I loved living in Yakima, and I'm not afraid to say it. :)

Misti in Seattle
04-08-2013, 12:06 PM
rodeogirl, too funny... I absolutely LOVE our gentle rain and cool cloudy days... and the way it keeps everything so clean and green. But yes, there is plenty of sunshine too if you just wait for it, ha.

And I often go to the PCC in Redmond on my way home from work, although on weekends I prefer the larger Edmonds one. Sometimes they can be pricey but not as much as they get called. This summer their produce was cheaper and better than either Safeway or QFC... and my Vegenaise is over $1.00 more at Fred Meyer than PCC. But yes, if you eat whole foods and organic it does cost a bit more at the store... but I've saved it at the doctor's office; not even a cold all winter.

Good advice about the commute! Fortunately where I live I can get to work and back... and church and back... without ever going on the freeway, which is a total disaster. But there are a LOT of back roads to places, ha. But definitely need to figure out the commute before deciding where to live!!

Misti in Seattle
04-08-2013, 12:09 PM
The only legit reason for using an umbrella is if you are dressed up to go to the 5th Avenue or Benaroya hall and you have to walk several blocks.

Even then I wouldn't use an umbrella but I can understand the people who do. I honestly don't even know where you buy umbrellas - you would think they'd be everywhere but I can't remember the last time I saw one in a store.

LOL they are not big sellers. :) I own a couple of them but did not even know where they are until recently deep cleaning the condo and found one of them. I can't imagine using it though LOL.

One nice thing about here as compared to most places is that there is very seldom any lightning or thunder... so you CAN walk and run in the rain safely, which to me is a huge advantage because I love it.

rodeogirl
04-08-2013, 12:10 PM
And I often go to the PCC in Redmond on my way home from work, although on weekends I prefer the larger Edmonds one. Sometimes they can be pricey but not as much as they get called. This summer their produce was cheaper and better than either Safeway or QFC... and my Vegenaise is over $1.00 more at Fred Meyer than PCC. But yes, if you eat whole foods and organic it does cost a bit more at the store... but I've saved it at the doctor's office; not even a cold all winter.

Yeah it's good for quite a few things - it's definitely a better deal than Whole Foods which is ridiculously expensive in my opinion.

I make due with Costco and Trader Joes mostly. :)

Misti in Seattle
04-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Tziri - I spent quite a few years in Eburg - I really love it and Yakima. Yes I loved living in Yakima, and I'm not afraid to say it. :)

LOL I would not be able to handle all that dry heat and desert! But they have great tomatoes ha

betsy2013
04-08-2013, 12:29 PM
Hi. I'm down in Eatonville which is about 20 miles from Mt. Rainier. For Farmer's Market's I go to Olympia or Puyallup. Love the one in Olympia just because it becomes a day's outing.

For trails there are lots of trails around here -- converted Rails to Trails one of which starts in Yelm and runs to Olympia, one down by Orting that runs almost to Puyallup. And, of course, there are what the hikers refer to as "real" trails with all the national park and forest land around here.

I've been here 7 years and got to laughing about the umbrellas. On the rainy days where it's that gentle mist, I don't use one either. However, this weekend it was raining buckets and I would have used an umbrella if I'd gone out.

SarahFairhope
04-08-2013, 12:34 PM
Sarah - I love our side of the world but prepare yourself for traffic and rain. Before you pick a place to live you should test your commute at the time you will be commuting. And if you test in the summer know it will be longer in the winter. Our winters often get the better of people - it basically is grey/overcast/raining from November until May and mostly raining until July 5th. And while we're not Alaska we are North enough that in December/January you will go to work in the dark and leave in dark and some people can't handle that.

But August - it's like living in paradise. :)

Yeah, while Im looking online, Im using a online program to create a commute grid (hoping the info is accurate) and trying to balance commute with cost. Im not too worried about the weather. My husband was born and raised IN Alaska! And I met him/married and lived in Alaska for about 5 years. My sister is actually still in Alaska and I love the idea of being only a flight away from her. Anyway, dealing with weather and seaonal light issues are hopefully still old hat for us. :)

Oh yay, Bothell! It is right down the road from me. I love Bothell... just bought my condo in Kenmore because it is so much cheaper. If you move to Bothell we will be able to easily meet if you would like.

And not sure where on the East Coast you are but for sure in Fort Lauderdale the layout was totally different... so many gated communities and stuff, which are not very common here at all. And the "atmosphere" there was much more formal.

Yes, this is definitely an expensive area! But the landscape and beauty of this place is to die for!!!! Have you been here before?

I'd love to get together if we end up close buy! Maybe some lunch and farmer's market shopping? I'd could use the experts lay of the land. :D

We currently about an hour north of Boston. And its actually the formality and culture here that I just dont care for. After living in Alaska, where EVERYTHING is just more laid back and casual, but just as nice - this uppity east coast thing just is not really for me.

And I havent been to Seattle much (flown through, stayed a quick overnight once), but I responded (Red Cross Disaster Responser) to the floods in Northern Oregon (Astoria etc) and just fell in love with how beautiful the area was there. STUNNING. So, Seattle is pretty close? And my husband is a software engineer and for his career, Seattle is just nearly unbeatable.

Hopefully I can get to ONEderland before I get there! I can't imagine seeing a new city/new city seeing me only in the 100s!

rodeogirl
04-08-2013, 12:56 PM
If you're an Alaskan veteran you should be just fine in Seattle - we don't have the mosquitos that Alaska does so that's a bonus!

Tons of software jobs - I've been in the industry and all my brothers are as well. Now I teach computers and am the IT person for a tiny school that gives second chances to students who have failed at public high school. I love it!

Misti in Seattle
04-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Yes, if you lived in Alaska you will be just fine here! And I am about 3 miles from Bothell... in Kenmore... and I live about one mile from the Seattle city line; so yes, it is close. And there are bus lines which are great to take and avoid parking if you just want to have a fun day exploring downtown. And be sure to hop on a ferry and see the Islands!!

And North Bend is not all that far away either!!! About 40 miles. Eatonville about 70... the other direction

We have it all... easy day's driving to the mountains, ocean, desert... whatever you want! :)

And yes, software jobs should be fairly easy to get; this is the place for that!

And you are making me feel better. I considered moving to Boston when I first moved to Portland OR from Missouri. But I do NOT like formality either and that almost drove me crazy in Fort Lauderdale, even though they *consider* themselves casual. To them, "casual" meant a matching two-piece shorts outfit. Here it means throwing on your jeans and a sweatshirt LOL... and a black fleece if it is cold or raining.

There is more to consider than distance in the commute. If you can do so at all avoid the freeways. They are total parking lots, and the mass transit here is horrible; in fact pretty much non-existent. You can get to downtown Seattle fairly easily from most places, but nowhere else LOL. There are a lot of van pools though.

There are some real drawbacks to living here for sure... but all in all it is a wonderful part of the country to live in!

Misti in Seattle
04-08-2013, 02:17 PM

True. And assuming you don't mind being considered a wimp :rofl:

Use an umbrella you are considered either a wimp or a tourist :rain:

Tziri
04-08-2013, 04:49 PM
I would never want to live in Yakima but they do have the best fresh fruit from the orchards.

rodeogirl
04-08-2013, 05:41 PM
I didn't want to live in Yakima but was working on the reservation in White Swan so Yakima was the best place to live and after I'd been there awhile I really enjoyed it.

Best taco stands for low price and deliciousness!

Misti in Seattle
04-08-2013, 08:28 PM
I would never want to live in Yakima but they do have the best fresh fruit from the orchards.

I agree completely! They can send all the fresh produce down here they want and I'll do my part ha

rodeogirl
04-10-2013, 06:04 PM
Hey it looks like it's finally clearing up which is motivating me to get walking today. It's been pretty rainy in North Bend this week - we get some heavier rains here I think because we're so close to the mountains -- well we're IN the mountains haha.

Anyhow we get a bit of a break in the weather for some outdoor activities.

Misti in Seattle
04-12-2013, 03:04 AM
Actually, rodeogirl, we have had some of the heaviest rains this week that I have ever seen here! But then I love it LOL

I am so glad you started this great thread! It is fun getting to "know" some people whom I might actually get to meet in 3D!! :)

rodeogirl
04-12-2013, 01:01 PM
I think there might be more lurking as well. :)

foe3643
04-21-2013, 06:38 PM
I'm a newbie to Edmonds and Washington in general. Can someone tell me what PCC is? And nope, no umbrella here either!

Anyone in Edmonds looking for an evening walking partner?

rodeogirl
04-22-2013, 02:02 AM
PCC is like Whole Foods but not quite as expensive. Lots of organic stuff. :)

betsy2013
04-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Just back from a weekend of camping at Bay View State Park on Padilla Bay. I LOVE this state with the mountains, water, and the desert side of the mountains, too. Always lots of things to do here and a whole lot of them can be done for free!

Misti in Seattle
04-22-2013, 12:51 PM
PCC is like Whole Foods but not quite as expensive. Lots of organic stuff. :)

And a LOT more organic stuff... a lot of WF stuff has the same ole HFCS, etc. in it as the regular grocery stores. PCC is a lot more picky. :) They have a wonderful hot bar and cold foods bar. Yummmm I drive there just to shop.

Misti in Seattle
04-22-2013, 12:52 PM
I'm a newbie to Edmonds and Washington in general. Can someone tell me what PCC is? And nope, no umbrella here either!

Anyone in Edmonds looking for an evening walking partner?

Welcome to Washington! Wish I was a bit closer and I would take you up on your offer... I'm 7 miles from Edmonds.

And glad you are already wise enough to ditch the umbrella here ha ha

rodeogirl
05-04-2013, 11:44 AM
<looks outside>

We live in the BEST PLACE EVER....

rodeogirl
05-04-2013, 10:28 PM
Man - o - man (My oh My! I miss Dave N!!!)

Anyhow the weather today is WHY people put up with 7 months of rain/gray/drizzle. The sky was so blue, the mountains so clear, the hiking was epic! I love it here!!!

betsy2013
05-05-2013, 12:24 PM
Yep, Rodeo, these days are why people live here. The rest of the country has had the weirdest spring weather -- it's still snowing on the Plains -- and we're having one of the most beautiful springs I can remember. I've been getting lots done in the yard which is good because lots needs to be done!