Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-07-2013, 12:17 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

Default Distorted Body Image: Having an Issue...

Okay, so here's the deal:

I'm down 34 pounds since January 1st. I started at 229 and today weighed 195.4. My husband is so proud of me and I can genuinely see and feel that from him. A couple of days ago, my son took a pic of me (which you can see on my blog here.) In that picture, I look pretty good to myself. My husband says that shirt/outfit make me look skinny.

Then, our personal trainer friend has taken to calling me "Sexy" and "Miss Skinny." (No, her comments do not bother or offend me.) I know it is her way of keeping me motivated and encouraging me to continue.

So where is the problem? I sooo had it in my head from looking at that pic and the comments hubby and some of my friends have been saying that I do, in fact, "look skinny."

To top it off, I have gone down from a 24 to an 18, so I know I am "skinnier" than I was 3 months ago.

So I looked up one of those normal/overweight/obese charts, and I'm still massively (pun intended!) obese! That means there is no WAY I can "look" the way I thought I did. Does this rant even make sense?

I look better, sure. But I'm no where near healthy looking. And now I'm just mad because I KNOW I am still obese! I haven't even come close to just being overweight.

I'm so disgusted and needed to vent. Boo for distorted body image! Just, boo!!

Oh, and according to the chart I was checking, my goal of 135 pounds is OVERWEIGHT for my 62 inch frame. I'll still be fat at my goal! WTH?????
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:33 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

I have the same problem! I keep forgetting I'm still fat (and I think my BMI is a couple of points higher than yours, like 35). But I'm way smaller than I was and so much more comfortable.

But, no matter what the stupid charts say, I really think you look great in that pic and I would never label you in my head as being big if I saw you out in the world. You look healthy and normal.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:40 AM   #3  
banned

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenWolf View Post
Oh, and according to the chart I was checking, my goal of 135 pounds is OVERWEIGHT for my 62 inch frame. I'll still be fat at my goal! WTH?????
Huh?!

What chart are you looking at? I'm 63 inches and 137 lbs, and according to every BMI calculator on Earth, that is within the healthy range, so how could 135 be overweight for 62 inches?
Silver Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:40 AM   #4  

Exactly! I keep "forgetting that I'm fat!" What an awesome way of putting it! And now that I think of it, a lot of that has to do with how much better I feel physically and how far I have come activity wise.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:42 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sky View Post
Huh?!

What chart are you looking at? I'm 63 inches and 137 lbs, and according to every BMI calculator on Earth, that is within the healthy range, so how could 135 be overweight for 62 inches?
If you know of a more accurate chart, please share!! I'm so disappointed. Maybe I was looking at a crappy out of whack chart.

I just "knew" 135 was a healthy weight, so to see it listed as still overweight boggled my mind!
Old 04-07-2013, 12:43 AM   #6  
banned

Height: 5'3

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bmi-calculator/NU00597
Silver Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:54 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

This article is insane: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bmi/MY01306 . I can't believe they never tell us what the definition of obese is. Is it based on percentage of body fat? At any rate, if 63% of 20 to 33 yo women are obese, then I think we need to change the definition of obesity.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:23 AM   #8  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenWolf View Post
If you know of a more accurate chart, please share!! I'm so disappointed. Maybe I was looking at a crappy out of whack chart.

I just "knew" 135 was a healthy weight, so to see it listed as still overweight boggled my mind!
I think you were. I am 5'2 (and half. lol) and my goal is 135 too, just below overweight.

I was the same way when I got below 200. I felt so good even knowing that I was still obese then but I was constantly reminded of that when I see it in pics or just put my stats in the BMI calculator for kicks. I had to keep looking at the old 230lb pictures of me to remind myself of the differences to keep my focus away from that fact. As you get smaller and smaller, you will start to feel better, more confident and even.. SEXY! It took me 60lbs to finally be in overweight territory and it was worth it. Just remember, every pound you take off is healthier for you regardless of BMI etc.

Last edited by amandie; 04-07-2013 at 01:24 AM.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:16 AM   #9  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

I feel the exact same way. I've lost a lot of weight, feel so much better, and in my head I am thin. Then I see a candid photo and say, "ugh". I feel like by now I should be thin, when in reality I'm right on the border of overweight and normal BMI.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:11 AM   #10  

I go through the same thing, Raven.

I have made so much progress but then look in the mirror and want to cry. Other days, I'm like "yeah, look at me!". And it can be with the same exact clothes on, just different days and different mindsets.

Technically I am skinny compared to what I used to be, I went from a 26-28 last August to a 16 now. But the thought of my BMI still being so unhealthy and having another 45-50lbs to get off, it's totally overwhelming! I have 25lbs +/- to get to the overweight category, then the total 45-50 to get to the brink of normal.

I try to find something to celebrate about myself every day, even if I'm still living a little (lot?) large. I just keep remembering, it's one pound at a time and one day at a time!

You are doing wonderful things for yourself and we will both get "there"!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #11  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Same here. It's all part of the weightloss madness.

I have another level where the person I see in the mirror is thinner than the one in the photo.

Mad.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #12  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

First of all, you look fantastic! I can see how hard you’ve worked to get where you are; there is a huge (pun intended) difference in your photos.

I use the Center for Disease Control BMI calculator. http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/***...alculator.html We’re the same height, and a “normal” weight range for shorties like us is between 101-136 pounds. I’ve crossed referenced this with other calculators and they say the same thing, give or take a pound. Don’t let that derail you, we all know that the BMI is meant as a general guideline. You may end up feeling and looking better than your best at 135 and might be totally happy with calling that goal. The BMI is a great tool but we can’t forget that it isn’t individualized in the least.

You carry your weight very well. Way better than I do. When I was somewhere in the 180’s my chin and neck were a single entity: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...-progress.html.

All that said, you do still have a little way to go until you’re in a “healthy” weight range. 195 pounds is a lot for someone as short as us to carry. That doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t feel good about your success though, because you have had tremendous success. Think about how good you felt about your appearance and imagine how much better you’ll feel in 10 pounds, 20 pounds, however many pounds. Use it as a motivator! “Gee, I feel f***ing phenomenal and I’m still technically ‘obese’! I’m going to feel f***ing phenomenal plus a bag of kale chips when I’m in the ‘overweight’ range!”

You got this!

Last edited by Missy Krissy; 04-07-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #13  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

I'm still in the obese bmi category, but what gets me through that realization is that my bmi number is going down! I am making progress! It'll be a while before I'm overweight or even healthy, but everyday is a step in the right direction!

Congrats on your progress so far, keep up the good work!

Last edited by Mozzy; 04-07-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote