100 lb. Club - I'm having an affair with my scale.

lunarsongbird
04-06-2013, 10:21 PM
Why am I so emotionally attached to the number on the scale?

I am beginning to develop a roller coaster of weight loss pattern. I'm averaging a 4-6 pound weight gain every two weeks with hormone cycles. It's exhausting.

Every single time I go to weigh-in at the center (twice a week)- I'm down in body fat. My body fat has never gone up...but my weight is all over the place.

Why can't I just come to terms with the fact that I'm moving forward? I'm shrinking. I'm losing fat.

But why am I SOOOO attached to the silly scale?
http://cdn3.healthcommunities.com/image-gallery/size_175x175/crop_w/dir/2012/07/tied-to-scale-mf.jpg

I am working on it, but it's challenging.

Does anyone feel the same way or have any tips?

IanG
04-06-2013, 10:28 PM
Focus on where you have come from. That gets me through the up days.

After all, you are 30lbs down! Go girl!

And there ain't no one here love the scale as much as I do. (I even shouted at my wife for moving it the other day...big oops. All of a sudden it becomes a "precision instrument"!)

Mozzy
04-06-2013, 10:31 PM
Graphing really helped me keep the scale in perspective.

Maybe making a graph will help you take some of the emotions out of weighing?

lunarsongbird
04-06-2013, 10:37 PM
http://swtc.lilyslim.com/xQDRbbw.png
I did indeed start a graph. You can see that it started to get a bit wonky last month.

My consultant says that as I continue to lose body fat- it will release more and more estrogen and I can expect some funkiness on the scale. :: sigh ::

Ian- You crack me up.

slick776
04-07-2013, 01:30 AM
I had the same problem. I would weigh myself up to 3 times a day. I eventually put my scale away under the sink so I wouldn't habitually weigh myself whenever I saw it.

immaculate
04-07-2013, 01:53 AM
I'm going through this right now too. Ever since my procedure last month, my weight has been fluctuating up and down over the same 3 pounds. I can feel that I'm getting stronger and I know I'm smaller but it still sucks not seeing the scale move. I think the steady loss I had for the first two months really spoiled me.

I agree with Mozzy though. Graphing helps keep things in perspective. When I set out to lose weight, I knew that I would probably lose quickly at first but that it would slow down. I set my overall goal to be a loss of 1 pound/week and graphed that goal line (light purple) along with my actual weight (dark purple). Even with the fluctuation at the end, I'm still more than 10 pounds lower than my goal line.

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a516/immaculatepb/e82e2432-7ca5-4691-975e-3c0ac938d40e_zps5a9e7af3.jpg

lunarsongbird
04-07-2013, 11:09 AM
Oooh- Immaculate- What are you using to chart? I like it!

gwenaa
04-07-2013, 11:26 AM
i'm the same, even though my clothes are fitting differently i am obsessed with the scale and that damn number. i will weight myself 3-4 times just to make sure the numbers right and i'll move it to different parts of my bathroom to see if it changes. i'm slowly trying to stop it :(

IanG
04-07-2013, 11:41 AM
Well I sometimes use another scale (my travel scale) to double check. Now that is a problem.

elvislover324
04-07-2013, 11:49 AM
I weight myself every morning just for the fun (?!) of it, but I don't record or count the weight. It makes me batty but I can't help myself.

I chart too using the same app as Mozzy (thanks again Mozzy!) and I love seeing the number going down, down, down, even though lately it takes forever.

Here is my sample pic from last week if it helps you.

lunarsongbird
04-07-2013, 12:23 PM
Ooooh...what app is that?

elvislover324
04-07-2013, 12:37 PM
http://www.bustan.net/monitoryourweight/

Search for monitor your weight on your phone.

I entered every single week's weight with the corresponding date so I could get my graph accurate. It was a pain in the neck but totally worth it!!

Alyssa Autopsy
04-07-2013, 12:45 PM
i could weigh myself 10 times a day, i'm so attached to the number, but that's not a good habit. i weigh myself daily (when i wake up in the morning, first thing i do is pee and weigh myself) and i record it. it's annoying to see myself go from 181.8 to 182.8 overnight, but i know that it's just a normal fluctuation so that keeps me with my diet, knowing that i didn't really gain anything weightwise and it's JUST a fluctuation. it's actually quite interesting to watch the fluctuations, i think i may try one of those graphs.

IanG
04-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Installing.

charliee
04-07-2013, 01:03 PM
I use a similar app called Weight Diary. Graphing really helps. My line looks much like Immaculate's lot's of ups and downs, but the overall graph line is trending down so I'm trying to stay positive.

It's hard to dissociate ourselves from the number on the scale, but maybe as we get closer to our goals and can see and feel how far we've come it will get better.

IanG
04-07-2013, 01:15 PM
The monitor your weight app is so darn cool! I love it. Thanks for the tip Elvis!

lunarsongbird
04-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Nice app. Graphing does really help. I guess this has been my weight loss pattern for awhile and I just didn't notice! I think everyone could benefit from graphing!

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag6/lunarsongbird/908858_10100200992381750_1988379798_n_zps91541439. jpg

SarahFairhope
04-07-2013, 04:35 PM
Very cool graphs!!

flashfacts
04-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Wow, thanks for bringing up weight tracker apps. I downloaded one called Libra and it gives graphs, which is awesome, and also estimates your average calorie deficit over different periods of time!

But yeah, I sometimes struggle with paying too much attention to the scale. I'm averaging a pound a week over a month now, which is great, but it tends to come off in big wooshs. Losing several pounds over two to three days is exciting, but losing nothing for over two weeks solid is frustrating and demoralizing. :(

elvislover324
04-07-2013, 05:02 PM
The monitor your weight app is so darn cool! I love it. Thanks for the tip Elvis!

YW!!! I love it too!

Angihas2
04-07-2013, 05:39 PM
I use Libra too, for just this reason. Thanks stars I check measurements. Trust me Lunar, the # on the scale isn't written on your forehead in flashing neon. Nobody but you knows that daily number, but you and they see the loss of 30 lbs, you can wear smaller clothing. That's a tangible thing. Everything else is always in flux.

rodeogirl
04-07-2013, 05:59 PM
My chart has lots of peaks and valleys - it's a far cry from a steady slope.

JustB1027
04-07-2013, 10:53 PM
I am installing this app right now! I am also addicted to the scale. I try to keep that number from affecting my mood but I do not always succeed!

immaculate
04-12-2013, 05:18 AM
Oooh- Immaculate- What are you using to chart? I like it!

Sorry for the late reply. This is a spreadsheet I made to track on my computer. Like other people in this thread, I also use Monitor Your Weight to track on my phone. In the past, I've also used Fridge Graph (http://fridgegraph.com/) to track online. I actually like Fridge Graph a lot because you can add comments to the different days to help you notice any patterns. For example, if you had too much sodium one day and that caused your weight to jump up, you can note that on your graph.

EvieBaby
04-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Dear Lunarsongbird :) (Love your moniker! :))

Re: My consultant says that as I continue to lose body fat- it will release more and more estrogen and I can expect some funkiness on the scale.

That is super interesting to me . . . Can you provide more details? (If not, that's fine. There's this marvelous new invention called the Interweb, lol. I'll look it up.)

I've just joined the board and the daily way in thread for April, but was directed over here because I'm worried about the effects weighing in daily might have on my head. Could be good, because it will keep my motivation there fresh in my head--could be bad for all the reasons you expressed. Over time numbers on the scale do reflect actual weight change, but daily ups/downs are tricky--can be so many other things.

I decided that I'll try it for April. May 1, I'll evaluate how I'm feeling (inspired and motivated, or discouraged and crazy, lol) and either keep daily weigh-ins or move to weekly ones. And if I have to, I will get rid of my scale--move it to my stepmom's or something so I can only weigh once a week if I decide that's what I need.

Congrats on your amazing achievement so far. It's so motivating and encouraging to read about all the success and work-paying-off that people here are experiencing. :)

I hope you make your peace with the scale--and that I do, too, lol.

LockItUp
04-22-2013, 01:27 PM
I'll set a scene for you.

Wake up, still dark out. Stumble to bathroom. Use toilet. Get undressed. Turn on light.

Me: Hey scale, good morning [attempting sweet talk]
Scale: [silent]
Me: [slowly, ever-so-slowly step on scale, holding breath, sucking in]
Scale: ###.#
Me: YOU DIRTY @*&^*&^&*. I CANNOT STAND YOU! YOU ARE A LIAR!!!!
Me: I told HIM, hrmph!!!

Stomp off to other bathroom where other scale is located (analog/needle scale). Ensure needle is at exactly 0. Press foot on, take off, make sure goes back to zero, repeat several times. Ok, ready.

Me: Hi scale, no, no, you aren't my 2nd choice! You're my favorite actually.
Scale2: [cold silence]
Me: [slooooooooowly step on]
Scale2: [needle swishes up]
Me: HOW DARE YOU!!!!! YOU TWO ARE CONSPIRING AGAINST ME!!! I'M THROWING YOU BOTH OUT!!!!!!
Scale2: [silent]
Me: See you tomorrow.

IanG
04-22-2013, 01:57 PM
:lol: Stephanie.

But what about the loss days?

On those, I get a little more romantic with ol' digie scaley!:love:

lunarsongbird
04-22-2013, 02:54 PM
Yes, yes! Please show us the scene on good days too!

I'm so boring now.

Me: [slowly step on scale]
Me: Eh.

ubergirl
04-22-2013, 03:36 PM
I'm TERRIBLE with the scale!! But when I weigh daily I keep on track. Not stepping on it is a big part of my denial.

I always weigh first thing, stark naked, and when I'm feeling particularly neurotic, I take off my bracelet and earrings.

Just gave away the second scale two weeks ago (they were exactly 1.6 lbs apart)
I almost always know when I'm going to see a loss or gain.

It's a sickness, but it's worse sickness when I don't step on the scale-- that's when I'm really not doing well.

EvieBaby
04-23-2013, 11:48 AM
ROTFL--thanks, Stephanie. I needed that! :) I think it's a very good thing I don't have two scales. :) Do you sing love songs to your scale when you're down?

ChickieBoom
04-23-2013, 11:54 AM
When I'm sticking to plan, I don't need to weigh myself more than once a week because I KNOW that I'm doing the right thing and I believe the scale will reflect that.

When I start getting off plan, I weigh myself more frequently and if the numbers start going up, I get back on plan.

I should just probably stay on plan but sometimes life gets in the way.

Part of the problem is that when I was bigger, I stayed in the house all the time and I could weigh and measure all of my food and make sure that I was sticking to plan. Now that I'm smaller, I go out all the time and it makes staying organized a lot more difficult. I need to get my priorities together.

mygirlvj
04-23-2013, 03:25 PM
:) Downloaded this app at lunchtime. Tonight I will put all my history in. Can't wait.

LockItUp
04-23-2013, 05:30 PM
:lol: Stephanie.

But what about the loss days?

On those, I get a little more romantic with ol' digie scaley!:love:

Yes, yes! Please show us the scene on good days too!

I'm so boring now.

Me: [slowly step on scale]
Me: Eh.

ROTFL--thanks, Stephanie. I needed that! :) I think it's a very good thing I don't have two scales. :) Do you sing love songs to your scale when you're down?

Alright, I'm back and ready to give you a play by play of a loss day. Here we go.

The scene brings us to a familiar place:

Wake up, still dark out. Stumble to bathroom. Use toilet. Get undressed. Turn on light.

Me: Hey scale, good morning [attempting sweet talk]
Me: [slowly, ever-so-slowly step on scale, holding breath, sucking in]
Me: [gasp] Hmmm, must be a fluke. [step off scale, step back on, step off scale, step back on, step off scale, step back on]
Scale: [showing same number over and over and over]
Me: Can that be right!? [pick up scale, set back down, go grab 25 pound kettlebell, step on scale, step off scale]
Scale: [showing same number plus 25 pounds]
Me: [doing math in head] ###.# minus 25 [can't do it, get out phone with calculator] hmmm same number [set down kettlebell, change scale setting to kilograms, step on]
Scale: [same number but in kilograms]
Me: [do more math on calculator, ###.# divided by 2.2] hmmm same number, better try Stone [pick up scale, switch setting to Stones, step on scale]
Scale: [same number but in Stones]
Me: [get out calculator again] WEIRD!!!!!!!!! [switch back to pounds, step on one last time]
Scale: [same number in pounds again]

Scamper off to other bathroom where other scale is located (analog/needle scale). Ensure needle is at exactly 0. Press foot on, take off, make sure goes back to zero, repeat several times. Ok, ready.

Scale2: [same number]
Me: YAY I LOST .2!!!! Better go record it on myfitnesspal, 3FC, my app, and text my friend.

My mornings are exhausting!

IanG
04-23-2013, 06:35 PM
Me: [gasp] Hmmm, must be a fluke. [step off scale, step back on, step off scale, step back on, step off scale, step back on]
Scale: [showing same number over and over and over]
Me: Can that be right!? [pick up scale, set back down, go grab 25 pound kettlebell, step on scale, step off scale]

:rofl:

lunarsongbird
04-23-2013, 07:08 PM
Scale2: [same number]
Me: YAY I LOST .2!!!! Better go record it on myfitnesspal, 3FC, my app, and text my friend.

My mornings are exhausting!

Hahaha!!:val1:

elvislover324
04-23-2013, 07:57 PM
LMAO Stephanie!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl: