Old 04-06-2013, 12:07 AM   #1  

Default Decided to change up my breakfast

So i'm not officially doing "low carb" but i do know that i do much better on lower carbs than how i used to eat when i was 100 lbs heavier (which was loaded with carbs, sugar, fat)

What i usually eat for breakfast is:

a breakfast sandwich consisting of
2 toasted slices Sarah Lee 45 calorie bread= 90 cals, 18 g C
1 slice turkey bacon= roughly 35 cals, 0 C
1/4 cup melted cheddar cheese= roughly 110 cals, 0 C
egg beaters around 1/3 cup scrambled= roughly 40, 0 C
at least 2 Tablespoons or so Raspberry jam= 100 cals and it says 13 C per serving which is ONE Tablespoon so do i multiply that? (duh, i'm fuzzy brained right now)

So i'm switching it up to

ALL of the same except instead of making a sandwich i'm dropping the bread and jam and keeping the turkey bacon, cheddar cheese and instead of the bread and jam i'm scrambling in spinach leaves and some sliced fresh mushrooms and maybe a bit of salsa or diced tomatoes, which i'm sure will dramatically drop the carbs and calories.. what say you all low carbers??
3fcuser291505109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #2  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I think it sounds very tasty! I make an "egg casserole" every week for my breakfasts. Mushrooms, onions, sausage or ham, spinach, and eggs and cheese, baked together in a square pan then cut into eight triangles. Nice protein and fat and veggies; keeps me going until lunch.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #3  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Sounds pretty tasty to me (considering I only drink a protein shake)! Do you count calories? How many is it? (EDIT: OK, I just realized you listed all of the calories. But its too early in the morning for me to do addition

Also, since you are at goal, it is worth mentioning that meal is part of your maintenance plan, and not part of a weight loss regimen, right? Or was this also part of your weight loss plan too?

I'm looking forward to eating breakfasts like this someday soon.

Last edited by joefla70; 04-06-2013 at 09:35 AM.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

Your regular breakfast has a little under 500 calories, but over 40 g of carbs. Your modifications will definitely lower your carb content but will also lower your calorie content. Actually, you could stick with the sandwich approach and just cut out the jam which is high carb (yes, you have to double it to have 2 TBL if 1 TBL is a serving); i.e., high sugar. But the spinach and other veggies sounds very heathy. Maybe keep one slice of the bread as toast with some heart healthy spread.

Yum -- you've made me hungry!
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefla70 View Post
Sounds pretty tasty to me (considering I only drink a protein shake)! Do you count calories? How many is it? (EDIT: OK, I just realized you listed all of the calories. But its too early in the morning for me to do addition

Also, since you are at goal, it is worth mentioning that meal is part of your maintenance plan, and not part of a weight loss regimen, right? Or was this also part of your weight loss plan too?

I'm looking forward to eating breakfasts like this someday soon.
Hi Joe,

it is actually both part of my weight loss and maintenance. i'm looking for something to exchange out probably 2-3 x a week at least because fridays are my cheat days and i eat A LOT of calories, i'm talking at least 4,000 and i don't know how i still managed to lose doing that but i did (although slowly) and now that i'm at goal i want to stay that way so i usually go a little lower calorie the day after and the day before or something like that!

Plus i thought the lower carb issue would help also as i slam my body with carbs on friday. i actually think it helped with *MY* weight loss efforts doing things that way.

Anyway, the jam part is what makes that sandwich soooo delicious. Maybe i'll try to get a sugar free jam or something that is lower carb/calories and~~those on maintenance are usually still always trying to find something healthier and to swap out higher calorie items
Old 04-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
I think it sounds very tasty! I make an "egg casserole" every week for my breakfasts. Mushrooms, onions, sausage or ham, spinach, and eggs and cheese, baked together in a square pan then cut into eight triangles. Nice protein and fat and veggies; keeps me going until lunch.
synger, this is a great idea! So simple, so rational, so adaptable...I love all these ingredients especially eggs for breakfast. I'm usually rushing out the door so eggs aren't an option, but making this ahead for the week now makes it an option. Oh, why didn't I think of this myself (slaps palm to forehead )
curvynotlumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #7  

Okay i found a SF Jam that has muuuuuuch lower calories and less than half the carbs

So maybe i can exchange that for what i normally use now and i'm still going to use the healthier exchange that i mentioned 2 or 3 x a week. But if y'all like sweet and salty you really should try the egg/turkey bacon/cheese and jam sandwich The lowest cal bread i could find was the Sara Lee 45 calorie, idk about carbs though!

http://www.smuckers.com/products/Pro...18&flavorId=98
Old 04-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez View Post
The sugarfree/no sugar added jams are good. Although, I'm fairly sure the 100 calories and 26 carbs for 2T of the jelly you were using isn't right.

ETA: Re: bread, when I'm eating it I really enjoy the Healthy Life breads and buns. A couple of the breads are 35 and 40 calories per slice, and about 5 net carbs per. And the hot dog and hamburger buns are 80 calories and 15 net carbs. They are sometimes hard to find. I usually can only find them at Kroger (Ralph's, etc.)
Yep, it's Walls berry farm jam and 1 T is 60 cals, 14 g carbs and i usually use about 2 T i think, so using the sugar free jam if i like it, will be a great alternative

Sometimes i change up my bread from Sara Lee to probably the much more healthy Dave's bread which is 60 cals a slice,well the carb count is 12 http://www.daveskillerbread.com/kill...ain-light.html i'll look into Healthy Life
Old 04-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #9  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by curvynotlumpy View Post
synger, this is a great idea! So simple, so rational, so adaptable...I love all these ingredients especially eggs for breakfast. I'm usually rushing out the door so eggs aren't an option, but making this ahead for the week now makes it an option. Oh, why didn't I think of this myself (slaps palm to forehead )
Glad to help! I'm the same way in the morning... my time is taken up with feeding the cats and getting my pre-made lunch together (heating the Thermos, reheating the soup, putting the cold pack on the salad, etc.). So cooking the egg casserole ahead of time is a great time-saver. And I can mix it up and change it from week to week so I don't get bored with it.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote