Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/215/160

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Default Bicycle??

Hi!! I have been losing weight for the last 8 weeks and I keep hearing the same thing over and over again...exercise will help tremendously. I truly hate running, I hate going to the gym. I think a lot of it has to do with the embarrassment of being overweight and trying to do it, but I'm also just couch potato too. Well today I realized I really enjoyed riding a bike as a child/teenager, so why not try that again now. So my question to everyone is, have you had any success with it? Is it worth going out and spending a couple hundred dollars on a brand new bike?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!
gracie1887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:57 AM   #2  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

My view of exercise and weight loss is two fold:

1. Without exercise, weight loss is not sustainable. At your weight, regular moderate exercise is far more important to your health than losing 20lbs.
2. Don't link exercise and weight loss. Exercise is separate from diet. Exercise is about fitness and that's a goal in and of itself.

...that being said...for me exercise accelerates my weight loss tremendously. But be aware that by adding exercise your weight loss will seem more chaotic if you weigh daily. You will have some days that you seem to gain. You will have some plateau weeks. But your body will be changing and losing inches and it does work!!!

Only you can know if it's worth it to buy a bike. Cycling is great exercise. It's not something I particularly enjoy, but that's completely irrelevant. If you think you're going to love it, then do it. The money you spend on a bike is a great investment. It doesn't cost more than a 5-6 big evenings out and you'll have it for much longer.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #3  
Makin' it happen

S/C/G: 296/198/150

Height: 5'4

I bought a bike, and I love it! I just ordered one of the cheaper ones ($119) from Walmart that had good reviews, and it's been great. I don't feel comfortable going to a gym, and I like that if nothing else I can ride the bike around in the yard where no one can see me.
onagain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:27 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Exercise has a million benefits - of course its worth it!

That said, you don't need to go and spend hundreds of dollars. You could look for a used bike just to be sure you like it.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #5  

I'm 57 and I bought a bike less than a year ago. I went to Target and got a one speed cruiser with a foot brake for 99 dollars. I figured if I was riding for the exercise I didn't need all those gears that make it easier to ride fast. I don't trust my balance so I got a girl's model.

I love riding the bike. I pedal around the neighborhood for up to an hour at a time. I even ride to work (a mile and a half) sometimes.

It's not my only exercise because I started jogging at the same time. Since running every day is not a good idea I try to ride on the days I don't run.

I can tell you that it took a while before I began to really like running, but it contributed to my weight loss because I would plan to run in the evening, and that meant I knew I could not eat the junk food snacks that tempt me in the afternoon because if I did, my stomach would get upset when I ran. So it helped my to NOT eat the junk food.

Once you start exercising it is true that you should measure your progress to good health in more ways than just your weight. Muscle weighs more than fat and you will be adding muscle while losing fat. Use a measuring tape or a pair of pants to notice how your body is changing instead of just looking at your weight.

I agree that you don't need to spend a lot on a bike to exercise, and maybe you can find a really good buy at a yard sale or an estate sale. I'm glad I got my bike and I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do.
Tabbycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #6  

This is my new bike, I'm so excited!! How cute is this?! I even bought coordinating clothes so I'd match. My husband just shakes his head...

http://www.target.com/p/schwinn-wome...i_detailbutton

I didn't really buy my bike as a mode of exercise, I wanted a cruiser style so I could casually ride down the beach and make it from point A to point B without feeling like I would die.

I assume I will see some exercise benefits even if it's minimal. This purchase was more for the improvement to my quality of life. Out riding and enjoying the scenery!

I say go for it!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 185/183/145

Height: 5'7"

I love biking! I'm not a runner, so biking helps get me exercising outside and having fun. It helped me stabilize my core and really helped shape my butt and thighs. Good cardio too, obviously.

I did the same thing others have mentioned - 100$ bike from Walmart. Not too pricey, and it does the job. I took me a week or so to get used to the seat, but if you're really uncomfortable, I would buy a more cushioned gel seat when you get your bike (they're around 25$). Just to be safe - buy a helmet too!
coffeeshopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #8  

Thanks everyone!! I am going to go tomorrow and pick out a bike. I think I would be fine with a cheaper bike and I'd rather do it now that the weather is starting to get nice out! Thanks again!!
Old 04-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 230/200/170

Height: 182 cm

I personally enjoy riding my bike as well. It gives me a different sense of freedom and happiness. I don't know but it's being active while you enjoy doing it. That's a good start for you since you don't like exercising that much, although running really helps a lot especially if you want to lose weight. But riding a bike can be a kick start for you to be motivated since you enjoy doing it.

My bike is not that expensive, I just find a good and durable bike that I know will work for me. So in my experience, spending a few bucks to in exchange for a good bike is definitely worth it. It helps in strengthening the lower part of my body, aside from that it really helps a lot in my stamina specifically if the terrain is a bit difficult then you will really sweat a lot which is a good thing to level up your body metabolism and in burning those calories. Good luck
snigel42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

I just tried out my husband's bike the other day and loved it.We have two mountain bikes in the garage,but they aren't as nice (or easy) to ride,and they need work...so I may sell them for dirt cheap (someone could do something with them right?) and get one similar to my husbands.We have a bike trail nearby and I'd love to ride around once the weather warms enough.
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 205/175/105

Height: 5 foot 1 inch

i like biking because it is easier on my joints than running and walking (i have fallen arches). ever since it got so nice out i've been doing a mile a day, but today was GORGEOUS so i did 3 miles! it was funny, my boyfriend later rode 4 miles because he didn't want me to have done more than him xD of course he goes to the gym too and i don't, but honestly if an out-of-shape girl can go 3 miles, he (mr works out two hours a day every day and is always loading up on creatine and protein powder and eating healthy 24/7) can obviously do at least 4 :P
Alyssa Autopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #12  

Well I have not even gone and looked at bikes yet. I think I keep delaying it (I've been talking about it for a week now) because I would need to buy a bunch more stuff than just a bike and I don't know if I want to make that kind of commitment. This is the kind of thing I do all the time and it frustrates me in the end. Ughhhh