Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #1  
MaryGee

Question QSYMIA - Anyone Taking This?

Hi - my daughter works in a doctor's office and just told me about Qsymia - she wants me to ask my doctor about it.

Does anyone here take it? If so, could you share your experience....

Thanks
Old 04-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by forreal View Post
Hi - my daughter works in a doctor's office and just told me about Qsymia - she wants me to ask my doctor about it.

Does anyone here take it? If so, could you share your experience....

Thanks
I had to google this, as I'd never heard of it.

http://www.qsymia.com

One thing that really stood out on the website was the statement "the exact way in which Qsymia works is not known"

Things that make you go "hummmm...."
Old 04-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #3  
I hate gravity

OK. Qsymia is a new weight loss drug, made out of 2 drugs that are not new at all. It is composed of Phentermine - a mild amphetamine appetite suppressant, and Topiramate which has been used for migraines but has some appetite suppressant effects also.
I tried it. Qsymia you can only get by mail with a Dr's prescription. My Dr. had never heard of it when I asked him if I could give it a try. BTW it is hugely expensive. I asked my Dr. if he would be willing to give me a prescription for the 2 components - Phentermine and Topiramate. In the same strength as Qsymia. And ONLY for seven days. He did.

My review: Didn't do a thing for me. On day 5 I even doubled both pills. Didn't do a thing. I found nothing on the Qsymia website that suggests it takes days and days to become effective. In fact if you read carefully there, you will always notice they say Qsymia "may" lower your appetite. Qsymia "may" help you lose weight. Well, if you word it that way - you could say the same thing about banana peels. Also, look at their studies regarding it's weight loss results. The average weight loss in a year was a whopping 10%, at best, of the participant's body weight. At least for those who found it effective. Big deal. Do the math. Had I read up on their website, I doubt I would have even given this a shot.
So, even had it worked for me, the proven benefit of Qsymia is quite unimpressive. Sorry if I disappoint anyone. But I wanted to share my experience.

Last edited by BigSky; 04-07-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #4  
MaryGee

Thanks for sharing ladies. I asked my doctor about it - he hadn't heard of it, and he went on to say he doesn't believe in diet pills - doesn't believe they're the solution to the problem.

I do have an appointment with a nutritionist on Wednesday, so I'll keep plugging away - hopefully the nutritionist will give me a jump start and get me moving again. I feel like I've stalled and need a kick in the pants.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #5  
Hang In There

Very Interesting. My doctor prescribed it for me and I started taking it on Thursday (today is Sunday) so I've had 4 days. I was all prepared to be nervous, shaky and not able to sleep. Didn't happen. Appetite controlled? Maybe?/maybe not. I was looking on the web to see if anyone anywhere talked about having good results, but so far haven't found any. I will take the whole month's worth, but I'm not sure I will spend another $160.00 if things don't pick up.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #6  
I hate gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ageoldie View Post
Very Interesting. My doctor prescribed it for me and I started taking it on Thursday (today is Sunday) so I've had 4 days. I was all prepared to be nervous, shaky and not able to sleep. Didn't happen. Appetite controlled? Maybe?/maybe not. I was looking on the web to see if anyone anywhere talked about having good results, but so far haven't found any. I will take the whole month's worth, but I'm not sure I will spend another $160.00 if things don't pick up.
So I'm curious. You've been on it for over a week now. What's your verdict? Yay or Nay?
Old 04-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #7  

Ageoldie what dose are you taking?
Old 04-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #8  
I hate gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripletmplus2 View Post
Ageoldie what dose are you taking?
No replies from ageoldie. I guess it didn't work for her either.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #9  
Hang In There

Sorry, I've now been on it for 6 weeks. I've lost 15 pounds. I has kept me from eating as much as normal at mealtimes, but it has not kept me from getting hungry between meals. I debated on whether or not to reorder the second month, but decided to give it the full try. I still do not feel I've had any of the mentioned side effects. I am on the regular dose, I have not gone up to a higher dose. I don't remember what that is. Could I have done the same without taking the pills? Maybe? But it definitely is not the "wonder drug" I was hoping for.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #10  

Default I'm not refilling it again

I've given this a fair chance having taken it since March. While I've lost weight I don't think this drug has had anything to do with it. I'm on the second highest dose. No side effects. No real help with appetite. Plus it's very expensive and hard to refill. I'm counting calories and trying to get more exercise.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #11  

Lightbulb Taking Qsymia

Hello my brother who is 372lbs started taking this just over two weeks ago. He started with 3.75 dosage had the two weeks free. He has lost 15 lbs. I have just started this today 06/15/2013.
I am 318 lbs.
I will keep you posted. We are both watching our Carb intake and trying to keep it 300 grams or under. We are eating high protein with veg.

We have both gone to the doctors and had blood work done. I have nothing wrong, low blood pressure, normal chol, little low on good chol. 101 sugar etc. go figure at my weight.

I will be walking BUT I will be luck to go to end of driveway and back to start.

I will keep you posted.

I used the coupon on the Qsymia site and two weeks free and 30 day 7.5 dose $75.00. I felt it was cheap considering everything I have tried before.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:10 PM   #12  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

There is no magic pill. And anything that contains, Phentermine, is not good, long term for your heart.

The best thing you can do is slow down, be patient, and adopt a more healthy lifestyle food and exercise wise.

Eat healthy most of the time, for loss and maintaining. Exercise for fitness and to feel good, and now and then, have some ice cream or a burger or cake!
Old 06-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #13  

Smile Have lost weight on Qsymia

I have been taking qsymia for a few weeks and have lost about 4 pounds a week. I started at 249 and I am down to 230. I have been doing a 1200-1300 calorie diabetic diet per a dietitian for pre-diabetes, but qsymia makes it doable. I am using My Fitness Pal to keep track of everything I eat and I have not been hungry. I am sooo not happy about the cost, though. I have a terrible sweet/carb tooth and have not had a problem. Once I was able to come of of that it hasn't been a problem. The qsymia gives dark colored sodas a yucky taste which is fine with me - don't need the empty calories anyway. I drink water and sometimes water with mio. The first $75 wasn't so bad, but I am dragging my feet refilling.

Yes, there is phentermine, but a very, very small amount. There are side effects to every medication you take. Look at the pamphlet you receive for any given prescription you get from a pharmacy. For me, the benefits outweigh the risks of being morbidly obese for the rest of my life. I have tried them all - weight watchers, shots, low calorie, gym, you name it. This one is FDA approved.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:09 PM   #14  
Hang In There

Okay, I gave it a fair shot. I was on it for 3 months. Yes I lost weight, but only 13 pounds in three months. I do not think the drug played a big part in it. After discussing it again with my doctor at my 3 month checkup, I decided to quit the pills and try this three months on my own. The pills were too expensive to not be able to see a real difference.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #15  
just on a journey!

S/C/G: 199/199/160

Height: 5'4

Yes! But Qsymia is not something I can afford but my doctor agreed I could try Topiramate and Phentermine instead. I have been on these meds for exactly 7 days today and I have lost 7.6 pounds as of this morning. :] I have noticed some side effects like tingling hands and sometimes feet, now less and less I get the mental foginess, mild dry mouth and mild insomnia. I have also noticed anything carbonated tastes flat and anything over sugary or sweet tastes just straight up nasty. I just don't think about food 24/7 or crave anything anymore. I could care less about those doughnuts a co-worker brought in, that ice cream in the freezer and those seconds at dinner time. For me, personally, I think it is wonderful. I can handle the side effects as I find them fairly mild, and I can handle it. So in my life, TOTALLY WORTH IT :] You just gotta weigh the risks and such and work with a doctor! I worked very closely with mine on this, and we did blood tests and things before he even considered me a candidate to try these meds.
Closed Thread