General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 153.6/151.2/120

Height: 5'5

Default How do you control your sugar cravings? Self-proclaimed sugar addict needs to know!

I am a sugar addict. I mean, when you hear about people eating icing or cheesecake for breakfast... I could easily do it, if I was guaranteed to stay small! However, I've decided I need to lose the weight I've gained from being so freakin' inactive over the past year... I did pretty well today until I couldn't help myself from having a cupcake that was left over from my daughter's birthday. LUCKILY, I am still under my calorie limit for today, netted with my exercise... and man, did that cupcake taste good.. but I don't want my sugar cravings to control my diet so I need to figure out some low calorie sweets that can help keep them in check!

How do you guys do it?

I'm thinking maybe low calorie lollipops and/or hard candies? I'm not sure yet but it seems like a good, low calorie sweet fix.
ashleyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW:325/CW:290/GW:179

Height: '5"11

Frozen grapes are super sweet and healthy too!
MegaMegan2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Abstain abstain abstain.

Sugar cravings are not a character flaw. It does not indicate a lack of motivation. Since the beginning of time we are biologically engineered to crave sweet things. But until a century ago nature made it extremely difficult to have sugar, think about how difficult it is to extract sugar from sugar cane. Think of the dangers of getting honey. Even fruit is only available at certain times of the year. But in our messed up modern world we can eat sugar even in foods that you wouldn't think need sugar! Look no further than your ketchup bottle, box of cereal, even your sliced bread has high fructose corn syrup in it. Face it, we are all force-fed sugar, and have all become addicts.

An addiction to sugar is much like an addiction to alcohol... which is sugar by the way lol. You have to treat it like an addiction and abstain. The longer you abstain the easier it gets to resist.

Also, check out this wonderful series of videos about the effects of sugar on our society. It will give you the motivation to banish sugar from your diet pronto. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0zD1...F782316B425249
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #4  
Rachel

S/C/G: 295ish/278.4/145

Height: 5'5"

Oh, yay, a sugar addict thread! Just what I need! Warning: I'm about to rant. It could take a while.

I've been a sugar addict my entire life. Seriously, when I was a kid, I was put on a low sugar diet by my dr & I dropped weight like crazy. Not that it stuck. Even as an adult, when I was told I was insulin resistant, I still couldn't leave the sugar alone. I'm addicted to it, & I eat it compulsively.

For the last couple months or so, I've been eating clean. For me that has especially involved no white sugar or high fructose corn syrup. And not too long after I decided sugar wasn't worth eating because of what it has done to my body & mind all these years, I didn't want it anymore. I quit craving it. I didn't have the desire to guzzle Coke, or wolf down cookies or brownies. I was dropping weight like crazy, and I felt great!

Then, last week, someone in my house who shall remain nameless (let's just say she gave birth to me) has been leaving Easter candy out in candy dishes for me to have to look at every day. If it's not around, I hardly even think about it. But when I see candy, especially Reese's, I HAVE to eat it. I can't stop myself. So the last two weeks have been all about my trying & failing to resist sugar. My weight loss has stalled, I'm moody, and I hate what a failure I am.

It's a new day though, a new opportunity to be disciplined & strong. I can do this. I can abstain.
Keep Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #5  
Rachel

S/C/G: 295ish/278.4/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMegan2012 View Post
Frozen grapes are super sweet and healthy too!
Yes! So tasty
Keep Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post

An addiction to sugar is much like an addiction to alcohol... which is sugar by the way lol. You have to treat it like an addiction and abstain. The longer you abstain the easier it gets to resist.
My oldest brother is a recovering alcoholic (sober 20+ years) He basically substituted sweets when he stopped drinking, not an uncommon occurrence. He could eat amazing amounts of candy, ice cream, etc.

He has recently lost about 35 lbs at QWLC. I know he has really changed his eating habits. He's off the diet soda and he says that has helped him tremendously. I hope he is able to sustain his weight loss, as he is in his late 60's and our entire family is predisposed to heart disease.

I love frozen grapes too! My daughter also said frozen blueberries are delicious as well. I haven't tried that yet but I'm going to very soon. Fortunately I don't have a major sweet tooth, but I still love something sweet now and then.

Last edited by SouthernMaven; 04-05-2013 at 10:31 AM.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #7  
A determined quirky chick

S/C/G: 265/227/160

Height: 5'8"

Yeah, this is a tough one. I am a chocolate addict, and semi sugar addict. There have been times in my life where my chronic depression was at it's worst and I'd lose my appetite, and nothing would sound good but sugar. So back then I might eat a snickers and a couple yogurts a day, and that was it. Which I don't recommend; it's very unhealthy. Dieting is hard when you don't have a lot that sounds good, and the one thing that you do crave, it just isn't realistic.

I have been back dieting about 2 months now, and I have gotten a couple of new tricks up my sleeve. These aren't as good, but they are what I've found so far . . . Chobani raspberry and dark chocolate chip Greek yogurt (it's not bitter like you'd think - and only 100 calories) and multigrain cherrios with sliced ripe bananas; the cherrios are lightly sweetened and one cup is 110 calories, 1/2 cup of %1 milk added makes it 150 calories, then one ripe banana is 100 calories. Don't use the bananas that have green - it needs to be pure yellow and can have tiny black specks (but not the majorly black ones). Those ripe ones turn very sweet, which is why they make good bananas for breads, and cereal as they naturally sweeten. These are two of my recent go-to-foods if I feel like I'm going to be bad lol

Last edited by Quirky Chick; 04-05-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Quirky Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyford View Post
I am a sugar addict. I mean, when you hear about people eating icing or cheesecake for breakfast... I could easily do it, if I was guaranteed to stay small!
Are we twins? I could have written this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
Abstain abstain abstain.

Sugar cravings are not a character flaw. It does not indicate a lack of motivation. Since the beginning of time we are biologically engineered to crave sweet things. But until a century ago nature made it extremely difficult to have sugar, think about how difficult it is to extract sugar from sugar cane. Think of the dangers of getting honey. Even fruit is only available at certain times of the year. But in our messed up modern world we can eat sugar even in foods that you wouldn't think need sugar! Look no further than your ketchup bottle, box of cereal, even your sliced bread has high fructose corn syrup in it. Face it, we are all force-fed sugar, and have all become addicts.

Also, check out this wonderful series of videos about the effects of sugar on our society. It will give you the motivation to banish sugar from your diet pronto. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0zD1...F782316B425249
Great post! I completely agree.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:15 AM   #9  
TJM

S/C/G: 12st/10st 7/9st

Height: 5 foot 5

OK, Im going to brace myself for a flaming...but I think its important to actually be truthful. For me? After kicking my SSRIs, which gave me a MAJOR sugar addiction (already had a sweet tooth anyway) the ONLY thing I have found that works for me (both 14 years ago & now) is diet pills. The proper 'Oh My God you cant take those' type. Phenetermine (also called Duromine).

Before anyone starts screaming I will add that I have a very healthy heart, normal blood pressure & would NEVER think of taking them without having a check up. They are also not a long term thing, I did 4 months last time & will probably give them the same amount of time now, because they totally broke my food addictions. I kept that weight off for 10 years. I believe that it is not possible to take them while on SSRIs (couldnt find much online but it was in the product literature). In fact I would not take them if I was taking ANY other medication at all. Proceed with caution, but IF you are healthy, not on meds & mentally in a good place (tho they have not caused me any problems at all with mood as it happens, quite the opposite as Im so pleased to have my eating in hand) then they could work. Take them very early though, because they will seriously bugger up your sleep otherwise.

I did them under medical supervision the first time, & would say thats the best way to do it if you can. But the ones I buy online are actually better quality (not generics).

Other than that giving up diet drinks has got to be your first thing, & then its good old fashioned willpower because the less you eat eventually the fewer cravings you get. Apparently. Never quite managed to get there myself..
TJM is offline   Reply With Quote