General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

Default Target and the Manatee Grey maxi dress

So,I guess if you're plus size and want to buy what is,for the thinner women,a "Dark Heather Grey" colored maxi dress....but when you click on the plus size,the name for the color is changed to "Manatee Grey".

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2013/04...-size-backlash

I've always figured Target didn't care much for the plus sized people...at least by me.The clothing selection is almost non-existant(and shoved in with the maternity) and the styles leave little to be desired.
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #2  
Warrior Princess

They didn't think that one through too well did they? I thought this thread title was a joke at first.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

So did I till I clicked on the link
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #4  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I thought it was a joke too! Wow, that was a very poor choice in name.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8

Thanks for sharing. When I heard the news story my first response was - everyone lightened up, it's just a color - but what I didn't realize was that the color had a different name for non-plus sizes. That is the part that is terrible and offensive.

This makes me sad because as of lately, I get all my new clothes from Target online clearance. They have tons of stuff on clearance, a much bigger selection than the stores, shipping is free, and I just return the things I don't like to the store (and cause its online but easy to return - I overbuy so I'm always guaranteed to like a few things). It's easy peasy and I pay about $7 an item on sale for some cute clothes. This recent news makes me not want to support Target Plus Clothing anymore .....
mandypandy2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #6  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Having kayaked alongside them, I can assure you, manatees are grey. I wouldn't have thought twice about the name. I bought some dark grey hiking pants; their color is shark. It seems that we can't just call colors by their names any more and have to get clever. I believe that this was an honest mistake.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by newleaf123 View Post
Having kayaked alongside them, I can assure you, manatees are grey. I wouldn't have thought twice about the name. I bought some dark grey hiking pants; their color is shark. It seems that we can't just call colors by their names any more and have to get clever. I believe that this was an honest mistake.
How can it be an honest mistake when the exact same dress in the exact same color has a different name for non-plus sizes?

I would have no issue with manatee grey as a name if it was ONLY a plus size dress or ALSO named that in the regular sizes - but to change the name for plus sizes makes it insulting.

Edit: Although I suppose it's not entirely clear that they are the exact same color .... I guess if they are different shades of grey it could be an honest mistake.

Last edited by mandypandy2246; 04-04-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #8  

This article provides an explanation - and it seems reasonable:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3013235.html
Old 04-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #9  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I think they just did this to see if they could get away with it
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #10  

I think someone thought they were being funny and it backfired. I don't love Target's clothes anyways (the statement about the plus size clothes being packed away in the back intermingled with the maternity clothes is true, you can't tell without reading tags what is maternity). This play on the color name is just the icing on the cake for me to not buy clothes there again.

I can't believe how mad I got about something like this! And...it wouldn't have bothered me in the least if it was all sizes of the dress. But the fact that it was only the plus-size enraged me!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 350/296/125

Height: 177cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by newleaf123 View Post
Ever so slightly OT but I would buy anything in "Shark" without a second thought. How cool!

I guess that goes to show the power of naming things like colours! I would buy a shirt in "blue jazz" but just "blue" and I might leave it on the shelf.
Skellig19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 317/292/150

Height: 5'3 ½

I am very big and I am not offended by this at all. Eh.
livelaughlovesunshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #13  
Cindy

S/C/G: 219/see ticker/136

Height: 5'6"

Not a big deal to me. I didn't know manatees were considered large (truthfully I don't really know what they look like). If people were offended by anything, it should have been the name of the dress, the kimono maxi dress? Even so, I think there are much worse things to focus our outrage on these days.
forkeeps is offline   Reply With Quote