Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Best cheese for topping salads?

View Full Version : Best cheese for topping salads?

ReillyJ
04-03-2013, 08:36 PM
Been using grated cheddar cheese and LOOOOVE it but of course would like something lower calorie ounce for ounce. Mozarella's just too mild.

atmos
04-03-2013, 08:53 PM
This doesn't exactly address your request in terms of lowering the calorie count ounce for ounce, but if you're interested in the "a little goes a long way" variety, you could try some of the stronger cheeses like extra sharp cheddar or goat. My go-to is 1/4 cup of crumbled feta for about 80 calories. I find that it gets into just about every bite with the small crumbled bits, with lots of flavor. Rarely is there not a container of crumbled feta in the fridge!

And if you don't mind spending the money, grating from a well-aged wedge of parmesan is heavenly in my opinion.

ReillyJ
04-03-2013, 08:59 PM
This doesn't exactly address your request in terms of lowering the calorie count ounce for ounce, but if you're interested in the "a little goes a long way" variety, you could try some of the stronger cheeses like extra sharp cheddar or goat. My go-to is 1/4 cup of crumbled feta for about 80 calories. I find that it gets into just about every bite with the small crumbled bits, with lots of flavor. Rarely is there not a container of crumbled feta in the fridge!

And if you don't mind spending the money, grating from a well-aged wedge of parmesan is heavenly in my opinion.

*mouth waters!!*

LRH
04-03-2013, 09:16 PM
Reduced fat feta by (I think) Athenos. Couldn't have my salad without it!

IanG
04-03-2013, 09:54 PM
I like a tiny bit of blue. But just a smidgen.

Sum38
04-03-2013, 09:56 PM
I use Bleu cheese. 90 calories for 1/4 cup and loads of taste!

NightowlAnnie
04-03-2013, 11:25 PM

haha..I totally agree :carrot:

Misti in Seattle
04-03-2013, 11:38 PM
A bit of organic feta really adds!

Jez
04-04-2013, 01:32 AM
Hands down, sheep milk feta. 70-80 calories per oz. And amazing. It's crumbly like goat cheese, but with a creamier mouth-feel and less tang/salt.

JenMusic
04-04-2013, 04:19 AM
I eat salad 6/7 days a week, and love them. :) My go to cheeses are the STRONG ones, which have already been mentioned: feta, goat, and blue. Go to the deli section of your supermarket and see what they have there - often you can find a specialty cheese case that has different cheeses from the mass market ones over the dairy aisle.

IanG
04-04-2013, 07:25 AM
I eat salad 6/7 days a week, and love them.

Now that is what I'm talking about peeps! Salads rule!

ReillyJ
04-04-2013, 02:15 PM
Ian!

Any beer flavored cheese toppings? haha!

Yea i eat a HUUUUGE salad 5-6 X a week, it takes awhile to eat it and it satisfies! I usually have 1/2 romaine and 1/2 assorted spring greens in a huge mixing bowl and add 1/2 avocado, grilled chopped seasoned chicken breast, a handful of different veggies, fat free Italian (yes i know, not the best in clean eating but it keeps the cal count waaaay down and i add the fat back in w/the avocado) and i usually add in a small handful of grated cheddar, thus the inquiry on how i can lower the calorie count with a different cheese, looks like Feta or Sheep cheese may be the answer, i'll look into grated parmesan.

Really want to get that 120 cheddar cheese cal count down !

IanG
04-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Ian!

Any beer flavored cheese toppings? haha!

Not that I have found. Sigh. But I keep looking.

I have yet to mix beer with salad. That would be a bit like mixing breakfast with lunch (brunch?). But so far I have kept the two separate.

pixiefalls
04-04-2013, 02:52 PM
I haven't tried feta, but you guys are making me want to! :lol: I do love sharp and extra sharp cheddar... Yum!

Novus
04-04-2013, 08:00 PM
Queso fresco is amazing! Smoked cheeses like swiss, cheddar, and provolone add a lot of flavor even if you don't use a whole lot. And I agree with everyone else about feta.

Terra1984
07-11-2013, 03:06 PM
I use shredded cheddar cheese the most but I like Parm. Cheese too

Psychic
07-11-2013, 08:43 PM
I'm a fan of feta or grated Parmesan myself.