Ideal Protein Diet - Ketosis

View Full Version : Ketosis

mini anna
04-02-2013, 07:52 PM
Hi ipeeps i restarted sunday and would like to know what are some signs of ketosis. I mean i know i can google it but id like to see what each of you felt because im sure as individuals we may react differently. Im just looking for signs and to see if we share similar ones.

Thank you

rubygirl05
04-02-2013, 08:55 PM
I experienced fatigue and a headache, low-energy too.

heritagesoftail
04-02-2013, 09:04 PM
Headache for 2 days , energy was still good. Kinda sick to my stomach . HOWEVER feel GREAT now !

northbaymama
04-02-2013, 09:15 PM
bad breath is another sign. i chew alot of sugar free gum.

DRegan
04-02-2013, 09:59 PM
bad breath is another sign. i chew alot of sugar free gum.

I read somewhere here that there are carbs
in sugarfree gum and to limit it.
Mouth strips and Bianca mouth spray was
recommended.
Thought I'd share cuz I love my gum
And was sad to read this, :(

D

claygirl
04-02-2013, 09:59 PM
I would like to know more answers to this question bc ever since I started the diet 2 months ago I have been very lethargic. Thought maybe it was from consuming only like 800 cals a day. How are u supposed to feel in ketosis?

natsprat4
04-02-2013, 10:11 PM
I've been having Orbit Gum which has 000 everything, or so I'm told by my coach. She sells it in her shop as IP friendly gum.

As far as ketosis goes, you can buy little paper sticks that you urine on and it will tell you whether you are are ketosis, you can buy them at any drug store apparently. Bad breath is a huge one for me and my partner always reminds me lol. After the initial 4 days, I felt I had more energy and no longer had any headaches or sluggish-ness in the afternoons (which i definitely had in the first 4 days)... I could barely carry a conversation lol

getnlean
04-02-2013, 10:48 PM
I would like to know more answers to this question bc ever since I started the diet 2 months ago I have been very lethargic. Thought maybe it was from consuming only like 800 cals a day. How are u supposed to feel in ketosis?

After 7 weeks I often feel lethargic too. Is this normal?

Agalinfl
04-02-2013, 10:55 PM
I was thirsty...

claygirl
04-02-2013, 11:51 PM
The cost of skinny.
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/signs-of-ketosis.html

leannekarella
04-03-2013, 12:04 AM
The cost of skinny.
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/signs-of-ketosis.html

That is an excellent description and explanation.

workingit50
04-03-2013, 12:24 AM
I liked the article. I am not fatigued on this diet, I am more energized.

Also, my pee smells different.

claygirl
04-03-2013, 12:57 AM
I'm not a dr but for myself I am only giving myself another 2 months in ketosis bc I don't like it very much. By then I'm sure I'll have reached my goal. I think it is healthier to have carbs in your diet and that is how one functions best. In the meantime take ur supplements and drink ur water.

JohnP
04-03-2013, 02:03 AM
Not everyone feels the same in ketosis.

Not everyone is going to feel energized on a low carb diet.

The more energized you feel on the IP diet the more you're probably insulin resistant and conversely the more lethargic you feel on the IP diet the more insulin sensitive you are. (Generally speaking)

GetYa1
04-03-2013, 02:38 AM

The more energized you feel on the IP diet the more you're probably insulin resistant and conversely the more lethargic you feel on the IP diet the more insulin sensitive you are. (Generally speaking)

This is good information. My husband and I are both on IP and started the same day. He seems a bit lethargic, but I have a lot of energy.
I had not thought about it being because of how our bodies are reacting differently to ketosis.

Thanks!

sonyainva
04-03-2013, 06:00 AM

Ok John.

Be kind and explain difference between insulin resistance and insulin sensitive

mini anna
04-03-2013, 08:58 AM
has anyone had trouble sleeping at all?
this is my fourth day and i just can't sleep im always restless

will this go away :(

charliebear99
04-03-2013, 09:57 AM

Are you drinking all the water and taking the cal/mag supplements?

mini anna
04-03-2013, 10:39 AM
Are you drinking all the water and taking the cal/mag supplements?

yes im drinking water the supplements i dont take all i forget .. but itake most

getnlean
04-03-2013, 02:13 PM
Ok John.

Be kind and explain difference between insulin resistance and insulin sensitive

Please explain John. I would love to understand shy my friends on this feel better than ever and I feel like sleeping all the time.

SylviesGirl
04-03-2013, 02:24 PM

I had this exact thing. Didn't hardly sleep nights 3 & 4 and not well day 5, but ever since, I have slept wonderfully. Your body is adjusting. It will balance back out, just ride it out the best you can.

JohnP
04-03-2013, 04:22 PM
Please explain John. I would love to understand shy my friends on this feel better than ever and I feel like sleeping all the time.

Alright well the answer is complciated but to make it simple ...

If you're insulin resistant (there are degrees of insulin resistant) you'll likely feel lethargic after a carb heavy meal. As insulin has flooded the body you simply don't have a lot of energy. Also, not directly related to energy levels you'll feel hungry sooner as your blood sugar levels are not as level. (This could cause you to grab another insulin releasing snack and there go the energy levels again.)

Most obese people have some degree of insulin resistance.

If you're not insulin resistant and even somewhat insulin sensative, carbs will make you feel more energized. Unless of course you eat too many which will put anyone in a carb coma.

This is one reason I'm not the biggest fan of how the IP phases work because if someone isn't insulin resistant they should probably not stay on phase 1 for nearly as long as the program dictates. For a non insulin resistant person it would be pretty easy to burn through 150-200 calories of carbs per day simply based on the additional energy they feel through SPA and NEAT (look those terms up) and it would make compliance to the diet much easier. Those carbs should come from fruit in my opinion due to the fiber content.

Ultimately - an individualized plan is what works best but I'm not aware of any commercial diet plan that does an amazing job putting together an individualized approach which is why I tell people dieting that their primary goal should be to figure out how their body works and reacts to different foods/diets/exercise because ultimately there is a way of eating that is easiest for all of us to follow. Be it low carb, intermittent fasting, or whatever.

lisa32989
04-03-2013, 06:56 PM

I had sleep disturbance for 4-6 weeks, then it calmed down

claygirl
04-04-2013, 12:22 AM
I ate an apple today and that made me feel good. (: