Weight Loss Support - Twelve Week Bootcamp Challenge #2

View Full Version : Twelve Week Bootcamp Challenge #2

Amarantha2
05-24-2003, 10:42 AM
YO!!!! YO!!!! YO!!!! CAMPERS, IT IS TIME FOR TPS (TOTALLY POSITIVE SATURDAY)!!!! AS A SPECIAL FUN CHALLENGE, THE BOYS IN THE CAMP ACROSS THE RIVER ARE CHALLENGING THE GIRLS TO A WHOLE DAY OF THINKING ONLY POSITIVE FITNESS AND WEIGHT ISSUE THOUGHTS, BELIEVING THAT IT'S POSITIVELY POSSIBLE TO STAY MORE OR LESS ON PROGRAM DURING THIS HOLIDAY WEEKEND, EXPRESSING ONLY POSITIVE THOUGHTS AND SUPRESSING ALL FEARS THAT THE BAB WILL TAKE OVER BEFORE TUESDAY!!!!

Oh, was I shouting? Sorry! The sign-up sheet is over by the TALL PINE TREE OF POSITIVE FITNESS RESOLUTIONS, which is located (in case you don't know) in the center of camp by the bulletin board. The says she is taking it as a given that everyone is signed up for this, even if they don't report in!

Let's go out there and show those boys across the river what us girls can do! Let's BANISH THE BAB and send some floating across the river to take up residence in the boys' camp!

Ok?

Ok, the says she's assuming that's ok!!!

Woo-hoo, here we go!!!

:twirly: :drill: :twirly: :drill: :twirly: :drill:

Amarantha2
05-24-2003, 07:33 PM
"Will you please post your report on this, the second of the 12-week challenge thread, Amarantha, since you've been so bold as to start it?!" :drill:

"Well, ok, :drill: , don't mind if I do. I'm reporting that I'm not done working but quitting anyhow until Monday as I refuse to work on Sunday anymore. This is relevant to weight loss as I believe that seven-day writing schedule is causing a rise in cortisol in my pathetic aging body and not allowing for a loss of this danged extra :dance: ... so, I'm quitting and have one more of the six BFL meals for the day. Calories are ok, workout was 50 minutes of run/walk on the treadmill at gym ... moderate pace but really felt great!!! Woo-hoo! How's that? :flow1:

"Wonderful, Amarantha! Thanks! Over and out! :drill:

Wildfire
05-25-2003, 08:02 AM
Private Wildfire reporting for duty!

Have been AWOL, but am back in uniform with boots so shiny I can see my reflection in them! I am starting fresh today, and think a re-stating of goals is called for:

Keep calories under 1700 daily
Log food and exercise into FitDay daily
Drink 6-8 glasses of water daily
Take multivitamin and calcium daily
Minimum of 30 minutes exercise daily
Eat more fruits/veggies!

One day at a time, and it will all add up!

Amarantha2
05-25-2003, 01:12 PM
"Amarantha's no longer feelin' DOWN, 'cause she's DOWN a POUN'!!!" Yowza!!! Congratulations to me!!! :bravo:

Thanks for posting, Wildfire!!!

In the spirit of re-evaluation, I realize I am really heading toward a modified Body For Life, although I intend to stay in the magazine contest (you can use any plan you want for that). I need more exercise and more food variety than the original plan calls for. I also need/want to focus a bit more on building up to my dream of running again someday, though I don't intend to give up hardcore (sort of) weight training. So my goal for this week is to stick to plan as modified and make it more my own, post briefly and succinctly here and maybe come up with a weight goal for the Fourth of July. My reward for losing a pound is to buy a food processor. I've drastically improved my eating habits on this plan and feel worlds better, but since I don't like vegetables (to be frank with you ... no, you be Frank, I'll be Fred, sorry, I digress from brevity), I think I could use a processor to make them into sauces or something. It's an idea, anyway! :s:

Today is my free day on the BFL, but on my personal MBFL (Modified BFL, sorry Bill, it doesn't work your way), I'm calling it Sunday Funday and will only have an extra treat or two, but I will count calories and keep it moderate. Eat anything you want days aren't a good idea in this neck o' the Fitness Forest, Kemo Sabe! :nono:

Eydie, if you're lurking, :hb: !!!!!

:drill: :drill: :drill: :drill: :drill:

Bye-bye :dance:! :wave:

Wildfire
05-25-2003, 03:32 PM
*whoooohoooo* Congrats on that pound lost, Amarantha! Here's a banana just for you! :cb:

Did an hour on ye old treadmill this morning, at a moderate walk. My back is cooperating for the most part today. Calcium taken, 4 glasses of water in, working on the rest.

simcoe
05-25-2003, 04:19 PM
Yippee, found the new thread. Congrats to our fearless leader on the pound loss. Now, I will do the happy dance for you:dancer:

Had a so-so weekend. I totally pigged out yesterday and went well over the calorie limit. But today, I am back on target and have gone to the gym, so feeling fine :cool: Am looking forward to another productive week.

no_way_but_up
05-25-2003, 06:36 PM
my 12 week challenge starts tommorrow so i guess i'll be 4 weeks in the hole. Hope you don't mind me jumping in the middle.
I completed 12 weeks on bfl in the past and had great results. but the stresses of everyday life have taken there toll and i'm way off track.
right now, i've been unemployed and need a way to alleviate some of the stresses that unemployment and job hunting are causing. wish me luck.
my goals are:

1. eat 5 or 6 small (low carb) meals-that's my own thing, i feel much fuller on a low carb plan.
2. don't miss those exercise sessions.
3. i'm looking for a 2 lb. loss each week, i can do it!!

so now the goals are set, the plan underway, and it's all in writing there is no backing out now.

sheila
-----------------------------------
starting weight-182lbs.
highest weight-220lbs.
goal weight- 150lbs.

Amarantha2
05-25-2003, 11:17 PM
Welcome, Sheila!!!! You're definitely welcome to jump in wherever you are ... actually we are all just kind of at different places along the journey. You're the second BFLer on the thread (unless someone is keeping it mum). Congratulations on your first success on the plan!!! You are right, there's no backing out and YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Thanks to all for congrats on the :dance: ... for me, that's a real breakthrough. I'm really looking forward to my workout tomorrow (the gym is open). Modified day off went well ... had TWO sugary sport shakes while out shopping because I like them and because I was starving and blood sugar going down ... eating the six meals a day has made me aware that timing is all important in success and I'd gone too long without eating ... bought some high fat ice cream and ate a quarter of a cup and threw the rest away. Then I drank a low carb protein shake that I like ... I'm not a low carber, just watching sugar because it helps and also I like that shake best ... seemed to stop me from going on to binge after the ice cream ... very satisfying. Dinner was a chicken breast water fried with sun dried tomatoes, small serving of mashed potatoes with butter buds, and tomato slice :) Roughly counting, I've had five meals and may skip the sixth ... dunno. Calories good at 1670, could have a protein shake.

To all, mentioned and unmentioned, I believe I heard a news report that the BAB is on the lam in Chicago somewhere!!! They're scared to come hanging round this camp anymore ... bye BAB, don't let the door hit you on the way outta here!!!! :wave:

:drill: :twirly: :drill: :twirly: :drill:

simcoe
05-26-2003, 09:31 AM
You threw out the high fat ice cream???? Now that is someone on a mission!! You go girl.

Amarantha2
05-26-2003, 02:05 PM
You be right, Camper Simcoe, I DO go!!! Woo-hoo! Finished work (nice they give me a half day on a holiday) and am now off to gym!!!!

AND BY THE WAY, WE ALL GO-GO-GO ON THIS THREAD AND WILL REACH OUR DESTINATIONS SOON ... SAID DESTINATIONS BEING FABULOUSLY FIT NEW BODIES AND TRANSFORMED LIVES BY THE AMAZING HEALTH AND SLENDERNESS OF OURSELVES!!! RIGHT? :drill:

No BAB better come in here!!! RIGHT? :drill:

Right! :bravo: :hb: :wave: :balloons:

Terri in MO
05-26-2003, 05:30 PM
Hi gang,

Its been a busy weekend and I've been a bit frustrated. But no whining. I've worked hard physically around the house and yard but haven't done hard exercise. I have walked the dog everynight. I've gotten a bit lax on the food this weekend but I've got the fridge full of healthy veggies and fruits. I'm ready to get refocused. I'm determined to get my bike out this week to ride. I need for DH to take me to the wildlife area to ride. That's my second goal for the week.

Congrats to all those who are losing!! Great job!

RavenToy
05-26-2003, 06:10 PM
Mind if I jump in? I'm on a MBFL too. :) I started it two weeks ago, but I see up there that you mentioned people are in different places along the way. Congrats on the loss Amarantha, and you seem to have gotten jump started! I use the BFL weights approach for now, I've modified the aerobic interval to walk 2 run 1 for 20. My treadmill doesn't allow for all the little incremental adjustments and plus I like my aerobic interval training to be rather mindless. Moving meditation, if you will. I follow the 5-6 meals a day, that's worked sooooo well for me for 4 months now. Though I do not eat completely "clean" according to the BFL bible. I work towards 1500-1700 calories a day, but I'm big into the complex carbs, lots of veggies, fruit, and protein with a fat of around 30%. Sunday is my "free" day, too. Though I find that if I pig out I feel like total poo the next day, so usually I'm pretty much OP on Sundays, too.

My Weekly Goals:

Do not skip my aerobic intervals (which should be cool now that they're modified).
Push the weights.
Drink my water every day.
Eat at LEAST 1500 calories a day (sometimes that's tough for me).

First Goal: Be in the 180s in two weeks.

Amarantha2
05-26-2003, 08:16 PM
Woo-hoo, welcome MBFLer RavenToy. You are indeed most welcome to join in! Your plan is very similar to mine, although I hate fruits and veggies but am working on it!!!

Thanks for the congrats ... it's only a pound to some but to me (who has the metabolism of a sea cow, it's indeed BREAKTHROUGH TIME!!!) I do so agree on the 5-6 meals ... this is key for me and makes an amazing difference. I'm experimenting this week with NOT doing the planning as specified in the journal. It takes too long and confuses me and by the next day I don't want to eat what I wrote down anyway. That's another modification, I guess.

I'm abandoning the roster idea because it's all on the last thread, but we all KNOW who we are, campers!!! :drill: :cp: :bravo:

My report: Did upper body at gym later than usual because I had to get a deadline story done. Was distracted by some irritating people who were talking about how painful weight lifting is. I don't find it painful and told them so and that I loved it and they told me I must not be working hard enough! Sheesh! :strong:

Have had all but one meal ... running an hour early on that but that's cool.

Over and out, brevity thy name is Amarantha!!! Woo-hoo!!! Yowzah!!! I'm gonna GIT FIT AND RUN A MARATHON!!! Wow, I'm good!!! :twirly:

:drill:

simcoe
05-26-2003, 08:41 PM
Welcome Raven to our small but mighty group :D

Terri, sounds like you did okay to me! Since when is lots of work around the house and yard work not exercise? It all counts...I spent 2 hours shopping at the mall on Saturday, and don't think that I did not count it towards my fitness goal:yes: Whipping out that MasterCard every five minutes is mighty tough:lol:

Did that aerobic thing today and stayed on target with other goals. Looking forward to weigh in Tuesday.:cool:

deleted2
05-26-2003, 09:06 PM
Still struggling out of my sugar coma. Birthday cake can be deadly, so today in my effort to bring my body back to balance I'm sure I overate. Tomorrow I have a plan to eat really 'clean' and we're well stocked with the good stuff, so no excuses!

I braved the beast in the basement today! That is, the big monster weight machine that I've had for years and haven't used. Anyway, I don't know exactly what I'm doing, but I did it for 20 minutes!:lol: That, and 3 miles on the treadmill and a 30 min. bellydancing video.

Congrats on losing the pound, Amarantha!:D

Wildfire
05-26-2003, 09:09 PM
Just a quickie....beastly back is not cooperating today.

Raven, welcome! Nice to see you here.

No exercise, thanks to my back. Heading for bed. Otherwise, day done!

A bientot! :wave:

RobinW
05-27-2003, 09:23 AM
Ive been a very bad girl.......not on plan, not eating the right carbs, or calories.

So......Im back at it today.

Amarantha, congratulations on your lb loss!!!

I'll check in at the end of the day

Robin :wave:

simcoe
05-27-2003, 11:07 AM
Weigh in day for me and am happy to report another lb lost with no trail of bread crumbs left to find its way back! :dizzy:

I am trying to mix up my eating plan a bit, cutting back on fruit and other sugary stuff to see if that will work for me also. Anything to stay firmly on track. :cool:

Punkinseed
05-27-2003, 02:50 PM
:drill: The new campsite looks luuuvly! (can you say "luuuvly" in the military??)

Hangin' in there in every way shape and form. Flyin' solo this week (off my Rx) and I'm down 3.5 from last week. So that's what.... 14.5 in 2 weeks????? Holy shmoly!

I must say I feel good - even with all the emotional stuff going on in my life right now (Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer a week ago - I guess I haven't told this thread). I think cleaning up my eating *before* the big news came down really helped. Had I not, I'd probably be freaking out about my health even more...

Amarantha - :cb: on that pound kicked to da' curb!

Welcome to Sheila and Raven! Now drop n' give us twenty!!! :drill: :lol:

Wildfire - Take care of that back!

Eydie - Happy belated and congrats for confronting the monster!

Hi ho, hi ho...
Terri

Amarantha2
05-27-2003, 02:56 PM
Yo!!! Congratulations to Simcoe on another :dance: that has decided to permanently relocate elsewhere!!!! :cp:

Wildfire, sorry the back is not cooperating with thy fitness goals. If I've asked this, I apologize, but have you tried aqua fitness? It sounds like the treadmill doesn't like your back much! Feel better, camper!!! :wave:

Robin, there are no bad girls, only bad BABs!!! They are SO evil, those BABs, they leave the wrong carbs and the extra calories strewn about our paths so we innocently put them in our mouths without noticing sometimes!!! :yikes: Have no fear, we shall not rest until these BABs are all in jail, locked up with the extra :dance: s!!! They can play cards or something and bond with each other and leave us campers alone! :strong:

Let's go out there and win one for the Gipper, campers!!! We shall defeat the forces of :dance: and of BAB this day!!!!

Wooo-hoooo!!!

Oh, my a.m. report is that I ran 50 minutes at a steady pace on treadmill. Not working today, so I created a MBFL meal planner spreadsheet thing that I can just put in mini meals I might want that day and it'll count the calories and I print it out and go.

:drill: :drill: :drill: :drill:

Amarantha2
05-27-2003, 03:01 PM
And greetings to General Punkin, who snuck into roll call when I wasn't looking!!!

Holey schmoley, indeed, General, you've lost another 3.5!!!! WTG!!! :cp:

Ok, NOW I'm jealous! :) I'm gonna kick some real :dance: this week!!!

Woo-hoo!!!

simcoe
05-27-2003, 04:50 PM
Yo, yo, yo....way to go Punkin!!! What are you doin' girl!

RobinW
05-27-2003, 06:01 PM
Way to go Punkin!!!! Great Job!! :bravo:

Wildfire
05-27-2003, 07:45 PM
:cp: :dancer: Whooohoooo Punkin! Way to go!

Amarantha, I did go to the Aquafit class and quite liked it. The problem is that you have to have a membership to attend or buy an Aquafit pass which is $90 for 20 classes. I would go through that pretty quick if I went to three a week like I wanted to. We are focused on paying off some bills and have to send DD to my sister which means airfare, etc....so the timing just isn't right to spend on the classes. Maybe in a few months.

Geez, you don't realize how much you use your back until it stops cooperating!

Terri in MO
05-28-2003, 07:19 AM
Yesterday was an excellent day. Food was well within reason and I did 20 minutes on the spinner and walked the dog for 30. Woohoo! :cool:

Punkin - You'e smokin' girl! Way to go. :bravo: :smoking: Good job too Simcoe! :bravo:

Let's get our butts in gear this week and work hard! :strong:

Punkinseed
05-28-2003, 10:13 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you (taking bows...)

Working on exercise this week. Took a good walk with Mom yesterday evening at a better pace than last time. Tonight, bellydancing is on the menu! :cb:

Prepping for my 5k on Sunday! :cool:

Today - work on drinking ALL my water!!!! :halffull:

:drill: Excellent job loosers! :drill:

Terri

deleted2
05-28-2003, 06:06 PM
I'm happy to say that I did 20 minutes on my weight machine again. I could grow to like it, I think---maybe I should clean up the basement to make it a more pleasant experience.:o Wretched dungeon!!! [3 miles on the treadmill too...]

simcoe
05-28-2003, 08:01 PM
Congrats all around to all who had a positive day, not by just staying on plan, but for feeling good about ourselves!

I had a good day, went over calories by 100 but that was okay, because it was a healthy, homemade blueberry muffin. Did the exercise thing to, so I feel pretty darn good. :)

Just out of curiosity, how many calories does everyone use a day (approx). I usually do 1300 per day, with additional earned by exercise, so I am around 14 to 1500 per day. Is this average? Sometimes I think that I am not eating enough. What do you guys think :?:

RavenToy
05-28-2003, 08:22 PM
oh ... my ... god.

I think the understatement of the year is that I did not stay OP today. But .. I'm going to forgive myself completely, and I actually thought about it for several hours before I did it. I had a big reason to celebrate during this very hard time. The rough part is that my dad is in the hospital and it's very serious, he's in AK and I'm in GA... it will be several days before we even know if he's going to pull through. In the midst of all this uncertainty and fear, I found out that my 14 year old daughter (who was to be leaving to live with her father in august) will NOT be leaving, and it was like part of a very dark cloud that had been hanging over me for months lifted. Now she may still be going up there, but there is a greater likelihood that her father will do his best to move down here, instead. Quite frankly, after the emotional ups and downs, I felt like a little celebration of V staying was in order. Sooooo... subway all around, ICB root beer, and ben & jerry's ice cream. Well, V had raspberry sorbet. I had the Everything but the ... *burp* and of course, a pint IS a single serving.

I think I'm going to explode. I guess that was my free day with a vengeance, wasn't it!! And yaknow, I don't regret one bite. I tell ya, razzzzzberry sorbet with a bite of chocolate ice cream is HEAVENLY! :s:

Ok, aerobic interval tomorrow! *waddle*

Oh, and Simcoe - I started out in the 1200 calorie range which worked great for me till I started doing the heavy lifting. I could do the aerobics and the pilates fine, but working with weights 3-4 times a week depleted my reserves. Then I simply had to up the protein and calories to stop from feeling puny constantly. I aim for 1500 - 1600 a day now, and that seems to be working really well.

RobinW
05-28-2003, 08:23 PM
I made it thru the day!! YAHH!!

Calories and carbs right on, but no exercise today. (too lazy)

Simcoe, depending on the time of the month is what regulates my calorie intake. During and 2-3 weeks after my period, I usually have to force myself to get 1000 calories in me. But, 2 weeks of pms before, I have to watch that I dont go over 1700 calories. I cant seem to get enough to eat during that time. Go figure. I always keep my carbs between 30 and 40. (Im a carb addict)

Hope everyone is doing great

Terri in MO
05-28-2003, 08:35 PM
Wednesday's report!

AM - hand weights, leg and back exercises
PM - 23 hard minutes on the spinner
will walk the dog for 35 at 9 pm

Food - fabulous!

I've decided that this week its time to kick up the intensity. I really cranked up the tension on the spinner (after warm up of course!), did some standing etc. Wowza! Made the heart pump and the sweat to flow. Felt great.

Gotta go, DH has dinner ready!

HOORAH! to all of us!!

brunissen
05-29-2003, 09:44 AM
AWOL for too long - but there isn't really time to spend my days surfing like at my old job (thank heavens!).

Anyway, I did fairly BADLY the past week and a half, but I have managed to snap myself out of the funk I was in and now I'm back and making up for lost time!!!

I decided that trying to stay at 1300 calories meant I wasn't eating enough, so the cravings were bad, and I was weak. So I've bumped myself up to a minumum of 1500 calories/day and a maximum of 1800 calories/day. I'm also back to doing my cardio, and swimming multiple times a week. And I'm seeing success! I've dropped what I had put on in the past 2 weeks plus an extra pound! :cp:

As it stands now, I'm not going to make that *VERY* ambitious goal I had set for myself for this 12 week challenge, but that's okay, I'll take whatever loss I get! :)

AND I've also decided on a reward for myself when I reach 290 - a new tattoo! I've been wanting another one, so I figure this will give me the incentive to lose 15 more pounds. It may be a weird incentive to some, but it works for me! :D

RobinW
05-29-2003, 10:04 AM
Way To Go Brunissen!!! :bravo:

RavenToy
05-29-2003, 11:25 AM
Hey, I think a new tat is GREAT incentive! If I have the money, I may do that myself! What will it be?

Punkinseed
05-29-2003, 12:36 PM
:wave:
:drill: Happy Friday eve!!!! :drill:

Raven, I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. You'll be in my thoughts. Sounds like good news about your daughter!

Brunissen, ok, so whatcha' gonna get???? A tattoo is my "reward" too but I guess I should pick my magic number so I know when I've reached it! I have a (don't laugh) crop circle that I think is just awesome that I might get on my lower back. I had 2 tattoos and had them both removed (bad choices, too young, impulse decision) - this one is going to be much more thought out! So whatcha' gonna get??????

Today - water, water and more water.... I feel puffy. It's been 85 degrees and 30% humidity so I feel dry on the inside and puffy on the outside. I NEED WATER!!!!!!

Patting myself on the back bootcamp style for not loosing it yesterday food-wise. We found out my Mom's original surgeon not only withheld her diagnosis for 3 weeks, but he never told her the severity/degree of aggression. We had to find out from the 2nd opinion Dr. I wanted pizza and M&M's SO BAD! I even had a plan - drop off UPS and mail and head to the store.... I didn't do it! :cb: Yeah me! I told myself that eating the pizza wouldn't change the news and reminded myself that it's all going to be ok - and I'll handle all of this better if I eat well and feel good myself!

HooooRAH! :drill:

Terri

brunissen
05-29-2003, 02:09 PM
WELL, since y'all ask....

I have three celtic knot type tattoos now (and a fourth paisley moon that damn near killed the guy who does my tats :) ), so I'm going to stick with that "theme" but since I don't want yet another knot, I'm going to design some kind of celtic spiral. The spiral is the symbol of either life or eternal life to the Celts. It's going on the inside of my left wrist with the design just barely wrapping around to the front. I don't know how much it's going to hurt, but since I survived getting my foot inked (it's my favorite one!), I figure I can survive any tattoo I can come up with...

Also, for my BIG goal - when I finally reach my magic number of 190 (or 175, whatever I decide then), I'm going to get one on my lower back - a Phoenix rising from the flames. I figure since it's a symbol of rebirth, and since I will have lost possibly 180 pounds, that it is a fitting reward.

I got my first tattoo at 38 after wanting one my entire life but being afraid of the needles! Nobody told me they were like crack, and one would NEVER be enough!

:D

RobinW
05-29-2003, 07:49 PM
Thursdays report

Did great today, water, food and exercise are all right on.

Tried that new bubble tea tonight (took a sip of hubbies) it was WAYYYY too sweet. Cured my curiousity :lol:

Thats it.....have a good one
Robin

Terri in MO
05-30-2003, 07:55 AM
Hello gang!

Reporting in for Thursday.

Food was well within plan. Lots of veggies and no bad stuff - except for Hershey's almond candy bar eaten in stress and hunger at lunchtime but I still stayed within my daily plan.

I had my nails done last night so only time for the 30 minute dog walk plus I had done my morning exercise...so there! :p

Its paying off, my unoffical scale is showing a loss. Now, the challenge will be not to be stupid before WI next Saturday. My goal is to drink lots of water ( I think this is an area that needs improvement), keep cranking the intensity up on exercise and and no :devil: food for the next week. I'll allow myself some indulgence on the weekends go to WW.

Okay, ladies, the weekend is just about upon us and for many, its always a challenge. Let's stick to our plans and burn off some fat. All togeher now..... chant .... burn the fat, burn the fat, burn the fat! HooRAAAH!

Have a great on plan Friday!

no_way_but_up
05-30-2003, 07:56 AM
first of all, it seems i've been missing in action this week. I was hoping to check in more often, but i didn't realize how hectic life is when your unemployed.

amarantha- i wanted to say i totally agreed with you on the weights thing. I totally love doing it. The only time i'm really sore is when i haven't done it in awhile. maybe when they said you weren't lifting enough, it was actually them not lifting often enough. just a thought.

anyways, not doing great on getting the exercise in, although i did so much cleaning yesterday i was ready to drop by 4p.m. but hung in there and got dinner made and kids and hubby fed (i just don't understand why they think i should cook every single night).

todays goals:

1. drink lots of water
2. lift weights
3. take 5 year old for a nice walk (she loves exercising with me, especially tae-bo)

brunissen
05-30-2003, 10:08 AM
Did really well yesterday - worked with my trainer for an hour, stayed within my calorie range, and drank TONS of water.

The effort has paid off - I have FINALLY broken the 50 pound loss mark!! And I'm now only 5 pounds away from being under 300 pounds! All in all, it's been a good week!

Hope all you ladies have good friday's and a wonderful weekend!

simcoe
05-30-2003, 11:29 AM
Way to go on your loss, Brunissen. I know how good it feels to break a plateau! I did not post last night because I was too pooped. I went to aerobics and then had to rush over to my son's baseball game.:faint:

This week I have started going to the gym every morning for an hour so that it is done and out of the way. Actually, now that it has been fit into my schedule, it is just part of the day. Eating is going well, too. Thanks for the input on the calorie counts; I think my biggest problem is not eating enough, mostly of protein, when I work out alot. I am working hard to keep my mix of 30% fat, 30% protein and 40% carbs. I use a program that has me input my food intake and tells me how I am doing in terms of balance. Saves alot of math for me:spin:

Anyway, here's to a good weekend for all.

Punkinseed
05-30-2003, 01:13 PM
Welcome to Friday! Weekend shore leave comin' right up! :drill:

Ok, where is our fearless leader, :drill: Amarantha??

Brunissen, congrats on the milestone! :cb: I also think the phoenix idea is wonderful...

Again today my goal is more water. Yesterday I hit my goal and was in the bathroom what seemed like a 200 times before finally going to bed (then up again at 2am). It must've worked though since the scale shows I'm down a pound from yesterday - unofficial weigh in of course, I'm not officially counting anything until Monday... :crossed:

Happy weekend everyone! :wave:

Terri

simcoe
05-30-2003, 02:04 PM
Punkin, I agree with the water thing. My intake is way up, but the constant trips to the bathroom are a total drag!:rain:

brunissen
05-30-2003, 05:20 PM
I drink at least 160 oz of water a day - I figure that having to use the bathroom gives me a reason to get away from my desk MANY times during the day. What is annoying is having to get up at least one time at night. But, I see a difference in the scale the days I don't drink my 160oz, so I figure it's worth it. (it makes my skin happy too!)

psm

RobinW
05-30-2003, 09:54 PM
Fridays Report

A great day for food and exercise :D Here's to another great day tomorrow!!

RobinW
05-31-2003, 10:14 AM
YAH!! Ive lost 2 of the 6lbs I put on while I was awol!

no_way_but_up
06-01-2003, 08:23 AM
well i'm about to go out for a long walk, it's gonna be a beautiful day. Everyone else is just sleeping it away around here. I did my stomache killers (torso track-i call it stomach killers because it seems easy while i'm doing it but 2 days later, well let's just say the name says it all).

anyways, just checking to see how everyone is doing.

RavenToy
06-01-2003, 08:35 AM
Blah. I'm up a half pound for the week BUT since I took my measurements I've lost inches on my chest, waist, and hips. I pushed the weights pretty hard this week, and I probably will this coming week too. I know that's contributing to the weight gain. Just stay OP and eventually the fat loss will overshadow the muscle gain.

simcoe
06-01-2003, 05:10 PM
Hey Raven, any change is a positive change whether or not it is on the scale.

I had a pretty good weekend...stayed within calorie count but the fat....well let's just say, better luck next time.:D I do not do formal exercise on the weekend, but I did alot of walking around and yard work. Back to the gym on Monday, aerobics, low fat etc., etc.,etc.

Terri in MO
06-02-2003, 08:20 AM
Hi Gang! :wave:

Monday morning reporting in!

Saturday was a lazy day. I drove down to spent it with mom. We messed with the horses some and I had to tour every plant mom has in her yard and garden!! :lol: Evidently, mom needed company!

I know this if off topic but I had a really sad moment on Saturday. While down at mom's, a man came over the ham radio asking for dad's call sign - dad passed away last December - and heard someone else come on the air and say that he had gone "silent key". Its really left a heavy feeling in my heart the last couple of days. So I haven't been very rambunctious.

I did finally get outside and work on digging a small trench for installing landscape tubing (evil stuff :devil: ). Geez, I thought it would be better than building a border with the landscape stones, which I did last year - boy was I wrong!

This week I'm on vacation. I'm hanging out around home because DH is working part of the week and money is scarce. My plan is do some spring cleaning.

My challenge for the week will be to stay on a food plan and remember to do my regular exercise. Maintaining routine is key!

I intend to post a successful report this evening!

brunissen
06-02-2003, 10:09 AM
Well, I guess I did pretty well, although I'm 2.2 pounds higher than Saturday morning.

5/26 Weigh-in: 312.2
6/2 Weigh-in: 306.0

So I'm down 6.2 pounds (of water).

Plan for this week:

Trainer - he's out of town most of the week, so I only get to train with him one day :(
Cardio - Mon,Tue,Wed,Fri,Sat,Sun, 30 min
Swimming - Mon,Tue,Fri,Sat, min 30 min
Eating - 1500-1800 calories/day
Water - 160 oz/day

Here's to a successful week for all of us!

psm :)

Punkinseed
06-02-2003, 12:30 PM
:drill: Hello loosers! :drill:

Me, down .5 or 1.5 depending on if I weigh the day before the 5k, or the day after.... :shrug: I'll take the .5 and expect an awesome week next week!

Terri, that must've been a strange thing to hear someone ask for your Dad like that. I'm sorry for your loss.

Sunday my Mom and I did our 3rd 5k for the Heaven Can Wait foundation to benefit breast cancer. We signed up a week before my Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. A little surreal to now walk this as a member of that sisterhood versus the last 2 years walking it as an "outsider". Everyone was wonderful, supportive, encouraging and welcoming to us. How many calories does crying burn???

This week - water, water, WATER. Brunissen, you've motivated me.

:drill: General Punkin

RobinW
06-03-2003, 10:20 AM
Hey all........I did great all weekend, but had to test the homemade rhubarb pie last night. and you know, you cant have hot pie without icecream :s:

All in all, I think Im doing alright, got 2 of the 6 lbs off that I put on during my binge. So here's to a great week!!

simcoe
06-03-2003, 11:16 AM
Tuesday a.m. weigh in for me and am happy to report a 1lb loss - down to 185 and have hit the 10% weight loss goal since start in January! Yippee!!

I am really enjoying going to the gym every week day now, although it is hard work. I still do the aerobics on Monday and Thursday night, too. Still working on the eating thing. Calories are fine, but it is finding the right balance. Anyway, we continue on.....

Terri, I can totally relate. Even though I lost my dad 6 years ago, every once in a while, something will come up that will be bring his memory in to the fore front again. It is very difficult, but I always think that maybe it is him letting me know that all is okay. Sounds a bit deep, but it helps me get through it. :)

Punkinseed
06-03-2003, 11:30 AM
Water is the wonder "drug"! I'm convinced of it...

Today, more water!

Simcoe - I think it's a sign for sure! Around the 3 year anniversary of my Grandma's passing - enough time had passed so she wasn't a constant thought anymore, you know? I started to notice the date April 4th on *everything*. It was a Wednesday that year, smack in the middle of the week - but the blood drives, the book mobile visit, my dentist appointment, the due date on a couple bills, etc... I was seeing that date everywhere and it was freaky. Then it dawned on me that April 4th was my Grandma's birthday. Hello Grandma! :angel:

Onward and downward!

Terri

Terri in MO
06-03-2003, 12:31 PM
Hello gang!

I'm here to report that yesterday went well in spite of the rain most of the day kind of day.

I made myself do 28 minutes on the spinner yesterday while watching Dr. Phil's show on being overweight. I couldn't wuss out in front of him! :lol: Later on I took the dog for a 40 minute walk. And kept food within point range!! Woohoo!

Today, its cool and gray. These are the kind of days where I get depressed and blah - especially when I'm home on vacation. Boo! But I haven't gone on an eating binge even if it does cross my mind occassionally. I'll have tuna for lunch. For breakfast, I had a small glass of soymilk, banana, and a yogurt. Tonight, I'm making a pizza. This is homemade crust from scratch even! The topping is roma tomatoes, mozarrella, and basil. I can't hardly wait!

I will try for 30 minutes on the spinner and walk the dog 40 tonight.

Look at all the successful things we are accomplishing.

Congrats to those who are losing! Congrats to those sticking to their exercise goals!!!

Punkinseed - Good job on the 5k. That had to be so emotional. You and your mom are in our prayers.

Let's keep kicking butt!! :drill:

brunissen
06-03-2003, 01:13 PM
I did fairly well on Monday....

Went a little over on calories - but I wasn't eating junk so I'm going to go easy on myself for it. I didn't make it to the gym - by the time I got home, I was too hot and too tired, so I spent the evening relaxing. I am going to do my cardio today at lunch, then I plan to swim tonight - at least 30 minutes! I did GREAT on the water yesterday - it definitely makes a I do need to get my butt to the grocery store (I HATE grocery shopping) because the cupboards are almost bare enough that I'll be resorting to fast food for lunch :yikes:

psm

no_way_but_up
06-04-2003, 08:10 AM
i was kind of depressed at the beginning of the week! first of all i was up a 1/2 pound......ok so i wasn't perfect last week, didn't stick to my low carb plan, and didn't get the exercise in i planned......blah, blah, blah.

anyways, i've been on plan the last few days. i've had plenty of water, been real good on my food plan and even got in exercise (including 2 hours of mowing lawn.....yuck). so the good news is i'm down 3.5lbs. from my starting weight (or 4 since monday)

simcoe
06-04-2003, 11:01 AM
Happy dance for No Way But Up:dance: Way to go!!

brunissen
06-04-2003, 11:19 AM
Way to go "no_way"!! :bravo:

I did okay yesterday, I did my cardio at lunch, and was feeling really good when I got back to work - until I was accosted by a piece of white birthday cake! It's not that I was "bad" for having one piece, but I felt all gross and sugared up all afternoon after eating it!

Plan for today - working out with the evil trainer tonight, going to be careful at lunch today - a friend is taking me out, so I'm going to try and eat within my food plan. And as usual, water, water water!

psm

simcoe
06-04-2003, 08:53 PM
Hi fellow challengers. By the way, where are we in our challenge :?: I am lost in terms of dates.

Not a bad day for me; calories and workouts all on target, but fats :devil: . It was that cherry cheese danish at Tim Horton's that killled it. :nono: Oh well. I knew I had the calories for it, so I went for it.

Anyway, tomorrow I have blood work done to see how the cholesterol is doing. Should be just fine. You probably won't hear from me until Sunday or Monday. I am taking my daughter to Montreal for a long weekend. It is her 18th birthday and graduation present. Looking forward to a great time.:p

Talk to y'all then.

Terri in MO
06-05-2003, 08:32 AM
Hi gang! :wave:

I think we are on week five. We started about the first week of May. I remember it was right after my SFIL passed away and that was on 4/25. We might need to regroup with our timeline and our goals.

For Tuesday, I was able to do 30 minutes on the spinner and then walked the dog for another 30 mintues. Food was good - my homemade pizza was great. But not enough veggies for the first part of the week. Yesterday, we ended up with fast food for lunch (this is what happens when you don't eat breakfast and get too hungry). Exercise was weedeating the yard and installing landscape edging to finish off my landscape area. My body hurt too much to do any spinner or dog walking.

Today's plan is to get DH to take me on an adventure day-trip since this is "vacation". If its not raining when we get back. I will get my bike out for a spin. I've actually moved it to the part of garage where I can access it but I need to change the pedals and air up the tires.

Have a great OP day ladies!

brunissen
06-05-2003, 09:56 AM
could have done much better yesterday...I also could have done worse...I need to learn to NOT let myself get so hungry and then I won't have the kind of evening I had.

Today I'm back on track, brought good healthy food to eat during the day, I'll do my cardio at lunch, and of course drink tons of water.

Here's to a getter Thursday!

psm

Punkinseed
06-05-2003, 10:18 AM
Again, water is the magical tool...

I'm heading for the 220's at warp speed. Matter of fact, I'm 2 pounds from my lowest weight in 5 years and my missing waistline is starting to come out of hiding... :cb:

I'm trying to find out where our fearless leader dissappeared to. Amarantha doesn't normally go AWOL without giving a heads up.

:drill: Amarantha, report for duty!!!! :drill:

Have a great day everyone!

Terri

Terri in MO
06-05-2003, 07:41 PM
I did it! I did it! I did it! I did it!

:dance: :cb: :jig:

I got my bike out and rode for 35 minutes around the neighborhood. Its not totally flat but I wouldn't call them hills either. It didn't feel good at first but once my legs got into it - it was fabulous!

I'm so jazzed! :flow1:

Punkinseed
06-06-2003, 10:05 AM
:bravo: Way to go Terri! :bravo:

Snuck a peek at the scale again today (gotta get off that scale!) and I'm at 230.5... 220's here I come!!!!!!!

Still no word from the General Amarantha...

Today - water to counteract the pizza I had for dinner last night.

Glug, glug,

Terri

RavenToy
06-06-2003, 10:19 AM
I'm fighting the plateau battle. My lifting is going well, did a very nice upper body yesterday, and I reached one goal I'd set for myself with the aerobics. I can now run for 1/4 mile at around 5mph. I achieved the 2 miles in 30 minutes I'd wanted to hit. I can now also run at 6mph for 1 minute without dropping dead. My wind is improving slightly, and my muscle stamina is starting to improve. Tomorrow is lower body, and of course, that will completely wreck me for the couple days afterwards. I will be living dead girl personified.

Eating has been pretty much on track. Water consumption is good.

Now if that $&#*@!& scale would just move DOWN I'd be a happy camper. *grumble*

Hope everyone else is rocking right along!

brunissen
06-06-2003, 02:20 PM
:high: Excellent Terri!

I've been pretty much following through on my workout plans - so that's good. Bad news is my eating is getting bad again. :( So I'm trying to snap myself out of that! Water's good.

I plan to work out this weekend (both days), and I just came back from my lunchtime cardio, so if I make sure I work out this weekend and try to stay on my food plan, I'm hoping Monday will show at least a 2 pound loss! That will keep me where I want to be for my ulitmate goal.

Hope everyone has a great Friday and a wonderful weekend (snow is forecasted here in Denver!).

Wildfire
06-07-2003, 07:46 PM
Where is Amarantha????? I'm going to do the BFL Challenge!! OH, AMARANTHA, WHERE ARE YOU HIDING????

Terri in MO
06-07-2003, 07:59 PM
Didn't she mention problems with either her computer or her computer and this website a while back? Hopefully its computer problems and nothing worse.

I went to WI this morning and down four pounds. Since I had gained two pounds at last WI that I blamed on PMS, I think I'm four pounds towards my goal of 20. Oops, better get more focused. As I've gotten my exercise up to 60 minutes a day now, it should go faster. That is big progress on one of my goals.

I'm reposting my goals from the beginning of this challenge (4/30/03).

That puts us at five full weeks done and ready to start week six. That puts us almost at half-way in our challenge. Time to regroup or batten down the focus! Let's GO!

Food Plan: Weight Watchers

Exercise Plan: Walking, Spinner or outdoor bike riding; WATPs, and conditioning exercises. If you don't mind, I'll post the details of what I plan for the week.

Overall Goal: Lose 20 pounds and have my endurance built up to doing an hour of cardio type exercise a day without being wiped out.

Support Needed: Staying focused!

RavenToy
06-08-2003, 12:40 PM
Hey folks.. I hope Amarantha is ok, and just experiencing technical difficulties temporarily.

My daughter and I both officially registered a half pound loss this week. Finally. After three weeks of gains, it was nice to see those disappear, as well as the half pound. LB yesterday was a good one. Lunges still kill me. Went up to 40 lbs on the dumbell calf raises and finally hit a 10 on those suckers. Heck of a workout for my grip, too. :D

Today is free day, and so far it's been homemade berry pancakes. The kids want pizza hut pizza for dinner, and the BF and I are going out to see The Italian Job and then to Chilis for dinner. *burp* So much for that half pound. :o

Wildfire - Welcome to BFL!! I'm doing a modified one, but very much using the pyramid sets and aerobic interval training. I don't know that I'll ever be a purist on the food, though.

Hope everyone is having a good and relaxing weekend!

brunissen
06-09-2003, 10:28 AM
Well, I was hoping for a 2 pound loss last week, didn't make that, but I am down 1.6 pounds and I'm happy about that!

Did pretty well this weekend - didn't make it to the gym, but did well with my food at least - and for me on a weekend that's a huge accomplishment!

Plan for today - the usual for food/water, and I'm working with the evil trainer tonight.

I am hoping that this will FINALLY be the week when I drop below 300 - keep your fingers crossed for me!

Hope everyone has a good monday!

psm

simcoe
06-09-2003, 09:44 PM
Congrats to all the losers and those who are just staying the course. I had a great time in "La Belle Provence" ie Montreal, Quebec. Actually, the eating was pretty much on track and I got alot of exercise with walking around alot.

I can totally relate to the dreaded plateau. Usually I try and change what I am eating a bit, or change my exercise routine. Sometimes nothing works and you just have to ride it out. It does pass eventually, but it is no fun while you wait to get there:mad: Hang in there Raven. Believe it or not, the scale cannot stay there forever (it just feels like it).

Congrats on the bike, Terri. Way to go! I do official weigh in tomorrow at the gym, so will report then. Cheers.

Terri in MO
06-10-2003, 07:28 AM
Quick report for Monday:

Food was good. I got lax on the water so I'm seeing it this morning in the scale. I did walk the dog for 40 minutes last night. I even did several jog then walk cycles - not that I jogged far or fast but I figure it had to help with the intensity of the walk. Got to start somewhere!

Just reread my goals so I'm focused for the day! Have a great one!

brunissen
06-10-2003, 09:57 AM
Report for Monday -

Did really well on food, water and exercising!

Plan for today - do the same as Monday. I'm aiming to break 300 on my next "official" weigh-in next monday.

Here's to a great Tuesday for all of us!

psm

simcoe
06-10-2003, 08:58 PM
Report for Tuesday...did not do my weigh in at the gym today because I misplaced my locker key and could not get my stuff. Have found the spare key and will be doing weigh in and usual workout tomorrow. Everything else today is on track. Talk to you tomorrow...hope everyone is well.

Terri in MO
06-11-2003, 07:25 AM
Not much to report. Food was scarce during the day (by accident not planning) so therefore was starved when I got home. Had planned on skinny chicken enchiladaes but DH (the cook) was having a really bad day and had not done his part of them and I was too hungry to wait. So....dug bad stuff out of the freezer. Also, because of being so hungry (maybe even blood sugar bottom out) I didn't have the energy to exercise.

I AM not doing that again today!

brunissen
06-11-2003, 09:55 AM
Well, I hate to jinx myself, but I've had TWO FABULOUS days in a row....Yesterday my food was good - I ate just about 150 calories more than I had planned only because I was so hungry when I got home from the gym, my water was good, I did my cardio at lunch and worked with the evil trainer in the evening. If I can just keep this up this week, I'll be doing GREAT!

Plan for today, more of the same.

Terri - I know what you mean about waiting too long to eat - I make that mistake way too many times on the weekends, and then by the time I do eat I feel like I could unhinge my jaw and load every bit of food in the house into my mouth.

Here's to a good Wednesday!

simcoe
06-11-2003, 12:43 PM
Terri, I can totally relate also. The worst thing for me to do is to wait to eat until I am really hungry; if I do I overeat and eat whatever doesn't move too fast. Translation - JUNK!!:nono:

Did my weigh in at the gym this a.m., and am only down 1/2 a pound from last week. Considering how much I "enjoyed" last week, I deserved it, but it was worth it! Anyway, got the work out in and this week has been totally on track.

Talk to you guys soon. Is it my imagination, or is our group getting smaller and smaller??? Maybe they have all lost so much weight that they just evaporated?:lol:

Terri in MO
06-11-2003, 10:45 PM
Wednesday's report:

Only had time for 20 mintues on the spinner and then 20 minutes to walk the dog. Stupid DH went out and got the dog to chase the ball a few times knowing that I was getting ready to walk him. He knows that Bear is 140 pounds and that our walks always wear him out so why he would do that is beyond me. Especially since its warm and humid. So we got cheated on our walk. :censored:

brunissen
06-12-2003, 10:14 AM
Man, I just seem to have actually gotten my focus and motivation back - I had yet another good day! :dancer:

Did well on food, water, cardio, and the evil trainer.

Plan for today - cardio at lunch, stick to food plan, do my water, but no trainer again until Saturday. I'm going to a friends house tonight (unless he cancels on me), so there may be BAD food temptations there! I'm going to eat beforehand and resist eating while I'm there.

Have a lovely thursday ladies!

psm

simcoe
06-12-2003, 08:12 PM
Congrats, Brunissen. It feels great to have a couple of positive days under our belts, doesn't it?

I had a good day as well, met my targets on all counts, did really well with water, and had my aerobics class today. Got out and moved the lawn too, which helped. Eating went well and I have calories left over which I should try and use before I go to bed.

I heard a great thing today about exercise and movitation: if they were giving out $1,000 bills at the gym, would you find the time to go? It is all about the motivation to get there. I am going to keep this one in mind when I am having those "I don't wanna" days.:)

Have a good one girls.

brunissen
06-13-2003, 09:50 AM
Yeah Sim!!!

Well, Thursday was both good and bad...

Good: I did fabulous (4th day now) with food, water, and did my cardio at lunch! :cp:

Bad: Just my drama around one friend who I wish was much much more than a friend. I don't even want to go into it.

Good: Although I was VERY UPSET last night and in need of a Ben&Jerry 3some, instead of eating I went on a closet cleaning frenzy - okay, I also put away some stuff that was all about "him".

Bad: The closet cleaning frenzy didn't start until about midnight, and it lasted a couple hours, and I still had a hard time falling asleep when I went to bed. Needless to say, I am buttass :tired: tired today.

Plan for today - cardio at lunch, do my water, stick with my eating, and finish the closet cleaning frenzy. At least Goodwill will benefit from my drama.

Happy Friday the 13th!

psm

Terri in MO
06-14-2003, 10:27 PM
Moving us up!

It feels like food has been bad for a couple of days. Maybe its because I just had dinner. :p

I've walked the dog everynight but haven't been on the spinner or bike much this week. Tomorrow my plan is to make a plan for the week - more veggies!

Today, I spent almost all day with my MIL doing some shopping with her. We hit several stores trying to find all the odds and ends she needed for her new apartment. It was hot too and we were in and out of the hot car. I am absolutely wiped out. I feel like I'm the one who is 83! I think the humidity is making me feel like a slug - an unambitious slug. Must get out of that funk! :yikes:

Everyone, have a great Sunday! Weekends are our toughest challenge so lets rise to it tomorrow!

simcoe
06-16-2003, 10:49 AM
Hello Ladies. Well another weekend past and did fine. I do not usually record my progress on the weekends, but sort of keep a mental track of how I am doing.

Tomorrow morning (Tuesday) is my weigh in day. I have no idea how this will go, because my plan has me weigh myself everyday and I have been all over the place for some reason. Oh well, we will just hope for the best. :dizzy: Have a great day.

brunissen
06-16-2003, 12:59 PM
I did pretty well this weekend, and I'm happy to say I'm down 2.4 pounds! Only 2 pounds away from 300! :D

Plan for today, I wrenched my back yesterday, so I'm home taking it easy today so my goal is pretty much to NOT spend the day on the sofa eating. My trainer wants me to do cardio 5x this week, and if my back is feeling better later I'll hit the gym.

Hope you ladies all had a wonderful weekend!

simcoe
06-16-2003, 06:23 PM
Congrats Brunissen....you are going to make it, I know you will!!:cp:

I had a good day eating and am looking forward (?) to aerobics class tonight. Will report in on what the scale says tomorrow.

brunissen
06-17-2003, 10:16 AM
I hope the scale is very good to you on your weigh in today Simcoe!

My Monday didn't go so well, I ate a WHOLE lot more than I should have. But, today is another day, and I'm not going to dwell about it.

Plan for today - cardio tonight, then the trainer. Food-1500 cal, 192 oz water.

simcoe
06-17-2003, 10:26 AM
Had weigh in today and am the same as last week weigh in. This did not surprise or bother me because my weight was all over the place last week :dizzy: . I think that it is just one of those things.

My plan is to stay the course, eat properly and stay active. Same thing as always; not very romantic but in the end it seems to get the job done!

brunissen
06-17-2003, 10:59 AM
I'm with you Simcoe - as long as the numbers aren't going up, I'm fine with maintaining for a week or so....Since you and I are both using DietPower, I have a question for you - do you use their estimated calories for the amount you should be eating, or do you follow your own course. I pretty much ignore their suggested calories and follow what I believe is right for me, so I'm just curious about what others do....

simcoe
06-17-2003, 12:39 PM
I did not realize that you were using the same progam as me. I use the daily calories they provide as a guide only. I am actually more interested in my mix of fat/carbs/protein. I don't think I have ever used the amount of calories they say; I am usually a bit under. I do like the act of recording everything I eat though. This I find keeps me on track more than anything. The one thing I find frustrating is that when I am in a plateau, like now, I hate watching that line on the graph stay the same and watching my projected weight go up. That being said, this is the only plan that has worked for me because I am totally accountable for what I eat; it is not a diet, but a tool for having a "healthy" eating plan.

brunissen
06-17-2003, 12:56 PM
Yeah, I hate seeing the line go flat...that's really the only reason I started weighing myself daily, so just I could see that I was doing something, good or bad. I asked about the calories, because it seems to think I need a whole lot less calories than I think I need, and it annoys me that I see how "overdrawn" I currently am...

psm

simcoe
06-17-2003, 05:53 PM
I agree about the calories. I am usually working off of a positive balance. That is why I asked a few weeks ago about how many calories you guys were using daily. Sometimes I feel that my biggest problem is not eating enough too.

brunissen
06-18-2003, 09:48 AM
Well, even though today isn't my "official" weight day, I do weigh myself daily, and this morning for the first time in I don't know how many YEARS I am under 300 pounds!!!!! 298.8 to be exact!!!!

:dancer: :dancer: :dancer: :dancer:

I just stood there on the scale looking at the number, then gave my puppy a biscuit to celebrate!

Needless to say, I'm all jazzed, happy, and focused today on the weight loss! Also, worked with the evil trainer last night, and he and I made a bet - he wants to lose 7 pounds and put some more muscle on and I just want to lose, lose, lose weight and inches, so we have a 6 week challenge running. There are points for every pound lost and every change in measurement, and the most points at the end (the winner) gets taken to dinner by the other one. He's got the same bet going with two of his other clients. I am going to be the one to kick his ***!

Simcoe - I was trying to stick to 1200 calories/day, but I actually wasn't losing as much weight and was hungry all the time! So I bumped myself up to 1500-1800 calories/day (I try to stay on the low end) so I'm not hungry, and I have the evergry to get through my workouts. And it seems to be working, I'm losing at a reasonable pace once again.

Have a great Wednesday!

psm :D :D :D

simcoe
06-18-2003, 12:21 PM
Way to go Brunissen...I will do the happy dance for you :dance:

I did the aerobics thing last night and was at the gym this morning. I just recently upped the amount of weights I was using and am really feeling it now. Food was fine too and stayed within the calorie range. Brunissen, I would love to increase my food intake, but am nervous that I will start to gain again. Are you increasing your protein, carbos or what?

brunissen
06-18-2003, 12:36 PM
Simcoe - Actually, I decreased my protein, and increased my carbs and fat (yes, my fat intake). I try to stick with the healthy fat (nuts and fish, very little red meat and dairy), and the healthier carbs (fruit, veggies, whole grains). Right now I aim for 20% protien, 50-60% carbs, and 20-30% fat.

simcoe
06-18-2003, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the help, B. It is nice to have someone else on this plan to hear ideas from.:)

Terri in MO
06-18-2003, 10:41 PM
I am soooo sorry, ladies! :sorry: I didn't realize so many days had slipped away since I had last reported in. I've been reading and I've been working my plan so I have not given up on the challenge.

The scale is dipping down so I believe all this concentration on increasing exercise (and just plain sticking to it) is paying off. I hope to have a good WI on Saturday morning. I need to go drink a bunch of water tonight to help ward off water retention that always seems to happen at WI time.

Bruissen - :bravo: for such a great reward on the scale. Unofficial or not, it happened!

Simcoe - holding steady on the scale can be frustrating but looks like you've got the right attitude about it. It will happen if you stick to your plan and it can't happen if you don't. It will happen for you soon!

Thanks ladies for keeping the challenge going. Even though I have not reported in like I should, I do believe this challenge is making a difference for me. I know my stamina is improved and the scale has moved down in the last six weeks. While I'm not on the pace I had wanted, its better than holding steady at where I was six weeks ago. I believe we have six weeks left. Now's the time for me to set my plans to kick it up a notch and see if I can't get more pounds off. No time for slacking!

Where are all the other recruits?? I hope Aramantha is doing okay and that its just computer problems.

Take care!

brunissen
06-19-2003, 09:48 AM
I did well yesterday IN SPITE of the two donuts I "HAD" to have, and you know as I was eating them I realized I just didn't enjoy the taste of them as I had in the past. I also didn't drink enough water, and TOM is banging on the door trying to get in just in time to screw up my weighin and measurements for the bet with my evil trainer. *sigh*

Plan for today: Cardio at lunch, 1500 calories, 192 oz water!! I may be working with the evil trainer tonight - he's going to call if he has an opening in his schedule, otherwise I "may" go swimming depending on TOM of course.

Determined - Welcome Back!!

Have a great day ladies!

simcoe
06-19-2003, 11:50 AM
Welcome Back, Terri. I agree....where are all the others??? Just the small but mighty left I guess.

Today I have the dreaded PMS monster and am STARVING!!!:devil: So far, so good though and I am staying on track. If I eat a bit more, I will just increase the exercise. I have aerobics tonight which I never feel like doing, but am always glad I did.

Take care Ladies, and talk to you soon.

Terri in MO
06-19-2003, 07:37 PM
Hi! :wave:

I'm glad to report that food is good for the day and I just finished 20 minutes on the spinner. I'll take the dog for a 30 min walk before bed.

Good luck ladies with beating that PMS hunger monster. Its a tough one to overcome. Do either of you take soy? I drink soy milk and take a calcium, magnesium, and zinc supplement. I think the combination has help alleviate some of the symptons of PMS. I also tried upping my water intake around PMS time and it did help - once I got focused on it.

simcoe
06-19-2003, 09:02 PM
For me, drinking soy milk would be worse than the symptoms of PMS:lol:

brunissen
06-20-2003, 10:42 AM
I don't drink soymilk (yuck!), but I do eat soy protein bars and shakes. And my current favorite snack is baked soy pasta chips - mighty tasty, good source of protein and low fat, and they satisfy any chip cravings I may have. I do find I need to really watch how much soy I eat, too much and not only are my cramps WORSE, but I get them the entire month...

brunissen
06-20-2003, 12:33 PM
I did really really well yesterday on my food, water, and cardio in spite of TOM banging on the door!

Tonight is the weighin/measure with the evil trainer to mark the start of our 6-week bet. I'm almost disappointed that I'm not really bloatee because that'd be a SURE FIRE way to have lost inches when the bet is over.

Happy Friday, and I hope you ladies have a great weekend! I'm going shopping tomorrow for some smaller sized girlie clothes!

Terri in MO
06-20-2003, 07:37 PM
Well shoot, I just hit some combo of keys and all my text disappeared. I'll start over.

Okay, I guess the soy milk is out. :lol:

Today was Employee Appreciation Day at work so they provided a picnic for us - shredded beef sandwich, potato salad, slaw, and beans. I got small portions because frankly, the food looked yucky. Wasn't bad except it was too soupy. The bad thing was the Drumstick ice cream. Yummy! Tonight, DH is making chicken, peppers and a small amount of pasta. I need to get up and spend some time on the spinner. I know I'll walk the dog later on.

Tomorrow is WI. Its also our department picnic so food will be bad tomorrow night. Its just going to be that way because I haven't had so many picnics yet that I'm sick of them! :lol:

I think DH and I are going to try the South Beach Diet. Well, I'm going to tailor our WW plans towards that philosophy. Since he is diabetic, I've done a lot of reading on the glycemic value of carbs and stuff trying to figure out the best foods for us to eat. Breads & starches have always been a downfall for me so I have been trying to limit those. The S.B. diet is geared toward the same type of eating plan. I'd like to help him jump-start and have some success.

Bruissen - Have fun shopping! How great for smaller-sized clothes - that always makes it more fun.

Have a good weekend!

slim_chick_wannabe
06-21-2003, 08:36 AM
well, i haven't been doing good with dieting or even with my posting (coincidence, i think not) anyways, i need to catch up on things before monday. I'm gonna start an official bfl challenge and i don't want any excuses. My eating and exercises so far is sporadic at best and i need to do something, maybe doing the pics and all required will kick me in the butt.

Wildfire
06-21-2003, 09:03 AM
Hey girls! :wave: Sorry I kinda dropped out of the challenge. I started BFL (Day 12 today), and my focus has been on that. I haven't lost any weight on it yet, but I'm getting stronger and building muscle. I can already see the difference in my biceps! The changes will come soon, as more muscle means more burn.

Congrats on the successes you are having!

simcoe
06-21-2003, 10:18 AM
Well, I was very busy yesterday, so I did not have time to report. My daughter just graduated from High School and has a job as a camp counsellor for the summer, so we had to make the long trek up north last night to drop her off.

I was eating on the run all day yesterday, although did fairly well. I am so happy to report, that even though today is not my official weigh in day, that I have broken my plateau. Weight today is down to 183 which is down 1.5LB. Also I did my measurements, and my waist is also down 1 inch. Now that I am moving again, I am so glad that I persevered and stuck with it. You know those days when you think "what's the point"? Thanks girls for supporting me through another, with I am sure, many to come, dreaded plateau. :)

simcoe
06-23-2003, 09:57 AM
Hope everyone had a great weekend. The weather here is wonderful, very warm and sunny :cool:

I had a good weekend program wise as well and was able to maintain my loss from Friday. Off to aerobics tonight, although this and Thursday are my last formal classes for the summer. I will have to make sure I find some other aerobic activity that I can do consistently to see me through until September. These classes are held at our local public school and do not run during non class times.

Thursday is our last day of school here, and since I drive a school bus, I am really looking forward to it. The summer off can't come soon enough!!!:p

brunissen
06-23-2003, 10:14 AM
I hate Mondays....just didn't feel like dragging my butt out of bed this morning. BUT at least the scale said happy things - I'm OFFICIALLY under 300 pounds! I weighed in at 298.2 this morning! :cp:

Plan for today, 1500-1600 calories, 160 oz water, 1 hour plyometrics with the evil trainer, do my stretching.

Hope you ladies had a good weekend.

Terri in MO
06-23-2003, 09:04 PM
Hi ladies,

Time for Monday's report. DH and I started the South Beach phase 1 today. Wow, this will take some getting used to - worth it once we get used to it, I hope. I need to do some better planning for small, more frequent meals. I only had the energy to do 10 minutes on the airdyne. That's because DH had to take a ride tonight instead of fixing dinner and I was starved. But, food is good today and I will take the big dog for a nice walk here as soon as the sun goes down.

Congrats, Bruissen! :bravo: Congrats, Simcoe! :bravo: We just have to hang in there long enough and the results will come! Keep up all the great work! We're on the downhill slide of this challenge.

brunissen
06-24-2003, 10:11 AM
So Terri, what exactly is the South Beach diet? I've heard of it, but I have never looked into it.

Did okay on monday, didn't drink enough water, and my trainer had to cancel our session. Plan for today, the usual, and GET SOME SLEEP tonight! :tired:

psm

simcoe
06-24-2003, 11:51 AM
Congrats on everyone's continued success.

I am with you Brunissen...what is the south beach diet?? I tend to stay away from so called "diets", because I find they only work in the short term, but I am always interested in getting ideas to incorporate into my calorie reduced plan.

Everything okay here but it is HOT :devil:, so there is no working out in the outdoors during the day. Made a stop at the gym this a.m. to get in the weights and will go for a walk tonight when it is hopefully cooler.

Terri in MO
06-24-2003, 09:32 PM
I read about the SB diet in the prevention magazine. Their website has the article.

www.prevention.com

It is basically a healthy version of Atkins. It promotes lean meats, vegetables, the good fats, and low-glycemic fruits. It was designed by a cardiologist for his patients with triglyceride and diabetes. This is supposed to be good for both of those - which my DH has. Phase 1 is where you eliminate the starchy, high-sugar foods from your diet - rice, bread, potatoes, most dairy, corn and fruits. Phase 1 is supposed to achieve a resetting of how the body metabolizes the carbs and how insulin reacts. Then in phase 2, you can add back the carbs and dairy in small amounts - preferably low-sugar, high-fiber. You add back at a level where you are still losing weight and staying satisfied. What you should get to is being able to eat lean meat, lots of veggies, moderate fruits, yogurt, milk, and occassional high-glycemic carbs.

In reality, it is a well balanced nutrition plan that focuses on lean meats, good carbs, good fats, and healthy dairy products. This could be done by any nutrition program such as Fitday or WW. I don't think of it as a "diet" that focuses on total reliance on one food (cabbage soup) or permanently eliminating something (low-fat or low-carb). It just emphasizes the best foods for someone with blood sugar and triglyceride or those who have too much belly fat leading to higher risk of heart disease.

This is how I've been trying to get DH to eat within the WW program for a long time. He just refuses to even try to understand WW - says its too complicated. He understands this program so I'm letting him plan and cook around it while I use the WW tools to make sure we're getting enough calories and not too much calories.

Sorry - that turned into a small novella. :o

brunissen
06-25-2003, 09:37 AM
Terri - The diet sounds interesting - you'll have to let us know how it works for you. Has phase I been very painful? I remember back in the 70's when the Atkins diet first came out, I tried it and all the protein with no carbs just made me miserable!

Did well yesterday, aiming to do well today. I haven't gotten in my cardio at all this week, and let me tell you I see the difference in my daily weigh-ins!

Have a great day ladies!

simcoe
06-25-2003, 01:33 PM
I agree....tried the low carb thing and just had the worst headaches! I was struggling back in January and did Suzanne Somers for a couple of weeks just to get me kick started. This worked, but is not something I could do long term. Too much denial!!

All going well here...staying on target with the food and exercise. Only one more day until the end of school........:D

brunissen
06-26-2003, 10:31 AM
Well, Wednesday was okay. But I haven't been doing my cardio AT ALL this week, and let me tell you girls, the numbers on the scale show it! If I don't get my butt in gear, not only will I NOT lose this week, I may even gain. :( And I've got lunch with friends today and dinner with friends Saturday night to get through before the next "official" weigh-in. *sigh*

psm

Terri in MO
06-26-2003, 07:28 PM
Hi ladies!

I've had four really good food days. I've walked the dog each night but in this phase 1, I have not had the stamina to hit the cardio very hard. Which is okay, my body will adjust and next week will be better.

I am down four pounds so far so this has helped me break past a plateau area.

I did ride my bike 20 minutes tonight and will take the dog on his 40 minute walk later on.

Keep up all the great work!

brunissen
06-27-2003, 09:55 AM
:bravo: Terri! So the SB diet is working out for you so far then??? Hasn't it been really hard to stick to? I read about it on that link you posted, and I think no bread for 2 weeks would kill me!

I am not doing as well :( ....I haven't done ANY cardio this week :nono:, and believe me I won't be making this mistake again. I weighed myself this morning as I was back up to 301.8....it was so sad to no see the number start with a 2, but I hope it was the kick in the pants I need to get my butt back in gear.

A friend who I haven't seen in probably 2 1/2 months stopped by last week, and he did notice how much I have lost, so that was nice. :)

This weekend I'm going do my cardio, so some swimming and go a bike ride with a friend Sunday Morning - so hopefully that combined with watching my eating will at least mean I don't gain for my official monday morning weight.

simcoe
06-27-2003, 12:40 PM
Congrats on the loss so far Terri. I agree with you Brunissen, if I don't do any cardio I can kiss any weight loss good-bye. It does not matter what else I do, cardio is key. Remember, weight training builds up muscle, but cardio burns fat.

I did a muscle conditioning class last night and my aerobics this morning. Tomorrow we are going to go to the zoo, which will be alot of walking. This time we are packing a lunch instead of buying lunch there, which will definitely save a few cals.

I know we all struggle on the weekends, so lets try and stay positive and just do our best. Let's not strive for perfection, but our best on any given day is pretty darn good too.

Terri in MO
06-28-2003, 07:58 PM
Hi ladies,

Bringing us up in the list. No exercise for the day.

This morning was our church's ladies ministry meeting that ended in lunch. I didn't eat any breakfast other than a couple of the veggie pizza pieces that I had made to take for the lunch. I did so well; I was so thrilled with myself. I quickly moved on past the plates of sandwiches right for the veggies & dip, then on to grapes and strawberries; a breakfast quiche the size of a small cupcake, and two small pieces of my veggie pizza. I did go back for more veggies and fruit and did give into one chocolate cookie. I did not want to overdo on the carbs since I'm still in phase 1 but I also wanted to enjoy the lunch too. It was all very satisfying. Woohoo!

My exercise energy went to being frustrated at Lowe's trying to buy a new patio furniture set. That was a two hour ordeal. I might muster up enough to walk the dog later on tonight. But then again, might not. :D

Hope you are having a successful weekend. These are so challenging with the extra temptations. Good luck!

brunissen
06-30-2003, 09:52 AM
Well, I don't know if I lost this past week or not - I'm currently under orders from my trainer to NOT weigh myself (for all the details, see my journal). So I'm going to stay off the scale this week, and I'll weigh in next monday morning.

This week I do VOW to do my cardio, and I'm seeing the evil trainer at least 3 and possibly 4 times. I'm also going to go for a bike ride one day of this long weekend - I did my first one in 15 years yesterday and really enjoyed it, so I'm going to do it again!

Hope you ladies had a great weekend, and here's to a successful week for all of us.

simcoe
06-30-2003, 08:14 PM
Brunissen, I was having a look at your journal and completely agree with your entry that people think that overweight=out of shape. We were just talking about this at my aerobics class. I can kick some of those skinny girl butts at aerobics, although I look in good shape these days, I still have some lbs to loose. Way to go in sounding off about this!!:strong:

I think that I would go into panic stages if I did not weigh myself everyday, so kudos for this one too. I have been working really hard at my fitness and today increased the weights that I use at my aerobics class. Tonight I am sore but feel that I really am moving forward, so I can take the tight muscles.

I am down 1 lb this week to 182 so feeling good about that too. Well I am off for a few days vacation in the trailer, so I will not be reporting until Friday night or Saturday. Wish me luck with staying on plan as best as I can. Talk to you girls soon.

Terri in MO
07-01-2003, 08:14 PM
Hello!

Reporting in for Monday and Tuesday. I'm making more effort to get away from the computer and since I'm trying to get to work earlier for the summer months....not much time to post!

I'm still doing well with the South Beach. I'm not missing bread at all and have been very satisfied with our meals. Tonight it was tacos without the shells. The scale is still looking good however I'm up a pound or two which I attribute to TOM and the humidity. As soon as one or the other moves on, so will the water.

Summer allergies have made me very lethargic. I'm going to get off here soon and go do 20 minutes on the airdyne and later on take the dog for our 1.5 mile walk.

Bruissen - I read in your journal about your 5 mile bike ride. I love biking. I felt so good for you to read of your accomplishment. Isn't it a wonderful feeling? Keep at it because all your efforts are paying off.

Simcoe - Congrats on being down another pound. Nothing like success to keep us motivated and willing to go to the next steps. Have fun on your time away!

I'm with both of you about the regular weighing.

Looking down at the calendar - looks like this is our 9th week of the 12 week challenge. Does that seem right to you? We sure did lose a lot of bootcampers! I'd like to keep going on the challenge - what do you think?

Let's kick butt! :drill:

brunissen
07-02-2003, 10:20 AM
Terri and Simcoe - sounds like you two are doing AWESOME!!! And I'm definitely on for keeping the challenge going to the end.

I broke down and weighed myself this morning - 300.6. I actually feel better knowing rather than the wild speculation I tend to excel at. So now I just gotta get my nose back to the old grindstone - problem is it's gotten hot here (I HATE HOT) so I have zero interest in going to the gym and sweating even more! But I'm going to force myself to just do it. Also, I was going to try and just weigh myself 2x a week, but I just feel better knowing where I'm at daily, so I'm going to go back to the daily weigh-ins - just don't tell the evil trainer! :sssh:

I went over the new food plan with the trainer last night - basically I'm aiming for 60% carbs, 20% protein, 20% fat and about 1650 calories/day. That's very doable. The way he showed me to do it, however, is a total pain in the butt - I had flashbacks to Weight Watchers and their exchanges. So I'm going to slightly modify how I do it and still stay within the guidelines.

Have a good Wednesday!

brunissen
07-02-2003, 10:25 AM
My revised goal for this challenge - weigh 290 by 7/31/03....

Terri in MO
07-03-2003, 07:39 AM
Hello ladies!

Yesterday was a bit of a cheat - but not much! It was my birthday so we went out to lunch and had two pieces of the bread at Macaroni Grill. We ordered very healthy stuff otherwise - calarmarie, salads, tomatoes with mozzarella - very good stuff. I walked the dog later on but other than that. Was a slug. I've got to kick these allergies; this sluggishness is driving me crazy.

Have a great day!

simcoe
07-05-2003, 11:30 AM
Hello Ladies. Sounds like everyone is having a positive week. Back from the lake and although I did not exactly stay on plan, I feel that I did okay. Did lots of walking. My weight is up and down this week, a lb up and a lb down. Go figure! I don't understand what goes on with our bodies sometimes. This 5 lbs between 185 and 180 seems to be killing me, but I will stay the course. I definitely look in way better shape and my formerly "thin" clothes are getting loose so I know that I am firming up.

Anyway, back to the routine. I am definitely for finishing our challege, although I must admit, I am not too sure where we are:dizzy: . We will have to continue with our contact after the challenge is officially over. Maybe a different thread?

Talk to you soon.

brunissen
07-05-2003, 05:05 PM
Well, thankfully the Fourth is over...I ate too much and drank too much, and now I'm going to spend the weekend trying to make up for lost time...but I sure had FUN yesterday!! :D I'm going swimming for a hour today, and tomorrow I'm either going to cardio or swim - depends on what I'm in the mood for (and how hot it gets!).

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekends!

Terri in MO
07-06-2003, 06:46 PM
Hi ladies,

Yes, I too am glad this food fest is over. I'm looking forward to a strict week of South Beach!

I'm all for keeping in contact because its helped me having a place to post that just about making goals, plans to meet the goals and being accountable.

How about a challenge for the month of July? We could start a new thread for that and then start a new one each month. We're so close to finishing this, I see no reason not to call it an end and start afresh. Maybe we'll pick up some new comrades with a new challenge.

Having said all that, I'm starting a new thread called:

July Bootcamp Challenge

Join me over there!