Exercise! - April Running - Forget the showers and run!

lm3898
04-01-2013, 09:14 AM
Welcome to the April running blog!!!

I'll start us off - 5.5 mile run yesterday - finally got to wear shorts for the first time since last Fall! Beautiful/overcast perfect running weather day so I took advantage! Trying to stay under 8 miles for all runs this month while my body "heals"....

Anybody else?

devadiva
04-01-2013, 09:17 AM
I got in a short one yesterday just shy of 4 miles..can not believe how good it feels to run with extra weight off...can't wait till I can run more BUT I am sure my boy can not wait till he can walk better!

Pink Hurricane
04-01-2013, 10:03 AM
Definitely going to incorporate running back into my schedule, shooting for 2-3 days a week of running!

CherryPie99
04-01-2013, 10:34 AM
8 miles yesterday - didn't come near running off what I ended up eating, but psychologically felt like a victory!

Trying to get the courage up to run a 1/2 Mary next month!

Kitcherella
04-02-2013, 02:35 AM
Hello runners :wave:
This is my month as on the 21st I will run my first 5k. Last April I was doing Leslie Sansone's workout while watching the marathon on TV and I thought that next year I am running. Well, after completing c25k over the summer and running 40 min 3 times a week over the winter, I am ready!
I was wondering what do you use to measure distance? I think it is time to buy a watch. Do you have any recommendations?

lm3898
04-02-2013, 08:50 AM
Kitch - do you have/run with an iphone? There are a bunch of great apps I use while I run...mapmyrun is a good app - you can also make maps on their website to show how far you've run or to plan a route. Runkeeper and endomondo are both great, free apps that track your progress. I keep my iphone on my armband and it stays secure during my runs!

You can also get a running watch like garmin but those will get pricy depending on the brand etc.

gatorgirl6
04-02-2013, 07:52 PM
I ran with my phone today, but I never thought about using it to track distance. I should do that. Instead I used it to take pictures. Yes, pictures. Why, you ask, did I take pictures? Because I found a castle. I'll see if I can figure out how to post a pic, but it was an actual castle. Crazy.

Nikel1979
04-02-2013, 08:06 PM
I was using my phone to track my distance. I was using my RunKeeper, and I was also using Pandora for distance. My phone couldn't handle the double digits distances in the cold though, so I broke down and bought a Garmin Forerunner 10 & an iPod Nano. I prefer the watch. With the phone, either I had to set it up to audio cues, which I find distracting, or I'd have to pull out the phone to look at it.

CherryPie99
04-02-2013, 08:41 PM
Kitch, I had a Polar but was not impressed. I switched to the Garmin Forerunner 410 and love it!

Kitcherella
04-03-2013, 03:05 AM
Thanks for the info, I do not have an iphone so I can't use these applications. But if I decide to buy one, I am definitely getting the application with the zombies.
I was thinking about a Garmin Forerunner 10 too.
gatorgirl6 - a castle? great! The most exciting thing I saw while running in the rain was a :snail:

lm3898
04-03-2013, 08:06 AM
The only issue with my iphone running apps as they are not always 100% accurate but that depends on the gps signal. Sometimes I'll use more than one at a time to check.

Ran 5.5 miles [according to my gps lol] last night. Felt good b/c I really didn't want to move but I made myself do it. Despite the half marathon's I've done this year etc. I have been slacking overall especially with food this winter so I am really trying to combat this for summer - not about to give up now!!

devadiva
04-03-2013, 09:21 AM
I have a Garmin Forerunner also love it,all the things you can track through the computer.
Love stuff I see running and would love to take pictures just don't want to slow down to do it!

AlmostMe
04-04-2013, 02:44 AM
OK runners... help. My foot is almost healed (I got stomped on a couple of times by some heavy girls in rugby shoes) I walked a couple of miles yesterday (recreationally - stop/start) without pain and did full rugby training including shuttle runs without pain and only a little numbness toward the end of training. I'm giving it another week before I start running again. I've been exercising pretty much every day (I'd say a rest day every 8 or 9 days) including spin.

Any tips for re-starting running after over a month off?

Kitcherella
04-05-2013, 03:33 AM
This week was brilliant. I ran on Monday and Wednesday thinking that my playlist lasts 40 min but last night I realised that it had an extra song I had intented to delete. So that means I ran 45 min without even realising it :yay:

Novus
04-05-2013, 05:25 AM
I use the Nike+ Sportband (http://nikeplus.nike.com/plus/products/sport_band/) to track time, distance, pace, etc.

My sil and I are going for a run tomorrow. The weather is finally starting to seem like spring. Hooray!

Nikel1979
04-05-2013, 10:16 AM
Well this will be interesting. I've got a 5k tomorrow & a half on Sunday, and this is the allergy forecast:

http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu354/moonfaerie/226883bc-8b84-47ca-b85f-3ee7431e381b_zps8fa15ab1.jpg

Surely I don't need to breathe to run. :lol:

Novus
04-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Well, it was supposed to be 50+ degrees today. It wasn't. :( But my sil and I went for a run anyway. It was pretty miserable. I hurt so much when I try to run in the cold and her asthma was bothering her something fierce. *#@)& Mother Nature! Oh well, someday it will be spring. Hopefully.

devadiva
04-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Got a 4 mile run in and a metabolic circuit training session in.But dog has gotten badly injured and can not use either back leg so we are taking the 6 hr drive tommarro to be at surgeons first thing Mon am to see if there is hopefully something that can be done It horrible.......

lm3898
04-08-2013, 03:40 PM
Deva how did it go with the pup>???

Nikel - how was your 5k?

devadiva
04-08-2013, 06:08 PM
We had to put him to sleep this morning we are heartbroken...he blew out his acl in his other leg he was not able to stand up at all even assisted, and the first surgrey was not even close to being strong enough to hold him and he was having trouble with his front leg also.It is SOSAD! We loved him so much!

CherryPie99
04-08-2013, 06:16 PM
OMG Gayle!!! I am SOOOOOOO sorry. My heart just breaks for you!! I have no words.

Just know that he is running pain free at the Bridge! I'm sure my boys Tucker and Riker will keep a close eye on him!!

My thoughts are with you!

((((HUGS))))

Nikel1979
04-08-2013, 06:19 PM
I skipped the 5k on Sat. I was really worried about breathing in the cornstarch (it was Color Me Rad) on top of the pollen. I'm really glad I did. The course for my half yesterday was pretty tough. Just before mile 11, I really started struggling to breath. We passed Children's Hospital about a mile later, and I stopped in front of it and debated going in and begging for a hit of oxygen. :rofl: I kept going, and I got a PR. I was 27 mins faster than my first half 6 weeks ago. :D

I got talked into doing another half at the end of the month. :dizzy:

Kitcherella
04-09-2013, 03:10 AM
I am so sorry, Deva.
Congratulations, Nikel.
I can't believe I am going to run in a race in 12 days.

lm3898
04-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Deva I'm so so sorry - I've had to do that in my lifetime too and there is NO worse feeling in the world but thankfully he is out of his pain and misery. And running free xo.

lm3898
04-12-2013, 01:32 PM
How are you holding up Deva?

Anybody running this week???

4.25 miles last night at 8:40/pace. Not bad overall - great running weather - chilly & overcast! Going to try a short run tonight & I have a SPARTAN race tomorrow!! Whoop whoop!

Kitcherella
04-12-2013, 04:27 PM
I ran my 45 minutes Mon-Wed-Fri and I am thinking I should run either tomorrow morning or Sunday. I decided to buy the Garmin watch (if I get paid soon).
Nine days till my 5K. Any tips?

Tabbycat
04-13-2013, 11:10 AM
I ran a 5K Fun Run at the school where I teach this morning. It was not chipped, and I knew when I finished in 33:11 that it was not really 5 km. I've never been under 36 minutes. I don't have the little gadget that measures distance but someone said it was 2.6 and someone else said it was 2.9. I wish I knew the actual distance so I could figure my pace. All I know for sure is that I got second place in females 50-59 years old.

AlmostMe
04-14-2013, 02:00 AM
I did my first run in about six weeks yesterday...since I went to get my foot x-rayed. I waited til I was walking without pain. Yes, I could feel the injury. But it was more 'awareness' than pain.

I dropped my son at a birthday party and since I hadn't exercised yesterday I just went for it (despite the rain).

I went quite slow. And I only meant to do about 20 minutes, but ended up doing over 30 - but that was because of a wrong turn. :)

devadiva
04-14-2013, 10:12 PM
Hiked with hubby this am a couple hours then he headed to work for awhile so decided to run . First run in since our tragedy ..started running decided after 4 miles I should turn around and head back it was really hot ...stripped down to sports bra and was so hot by about mile 5 1/2 had to start walking for a mile than ran the rest of the way slowly.....made it 8 miles but took an hour an a half. It was 80 when I got home a bit sun burned...but felt great to run!

CherryPie99
04-15-2013, 09:01 AM
Gayle!!!! Glad to see you on here and hope that you and hubby are healing! I am jealous of your run - I still had to wear gloves and a running jacket for my run yesterday!!

Kitcherella - Trust your training and run YOUR race!! You will feel the urge to take off like a shot when they say GO! DON"T DO IT or you will burn out. Keep a steady pace and then if you have a lot of energy, sprint it out at the END.

Tabbycat - Congrats on the 2nd place!!

As for me - my longest run ever yesterday - did 15 miles and felt great! Finished in 2:03:03! A little slower pace then I have been going, but that's probably why I could do 15!

Jen

lm3898
04-15-2013, 10:51 AM
Welcome back Deva! I can't believe it's 80 where you are...

Good luck on your 5k Kitch - maybe just take it easy the day before...

4.25 run on Thurs, 4.75 run on Friday and SPARTAN RACE CITI FIELD on Saturday! I AM SO HAPPY - I finished 80th/3500 women!! That might be my best finish of all time haha. The course was tough but fun - lots of stairs & obstacles.

devadiva
04-15-2013, 01:25 PM
I'm: wow that's fantastic!
Cherry: 15 I see a marathon coming on!

Got out early this morning felt good been eager to check this route out because I can run far on dirt one direction from my house and see no one ( my kind of run) today I headed out 5 miles and turned around SO I did a 10 miler today YEAH! And it appears I can go 1.6 further to make my 13.2 because before I was having to concoct all kinda stuff to get it in.

AlmostMe
04-16-2013, 03:12 PM
I hope no one was affected by the horrible happenings in Boston yesterday. Just awful. We have the London marathon coming up this weekend. I kinda wish I could go and watch (I have friends spectating/watching), but as I'm a coach at the weekend and missed last week for a match - it doesn't feel right.

However, yesterday's events did make me go and sign up for my first ever 10K OFFICIALLY.

chickadee32
04-16-2013, 11:24 PM
Just getting back to exercise following my pregnancy, and today I went to the gym for just the second time since July. Ran a very, VERY slow 1.6 miles on the treadmill and was totally beat, which seems so pathetic compared to what I was doing last spring... but the only way to get back into it is to start where I'm at and put in the work and time. So I'm deciding to be proud of the 1.6 miles I ran today. Next time 2 miles maybe? :)

CherryPie99
04-17-2013, 09:01 AM
No marathon for me!! I can imagine having 11 more to run after I finished my 15!!!

Chickadee - you will bounce back fast, I'm positive!!

I ran 6.15 yesterday and dedicated it to the people of Boston.

Jen

devadiva
04-17-2013, 09:57 PM
I only did 3 1/2 today and an hour of mcircuit training....my legs are tired.i had exercise HIIT class and stretch last night...so the last 4 days 22 miles and 5 hrs of other exercise.Haircut tommarro so will only do abs and short weight work out.

lm3898
04-18-2013, 08:57 AM
Cherry I feel the same way, and I'm supposed to run NYC this year...no idea how I'm going to do that! Though after Boston I have to say I'm freaking out for other reasons now too...

Ran last night - it was about 70 and sunny and I wish I'd brought water as I did the "big hill" run and had to walk 2 or 3 times which I usually don't but I've been doing low mileage since my last half [4-5 miles] and this was 6 and hilly and I just wasn't quite as prepared as I would have been a month ago. Oh well...better luck tonight!

devadiva
04-19-2013, 09:51 PM
Ran 6.2 today getting ready for a camping trip will be doing some hiking but no running...I see a puppy in our future.

CherryPie99
04-20-2013, 08:43 AM
Yay puppy fever!!!! Can't wait to see him or her!!!

Did 35 miles this week - most miles in a week for me.

And, it's official - I've signed up for my first 1/2 = 3 weeks from today!! :cool:

devadiva
04-20-2013, 01:11 PM
Just got back from a 10.1.... 6 min faster than Mondays! That makes 38 this week for me in 5 days. Most likely a short run tommarro we are leaving fairly early off to see some "girls" and on to our camping trip.Maybe pick a her up next weekend!!!

Cherry :glad to hear you signed up for one!!! We don't have many even close to here on dirt and I don't run on pavement {far}Today was the one I was doing before the boys injury ect. and just had no training for it...but guess seeing what I have done this week guess I would have been ok

NOW STRETCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kitcherella
04-20-2013, 02:53 PM
Tabbycat - Congrats
Cherry:35 miles this week wow!
Deva - 38! wow again!
lm3898 - SPARTAN RACE sounds so interesting.

Thank you for the tips, I have collected my bag and I am ready to run and enjoy the day tomorrow. We are all running with a black sticker that says why? for Boston. By the way, the race is 'Alexander the Great' in Thessaloniki,northern Greece. Talk about global community.
Have a great weekend.

Tabbycat
04-20-2013, 04:52 PM
Tabbycat here.

I ran the Yuri's Night 5K this morning to benefit the Challenger Center (this is Johnson Space Center NASA country). There were 600+ runners, and some of them had bibs on their backs that read: BOSTON 4-15-13 Runners United to Remember.

My goals were:
1. run (well, trot) the whole way without walking
2. finish under 38 minutes
3. be in the top half of my age group

I came in 13th out of at least 28 in the 50-59 female group with a time of 36:25.7 which is my personal best. A year ago I couldn't even jog one mile, so I'm happy.

forkeeps
04-20-2013, 06:20 PM
Hey folks! Do you mind a newbie joining you?

I started running a little over a year ago. I participated in about 9 or 10 5K events in the past year. Mostly just to keep motivated while trying to get in shape, but also because I learned how fun they are. :) I ran straight through non stop for about half of them, and these days I've been running 3.1 miles once weekly with no problems.

I never had any reason to run any further and have been enjoying just the 5K distance. But after this horrible week, I decided to push myself in honor of the Boston Marathon. While I don't feel like I can be ready for a marathon in a year, especially since I still have a lot of weight to lose, I think I can do a half. So I am signing up for a race series in my area that culminates with a half marathon in February of next year.

And for the first time ever, I set my phone app for a distance longer than 3.1 miles today. I went 4 miles non stop, which is huge for me. I have a long way to go and a lot to learn but I am excited. I can do this. :)

I may check in occasionally to ask questions, but mostly I plan on lurking for awhile to learn all I can from seasoned runners. I am a true beginner, but I hope to reach my running goal by this time next year. :)

lm3898
04-24-2013, 09:41 AM
Welcome forkeeps!! Congrats on upping your mileage!! I remember the first time I made it past 3 miles I was SOOOOO excited - now I love love half marathons.

5.5 miles last night - it was breezy AND overcast which was delightful for my evening run lol. Avg pace of 8:56/mile - my foot hurt [as usual] but I think it hurts less with firmer soles so I'm going shopping for some asics this week!

In talk with NYRR charity groups & I think I'm going to run NYC Marathon this year for Boston~!!

CherryPie99
04-24-2013, 10:45 AM
Did 7 miles on my lunch hour yesterday and cut 10 second per MM off my time!! I am hoping to finish my 1/2 marathon in under 1:50 and based on my times I think it is doable, although it looks like a hilly and difficult course.

Speaking of my half - ADVICE NEEDED! Those of you that have done a 1/2 - giv me some advice - any advice - about preparing and then the actual day. What do you know now that you wish you had known then?

Jen

Kitcherella
04-24-2013, 03:51 PM
Hi all :wave:

I am beyond happy as I crashed all my goals for the 5k.
Goal 1 - Finish
Goal 2 - Do not finish last
Goal 3 - Do not finish last in my age group
Goal 4 - Do about 45 minutes
Goal 5 - Do about 40 minutes

I finished in 36.06 and I enjoyed every minute and every kilometre of it.
And I made a promise to run the 10K next year.
I also felt incredibly great on my next run, I ran 50 minutes and I decided that I seriously need to buy a watch to know my distance.

Congrats to all for achieving goals and miles set.

Sum38
04-24-2013, 04:00 PM
This thread caught my eye, and gave me a giggle...because it is SNOWING in Michigan. April 24th and it is sticking to my deck :crazy:

Good luck to all of your runners, don't let the snow slow you down. I am a walker, and pledged to walk 1000 miles this year (again). I wish I could run, but I shattered my ankle 4+ years ago and it had to be completely rebuild. I was a runner up to 5 years ago and 121 pounds :yikes:

devadiva
04-25-2013, 08:22 AM
Home from my vacation did some hiking and some pretty stiff climbs surprised I was pretty sore! And came home home with a baby Australian Shepard name Hanaupah a girl 8 weeks old. she will be a great runner down the road when she matures hope her old mama can keep up with her!

Ran 6.2 this morning back to my Nov. speed,until last week was not able to do as much running since Jan.http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/af293/devadiva/th_429a1a145387ce2495f3650a3f637e6c.jpg (http://s1017.photobucket.com/albums/af293/devadiva/?action=view&current=429a1a145387ce2495f3650a3f637e6c.jpg)

lm3898
04-26-2013, 11:48 AM
Cherry - I found that I really enjoy bringing my own water and gu [I stuff the Gu in my sports bra] mostly b/c you never know how the course will be - I hate getting backed up at the water stations & half the courses don't end up having the energy gu I like [for best results I take it b/w miles 7 and 8]. I also make sure to have a tissue with me but that's just my half prep! Half bagel & a banana 1.5 hours prior too! Good luck!!!

Congrats on Hanaupah Deva!!! That's wonderful news!! Welcome to our newest/youngest member lol..

Welcome Sum!

Congrats Kitch - you must feel great having accomplished all that -way to go!!

Ran the Manhattan 59th Street bridge on Wednesday - I love that route!!

devadiva
04-28-2013, 01:50 PM
Sat ran 3.2 and today Sun I ran 6.2 it is super hot or at least feels it .It was 80 when I got back at 10 and no shade!

CherryPie99
04-28-2013, 04:42 PM
Cherry - I found that I really enjoy bringing my own water and gu [I stuff the Gu in my sports bra] mostly b/c you never know how the course will be - I hate getting backed up at the water stations & half the courses don't end up having the energy gu I like [for best results I take it b/w miles 7 and 8]. I also make sure to have a tissue with me but that's just my half prep! Half bagel & a banana 1.5 hours prior too! Good luck!!!

Thanks lm - I don't eat before my runs and this was starts really early, so I definitely will not eat.

Gayle, you pup is ADORABLE!!!

Ran 14 this morning in 1 hour and 51 minutes. I am hoping for a good time on the half, but I drove the course this weekend and it looks really difficult, especially mile 10 that is a fairly steep uphill for 3/4 of a mile! So I am nervous!

Jen

devadiva
04-28-2013, 09:23 PM
You rock Jen!!! You will do fine just pace on that mile and stay steady you will be surprised at how great you will do on the hills.

lm3898
04-29-2013, 09:17 AM
Cherry - when is your half? You are going to kill it!!!

Ran 6.5 miles on Sat and 5.5 on Sunday - added hills to both runs. I don't usually run back to back, I like to lift or bike in between but I had limited time with the crazy weekend. It felt great both days though!

CherryPie99
04-29-2013, 09:30 AM
It is on May 11th. I'm actually excited but really nervous...

Kitcherella
04-30-2013, 04:23 AM
Hello all!

All is well here, I just came back from a hot 53 min run. I am very excited as we have a holiday coming up and we'll go to the beach. There is nothing better than running by the sea and then swimming :swim:

Deva - the puppy is super cute! I also love the quote on your signature.
Cherry - a marathoner friend tells me "if you 'have' the miles in your legs, you'll be fine". You will rock it.
lm3898 - thanks! Manhattan? That sounds like a dream to me.

“Running! If there's any activity happier, more exhilarating, more nourishing to the imagination, I can't think of what it might be. In running the mind flees with the body, the mysterious efflorescence of language seems to pulse in the brain, in rhythm with our feet and the swinging of our arms.”
― Joyce Carol Oates