Ideal Protein Diet - Miss fruit and dairy..

View Full Version : Miss fruit and dairy..

cdnmomof2
04-01-2013, 02:44 AM
Shockingly I do not miss carbs and candies.. Go figure. But I miss having bananas and strawberries and frozen berries in a smoothie. I miss my Greek yogurt and my glass of milk.

I know it's not forever but I am really missing the option to have them.

Anyone else?

Happymomof2
04-01-2013, 06:58 AM
Yes! I crave banana with peanut butter and a glass of ice cold milk! Soon enough, just not now.....

lisa32989
04-01-2013, 07:06 AM
Time to focus on what we CAN have! There will always be things we are missing (if we are to maintain well).

IP has banana pudding that I make into muffins, strawberry pudding that is pretty good frozen into "ice cream", and wild berry yogurt.

Focus on the benefits!

Happymomof2
04-01-2013, 08:25 AM
Can you share the banana pudding/muffin recipe? Sounds yummy!

ragdoll74
04-01-2013, 08:33 AM
It gets easier the longer you are on IP. I bet you don't miss the 11 lbs you lost so far.;)

scorbett1103
04-01-2013, 09:09 AM
I hear you - it's tough even in maintenance because bananas are too high in carbs for me to have them - once in a great while I may have half a banana but that's about it.

What I DON'T miss is all of my larger sized clothes - so if that means I have to save bananas for my "Fun" day in maintenance I will just enjoy them as something special, while I wear my size 8's all week ;)

fitandfabfrog
04-01-2013, 09:44 AM
I miss fruit too, but like everyone else. I don't miss the 9 pounds I've released and know that I can eat fruit again some day.

I drink the 'fruit' drinks and know that is what is helping me be healthy and my body to figure things out! YOU CAN DO IT!

lisa32989
04-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Can you share the banana pudding/muffin recipe? Sounds yummy!
I'm pretty sure its in the recipe thread. I'll put it there again, just be be sure

disgal
04-01-2013, 10:37 AM
It gets easier the longer you are on IP. I bet you don't miss the 11 lbs you lost so far.;)

LOVE THIS!!!!:carrot:

What I DON'T miss is all of my larger sized clothes - so if that means I have to save bananas for my "Fun" day in maintenance I will just enjoy them as something special, while I wear my size 8's all week ;)

AND THIS!!!!:carrot:

;)

aliboo723
04-01-2013, 11:45 AM
I am a complete cinnamon roll junkie! I have missed that flavor SO MUCH! When I found out that Quest made a Cinnamon roll bar I HAD to try it! Now I have one of those and don't feel left out a bit. True, the texture is not the same, but warmed up, the flavor is awesome!
My advice is to find something to fill the void that is OP. I haven't tried it (because I can't find rubarb) but lots of people use rubarb to fill a fruit craving as well as jicama. Search the threads for recipes.
You have a plethora of great suggestions from pros on this forum (myself excluded - nowhere near pro yet:dizzy:).

Suchawittygal
04-01-2013, 11:55 AM
I am a complete cinnamon roll junkie! I have missed that flavor SO MUCH! When I found out that Quest made a Cinnamon roll bar I HAD to try it! Now I have one of those and don't feel left out a bit. True, the texture is not the same, but warmed up, the flavor is awesome!
My advice is to find something to fill the void that is OP. I haven't tried it (because I can't find rubarb) but lots of people use rubarb to fill a fruit craving as well as jicama. Search the threads for recipes.
You have a plethora of great suggestions from pros on this forum (myself excluded - nowhere near pro yet:dizzy:).

I totally agree with the replacement of your craving with something that comes "close" that is OP to fill the void. Those quest bars are great. Also, my saving grace with the sweet things is my HealthSmart Carmel Crunch bar. I look forward to that dang thing every day! Making a smoothie with the fruit drinks is a great idea also! I feel your pain, I really do, but when i went shopping this week and bought size 8 pants instead of 18's, that was PRICELESS and I didn't miss anything at that point :D

crazynette826
04-01-2013, 01:02 PM
The strawberry banana RTD is amazing for a fruit fix. It's my favorite!! I loved bananas before, and was missing them until this drink came out.

GetYa1
04-01-2013, 01:06 PM
I totally agree with the replacement of your craving with something that comes "close" that is OP to fill the void. Those quest bars are great. Also, my saving grace with the sweet things is my HealthSmart Carmel Crunch bar. I look forward to that dang thing every day! Making a smoothie with the fruit drinks is a great idea also! I feel your pain, I really do, but when i went shopping this week and bought size 8 pants instead of 18's, that was PRICELESS and I didn't miss anything at that point :D

The bold line above is what I am SO ready for...
Congrats, Suchawittygal. :)

newday2013
04-01-2013, 01:47 PM
The bold line above is what I am SO ready for...
Congrats, Suchawittygal. :)

I just gotta pipe in and say, you guys are so darn supportive! Thanks for all that, and girl, you are not alone, I dreamt of biting into an apple, lol!!!
I am though, learning to tell the difference between a "craving" and just hunger. Sometimes if I'm "craving" something, I look at the clock and realize it's been 3hrs since I ate. So, really, I'm not craving, but legit hungry. I go make my OP food and voila! Cravings all better! But if something sticks (like chocolate before TOM) I substitute and so far, have not felt "stuck". And yeah, not missing the 12lbs at all, lol!!

tam67green
04-01-2013, 03:36 PM
Shockingly I do not miss carbs and candies.. Go figure. But I miss having bananas and strawberries and frozen berries in a smoothie. I miss my Greek yogurt and my glass of milk.

I know it's not forever but I am really missing the option to have them.

Anyone else?

It's hard not to focus on those foods we don't eat anymore. I am with you, I miss cheese more than I thought I would, much more than chocolate, etc.
As somebody already mentioned, those Strawberry Banana drinks are really good, you might want to try those. There is also a mango drink made by IP, maybe that will help with your fruit cravings.

My new absolute favorite thing, thanks to Debrasb, is a Frosty-like drink made with the dark chocolate pudding. Here's her recipe:

Frosty- esque Milkshake with Dark Chocolate Pudding Packet
1 cup water
Dash of stevia to taste
Dash of salt
Flavor add ins (try a variety): Walden Farms Chocolate Syrup, Walden Farms Marshmallow Fluff, Almond Extract, Vanilla Extract, Cinnamon, Peppermint Extract, Chili Pepper or Cayanne (goes good with the almond and/or cinnamon.
1 Ideal Protein Dark Chocolate Pudding Packet
10 ice cubes (adjust amount for taste and consistency)

Put the water, stevia, salt and flavor add ins into a blender pitcher. Add in the pudding packet. Blend on low to combine all ingredients well. Scrape down any powder from the sides to be sure everything is well incorporated.

Add in the ice. Start blender on low (I use level 3 on my Vitamix) to break up the cubes, and work up to high (level 8 or so). Blend until all of the ice is incorporated and the mixture is very creamy. It will have expanded by more than double, and the color will change from dark brown (color of the pudding) to a very light creamy brown.

So far I've made it with almond extract, sugar free caramel syrup and WF chcolate syrup--all were great! So good, so creamy, it's almost like eating dairy again. And VERY filling! Debrasb, hope it's OK that I posted this recipe here! :)

maezy1
04-01-2013, 03:38 PM
I, too , miss several things and even crave certain foods. I had an AHA moment and decided to write down everything I miss when it sticks in my mind. Those are the things that I need to be careful of once I am off of IP and in maintenance. The funny thing is one of the foods I ate way too much of, peanut butter, I haven't craved at all. Maybe it is the peanut butter crunch bar. Anyway, try it and u will be surprised. Read some new research that says all those fruits are not as healthy as everyone once believed. Too many carbs and sugars, go figure

learn2012
04-01-2013, 08:17 PM
I don't miss any food as much as I LOVE being 82 pounds lighter. Focus on the positive. I've eaten as much as I wanted of my favorite foods for almost 40 years & it only got me fat, unhealthy & miserable. What I have gotten from Ideal Protein far exceeds what any food ever gave me- I feel strong, my confidence is growing, & I am proud of myself.

cdnmomof2
04-01-2013, 09:01 PM

13 now :D

cdnmomof2
04-01-2013, 09:05 PM
Thanks everyone for the support and suggestions (this place really is a great place!!) I have some recipes lined up this week to try out (mango drinks and an orange cremesicle drink etc :) ) I will let you know how those go!

Tonight I made maple oatmeal zucchini muffins for my snack. My house smells amazing can't wait to dig into those!

Msbehaving
04-01-2013, 11:01 PM
Yup. Miss fruit here too especially a bunch of berries over cereal with ice cold vanilla almond milk. ;) The strawberry-banana RTD is very good. Also making something with the banana or lemon puddings, adding lemon or lime juice to items, making smoothies with the fruit flavored - these are all ways to get some fruit "flavor" in.

Wore a dress today that I "shopped" from some packed away clothes. Had never worn it before - bought it on the idea many years ago that with just a few pounds less....anyway, didn't miss much of anything feeling so good in that dress today!

cmk79
04-02-2013, 04:16 PM
Yeah, it sucks, because this diet is so restrictive, and I miss all the food I used to eat!But I just keep telling myself that this isn't for forever, just for now, and that one day I can eat those things again.Plus, I once read this great quote on here, "nothing tastes as good as how skinny feels".I say that to myself to keep me motivated and to keep from cheating.