astrophe
03-31-2013, 09:50 PM
Round up for April! :carrot:

Who is here this month?
How are you?
How was last month?
How is your PCOS management last month?
What are you going to work on in april?

(The old thread is here. (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos-insulin-resistance-support/277976-2013-march-pcos-support-thread.html) )

A.

Rana
04-01-2013, 10:58 AM
Who is here this month?

I am. Although, I'm doing a lot of lurking.

How are you?

Blah. I'm not happy where I am with my weight loss (or rather, weight gain) and I am having a hard time focusing on this.

I know I have a lot on my plate, but it's usually not a problem. It's become a problem now because it's all a mess.

How was last month?

Again, 'eh' in terms of weight loss. But otherwise, it was fine!

Good. I'm still taking supplements and doing exercise and eating well. But I'm still gaining weight because I'm eating too much and I'm disorganized.

What are you going to work on in April?

I don't know. I begin my period of a lot of travel and notoriously, I gain weight at this time of year until my travel dies down and I go back to eating well.

Since I've already gained weight, I don't know that I can afford to gain more. My clothes won't fit!

I am scared and frustrated and annoyed.

nelie
04-01-2013, 11:30 AM
I figure I should jump back in :)
Who is here this month?
Me! It has been quite a while since I've checked in here, I figure I should.

How are you?
Good, I've figured I've let other things pull me down for way too long. I actually feel like I'm getting back on track and I'm excited for warmer months, more exercise and desires to eat lighter foods.

How was last month?
End of last month was great, start of last month not so great.

Good. I'm on about month 5 of a new BC pill and although it has driven my periods wacky, I think I like it. First couple months on it though sucked.

What are you going to work on in March?
Continue eating well, increasing exercise, getting outside more often and taking care of me.

veggiedawg
04-01-2013, 02:24 PM
•Who is here this month?

I'm here!

•How are you?

Okie dokey...a bit tired and a bit hungry...started a new diet meal plan (day 4).

•How was last month?

Restrictive. No sugary drinks. Smaller food portions.
But, I've been motivated.

Started C25K. I'm on week 2 now.

•How is your PCOS management last month?

Scale actually moved a wee bit this past week. I can't believe how long it took!
Facial hair still an issue...

•What are you going to work on in March?

Following the Lose It! section of the Mayo Clinic Diabetes Diet.
Also, I am doing the Beck Diet Solution Workbook for motivation.

C25K---so, walk/jog 3 days a week.

astrophe
04-02-2013, 01:08 AM
Crimson -- sounds like you have an April plan! :)

Rana -- I see that you are frustrated and scared. Hang in there. BREATHE. One thing at a time, right? :hug:

Nelie -- long time no see! Welcome back! :)

Vegiedawg -- how are you liking the couch to 5k?

MY CHECKIN IN:

Mind -- great. New books to read, new challenges to tackle.

Heart -- in love. What can I say? :D

Soul -- very peaceful. Still dealing with eldercare wackies but I feel like I'm more at peace within so taking the next thing that comes along is somehow easier to take.

Body -- BLOATED. Ugh. Mid cycle gaggy maybe too. Not sure. Allergy ****. Made a walk at the park not happen. All this pollen it out to kill me. I have to focus on INDOOR exercise tomorrow because outside is just not a good place to be. I promise to report an indoor workout to you guys and myself, ok?

Food log was good though. I had a birthday thing today and took friend to lunch. So that kinda made a bump in my food plan but I added up and I'm still at -230 calories for the day so go me! Adapting and adjusting to that and not letting it go into crazy town.

Baby steps....

A.

SaraJP0804
04-02-2013, 04:04 PM
Who is here this month?

I am. I am new to the site so having a good time looking around at everything!

How are you?

I am doing well! Excited to finally be back to losing the weight.

How was last month?

Not such a great month for me. Gained back some of the 10 pounds that I took off!

Not so great. I need to remember to be taking my meds and to be eating the right foods.

Making sure that I track what I am eating, actually eat what I have planned, exercise.

Rana
04-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Hi Ladies!

I think I've come to a realization (as my weight crept up/creeping up and haven't lost it) that whatever was working for me before, is no longer working.

Now, this "working for me" could be mental. I could just be tired of the restriction. It would also be physical, because who the **** knows what's going on with PCOS/IR and the body.

Thus, the realization is really that IF what I used to do no longer works, then I have to find something else that does. I don't know what that is.

But I guess that's what I have to work on for April.

SuperCecilia
04-03-2013, 03:41 PM
Hello all -

My check-in:

Body - feeling hopeful that I am 209. I had been between 204-208 for several years, and jumped to 218 in Dec/Jan (maybe because I was put on a new birth control pill - to try to treat menstrual migraines, or maybe just because of holiday eating and out-of-routine). So happy to be back to "almost" normal. Have switched over to much lower carb diet - not like ketosis or anything - but emphasizing protein over carbs, so eating lots of things like Greek yogurt, beans, lentils, nuts, seeds, fish, etc and it's been good not just for weight loss but has really diminished my appetite.

MIND: Dietary change described above has kept my energy more steady as well as mood. (I can be a bit moody and anxious and work actively through prayer, journaling, meditation, supportive friends to stay in a positive space) Very encouraged about this.

HEART: I echo astrophe - in love. :) A great way to be.

I saw a gynocologist last week (first time seeing this one) who put me a new, lower-estrogen BCP to try to prevent menstrual migraines. I am very happy that so far haven't had any migraines, or any other side effects from the switch. It feels good to be taking positive steps towards proactively creating good health - both with weight, eating/exercise, and migraine prevention.

Goals for this month - I am hesitant to make a weight loss goal since it sometimes seems my efforts and the outcome aren't terribly related: I can do everything "right" and not lose, and sometimes make some dietary slip-ups and not have the scale show it. That said, I am going to visit family in Midwest in mid-May and would love to be closer to onederland than I am now for that visit. I am going to continue with my lower carb diet and shoot for 4 exercise sessions a week - I've already gotten in two this week, so am on track so far.

Thanks for letting me join you all!

exhaustedmom
04-03-2013, 04:31 PM
Hello Ladies I am new to the forum and hoping to find support and educate myself on PCOS. I just recently found out I have this and I'm freaked out. I have been trying to lose weight forever. I just thought it was suborn baby fat but now I know its not.

I am interested in finding out what kind of vitamins everyone takes, a good diet and exercise plan. My doctor told me to jump online and educate myself on PCOS.

Like my username on here exhausted mom and that's what I am. I have no energy and fall asleep on my feet. That is why I am begging for help to know what is going to help me jump start my days and my exercising.

I hoping by the time summer comes I have lost a few points but see improvement in my energy and my period.

veggiedawg
04-03-2013, 06:51 PM
I am interested in finding out what kind of vitamins everyone takes, a good diet and exercise plan. My doctor told me to jump online and educate myself on PCOS.

Hi ExhaustedMom! (geez, I'm an exhausted Mom too, just starting my weighloss journey)

I just started taking D3, about 2000 U.I./day.

Low carb seems to be the most popular diet for PCOS.
I'm just starting to see some weight loss from dropping to 3 servings of whole grains per day. A serving is half a bagel, half a small pita or 1/3 of a cup of brown rice. It's been tough...not so much the hunger, but my brain fog and irritablility come afternoon. Hopefully, I'll feel more 'even' soon!

For exercise, a lot of us on the boards are doing the C25K. It's a jogging program that starts small and gets you jogging for 30minutes by the end.

Another good PCOS site is Soulcysters .com

Good luck & Welcome!

Alicia546
04-07-2013, 01:55 AM
1. I definitely am! This is my first time posting in this thread, especially since I got a diagnosis for Anovulation and high Testosterone levels, but that's basically what I got from the tests from a Reproductive Endocrinologist a few years ago.
2. I haven't felt the best. I am trying to lose weight, but it's hard to do that and keep my emotional health in check at the same time.
3. Still an abnormal cycle. Definitely some mood problems as well.
4. I haven't really started besides exercising which started last week. It's pretty much been on and off.
5. I am going to work on eating less Carbohydrates and seeing how that affects my moods and cycles, especially since I am tapering off my antidepressant as well.

Meeel4121
04-07-2013, 02:25 AM
I am!

I'm another first time poster in this thread. I was diagnosed with IR and PCOS 3 years ago (when I was 19) and that year managed to lose 15kg. Then a plateaued.

Last September I had horrible cyst-like acne on my neck. My GP put me on Yasmin and oh man, was that a mistake! After giving it 3 months, I stopped taking ir. Not only did I gain a devastating 7kg, but I was constantly nauseous (the type where a full stomach is the only source of relief), bouts of depression and anxiety.

Four months on form stopping Yasmin, and I am still dealing with depression and anxiety (it spikes when I get a period, which has only just started to return). I can't shift any weight regardless of the fact I am working out 4-6 times a week and counting calories (most of the time).

I had a particularly difficult week this week, so I went back to my GP to do some blood work. Turns out that since my blood test three years ago, I have actually brought my hormone levels back into the healthy range. Since I have no cysts on my ovaries, she said that my PCOS diagnosis may still not stand (I didn't think this was possible...?).

But of course, I am still IR (have a STRONG family history of it. Everyone on my mum's side is fit and healthy but all have type II diagnosis by the age of 55).

In order to kick start my weight loss (hoping to lose between 10-15kg) I am focusing on upping my protein and lowering my carbs and sugar. So far it has proven difficult as I am mind numbingly hungry (physical and mind hunger) and have a funny stomach.

How do you guys deal with weight loss? I can see that many on this thread do low carb. Can I ask a dumb question? What do you mean by low carb? No bread/pasta/rice etc, or do you limit your intake?

I am really struggling to lose weight. Previously I started exercising (went from nothing to C25K and have never stopped) and went low calorie. Now, I just can't seem to stick with limiting my intake. I do well for one day and then the next day it's all gone.

If I compare my measurements from the last time I was at this weight, I've actually only gained a few cm's (my hips and thighs are actually smaller by more than a cm, but feel huge!) but am still 7kg heavier.

Thanks for the ear, and good luck to you all!

astrophe
04-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Hope you guys had a great weekend! Let me catch up and then check in myself...

SaraJP0804: Welcome! I use pillbox Alert on my cel phone to bug me to take meds. Could that help?

Rana: Could you be burnt out on "chronic patient-ness?" I get tired of having to be so vigilant sometimes. Then I lapse tracking things and well... it leads to nowhere.
It stinks. I don't know what to tell you other than I've worn those shoes, and I can see where it is frustrating for you. Hang in there!

SuperCecilia: Sounds like you are in a good space! Awesome!

exhaustedmom: Welcome!

I take a rainbow light prenatal for the extra iron. (not because I am TTC)
I also take a GNC cal-mag-d3
I take Barleans Essential Woman (flax) and alternate with Barleans Ultra EPA-DHEA Fish oil.

I take Levoxul for my hypothyroid.

NOT taking Metformin XR right now because I was before and it gave me blood sugar wiggies. I am trying to change to a different endoc. I know Met can lower testosterone and help IR, but if my blood sugar is fine via diet, it puts me too low and it might be time to look at spirolactone instead.

Veggiedawg: How goes? :)

Alicia546: Welcome!

Meeel4121: 40% carb 30% protein 30% fat is low enough carb proportions to me. Lower and I get headaches. 1800 calories with no exercise, 2000 with exercise is my calorie level right now. Lower and I get headaches. I want to lose in a good healing pace way. Not in a way that makes me nuts.
Right now I went to BistroMD 5 days no snacks every other week and cook the rest of the time. Then I know I have food back up handy in a pinch that will be on track. I never know if my phone will ring with some eldercare prob and then the first thing to fly out the window is my own food needs.

MY CHECK IN:

More active this week but not always remembering my pedometer. Anyone got good apps for tracking fitness?

I am excited about today's workout -- going to try a bellydance class! Always wanted to so here I go! :carrot:

The rest of things are going ok. I note that my sodium is crazy in my food log so I have to get that cranked down.

A.

veggiedawg
04-08-2013, 02:54 PM
Hey Astrophe,
Bellydancing sounds fun. Do you get dressed up for it?
Is it an one time thing or will you be going weekly?

I don't use a pedometer, but I recently read the book 'The Wildwater Walking Club" which made be want to try one.

Meeel421 and Alicia546- Hi Ya!! When I stopped using sugar in my tea and coffee and started only drinking milk and water, I really noticed that my cravings slowed down. A month later, I've started this diet that only gives me 3 servings of whole grain carbs per day and I'm doing ok. I wasn't sure I'd be able to handle it, in the past I've had issues with being shakey if I didn't eat...now I just get b*&chy! :)

As for me...I wasn't good to myself by jogging on pavement and now I have a sore knee. Waaah! I took yesterday off and went out this morning.
I really don't feel hurt when jogging but after, I sure do. Lesson learned.

I've been doing well sticking to my diet. I hope it shows on the scale this week!

Have a great day ladies!

astrophe
04-08-2013, 04:01 PM
I called the teacher and she said to wear something like "tank top, yoga pants, we do it barefoot, bring water bottle, it gets hot and scarf to tie around hips optional but not crucial."

To help make you aware of what your hips are doing I guess? This is my first class ever so I am clueless.
Dressing up would be more for recitals and peformances though. Even from my sister's ballet growing up I know that much. Dress to practice normal, fancy dress for performances.

I'm excited! (But secretly nervous too.)

A. :dizzy:

Meeel4121
04-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Astrophe - Bellydancing is a lot of fun! I've done in on a few occasions just for fun. Everyone in the class wore the coin belt scarfs and the sound they make when you're dancing really adds to the fun of it. Hope you enjoy it!

This week I am focusing on upping my protein and lowering my carbs. I am also making sure that I am conscious of my portion sizes.

Hope everyone has a good week!

veggiedawg
04-09-2013, 03:11 PM
Soooooooo Astrophe? How was the bellydancing???? Was it a good workout?
Will you do it again?

Meel4121--how much protein are you trying to get daily? Favorite sources?
I've been eating a lot of tuna lately. The little single serving/flavored ones. Not super exciting but the serving size is perfect. I wish they had the same size cans of salmon...

astrophe
04-11-2013, 07:34 PM
Quick check in -- Had to reschedule for the next class in the day rather than the evening. Registration full. So will try again!

In the meanwhile, doing well in other respects so go me! :)

A.

knelson095
04-13-2013, 04:02 AM
Hello, I'm new here...seeing some of you ladies' success stories is making me hopeful. I don't even know you and I am proud and happy for you!
I was diagnosed with PCOS at 19, now 22. Tried birth control, it was okay...I was on sprintec and it gave me periodic anxiety attacks. I think it also made me gain weight (about 20 lbs.) and when I came off it my acne just exploded. I seem to have that under control now, but after losing 15 lbs. I seem to have plateaued. My blood sugar was fine at my last checkup (woefully about 3 years ago--It cost me a fortune and I just can't afford it) but my periods are all messed up. Up to 9 months without and then BOOM, and it lasts up to a month. My testosterone was also a little high (60) so I do get a few whiskers on my jawline and chin. Very little acne now though.
I have recently started counting calories and I try to be more active, but I am naturally pretty lazy. Most of my exercise comes from work (softlines merchandiser, and they run my butt off...not literally unfortunately) but its not enough. I also do the Wii fit, but again, not enough. I've been feeling a little down lately, but also hopeful. I want to be the healthy person I picture myself as, not the person I currently look like in pictures. I've been fat my whole life and I'm just tired of it. I'm getting married in a year and I would like to be down to about 165. Any helpful hints or ideas on staying motivated?

veggiedawg
04-13-2013, 03:52 PM
Hi Knelson095!
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!!!

Motivation can be brutal! Definitely, checking on these boards and posting daily is good. I also started this Beck Diet Solution workbook, which teaches you how to diet. If you start a specific diet plan, find a buddy or group that are also on it for support...

Good luck & so glad to have you join us!!!!

SuperCecilia
04-13-2013, 04:26 PM
Hi Knelson - welcome! We are glad to have you. In terms of checking your blood sugar, if you can't get in for a check-up, I would recommend looking for the a1c test you can do at home - they sell them at wal-mart for about $8. A1C is good because it gives you a sense of what your overall blood sugar has been over a three month period, so much more a bigger picture than just checking your blood glucose level. My gynocologist recommended I check a1c and I did research online and found out about at home test. You have to prick your finger (that's the hardest part!) put two drops on a sheet, mail it in and withing 5-6 days they can email you the results. Just something that might be helpful. Also, maybe help in motivation - trying to lower your A1C level (if it is high) is another goal beyond the scale.

Astrophe - sorry you didn't get in on the belly dancing - next time!

VeggieDawg - hi! How's it going?

Meeel - how is your higher protein , lower carb approach going? I am doing something very similar. What are some of your go-to breakfasts and snacks? I've been eating lots of greek yogurt, beans, lentils, seeds, and nuts.

I'm happy to report I am down to 207 - only 8 lbs until my first goal of onederland! That's 11 lbs lost in 8 weeks - pretty darn good for the challenges of IR, PCOS and low thyroid. I just posted a longer post in the mini goal section about what I have been doing that is working for me. The more I am focused on being intentional about my food and exercise, the more and I lose, and the more motivated I get. It is a very positive cycle and I hope I can maintain this momentum.

It's a beautiful day - I'm going out for a run!

Meeel4121
04-13-2013, 08:03 PM
veggiedawg - where do you live? Here in Australia, we have salmon available in tins similar to tuna. I'm too much of a fan of the fresh stuff though to ever try it though ;-)

I don't have a specific aim at the moment (for how much protein). I've hit 100 a few times this week.
At the moment I've been having an omelette every morning (either egg whites or whole eggs, baby spinach levels and a tin of tuna). Lunch I've been getting a baby spinach salad with feta and pumpkin (yum!), and then dinner is whatever is being prepared (I live at home with my family). I have a massive sweet tooth, so after dinner I've been having a protein shake (chocolate flavoured) with a teaspoon of psyllium husk (for fibre) with milk. YUM! and full of protein.

I'm trying to change my eating habits. So I've been focusing on building every meal around a protein source. I've only done it for a week now, but my way of thinking has changed. I'm not longer focusing on what I'm missing out on. Instead, it's like a puzzle, working out what protein I want and then what goes well with it.

Of course, tonight is my first real challenge (eating wise) this week - my friend's 21st birthday party. Red velvet cake, home made Italian cooking. I'm equal parts excited and terrified, LOL!

Hope that ramble gave you some food for thought (pun intended, lol).

Knelson095 - welcome! my story is VERY similar to yours. I was diagnosed at 19 and am now going through a rough patch with it at 21 (22 in June :-) )
I found that consistent exercise really helped me. I've never been diagnosed but anxiety runs through my family in addition to insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes. Learning to run and actually getting to the point where I got the endorphin kick, was like coming up to breathe for the first time in a long time.
Unfortunately, after I went on Yasmin all of that went out the door and I've had serious anxiety and bouts of depression since.
So, regular exercise is a good starting point. Even just a 30min walk every second day will make a difference :-)

NorIdaGrrl
04-14-2013, 09:03 AM
Who is here this month?
1. Just joined this site! And happy to see a support group for PCOS!

How are you?
2. I started off the month pretty good, but a close friend is in the hospital and not expected to make it, so its been hard...

How was last month?
3. Well 3 months ago or so I was put on a dairy free/gluten free diet to see if it would help the tummy troubles I've been having (partly due to having my gallbladder out a few years ago) and in the first month I lost a total of 10 lbs! But in the ensuing months I am back to the scale not budging.

4.I was diagnosed with PCOS years ago and was intially put on birth control (Yasmin if I remember correctly) but after a few years I stopped it because it seemed to make me gain weight and it would often make me quite nauseous. Since then my current doctor put me on Metformin and Wellbutrin to help with weight loss, which worked quite well. But since my stomach issues have been flaring up I haven't taken any meds for the past year. Without the medication I tend to go about 9 months without a period.

5. I am trying to not get discouraged by the scale not moving and keep up eating better (still gluten & dairy free) and exercising (I walk for about 30 mins 5 days a week and do strength training 2 days a week). I also plan on going to see a naturopathic doctor to see if there are some other ways to better deal with PCOS!
:carrot:

veggiedawg
04-14-2013, 10:10 AM
veggiedawg - where do you live? Here in Australia, we have salmon available in tins similar to tuna. I'm too much of a fan of the fresh stuff though to ever try it though ;-)

Of course, tonight is my first real challenge (eating wise) this week - my friend's 21st birthday party. Red velvet cake, home made Italian cooking. I'm equal parts excited and terrified, LOL!

Hi Meeel4121! Yes, we have salmon in tins here too. (Canada)
And I do buy them. It just that some companies have come out with perfect little single serving tins of tuna (85 grams/3 oz) that are flavoured (with chili peppers, or dill & lemon, etc.) And I wish they had the same for salmon--which is only sold in the regular 2 serving size tins.
I agree, the fresh stuff is so much better! ....especially with a coating of barbeque sauce and maple syrup....Mmmmmm! LOL

How was the party? My test will be this afternoon, as we are getting fish 'n chips. It's a fish fry to support the local fire station. Sounds like they offer a few sides too, and cake. The kids can have the cake, but I'll need to eyeball my portions. I already figured out my meal plan of the day...so all my carbs are gone in that one meal! (fries and fish breading)

NorIdaGrrrl- Good morning! Happy to have you join in!

So sorry about your friend. :hug:

Are you still off dairy and gluten? Do you find it hard planning meals without it?
Do you walk outside or on a treadmill?

Let us know what your naturopath says...

SuperCecilia- Hey! Congrats again on your weightloss!

I'm still nursing a sore knee, so my C25K is done. Thinking about getting my bike fixed up...I haven't been on it in years! (just your basic mountain bike)

I'm doing ok, diet wise. Hoping to post a new weight soon. My scale is a little wonky, so I want to be sure. Added serving size portions of lentils and tofu to the freezer this week...Oooo, the excitement! ha!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

Rana
04-14-2013, 08:19 PM
There's a lot of travel in my month of April so I am trying to do things differently.

Travel has always been the kicker for me -- it was an excuse to eat more than I normally would (Because, whoops, you're traveling!) and of course, to eat things that I normally wouldn't (toast with breakfast!).

So, while my ways will not be 100% on track (that I know as much) I'm trying to make small but good decisions. I skipped dinner one night last week, which based on all the food we eat when we travel, is not a big deal. I didn't die of hunger. I'm still here! I also picked a good "healthy" snack for "lunch" on the plane, rather than going for the sandwich (bread and cheese are not part of my meals right now) or the cookie.

I've also turned down desserts and wine.

No, I'm not going to lose weight this way, but maybe it'll stop the creep!

I'm taking work out clothes for next week's trip too. I may not burn everything I eat off, but I will at least work on the IR stuff -- which is just as important.

Meeel4121
04-16-2013, 07:36 AM
veggiedawg - I find the flavoured tuna tins too sweet (as in that artificially over-sweetened taste), but that's properly due to the brand I was tasting (and that I only had it once). I've NEVER thought to try maple syrup with salmon. I'm imagining some really good Canadian maple syrup now *mouth waters*

The party was good! I wasn't as strong as I had hoped I would be. I did have some corn chips. And some red velvet cake. And some cake pops. But, it was a one off. And I didn't gorge myself, which is a small step in the right direction.

How did you go? Can I ask, what is fish fry? I have family in Seattle, so I am slightly familiar with the term, but don't actually know what it is? Is it just battered and fried fish (which is would fish and chips equates to in Australia).

NorIdaGrrrl- Welcome! I'm really sorry to hear about your friend. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your friend!

How have you found gluten and dairy free? I get slight reflux, so I had stopped having dairy. But this past week I've reintroduced it as a means of upping my protein intake (skim milk, I have learnt, has a significant amount of protein in it). For the first couple of days my stomach was horrible, but it seems to get getting used to the daily glass of milk.
On the flip side, with cutting down my carbs I've unintentionally cut down my gluten intake. I'm amazed at how less bloated I am.

Rana - I use the 'I'm travelling so I can eat whatever because it's convenient' excuse too. But, it sounds like you have the right mindset, which is great! Hope you're enjoying your travels!

Check in - I hopped on the scale this morning. I'm 3 pounds down! Whilst I am pleased with that number, I know that this is mainly TOM water weight loss.
I'm focusing more on the fact that I had a good week last week (ignoring an extra slice of pizza on Friday night and the party on Saturday night). I feel like I have a better mind set. The week before last was horrible (depression and anxiety wise). I have a strong suspicion that this might have been TOM induced.

Hope everyone's week is going well!

veggiedawg
04-16-2013, 07:50 PM
[QUOTE=Meeel4121;4708120]veggiedawg -
How did you go? Can I ask, what is fish fry? I have family in Seattle, so I am slightly familiar with the term, but don't actually know what it is? Is it just battered and fried fish (which is would fish and chips equates to in Australia).

Check in - I hopped on the scale this morning. I'm 3 pounds down! QUOTE]

Yup! Battered and Fried Fish and Chips! We call it that too.
If you were going to a restaurant, you'd say, "I'm going for fish and chips" but a fish fry would be more of a neighbourhood party/gathering type event....like a barbeque.

I did ok with planning what I was going to eat at the fish fry and I only had a salad for supper. BUT, it didn't seem worth the splurge of greasy calories! Ha! We were glad to support the cause though.

Congrats on losing the 3 lbs! Isn't it awesome seeing that scale actually move?!

I taped a pilates tv program and tried it this afternoon. OMG! It is brutal!
I've never done pilates before. I could hardly follow the woman doing the beginners moves!

I hope everyone is doing well!

astrophe
04-18-2013, 01:09 PM
Quick check in:

I'll try to catch up later. Just anxious... eldercare land = cancer biopsy for mil. She's delicate so... stress! :(

A.

Meeel4121
04-19-2013, 07:19 AM
Astrophe - I hope everything is okay! Aged care is never easy. I hope everything works out for the best. :hug:

veggiedawg - okay, I get the difference now! Congrats with sticking to your plan! :carrot:
I have done Pilates before, lol, but I've never been successful at it. I actually have the worst flexibility. It is supposed to best great for you though. I'm sure you'll adapt to it. Let me know how it goes!

Check in It's Friday night here. It's been a long week. I might have overeaten some Indian food. Not majorly. But it wasn't a portioned meal. I never thought that it wouldn't be. But after a long week of being 100% on plan and on a day where I got up to 5:30am to go to the gym, then spent all day at uni studying and with 1000 calories to burn on dinner, I suppose that I haven't made that much of a mess for myself.

Does you guys allow yourselves a 'cheat meal'? I've attempted it before in the past and it became a quick excuse to valid overindulgences. :devil:

veggiedawg
04-21-2013, 10:36 AM
Astrophe-How are things going with your travels and MIL's biopsy?

Meeel4121-I haven't planned a cheat meal...yet! I thought I'd be having one yesterday because it was my MIL's birthday weekend and she mentioned ordering food, but she ended up cooking. Much easier for me! I had non-whole grain but I kept my portions in check and was happy. I also brought some carrots and a banana for the trip and that help me not be starving by supper. The only thing I wish I had brought was water. (she's in the city and my body does not like the fluride in the water)

I am happy to say I actually lost my first 10 lbs!!! YAY!
(of course, I'm the only one who can tell!)

Sad, but motivation for losing more:
I have been trying to do some pilates and there are certain moves I can't do. My four year old states, "Maybe it's because your fat." Thanks.

Also, like I said, we went over to MIL's place. She told me this week they weighed her at the hospital and she's about the same weight as me...and the same height. It's a real eye-openner to see what your weight looks like on someone else. My brain doesn't see myself looking like that. However, we do carry the weight in the same places....yup, motivation!

Well, I hope you all are doing great!

Meeel4121
04-22-2013, 07:15 AM
Veggiedawg - congrats on the 10lbs! That is awesome!!! Great job!

Benelux
04-22-2013, 08:18 AM
I'm a newbie! :) Recently diagnosed with PCOS :( Finally seeing the scales going in the right direction!! :carrot:

Who is here this month?
ME!

How are you?
I'm good. I had a bit of a meltdown when I discovered that my old weighing scales was broken and I was nearly 7lb heavier than I thought. I've still lost 11lb since the last week of March but I'm the same weight as I thought I was starting off. :(

How was last month?

It was good!

I discovered that I have PCOS last month and immediately cut out all refined food. I've cut out all sugar, chocolate, white bread, white pasta, white rice, cakes, biscuits, sweets etc and I feel so much better than I have in a long time. I'm taking EPA omega 3, 1200IU of vitamin D daily and using digestive enzymes. Finally after 5 long years of trying to get to the root of my weight gain I'm starting to see the scale going down and am feeling so much better!

What are you going to work on in March?

I'm going to start exercising more.

veggiedawg
04-22-2013, 03:44 PM
Welcome Benelux!!!:cool:

Was it a big adjustment, cutting out all the white bread, rice, sweets, etc?

Do you have a favourite exercise/sport or video to do?

Meeel4121- Thank you!

astrophe
04-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Hi gang... thanks for the suppport.

Nothing on biopsy. Have to try again for MIL. Sigh.

Had my endoc appt -- my labs are all great other than LDL a bit off and need a touch more Vitamin D. The no wheat/less wheat approach improved my triglycerides and no fatty liver probs.

My A1C was normal range with a 5.8. ( I quit the metformin, remember? It was making me too low and woozy. She was trying me on it to help with weight/lower testosterone. So I'm fine without.)

I'm still trying to change endocs, but at least my labs are good.

Eating a 40-30-30 split (or close to it) and avoiding wheat has improved my labs and my nose allergies so I'm just gonna go with it.

I'm still needing to improve my activity level.

A.

Rana
04-28-2013, 10:13 AM
Hi all,

I've been silent because I've been super busy and overwhelmed with work and school that I barely have enough time to check out the threads here and in WLS!

It's been crazy, I've been sick (another stomach virus) and I've been rethinking my whole approach to food and exercise.

I recognize now that I was burning out exercise-wise. I love Pilates and Spinning and riding my bike, but I was dreading going to class. I don't know why. Because I had to travel for two weeks for work, I didn't go to class and when I came back last week, I suddenly felt the love again!

And as for food, I'm counting calories and eating low-carb, but I'm trying to do it with intuitive-eating like approach -- asking me those serious questions like:
- Are you really hungry or are you bored?
- Are you really hungry or do you just think you should eat now because its in the schedule?
- Are you really hungry or do you just have a craving?

Imagine doing that for every permutation. Yes, I am eating dessert (I had dessert last night) but there were days earlier when I was eating very little because I wasn't hungry.

At some level, I think I need to figure this part out too because living by what MFP tells me was also causing me stress. And I think the reason I gained the weight/didn't lose it is that at some point I burned out.

So, I'm trying to approach this differently. Rather than trying to lose the 5-7 lbs I gained in the last 4-5 months, I'm going to try to do what feels good -- exercise, good healthy food, and when my period of stress is over, then I'll focus on losing weight.

There is so much stress right now in terms of work and trying to finish my projects from school that I can't handle weight loss too. I can handle being healthy for my PCOS which is the most important.

Hope everyone is doing well and the PCOS is coming under control! :)

astrophe
04-30-2013, 10:19 PM
Hop over to May!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos-insulin-resistance-support/280732-2013-may-pcos-support-thread.html#post4725449

A. :)