Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-28-2013, 08:05 PM   #1  

Default I have accepted that I will always be hungry.

Really. I've accepted it. Because I know it's true. I simply can't eat the same amount as normal-sized people and feel satisfied. So, I need to eat several times a day, and those times I eat, I need to eat things that ARE filling, and good for me. I've been trying to lose weight for years now and I always did the same approach. Stopped eating anything sugary and sweet, all breads, no fizzy drinks; I counted calories like crazy and exercised several times a day. I would lose weight, but then I would put it all back on. Every time I got back on the weight loss band-wagon, I would think, "maybe I should try a different approach-but I don't want to waste an entire month on something that isn't going to work" when that's EXACTLY what I've been doing, except now I've wasted years.

So, this time around, I decided to do things different.

1. Instead of weighing myself every day, I'm going to try to only weigh myself twice a month. Once at the beginning, once at the end.
2. I also won't be counting calories anymore, because I notice I get obsessive and get anxious when I hit 900, and I don't want to risk under-eating and screwing my already-screwed-up metabolism anymore. However I will be following portion sizes, and am considering getting a food scale.
3. Instead of intense cardio ALL the time, I'm going to follow this routine below
4. I won't completely restrict myself. I'll definitely avoid the sugary and bready things as often as I can, but if it's my birthday, I'm going to have a piece of cake, etc.

I already eat on smaller plates, eat proper portion sizes, and drink lots of water.

Wednesday: 35-min Weight work out

Thursday: Bike ride, twice a day, 20 min

Friday: 35-min Weight work out

Saturday: Bike ride, twice a day, 20 min

Sunday: hour walk after dinner

Monday: hour walk after dinner

Tuesday: hour walk after dinner

but I am open to suggestions. I have 50lb to lose, and I am a 23 year old F. Does this sound like a decent plan? Keep in mind, I actually was advised by my doctor to lose 50lb, so even though my methods are sometimes unhealthy (the reason I came here to check,) I legitimately need to lose the weight.

Last edited by mymagicnumber; 03-28-2013 at 08:50 PM.
mymagicnumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #2  

Protein and fats will curb your appetite and help you lose weight as long as you don't over eat them.

Good luck on your journey.
SnowPetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymagicnumber View Post
[FONT="Arial Black"]Really. I've accepted it. Because I know it's true. I simply can't eat the same amount as normal-sized people and feel satisfied.
I can relate. I'm 56 and lost 50 pounds a couple of years ago. Maintenance is sometimes easy, sometimes not so easy. Some days (like today) I'm annoyed and angry that I can never (or rarely) feel truly satisfied with the amount I eat. And it's not like I have to penny-pinch my calories -- I can maintain on 2,000 per day. But it doesn't really satisfy me. I've experimented with higher protein, higher fat, higher carb, and it seems to make no difference. I WANT MORE!!! OK, toddler rant over.

Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #4  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

How much do you normally eat to feel satisfied?
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarsongbird View Post
How much do you normally eat to feel satisfied?
That depends on the day. I used to aim for around 1400-1500 calories, but since I don't want to count them anymore, I just eat when I'm hungry. Ideally I eat something every 3-4 hours.

Today I had an omelette with spinach, a donut (they're gone now and I only had one, so no worries) a turkey fajita with onion and spinach, and 3tbs air popped popcorn. I also take an appetite supressant prescribed by my doctor in the evening so I don't overeat. I know I didn't eat a ton today, but I don't feel that hungry.

Last edited by mymagicnumber; 03-28-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
I can relate. I'm 56 and lost 50 pounds a couple of years ago. Maintenance is sometimes easy, sometimes not so easy. Some days (like today) I'm annoyed and angry that I can never (or rarely) feel truly satisfied with the amount I eat. And it's not like I have to penny-pinch my calories -- I can maintain on 2,000 per day. But it doesn't really satisfy me. I've experimented with higher protein, higher fat, higher carb, and it seems to make no difference. I WANT MORE!!! OK, toddler rant over.

Freelance
There's a book by Michelle Pearl called Wake Up! You're probably never going to look like that that really helped me realise some things and come to terms with them. She talks about how people who have always had a weight problem, or an ongoing one, just can't eat like a normal person and be satisfied because there are different things going on in everyones bodies and a lot of it has to do with metabolism. According to her, people that have been obese their whole life or the majority of it, will ALWAYS feel as though they are starving and it's just something we need to learn to live with, and live around, as well as we can. The sooner we realise and accept it, the sooner we can start moving toward losing weight more easily.

Last edited by mymagicnumber; 03-28-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #7  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
There's a book by Michelle Pearl called Wake Up! You're probably never going to look like that that really helped me realise some things and come to terms with them. She talks about how people who have always had a weight problem, or an ongoing one, just can't eat like a normal person and be satisfied because there are different things going on in everyones bodies and a lot of it has to do with metabolism. According to her, people that have been obese their whole life or the majority of it, will ALWAYS feel as though they are starving and it's just something we need to learn to live with, and live around, as well as we can. The sooner we realise and accept it, the sooner we can start moving toward losing weight more easily.
Fortunately this isn't true. ~Some~ people may have their hormones so screwed up this will be true but it's not that way for most people. Feeling as though their starving? Hardly. I'm glad you found the book helpful I've heard a lot of crazy ideas but this is the first time I've ever heard one this out there ...
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #8  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
1. Instead of weighing myself every day, I'm going to try to only weigh myself twice a month. Once at the beginning, once at the end.
2. I also won't be counting calories anymore, because I notice I get obsessive and get anxious when I hit 900, and I don't want to risk under-eating and screwing my already-screwed-up metabolism anymore. However I will be following portion sizes, and am considering getting a food scale.
3. Instead of intense cardio ALL the time, I'm going to follow this routine below
4. I won't completely restrict myself. I'll definitely avoid the sugary and bready things as often as I can, but if it's my birthday, I'm going to have a piece of cake, etc.
These seem pretty reasonable to me but if you aren't counting calories you're going to need to follow some rules to restrict calories. It's not hard to over eat even when eating "healthy". I'd suggest looking into Paleo.

As for exercise - forget "lifting for 35 minutes". Find a routine based around compound exercises and follow it. NROL 4 Women is pretty popular but there are plenty of programs out there to follow.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #9  

JohnP I've been looking into Paleo but it isn't something I can follow right now due to living and finance issues, so I just try to eat as clean as I can. Besides, I'd like to do a little more research first.

I can't post links yet, but the video I've been following is this one if you Youtube it: 35 Minute Total Body Beginner-Novice Workout with Weights, by Jayme Bales. Can you take a quick look and tell me if it's even worth doing once in a while? I rather liked it and even though it took me a lot longer than her I did everything she did.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:38 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 191/178/145

Height: 5'6

My weight crept on over the past 6 years and I hit a point when I couldn't stand it any more. However, I cook a lot for my family, I have teen sons that love my cooking and I needed to find a change in my lifestyle that was long term. I never had high blood pressure or cholesterol issues until 2 years ago, so I needed to change. Three weeks ago I greatly reduced rice, pasta, potatoes, sugars, breads, chips, fried items and I never drink soda. I now drink 64 oz of water, have steamed vegetables and increased my proteins. For breakfast I have a delicious chocolate shake (ology) and a salad for lunch. I have nuts and other healthier crunchy items in the house. I eat dinner with my family every night, but only the main entree (beef, chicken, pork, or fish) and vegetables. I use my elliptical 4 x a week, but hope to add more variety.

I bought a food scale, but when I'm out of the house I estimate the right serving amount is the size of my fist. Eating something every 2-3 hours helps with the hunger greatly.

I didn't find a program that fit for me, my family and my budget, so I thought I would try this method until the first of June to see how I do. I have been eating this way for 3 weeks and have lost 5 lbs and 5 inches as of today.

There are a lot of options out there and the good news you can try one and if you don't like it, you can try something different. You are 20 years younger than me, so stick with it and try different things until you find the right one.

Good luck.
bbrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:48 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 203/197/145

Height: 5'5"

I too have relized that I cannot count calories on paper, however, I do keep a mental count so this give me a little room to enjoy something if I really want it. If I write it down then I'll likely back out of eating it, and this makes me restrict my food choices to complete deprivation. So now I'm doing things a little differently. I try to avoid trigger food, because I know that once I start I won't stop, other than that, I don't limit myself to food groups but I do watch my portions. I even enduldge in my triggers once or twice a month. I am still new to this way of eating, so I'll have to see how it goes in the long run, but so far this has been working for me.
I also exercise a lot because I actually enjoy it, and I find that once I have worked hard in the gym, I don't want to come home and undo my progress. I won't lie and say that I'm never hungry, because it seems that I always am, but most days I ignore it. I have set times that I eat and I try really hard to stick to it. In my relationship with food I figure either, I'm going to have a stomach ache from eating crappy foods, or hunger pains from eating smaller portions and training my mind and body to eat to live not live to eat. I'll get it right one day but until then I refuse to give up.
ShaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:53 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
According to her, people that have been obese their whole life or the majority of it, will ALWAYS feel as though they are starving and it's just something we need to learn to live with, and live around, as well as we can.
Well, I've never technically been obese, though I've come close. I don't think there's anything unusual about my metabolism and -- knock on wood -- I have no health issues right now. I was simply born with a large appetite. My mother told me that as an infant I would scream incessantly until she had given me exactly twice as much milk as the doctor recommended. (I was bottle-fed.) I still carry that legacy today. A couple of weeks ago I was in vacation in Texas and probably averaged 3,500 cals per day. That felt about right to me. Now I'm having to undo the damage.

Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:01 PM   #13  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez View Post
Not necessarily. It seems a lot of people can lose weight by just using portion control. (Unfortunately, I am not one of them )
You do realize that portion control is following a rule right?

Bottom line is you have to restrict calories one way or another. Counting or by following some kind of rules that restrict them.

I recommend Paleo because in my opinion most people like the idea of eating as much as they want more than portion control. Paleo the food choices are so limited and meat based ... I defy anyone to over eat when following strict Paleo. Plus, it has the added advantage of a almost religious following of people that all will agree about how great they feel eating Paleo to cheer you on.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #14  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
I can't post links yet, but the video I've been following is this one if you Youtube it: 35 Minute Total Body Beginner-Novice Workout with Weights, by Jayme Bales. Can you take a quick look and tell me if it's even worth doing once in a while? I rather liked it and even though it took me a lot longer than her I did everything she did.
Well obviously I didn't watch all 40 minutes. I skimmed through it. I'd say it looks "OK" so if you're a big fan then ... sure. If you're looking for something simple you can do at home right now I have a couple suggestions I like better.

Spartacus 2 workout

Roland Denzel Beginner Kickstart
Old 03-28-2013, 11:24 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Well obviously I didn't watch all 40 minutes. I skimmed through it. I'd say it looks "OK" so if you're a big fan then ... sure. If you're looking for something simple you can do at home right now I have a couple suggestions I like better.

I like them both, but I'm a very visual person so although I gravitate toward the second one, I'll probably stick to the first one since it has pictures and therefore will be easier for me to follow. Thanks. I'll definitely incorporate some things.