Ideal Protein Diet - An Interesting stopping point convo

BeccaGrim
03-27-2013, 11:26 AM
So, I was talking to my coach, who in my office happens to be the PA since I am doing this in my doctor's office, and she suggested to me that I might consider making my goal weight five pounds heavier than I had initially thought. This is based on how I'm looking. She expects me to lose a bit still on Phase II and wants me to ultimately end at a weight where I'm not looking boney (not my goal!) and that I can maintain without too much struggle.

The other good news is that everything that had gone wrong with my blood work right before I started IP and really prompted me to do this has now been fixed. I have really good blood work again. So, IP has really saved my life and I don't think thats an exaggeration.

What is your experience? Did you alter your Goal based on how you looked or stay with your original goal because that was what you started with?

chubbiegurl
03-27-2013, 11:43 AM
I wanted 125 because that is right around where I felt comfortable last time I lost weight. Once I reached it I actually thought a few more lbs would be good, just in case if I mess up I never go past goal. Have only been maintaining for a month and even though I thought close to 120 was unrealistic to stay at, it hasnt been. Would 5 lbs really affect maintainence? I am thinking you should wait until u reach 165 then reevaluate, u might decide its perfect for u or that 10 more is.

Momto2cs
03-27-2013, 11:47 AM
Forget about the scale. When you get to a weight that feels right phase off.
If you try to get too low it is much more difficult to maintain.

scorbett1103
03-27-2013, 11:52 AM

THIS.

dawn again
03-27-2013, 12:06 PM
I am 5'10" as well. My coach thinks I should be 195. I was thinking more around 175, but I told her I would get to 195 and then we could see how I feel. 160 I could never do though. I don't feel or look healthy much below 170. It is interesting convo though. I have no idea what I am going to do. LOL

Ishbel
03-27-2013, 12:14 PM

agreed!

Cheekyskeeter
03-27-2013, 12:18 PM
I agree with the others that you should stop where you feel comfortable. I initially wanted to set my goal as 160 as that's where I thought I could maintain but decided on 150. I've been debating for a bit when to stop as I'm happy with the way I look now. I will be going to phase 2 on Friday (I see my coach tomorrow) and will start phasing off. I'm almost at the goal weight I set now anyhow.

BeccaGrim
03-27-2013, 12:31 PM
Thank you guys. I hadn't been thinking about altering things but I do want to be able to maintain this.

Alma4343
03-27-2013, 12:42 PM
I agree with the others that you should stop where you feel comfortable. I initially wanted to set my goal as 160 as that's where I thought I could maintain but decided on 150. I've been debating for a bit when to stop as I'm happy with the way I look now. I will be going to phase 2 on Friday (I see my coach tomorrow) and will start phasing off. I'm almost at the goal weight I set now anyhow.

Congratulations on moving to Phase 2. You have done so well!
:carrot::carrot:

Shawsy
03-27-2013, 12:48 PM
I have been going through this very thought process over the past few weeks. I have not really given up on my initial goal (190) but decided to start phasing out at about 205 lbs. I think I will get to 190 eventually, but more gradually and through a combination of the maintenance diet and regular exercise.

I am sure that everyone is different. I know that moving on from phase 1 when I did was the right decision for me.

patns
03-27-2013, 12:51 PM
Age has a lot to do with this decision too. As we get older the weight goes from the face and not from the middle.
A weight that looked fantastic at 30 can look haggard at 55+.Also as we get older it takes far fewer calories to maintain. So a low weight plus being older is very difficult to maintain.

Suchawittygal
03-27-2013, 12:53 PM
I've been going through this though process also. I'm now only 3 lbs from my original goal weight of 140 lbs, but my body doesn't look like I want it to. Therefore, i'm seriously considering changing my goal weight to 130 and see how I look when I get close to that.

Roo2
03-27-2013, 12:58 PM
I think we all need to do what makes us most comfortable and what we can live ..that causes us the least amount of stress and unhappiness.

Everyone has a different idea of what is success for them...as long as you are not feeling turmoil in your life from your decisions ...go with your Gut....that has always rule me in life!
Good Luck, Roo2

foreveryoung
03-27-2013, 01:05 PM
I think is a matter of how I feel, how my labs are, my doctor opinions matter to me a lot too, then I would make my decision. I've seen some people going down as far as they could because they were doing this by the scale, but honestly the look so crappy, and unhealthy.

Donna Gel
03-27-2013, 01:26 PM
I posted about this very thing this morning on the chat thread. I had my WI yesterday. Right now I sit at 169 and I fit comfortably in size 9/10, which was my main goal from the start.

I have been thinking about my goal weight and may have to revise. In order to reach it I still have almost 20 pounds to lose, that would take me down 2 more sizes to size 5/6. I can't be that thin, I am not built that way. I am thinking instead of 150, I will raise that to 155 and that will still give me a buffer for phasing off. If I settle at 160, I will be happy. I am 5'5" with a med-large bone structure.

Lynnie63
03-27-2013, 01:37 PM
I posted about this very thing this morning on the chat thread. I had my WI yesterday. Right now I sit at 169 and I fit comfortably in size 9/10, which was my main goal from the start.

It's so funny how everyone's body is different - I'm 5'5" as well and at 161 I'm in a tight size 12 Levi's jeans. My face looks thin, as does my upper body (love the collar bones), but my thighs could loose some more. My stomach is pretty much gone - for the first time - ever!

I had revised my goal to 140 from 150, and thought I'd like to get to be a size 10, but I'm thinking I'm going to revise it up. I'd like to be able to fit comfortably in a size 12 - so I never have to go to the "Women's" section ever again (or so I can shop in as someone at Dress Barn said to me... the "normal" size section (can you believe that?!).

I'm afraid I'll look too thin at 140 - I don't want to look haggard at 50!

It would be nice to loose 125# - it's a nice round number, but I don't think I'll like how I'll look.

Sounds like they'll be a lot of us new maintainers soon!!

mquinn106
03-27-2013, 02:48 PM
I was thinking about this yesterday. I will definitely stop where I feel the best. But...I'd like to get to a size 8. I'm currently 210 and a size 14. I was joking with my coach that we set the end weight too high at 160, she said based on my frame not to go lower, I said "c'mon let's go for 155, then I can say I've lost 100 pounds!". It is interesting how different everyone's bodies are. Even the 14's that fit me at 190 a few summers ago fit now at 210 when back then I had to move to a 16...weird but I'll never question IP and the magic it works! Just trust it :)

KitKat169
03-27-2013, 03:01 PM
I just posted this in the 100% thread.

For those of you stressing about your end goal, I want to say "just relax" but I know that is easier said than done. I had a hard time too the last 15lbs because where my doctor said to stop vs BMI scale vs where I felt I still wanted to lose (as if I had a choice). I don't see or feel thin by any means because I have a large stomach roll and taking a bath stresses me because I see weird skin flaps around my thighs. I'm not convinced this is all skin but I don't know how much more I could get my weight down. I also didn't want to phase out just because i wanted to get lazy on my daily eating choices (i.e. take the easy road out). So eventually I made the decision to phase off. I know that I need time for my body to deal with the excess skin, I know I may need surgery one day to remove what my body can't deal with and I know that if I still have fatty spots that I want to address I can go back to P1. I've phased off before and went back to P1 (vacation), so I know it can be a challenge but I know it is possible to do. And once in maintenance I'm sure that I'll need to do a semi-annual reboot to deal with little scale creeps and that I could just stay on P1 for a little longer. This is now a lifetime journey so I'm no longer concerned about where / when I officially declared goal.

Going back and re-reading this before I posted, it sounds like an affirmation session. I think I needed this though as much to convince myself as anyone else. One of my daily reads from Beck Diet Solution is to remind me to give myself credit on what I've accomplished and learned instead of adding doubt.

BeccaGrim
03-27-2013, 03:10 PM
Why does the number on the scare bother me so much? I started out at 228 lbs. I had horrific blood work. Now, I'm 178 with good blood work. Why do I think I'll feel so much better at 160 then 165? I'm wearing a 10 right now (from an 18-20). If it goes like its set up to go, I will be wearing an 8 at 165. No different then it would be at 160.
What is wrong with my head? AHHH. LOL
And its all still weeks and weeks away. I'm 178. Even to get to 165 is 13 lbs.

shellyk1
03-27-2013, 03:14 PM
For me this has been the hardest part of this is to figure out what is a healthy reasonalbe weight for myself...I havent been at a healthy weight since my teenage years so dont have a clue! I wanted a healthy bmi but the weight for that is so low that I am nervous about that so then I thought I would stick with the original and see how my diabetes numbers are and what my doctor thinks! Have a Fantastic day all! :0)

infoplease
03-27-2013, 03:36 PM
Why does the number on the scare bother me so much? I started out at 228 lbs. I had horrific blood work. Now, I'm 178 with good blood work. Why do I think I'll feel so much better at 160 then 165? I'm wearing a 10 right now (from an 18-20). If it goes like its set up to go, I will be wearing an 8 at 165. No different then it would be at 160.
What is wrong with my head? AHHH. LOL
And its all still weeks and weeks away. I'm 178. Even to get to 165 is 13 lbs.

Here's part of the mental trickery: if your goal is set at 160 and your maintenance range becomes 160 to 165, you'll be comfortable even when your weight is hanging around at the high end of the range (165).
if your goal is set at 165, then when it hits that high end (170) it might panic you for good (hey, I CAN and WILL control what's happening!) or evil (oh well, whatever, I can't control my weight).

The "how you feel/look" not the number on the scale is GREAT (albeit difficult in practice) advice.

The other thing that happens once you stop and phase off, no matter which scale number you pick, your body continues to change. The water weight moves around, the loose skin looks worse or better, you can see muscle then you can't then you can, etc, etc. Plus, sadly, wherever you always carry your fat, is where it will end up, albeit in a much, much smaller and healthier amount.

The problem with going too low is that you do look way too thin as you phase off and start maintenance AND you get a little addicted to the low numbers. So when it comes down to reality, where the high end of your range is the real "weight" you should be, it plays mind tricks AGAIN.

Compromise at 162.5? Or, you hit goal at whatever you weigh after an additional two weeks of Phase 1 after you hit 165? That would give you a focus on planning P2 meals & P3 meals instead of the scale.

Momto2cs
03-27-2013, 04:04 PM
The little voice that tells you to just lose a little more is very hard to ignore.

Weight loss can become somewhat obsessive.

I know I struggle with this.

infoplease
03-27-2013, 04:09 PM
The little voice that tells you to just lose a little more is very hard to ignore.

Yes.
And the muscle definition thing.
Obsessive.

Yet, to maintain, requires that fine line between focus and obsession.
And so much of the internet plays into obsession.

WorldTraveleronIP
03-27-2013, 04:25 PM
I'm struggling with this question as well. I have never weighed below 150 as an adult, so I have no idea what I would look like at 125. I was trying to grab a number in a healthy BMI for my height that wasn't at the high end (so I had a 5-6 pound range). I guess it will be a wait and see once I drop below 150. I don't have bad blood tests/medical issues I am dealing with now, but I also don't want to go through this again or the whole yo-yo dieting lifestyle. I want to phase off and maintain once and for all.

I guess I will cross that bridge when I get to it. It's still several months away at this point.

evepet
03-27-2013, 05:04 PM
I'm going to pop in here, because I played a 'mental head game' over this one too. My original weight loss goal was based on a combination of things - my Dr. had recommended a weight of 156-158 as 'acceptable' for my age; I wanted to get my BMI into the 'normal' range; and I thought I'd be fine if I got down to around the same weight as my sister, who is my height and weighs between 145-148 consistently. In my younger, slim days I'd weighed as little as 120, but now that I'm 62 I didn't want to go that low - felt I'd look gaunt. And my Dr. certainly didn't recommend it either.

I did stop when I got to the weight my Dr. had recommended (157) but then I regained about 3 lbs when I phased out, due to the return of glycogen. This affected the way my pants fitted, and put me right between sizes which was aggravating. Plus, I really didn't want to be so close to sliding back up over 160 again, so I decided to return to P1 to work down towards my original 150lbs goal... got to 150lbs, and then kept on just a couple of weeks longer to get a little additional cushion for any glycogen regain with maintenance this time. I'm happy that this time around (so far at least - I'm on my 10th day of P3 - go onto Maintenance this Monday) I've lost another lb while on P3, and am holding constant.

I think it's a process. Don't worry too much about it, you'll *know* when it's right for you to start phasing off.

AlisonS
03-27-2013, 05:18 PM
I just want to be where I don't have any more size-related risk factors. I want the "normal" range for BMI and fat percentage and waist size. My current goal is set a little high, but I do not plan to adjust it prior to getting to that goal. I figure at that point I will have more information about what the right number will be. (I'm only 5'2", that's why being in the "normal" BMI range is such a low number.)

BeccaGrim
03-27-2013, 06:01 PM
Man. The head games we play with ourselves.

For me, I went on this because my blood work was BAD. I'm 33. I had Gestational Diabetes 3 times. Basically, they told me should I not lose weight immediately, I'd be diagnosed diabetic. My doctor runs an IP program in her office. It made sense. i went on. It worked! 3 months later, my blood sugar is perfect. (Cured, my doctor says. Repaired, as my hubby likes to put it.) In any case that part makes me feel great.

I didn't want to end up like 2 of my mom's sisters who cannot fly (too heavy!) on airplanes. I'm wearing a 10. I've got to get ahold of my head games. That I am clearly doing to myself and I've got to do it before I get to gaol (whether it be 13 or 18 lbs from now.) Anyone have a suggestion as to how to go about doing that?

benice
03-27-2013, 06:10 PM
Here's an extreme suggestion. Since you are so close, how about doing away with the scale all together. Toss it for all purposes. No WI at home. When you go to the clinic, don't have your doctor tell you your weight. Just have her tell you if you gained or lost. Go by how you feel. When you feel like you are where you want to be. Be done. THEN step on a scale.

BeccaGrim
03-27-2013, 06:13 PM
Thats a thought.

safetylady
03-27-2013, 06:25 PM

Totally agree, it is hard for me not be become obsessive about the number on the scale. I choose not to get measured but my clothes size has gone from a snug 12 to a comfortable 10. My goal and happy place is into size 8. My original thought was 140 but I really think that I will need to get to 135 to feel great.

By the way, you look wonderful!

Donna Gel
03-27-2013, 06:28 PM
Your bone structure and height play a key role as well. at 5'5" and medium large bone structure, 140 is far too thin for me. Some one the same height but with a small frame might look fine. Just like I weight too much at 180, but my sister at 5'9" looks great at 180.

JenRem
03-27-2013, 06:43 PM
Here's an extreme suggestion. Since you are so close, how about doing away with the scale all together. Toss it for all purposes. No WI at home. When you go to the clinic, don't have your doctor tell you your weight. Just have her tell you if you gained or lost. Go by how you feel. When you feel like you are where you want to be. Be done. THEN step on a scale.

I LIKE it; great suggestion!

BeccaGrim - Thanks for starting this Thread. Nice to read others viewpoints.

I agree with those that say get to the place where you feel comfortable with yourself and your body. I really like benice's suggestion though, I may think on that for awhile.

Numbers on the scale can be so ARBITRARY.
Does the actual number matter that much? There are very few people who will see this "actual" number besides you (Dr. offices, printed on Drivers License, etc). Are you going to actually scream from the mountain top or walk around saying, "I weigh....125 lbs" ?(or whatever the number you fantasize about). My DH doesn't even know what I weigh, lol!
Clothes are the same way. Do we really need to wear size 4 because that's what we think sounds good?

Evepet and Kitkat - thanks for your contributions. The number we pick as our goal and where we phase out can always be tweaked down the road if we decide; it's not set in stone. And I agree that we will have P1 periods after vacations and/or small reboots while we are adjusting to Maintenance where we can act on our desire to fluctuate the end goal number.

I, too plan on changing my goal weight number. When I started IP last October, part of me didn't really believe that I'd even get to 168. So, I picked that number because it's about what I weighed when I got married, almost 20 years ago. I have had weight issues since the end of Jr High School, so I don't know what I'd look like or feel like at any weight lower than 160. I decided to not change my goal weight on my signature until I actually hit it. Then, I will probably change the number by 5-10 lb increments and have a huge bold ? after it, lol! Jen

Calisto
03-27-2013, 06:47 PM
My husband originally had his goal at 150 but once he got to 155 he went to phase 2 and I am glad, he still lost 4 lb through Phase 2 and 3 and still has to watch it because he can lose weight really easy still. He is trying to find that balance now in phase 4.

Desafinado
03-27-2013, 06:56 PM
This is an interesting thread. I don't have a clothing size in mind at all because I don't have any idea what size I would wear at what weight so that number is not useful to me. A size 8 might still be too big for me OR maybe it's perfect. Who knows?

So, I chose my goal weight because it's in healthy BMI range and I figured that's the goal I should work toward.

I do worry that I might get to my ideal weight via ideal protein and start obsessing about food and staying slim.

Calisto
03-27-2013, 07:29 PM
I know I am big boned, I know I want to be between 150 - 170. I figure once I get to 170 I will decide. I know at the clinic they would like me to get to 130 or so. I don't ever remember being 130, I think I would feel too small.

So I plan on getting to 170 and see how I feel, I would love to be a size 14/16 (or XL) again.

ladylunk
03-27-2013, 08:07 PM
When I think about clothing sizes I don't EVER remember being less than a 12 so for me I would be happy at that, but the way clothes fit these days I can probably say some stores I would want to be a 10 as they fit bigger.

For weight I am thinking around 165 will be good. I am pretty big boned and 5 foot 9.5 so this should work and it puts me at healthy BMI. But honestly I do go on feel, this is the first time weighing intentionally for a long long time so numbers not that important. Just becoming more so with this diet. Which could be a good thing......being accountable....

RareBird
03-27-2013, 11:49 PM
I chose my goal weight for 2 reasons... it was in the healthy BMI range (125Lbs will bring me to a BMI of about 23), and I thought about what one of my aunts said she weighed when she got older... I'm almost 60, and at 70, my height and 115lbs, I thought she looked emaciated. But I recently read that studies have shown that people with a BMI between 18-22 have the longest life spans, so I'm considering dropping my goal to 120, which will put my BMI below 22 (and I realize that being overweight for some years may have done my lifespan some damage!). I am small boned, and until I was in my early 30s I weighed 110. I think, as others have said, that I will see how I look as I loose more, but if I don't feel like I'm looking too thin (there's an alien thought!), I'll drop my goal.

LexiChanel1
03-27-2013, 11:56 PM
I looked my best at 105 and no belly fat.

Lynnie63
04-02-2013, 02:28 PM
I made a decision - I'm putting my goal back to 150 and am satisfied with a size 12 jean - I think at 140 or a size 10 I'll look too thin.

This weekend I went shopping and bought about $350 worth at Kohl's, shopped their sales, so many good deals! I like the way I looked in the clothes. It's amazing how much better you look with a good bra:) (the reason for the shopping trip). I checked out and as I was paying my mother found more stuff, so back to the racks for another load.

My weight that I post here is at the clinic, which is after work, after I've eaten and drank thru the day. To determine when I'm ready to phase off I might go by my home scale, 1st am and naked - yesterday it said 153.5 and today said 157, odd.

My body fat is around 28% (from the scale at the clinic) which is "average". I don't want to rely on the BMI because it's not a good indicator.

Of course, I just started riding my semi-recumbent bike to add muscle (I'm very jiggly), so I might add lean muscle mass.

My hubby had the advice to pick a weight that I don't want to go over. My girlfriend said that she has a cushion in there to - so kind of the same thing.

It's so hard!! I know that gong by the number on the scale isn't what we should do, but it's hard not to!

scorbett1103
04-02-2013, 02:43 PM
My hubby had the advice to pick a weight that I don't want to go over. My girlfriend said that she has a cushion in there to - so kind of the same thing.

It's so hard!! I know that gong by the number on the scale isn't what we should do, but it's hard not to!

Congrats on picking a finish line!!!

I did the same thing - chose a weight that would be my "high" number. I still lost a little in P2 and P3, and I've been able to maintain within 4lbs of that weight so far. I don't stress about fluctuations (I can have a 2-3lb difference from one day to the next), I just watch for that upper number. If I cross it, I do a P1 day and that seems to bring things back to where they should be.

leannekarella
04-02-2013, 04:20 PM
I had a full work up with the high-tech muscle/bone density etc machines and my "perfect" weight is 209, according to them. (Not IP, but a medical place). I find this hard to believe, since being over 200 seems still high to me. Though seeing I was over 300 when the tests were run, I'm not sure.

I set 199 as my goal because I think it's attainable, but it's by no means a hard set weight. I will stop when I feel right. In the back of my mind, I have 180 as my perfect weight, since that's the last time I thought I looked and felt perfect. On the other hand if I hit 210 and feel good, that's where I'll stop.

I think it's up to you to decide, not the scale. Not your doctor/coach.

Lynnie63
04-02-2013, 04:56 PM
Thanks Scorbett & Leanne

I was thinking of skipping P2 or maybe just a week. I skipped it when I phased off for vacation, but for that I had a shake for lunch, not the whole protein. I'll do it with the whole protein this time.