Exercise! - 1st Day-Couch to 5K-I'm a runner!

Pages : [1] 2 3

View Full Version : 1st Day-Couch to 5K-I'm a runner!

elvislover324
03-26-2013, 12:54 PM
Ok, maybe I am not a runner yet!!!

This was the first time in 20 years that I ran more than 2 steps and it was awesome!! Well, maybe it was more of a leisurely jog!

I was so petrified to start this program in case my husband came home to me dead on the floor on the first day. But so far, I'm still here!

I hope this counts, since I didn't really know what I was doing. :D

All the walking was done at 3.0mph which is 20 mins. per mile. The running/jogging part I did was at 3.8mph which is 15.47mins. per mile. I was afraid to push myself too hard plus I didn't trust that my legs would even know what to do.:woops:

I was definitely sweating my butt off and moving pretty good. I am going to follow the schedule of 3 days a week and hope I can make it to the end. I am determined to make this mini-goal. Then I will work on running outside which I think will be harder.

I'm so excited, you have no idea! This made me feel like a million dollars that I was strong enough to do this, even if it was slow.

Thank you to all of you who were so helpful on the other thread!! :hug:

rodeogirl
03-26-2013, 01:09 PM
Yay Elvis!!! This is awesome. I hope to do this in the future as well. I need to start by just walking every day.

Beewidget
03-26-2013, 01:39 PM
Great job!! Keep it up.

I start week two today.

elvislover324
03-26-2013, 02:39 PM
Thanks Rodeogirl!! I went from not being able to walk to my mailbox and back (like 20 feet) without feeling out of breathe and gross to being able to walk anywhere from 2-5 miles a day. I worked up from just doing 10 minutes walking a day to now doing anywhere from 45-120 mins a day. I'm so glad my body forgave me.

Awesome, Beewidget!! How did you feel after doing the 3 days last week? I'm so neurotic about keeping a schedule, I think I am going to do every other day vs. 3 days a week. I don't want to have 2 days off in a row. What speeds do you do? Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, I'm so excited!!!

Mozzy
03-26-2013, 05:24 PM
Good for you!!!
One of my goals is to do the c25k, but I'm not mentally ready to start just yet lol

AlmostMe
03-27-2013, 07:26 PM
elvislover - Good for you! Please don't worry about speed!!! The c25K is just to get your body - and your mind - used to running. You will naturally get a bit faster as you go along anyway.

I think every other day is a great plan, but if something comes up you'll still be on track!

Mozzy - what are you waiting for?? C25K is about getting yourself mentally prepared to be a runner. Not that I think everyone should run, but if you want to do it - Do it!!! I see you're in Georgia. Better to start it now than in a couple of months. (Tried to find a little smily for sweating buckets, but didn't see one.)

elvislover324
03-27-2013, 08:40 PM
Seriously Mozzy!! You inspire me to do so much and I am chasing you down in onederland soon!! I say do it!!!

Thank you, AlmostMe. I get so worried and caught up in the wrong details!!

I am seriously so excited. You all have NO idea!!

apriljoiex
03-27-2013, 10:40 PM
Way to go. The first step is the hardest! I will say that I started C25k back at the end of January and I could barely do the 1st week without wanting to die. Here I am 8+ weeks later and I run 3 miles without stopping. It's still work, but I actually feel like a runner now!

My tip is to take it slow. If I wasn't ready to move on to a week I'd repeat a run until I was. I occasionally would repeat a day and do 4 in a week, but never more than that. I don't know if I love running, but I love how I feel after I'm done.

berryblondeboys
03-27-2013, 10:46 PM
I'm starting this (again) tomorrow. I've only done the first day a few times as I never got into the swing of it, but I kind of just promised myself and others I would run a 5k at my HS reunion time in late June.

So... we can start this together, OK? I was just now... like a minute ago, finding my earphones for the phone so I can hear the prompts on the treadmill tomorrow at the gym!

Way to go you! I'm sure you can hardly believe it's YOU who are doing this!

sun
03-27-2013, 10:46 PM
woohoo gooo you! I am on week 6 day 2 and I love it!

Silverfire
03-27-2013, 10:52 PM
:woohoo: Elvis that is awesome! I am working up to the C25K and plan on starting it soon. :D

Novus
03-28-2013, 06:18 AM
Fabulous! C25K is an awesome program!

:broc:

Angelic Fruitcake
03-28-2013, 07:23 AM
Good job!

I'm starting C25K next week! I was supposed to start this week but was hit with a bad stomach bug.

elvislover324
03-28-2013, 09:27 AM
So excited to read these replies!! Day 2 is complete, so THAT really makes me a real runner LOL!! I had walked almost 5 miles yesterday so I was a bit sore today but it was awesome!! I switch to the run on the prompt but I don't look at the clock right away so by the time I do, half the run time is over! I know it's going to get harder real quick but I feel an awesome sense of accomplishment.

Way to go. The first step is the hardest! I will say that I started C25k back at the end of January and I could barely do the 1st week without wanting to die. Here I am 8+ weeks later and I run 3 miles without stopping. It's still work, but I actually feel like a runner now!

My tip is to take it slow. If I wasn't ready to move on to a week I'd repeat a run until I was. I occasionally would repeat a day and do 4 in a week, but never more than that. I don't know if I love running, but I love how I feel after I'm done.

Thanks so much for the advice, apriljoiex! And congrats on running 3 miles, that's amazing...I hope I do as well as you!

I'm starting this (again) tomorrow. I've only done the first day a few times as I never got into the swing of it, but I kind of just promised myself and others I would run a 5k at my HS reunion time in late June.

So... we can start this together, OK? I was just now... like a minute ago, finding my earphones for the phone so I can hear the prompts on the treadmill tomorrow at the gym!

Way to go you! I'm sure you can hardly believe it's YOU who are doing this!

This is great, Melissa!! My husband was going to do it the same time as me but his work schedule has been crazy lately. I started without him as I get a little OCD when I want to do something and I didn't want to wait for him (he's fine with it, he will start when he can). I'm only on day 2 today so you and I will be almost exactly in the same place. This is going to be awesome! And you are right, I can't believe I am "running" even if it's only at a minute at a time! It's the most I ever officially ran in my life. I did sports in high school 20 years ago but it was basketball, tennis and softball so there is running in the sports but not real running, if that makes any sense.

woohoo gooo you! I am on week 6 day 2 and I love it!

Awesome, sun!! I can't wait to be more than half way through and I just started!!

:woohoo: Elvis that is awesome! I am working up to the C25K and plan on starting it soon. :D

Silverfire, do it with me and Melissa! And we have to convince Mozzy to jump on the C25K train with us!!

Fabulous! C25K is an awesome program!

:broc:

I'm so excited, Novus, in case you can't tell!! :D

Good job!

I'm starting C25K next week! I was supposed to start this week but was hit with a bad stomach bug.

Hope you feel better, Angelic Fruitcake! You won't be that far behind so our progress should be about the same!!

sun
03-28-2013, 09:44 AM
:)

Silverfire
03-28-2013, 12:06 PM
Silverfire, do it with me and Melissa! And we have to convince Mozzy to jump on the C25K train with us!!

Elvis - you are doing so awesome!! I jogged for 5 minutes out of 20 on the treadmill this morning! I think I might start the C25K Monday! I have a feeling I will be stuck on the first day for a few days though :D Mozzy! Wanna hop on this bandwagon with me? The sooner the better right? :lol:

Angelic Fruitcake
03-28-2013, 04:51 PM
Elvis - you are doing so awesome!! I jogged for 5 minutes out of 20 on the treadmill this morning! I think I might start the C25K Monday! I have a feeling I will be stuck on the first day for a few days though :D Mozzy! Wanna hop on this bandwagon with me? The sooner the better right? :lol:

I'll be starting on Monday too (or maybe Sunday)! We can do it!

Silverfire
03-28-2013, 05:05 PM
I'll be starting on Monday too (or maybe Sunday)! We can do it!

Sweet!!! I got one of my IRL friends on board too! :woohoo: Lets do this!!!!!!
Look at what you started Elvis :p

elvislover324
03-28-2013, 05:28 PM
I'm so excited, we are ALL going to be official runners as of Monday!!:woops:

elvislover324
03-30-2013, 10:16 AM
Day 3 is complete. 1 week down, 8 to go!

broccolikatie
03-31-2013, 01:40 PM
I just started too. Week 2, workout 1 tomorrow.

elvislover324
03-31-2013, 01:55 PM
Awesome broccolikatie!! Welcome to the new runners club!!

elvislover324
04-01-2013, 03:06 PM
Week 2, Day 1 Complete! It was harder than last week but still refreshing and challenging. I will admit I was glad to hear the voice say "begin cool down"!

I think I might do M/W/F as a schedule to keep it logical in my head. I didn't really want 2 days off in a row but I'm dedicated to this challenge. Plus I told some people I am doing it so now I'm all in!

Angelic Fruitcake
04-01-2013, 06:08 PM
I did week 1 day 1 yesterday and i can't wait until tomorrow for day 2! It's supposed to be cold out though, I hope it won't be too bad.

elvislover324
04-01-2013, 06:10 PM
Awesome, Angelic Fruitcake!! I seriously can't believe my body is able to do this. It's like an out of body experience except I'm sore the next day LOL!

Silverfire
04-01-2013, 06:12 PM
I am going to try really hard to get started on this after work today, but my knees have been really sore today :(

elvislover324
04-01-2013, 06:19 PM
I am going to try really hard to get started on this after work today, but my knees have been really sore today :(

Awwww Silverfire :hug:

I wouldn't do it until your knees feel better but you know what is best for you. :)

We need you to be a healthy Silverfire, not a running (yet!) Silverfire!!

broccolikatie
04-01-2013, 08:08 PM
2.1, check. I'm trying for roughly every other day, though I am running outside, so I may need to take the occasional rain break.

foreverfaye
04-01-2013, 08:24 PM
Yea Elvislover!!!!

On Sundays I like to go to a Zumba class at my gym and yesterday was no different. Except it was. It was Easter Sunday and so classes were canceled. Since I was already at the gym, I decided I was going to get some kind of workout but what? I'd already spun the day before.
I hopped onto the elliptical and was promptly bored.
From the corner of my eye, I saw the treadmills and all the happy runners just trekking along (I lied. everyone was too out of breath to look happy) and I thought what if?
My friends and sister have decided to do a 5K in June and though I've been vehemently against starting any running program until I lose 35 lbs (for the sake of my knees you see), something must have seeped into my subconcious.
Before I could actually coherently say 'I'm doing this', I was on the treadmill and before I knew it, I'd finished day one of C25K (Is it sad that I know most of the program by heart?). I'd started it before 2 years ago when I weighed 212 lbs and I really think the extra 25lbs make a difference on my knees but I'm willing to see where this goes.

Moral of this long nonsensical post: I guess I'm a runner too. Or: I guess I'm doing this thang!

Silverfire
04-02-2013, 09:49 AM
I did it! This morning I did day one :D I struggled through, and only quit 10 seconds early on a jogging part once! My knees don't hurt nearly as bad as I was expecting! :tread: Boy, I can't jog in a straight line though, I was all over the place, nearly bouncing off the sides of the damn treadmill lol. I am sure form will come with practice right?

elvislover324
04-02-2013, 10:10 AM
Yay broccolikatie!!!

foreverfaye, who is better than you?!?!? Way to go, I'm so excited you did it!! And yes, we are runners. We run now!! Even if it's only 90 seconds at a time, it's still running!! :)

Awesome, silverfire!! I'm so glad you did it and felt good. And yes....I run crooked too!! I think I'm so excited to see my feet/legs running that I lose all control!!!

Silverfire
04-03-2013, 12:30 PM
I am going to be a runner! I am signing up for a women's walk/run in May, AND I have convinced some friends to join the color run that is coming to our neck of the woods in September (date isn't official yet though) SO EXCITED I hope that by September I will really be a runner!!

Angelic Fruitcake
04-03-2013, 01:03 PM
Woohoo Silverfire! I'll be doing the Color Run in Montreal in August and I can't wait! It looks like so much fun! Then I'll run my first real 5k in September.

I did W1D2 yesterday, with the jogging stroller and it was sooooo much harder than without (duh!). I don't have a choice though if I want to run 3x a week!

Ronja
04-03-2013, 02:47 PM
C25K was literally one of the best things I have ever done. I did it last year and in 7 weeks, I was able to jog for 35 minutes straight. I LOVED it. I did not love being all sweaty and feel my legs burning, but I loved the awesome feeling of accomplishment and the lovely feeling of being physically tired because you HAVE EXCERCISED.

I then hurt my knee and as the winter came, I fell off the wagoon, so I want to start again this spring. Meanwhile, as there is still way too much snow here, I am doing "30 minutes shred" to get fit. Maybe I will be able to start from week 2 or 3, but if I am not, I will just go from week 1. NO rush. That is also the best advice I can give you about C25K: do not rush. You can always just log losely. This way you will build up your stamina gradually and will not become hating the excercise that is too strenuous for you. I also need to repeat this to myself a lot, as I tend to push myself too hard and even hurt myself. NO WAY TO GO. Yo, you already ARE a runner!!!!

elvislover324
04-03-2013, 05:28 PM
Week 2 Day 2 completed this afternoon!

Thanks, Ronja!! Your post was so helpful, I hope you can get back in it soon.

I feel kind of foolish saying I run when it's only 3.8mph and walking at 3.0mph but it feels good to me so I am going with it. I won't win any races that is for sure!

Slow and steady, that's all I am doing. I don't want to hurt myself plus I am so freakin' impressed with myself right now that I don't have to show off to myself!!!

broccolikatie
04-03-2013, 11:52 PM
That's totally my attitude as well, elvislover. A tortoise would likely fall asleep waiting for me to catch up with it, but I sure am pleased with myself!

Angelic Fruitcake
04-04-2013, 08:30 AM
I'm really really slow as well. There are people who can walk faster than I "run". But I don't care. Right now, I'm working on being able to run 5k without stopping. Once I can do that, I'll work on getting some speed. My goal is to run my 5k in under 40 minutes in September.

nitrus29
04-04-2013, 01:02 PM
woo hoo !! way to go elvis :carrot:

I know the feeling.. I have never ran in my life.. even if my life depended on it :o

I am with you on this one!! I did Week 1 Day 1 on Monday.. plan to finish this bad boy in 9 weeks!! Let's do it together!!

Angelic Fruitcake
04-04-2013, 03:04 PM
Week 1 is DONE! I'm so proud of myself and I just love the post-run feeling! I'm ready to start Week 2 this weekend. The weather forecast isn't good for next week so far, I hope it won't be too bad so I can go out!

elvislover324
04-04-2013, 06:52 PM
We are doing awesome!!!

I finish week 2 tomorrow so I plan on getting up early to get it done first thing. I'm so excited!

I was googling a lot about C25K as I was concerned I was too slow and maybe wasting my time. I confirmed, it's not a waste of time!! My body is learning at a good pace for me and hopefully I can turn it into something bigger and better.

I try not to get ahead of myself but I peeked at the schedule, wooooo nelly, we are going to be working our tails off in a few weeks more than we are now (even if it's at a slow pace!!).

Keep up the good work!! :woops::woops::woops:

charliee
04-04-2013, 07:57 PM
You guys are amazing, I've always wanted to do C25K and you guys have inspired me to try. I thought I should wait till I got to onederland, but I'm going to try day one and see how it goes.

Congrats to everyone who become a runner!

elvislover324
04-05-2013, 10:06 AM
Awesome, charliee!!! If I can do it, I swear anyone can do it.

Week 2 Day 3 is complete!! I'm so so happy about starting this!!!

elvislover324
04-08-2013, 02:31 PM
Week 3 Day 1 is done. Nice and sneaky how that 3 minute run got thrown in there twice! But I did it!! Just kept telling myself I can walk if/when I need to. But I did it twice!! Hello miracle of the day!

Angelic Fruitcake
04-08-2013, 03:52 PM
Woohoo elvislover! I'll admit that week 3 is scaring me, with those 3 minutes jogs!

I did W2D2 today and it went pretty well, except when I had to jog on a hill. I had the jogging stroller and it was just too difficult so I had to walk it. Everything else went well though. I'm looking forward to D3!

elvislover324
04-08-2013, 03:58 PM
You are doing awesome, Angelic Fruitcake!! I can't imagine a hill plus a stroller?! I'm a wimp and took the easy treadmill way out.

I didn't know it was 3 minutes until the timer was about halfway through and I looked at it like, what?!? I didn't read today's description before I started, it's probably a good thing as I had no time to be scared for the first one! It was the 2nd one that almost did me in but I pushed through!

I just did a Leslie Sansone video for 30 minutes. I must be out of my mind today. :)

elvislover324
04-10-2013, 03:26 PM
Week 3 Day 2 is complete!! Anyone contemplating starting this program should go for it, I feel like a million bux in my heart. I never thought I'd be able to this in a million years.

Silverfire
04-10-2013, 03:32 PM
OH Elvis that is so awesome!!! I am so happy that you have stuck with it! I am struggling with it at the moment, but I will get there. :) Keep it up, you are kicking @ss!

elvislover324
04-10-2013, 03:50 PM
OH Elvis that is so awesome!!! I am so happy that you have stuck with it! I am struggling with it at the moment, but I will get there. :) Keep it up, you are kicking @ss!

Thank you, thank you!! Trust me when I say it's not easy!! But I'm so determined and literally pray that I can do it!! I'm starting to think I can conquer anything in life now. Seriously, if I can become a runner, it will be beyond my wildest dreams!

Sorry you are struggling, but you are right, you will get there. :hug: I think the only reason I'm ok is I have been walking 3-5 miles a day for the past 6 months or so. I know it's different muscles, etc. but I think it made all the difference. I can't wait to celebrate your c25k milestones with you!!

Silverfire
04-10-2013, 04:22 PM
Oh yeah, all that walking I am sure makes a huge difference!!

I got halfway through and got a side stitch and got all dizzy. I think I need to eat a little bit before I try jogging :) Friday I will make it though! I signed up for a walk/run in may that I would like to not come in last for lol! Plus a color run in September that I want to actually RUN in! I am motivated, but my body seems to be resisting a little :( I will show it who's the boss though :lol:

Sanveann
04-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Congrats!!! It's amazing how this program really helps transform you into a runner, isn't it?!

I did this a few years ago and lost 30 pounds over the summer (then I got lazy, then pregnant!). Hoping to start it again soon.

elvislover324
04-10-2013, 05:26 PM
Oh yeah, all that walking I am sure makes a huge difference!!

I got halfway through and got a side stitch and got all dizzy. I think I need to eat a little bit before I try jogging :) Friday I will make it though! I signed up for a walk/run in may that I would like to not come in last for lol! Plus a color run in September that I want to actually RUN in! I am motivated, but my body seems to be resisting a little :( I will show it who's the boss though :lol:

Just be careful with yourself, we don't want a hurt silverfire around here!! I sincerely believe our bodies tell us when it's panic time (like your dizziness and pain) and we have to trust our body! I know you know this already. :)

Congrats!!! It's amazing how this program really helps transform you into a runner, isn't it?!

I did this a few years ago and lost 30 pounds over the summer (then I got lazy, then pregnant!). Hoping to start it again soon.

Sanveann, I can't even believe it. I couldn't have run to the house next door with my pants on fire, nevermind for 3 minutes straight! I think this program is calling out my self-confidence that I never had before and I'm so happy to be able to answer! :carrot:

Sanveann
04-10-2013, 08:03 PM
Sanveann, I can't even believe it. I couldn't have run to the house next door with my pants on fire, nevermind for 3 minutes straight! I think this program is calling out my self-confidence that I never had before and I'm so happy to be able to answer! :carrot:

Same here! I was of the firm opinion for 30-plus years that I just could not run and did not. (Being rather overly well-endowed didn't help with that!) So it blew my mind when, after I few weeks, I was RUNNING!

Lecomtes
04-10-2013, 08:30 PM
WAY TO GO ELVIS! I did the first day of C25K a few weeks ago and it was TOUGH! Confession: I totally supported my weight on the tradmill handrails towards the end! You rock!

elvislover324
04-10-2013, 09:07 PM
(Being rather overly well-endowed didn't help with that!)

LMAO I made the mistake last week thinking I could run without my sports bra (just wore my regular one), I won't be doing that again! I could have had 2 black eyes!

WAY TO GO ELVIS! I did the first day of C25K a few weeks ago and it was TOUGH! Confession: I totally supported my weight on the tradmill handrails towards the end! You rock!

Thanks Lecomtes!! Awesome doing your first day!! I think the only reason I have been plugging along ok is that I got my walking tolerance up so high already over the last few months. So while I'm out of breath into the 3 minute runs, I can still handle it ok for now. Who knows what next week will bring?! And handrails are ok!! You'll get there!!

Changergirl
04-11-2013, 04:40 AM
Can I join in?? I last ran Saturday and I did w3d3. I took this week off. Probably not my best decision, but I needed a mental health week! My plan is to do W4D1 Saturday morning. Hopefully the week off won't kill me as, I had some difficulty with the last one, though I did finish it all.

elvislover324
04-11-2013, 07:46 AM
Of course Changergirl!!! I'm doing W3D3 tomorrow so week 4 will start Monday. That will put us on almost the exact same schedule! I heard it gets harder from here but I'm not looking ahead. I just do whatever the voice on the app tells me LOL!

Angelic Fruitcake
04-11-2013, 04:54 PM
I did W3D1 today, even though i had ran yesterday. I usually run every other day but we're getting a snow storm (!!!) tomorrow and then rain all weekend so who knows when I'll be able to run next.

Week 3 is HARD!!! I was doing ok on Week 2 with the 90 seconds runs, but those 3 minutes ones were tough. Plus I have a cold and I was running with the jogging stroller so it made it harder. But I'm proud to say I ran the whole time I had to run. I'm hoping I'll be able to run again on Sunday or Monday but I may repeat W3D1.

elvislover324
04-11-2013, 04:58 PM
Awesome Angelic Fruitcake!!! Hope you feel better soon! And I admire you doing this with a stroller, I can't imagine that!!

nitrus29
04-11-2013, 06:53 PM
I've started the 30 day shred. I think I am gonna wait a bit to kick start C25K !!
Though being able to run is my ultimate goal ;)

Changergirl
04-11-2013, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the welcome Elvis. It's probably smart that you aren't looking ahead. I have and it does not look pretty. I won't ruin the surprise for you though!!! It'll be nice to have somebody right around the same place as me. I was running Saturday, Monday and Wednesdays. If I go out of time my Saturday run moves to Friday.

Angelic Fruitcake- Week 3 definitely is hard. It doesn't seem fair that they double the length of the runs. By far it's the largest percentage increase, though clearly not time wise. Trust me though, if I could do it, you can too.

elvislover324
04-12-2013, 02:38 PM
You ladies are awesome!! Nitrus, I'd love to do the 30DS but I'm afraid Jillian will kill me LOL!! Changergirl, it's going to be great almost on the same schedule!!

Day 3 of Week 3 is complete as of this afternoon!! 3 weeks down, 6 weeks to go!! I'm so excited!! :carrot::carrot::carrot:

Angelic Fruitcake
04-12-2013, 03:05 PM
Angelic Fruitcake- Week 3 definitely is hard. It doesn't seem fair that they double the length of the runs. By far it's the largest percentage increase, though clearly not time wise. Trust me though, if I could do it, you can too.

Thanks for the encouragement!

You ladies are awesome!! Nitrus, I'd love to do the 30DS but I'm afraid Jillian will kill me LOL!! Changergirl, it's going to be great almost on the same schedule!!

Day 3 of Week 3 is complete as of this afternoon!! 3 weeks down, 6 weeks to go!! I'm so excited!! :carrot::carrot::carrot:

Woohoo Elvis!!! Can you believe you'll be running 5k in six weeks, woohoo!

Changergirl
04-12-2013, 11:46 PM
elvis- I'd recommend trying 30DS. I liked it, at least the first level. It was tough, but I definitely felt that I was getting toned. Unfortunately my downstairs neighbours weren't happy with the jumping so I've incorporated strength training in a different way.

Now onto the bad news. I attempted to do W4D1 this morning and it was absolutely terrible. I now remember why I have never got to week 5! I barely made it through the first run, could only do 3 minutes of the second run, and when it came time for the 3rd one I couldn't get going and quit. I guess the only good thing is that I run away from my house and then at the halfway point I turn around so I still had to the same distance. I ended up going 3.4km, which is my farthest distance so far, although I only ran for 6 minutes. I was disappointed but not surprised, as it had been over a week since my last one. I think Monday I'm going to go back to W3D3 just to get some more confidence before moving onto W4D1 next Wednesday.

basementcat
04-14-2013, 08:59 AM
Hello everyone! I'd like to join you here and discuss C25k! (the other thread is dead :( )
Tomorrow will be W2D1 for me - I run very, very slowly per recommendation of other c25k-ers. I hope i can make a full 90 s run! I am heavy (high 170s) and kind of out of shape ( I do exercise almost daily, but its been only a couple of months). I have been at a weight plateau for almost an year - going slightly back and forth from my current weight - and I really need to start loosing again! I thought I looked good after a 30 pound weight loss, but nope - progress pictures scared me to death :(
Anyway, good luck to everybody with their exercise routine and c25k!

elvislover324
04-14-2013, 09:45 AM
Welcome basementcat!! Good luck starting W2D1 tomorrow!! I run/walk really slow too but I'm trying to build up my stamina running vs. getting anywhere quick! I do 3.0 for the walk part and 3.8 for the run/jog. I don't want to increase it now that I'm in my groove. Can't wait to read your updates! We have a good little group here. :)

Boo changergirl!! Is there any time you can do the 30ds that your neighbors aren't around?? That stinks. :(
I'm going to attempt Week 4 Day 1 tomorrow, I'm getting nervous! Like I wrote above, I don't run very fast but it's the constant time (esp. now that it's getting higher every week!) that I'm nervous about. I figure, I'll try it and do as best I can and then go from there. :) I might be back on week 3 with you!

Hope you have a wonderful day, ladies! This thread makes me so happy with all us runners here!! :running::running::running::running::running:

tawnyalee
04-14-2013, 01:50 PM
Hey there!! I did the 1st day of c25k yesterday too and I was s proud. I excited to do day 2. It does suck especially because I don't care for working out but when I was done I was areally proud and motivate to do it again. I can already tell thought that as time goes on I will have to repeat days
Congrats!!

Changergirl
04-14-2013, 09:27 PM
Yay! I'm excited there are more people here. Good Job basementcat and tawnyalee!!!

basementcat- I'm right around the same weight as you, 178.4 as of this morning, which is actually the lowest weight I've probably been since middle school, however I am still superbly out of shape. C25K is a lot harder than I was hoping it would be at this lower weight.

elvis- Good luck with W4, I really hope you can get it done. Because I live in Korea there is a huge language barrier with my neighbours, I tried to swap out the jumping moves for other cardio and it was fine for level one but it got to be too difficult in level 2. Instead I do C25K and pedalling for my cardio and I've incorporated other strength training into my weekly schedule. It's nice because every day is something different.

Now more bad news for me. I really do think I'm cursed and I'm not supposed to finish this program! Yesterday my fiance and I went out to play tennis and I somehow rolled my ankle/foot. I was fine for the first 2-3 hours afterwards but after sitting down and not being on it for about an hour I was in excruciating pain. I took some medicine and went to bed and this morning it feels a lot better- I can walk on it! I'm still going to go out tonight and try to run but if I feel any pain I'm going to have to stop. It really sucks because I have such a small window before it's going to get too hot to run outside.

MSEMDEE
04-14-2013, 11:30 PM
Just want to jump in ans ay Hi!
I have been lurking for quite a while and finally made the decision to join the run. I just finished W3D3 and am looking forward to week 4. I am moving very slowly but I just want to get this right and stay strong. I have yet to repeat any weeks but with the recent discussion I think this could be the week of repeats!
I look forward to "running" with you!

basementcat
04-15-2013, 02:24 AM
Hello everyone! Thanks for the warm welcoming!
I just finished the W2D1 run! 5 minutes into the run it started raining, but I decided I wanted to see if i could run 6 x 90 seconds! It was great and wet and since i didn't hear the cool down announcement i ended up running half way through the cool down! :carrot: Looking forward to my next run!

Changergirl
04-15-2013, 07:35 AM
Good luck with W4 MSEMDEE! I hope you do better with it than I have.

basementcat- that is awesome, you ran a W4 length, you should have no problem getting here!

I redid W3D3 just now. I finished it, my foot doesn't seem to bother me running so that's good. I didn't want to have to give this up. I did have brutal stomach cramps throughout the entire last two runs, but I powered through. I blame my fiancÚ who decided to run with me. I felt pressured to walk and run much faster than I'm used to and I think those first 10 minutes hurt me in the long run. I'm really hoping I can get through W4D1 on Wednesday, and I hope you conquer it today Elvis!

basementcat
04-15-2013, 07:55 AM
Changergirl, thank you! I took my bf running with me for d3 of w1 and... he run faster than me and never struggled, even though he hasn't run before and he didn't even drink water or have breakfast beforehand :mad: I knew this would happen and just kept my own pace and i am not bringing him along again! I actually enjoy the solitary feeling of running around and thinking about everything and nothing.:dizzy:

elvislover324
04-15-2013, 04:01 PM
Woweee, look at all the posts here!!!

I'm so glad this thread has taken off and we are all doing well! But changergirl, please take care of yourself!!! Don't make your ankle worse!! We need you on our "running team" here!!

Completed W4 D1 today, wow what a difference!! Those 5 minutes seem like they are 10x longer than the 3 minutes LOL!!

I just kept telling myself that I could always walk if I had to, but I didn't have to. My left thigh muscles and my right butt area muscles were a little sore while I was running but not enough to make me stop.

Just remember that I do it on a treadmill so it's easier than you ladies doing the ground running (I envy you!) and I'm only running/jogging at 3.8mph so if it seems easy for me, I made it easy for me. :) I can't run as fast as some of you are but I admire you fast ones!!

This thread makes me happy. I had a rough day today and in the past, I would have self-medicated my sad feelings with food and drink. Instead I hopped on my treadmill and pounded it out. What a difference in my life and now I get to share it all with you!! So happy!

Changergirl
04-16-2013, 03:10 AM
basementcat- I'm glad you can relate with the boy running thing. Gah it sucks because he is 75 pounds heavier than me, hasn't exercised in 3 months and boom his first day running again and it was so much easier for him than me. Oh well, I know to never take him again, I definitely prefer running alone.

Congrats Elvis, I'm so glad you finished, you should be so proud of yourself. You are going to push me to try as hard as possible to finish W4D1 tomorrow. And don't worry about me and my foot, it's still a bit sore but running doesn't bother it at all. I have no idea what I did to it!

Angelic Fruitcake
04-16-2013, 07:52 AM
After four days off due to bad weather, I redid W3D1 yesterday, with a special thought for the Boston runners and those who were there supporting them.

It went pretty well. I like running so much more when I don't have the stroller!

dehtripper
04-16-2013, 01:11 PM
Hey all!! Great to see so many others liking this plan. Running has always baffled and scared the tar outta me but I actually look forward to it now. I'm doing the treadmill version since its quick at accessible form work, but at least it makes pacing easier. I just finished W5D3 and am sooo happy - made it through the full 20mins at 6.0 non-stop and walking at 4.0 :)

elvislover324
04-16-2013, 01:41 PM
Changergirl, W4D1 wasn't as bad as I was thinking it was going to be. I hope you do ok today!

Welcome dehtripper!! Awesome finishing through week 5!!! There is no way I can run or walk as fast as you, OMG!! Congrats!!!!

I figure I'll do this 9 weeks at the 3.0 and 3.8 I have been doing just to get through the program and build up my time stamina. Then after the 9 weeks, I'll work on my speed. I can't even believe I made it this far. After I do W4D2 tomorrow, I'll be more than halfway through the whole program!

basementcat
04-17-2013, 05:46 AM
Hey there running girls!
Today was my W2D2 run - and I struggled with speed and breathing. When I checked my HR/pace graph it showed me that I started too strong in my first two 90s runs and after that kept a more even HR/pace. Today was my longest run/walk! Surprisingly - almost 3k including WU and CD. And longest run distance - 300m.
I think I did so great on my previous run because I was rested and today i was sore and pretty beat up after two days of 30 day shred and it diffidently showed.
How are you guys doing? :hug:

elvislover324
04-17-2013, 06:48 AM
Basementcat, you are awesome!! You inspire me so much doing both programs at the same time.

Yay for a thumbs up, Changergirl!!!

I read last night (I wish I saved the link) that running slower to start is better for our bodies. We should be able to carry on a conversation fairly easily while running--that's how to measure if we are going too fast. I'll try to find the link later as I'm posting from my phone right now.

Day 2 of Week 4 for me today! I get so excited!!

I'm sitting at the hospital waiting for my doctors appointment and saw some runners go by. I told my husband "I'm a runner too, ya know?" He just laughed at me (in a fun way!!). I always say "Cuz I'm a runner now!!!"

Hope you all have a wonderful day! I'll post back this afternoon after my run. Cuz I'm a runner now!!! :)

Changergirl
04-17-2013, 07:00 AM
Good job Basementcat, even if you struggled you did it and in the long run that's all that matters. Things like controlling your speed and breathing will come with practice.

I did W4D1 today and I finished it!!! I'm so proud of myself. Today was sport's day at school and I think all the kids, teachers and parents running around motivated me to do it. There was a Teachers vs. Parents relay race and I was not asked to participate, I'm sure because they thought I'd be too slow. That and the fact they were changing pants and I'm not sure the pants would have fit me! Anyway because it was Sport's Day I got to go home early so I ran early which I think helped me, usually I do it after dinner and I don't think I give myself enough time (because I don't have enough) to let my food settle. I also followed Elvis and ran slower. By the end my entire body was tired and I would not have been able to run a second more but I did it! I knew I worked hard and looked like **** when an old lady waiting for her bus started talking to me in Korean and then gave me a thumbs up, she seemed proud of me.

basementcat
04-17-2013, 07:35 AM
elvislover324, thank you! I am so envious you are already on W4 with Changergirl!
I am soo curious to see if i can handle longer tougher runs, so I cant wait to try it!
Changergirl, i think you should have competed only to show them what a hidden gem you are!
Off topic - about pants not being able to fir you Changergirl - in vet school me and my friend decided on a whim once to go to a lab exercise, but we both didn't have our scrubs with us and we were both heavy girls. So we found the biggest 1st year students we could and asked to borrow theirs. And we barely fit in their scrubs and I was too afraid to even sit (of fear to tear them open in the butt area ^^) !

Angelic Fruitcake
04-17-2013, 10:57 AM
Hello runners!

Just wanted to shout a big woohoo! to everyone! I'm so happy to have found other people who are doing it with me, even if we're not all at the same point in the program.

I'll be doing W3D2 later today. The weather is beautiful today so it should be fun, even though I'll have the stroller so it will be harder.

elvislover324
04-17-2013, 11:46 AM
These posts got mixed up again with the 3FC blips in time!!

I am finally home but I have to wait to do my running, I got a pedicure after my doctor's appointment and don't want to mess up my fancy feet!!!

But I'm itching to go do it!!!

I agree, Angelic Fruitcake, we are all on our own schedule but we are in this together!!! This thread is seriously one of the best ones I have ever been a part of. I love to see when there is an update even if it's just one of us checking in!!

elvislover324
04-17-2013, 01:18 PM
W4D2 complete, cuz I'm a runner!!! :running::running::running:

Felt awesome today and pedicure is intact!!

I will admit though, the last minute of the last 5 minutes when she came on to say "one minute left" I was so hoping it was the chime to go back to walking!!! I try not to watch the clock, I just go by the prompts.

And today for whatever reason I checked the distance on my treadmill to see what I actually walk/run, it's only 1.81 at this point!! So I do have a ways to go to be able to do the distance part of a 5k but baby steps, right?

junebug37
04-17-2013, 03:06 PM
elvislover324 When I saw this post for the first tim today I got excited! I started my C25K this morning!!!

You are right about the feeling of accomplishment when finishing this!! I felt great!! Keep going everyone! I'm doing W1D2 on Friday!!! :)

So great to see so much progress everyone!!

elvislover324
04-17-2013, 03:32 PM
elvislover324 When I saw this post for the first tim today I got excited! I started my C25K this morning!!!

You are right about the feeling of accomplishment when finishing this!! I felt great!! Keep going everyone! I'm doing W1D2 on Friday!!! :)

So great to see so much progress everyone!!

Welcome junebug!!! We have a good little group going on here, we are happy to have you!! We are all pretty much on different schedules but close enough to commiserate with each other!! I hope you check in with us often!

Angelic Fruitcake
04-17-2013, 03:33 PM
W3D2 is done!

It's funny how so far, every week has gone like this:

Day 1: omg this is so hard, I'm gonna have to repeat this week next week for sure!
Day 2: You know what, this is not so bad. I think I actually can do this.
Day 3: Weee! I'm doing this! I'm soooo ready for next week!

:D

elvislover324
04-17-2013, 03:37 PM
W3D2 is done!

It's funny how so far, every week has gone like this:

Day 1: omg this is so hard, I'm gonna have to repeat this week next week for sure!
Day 2: You know what, this is not so bad. I think I actually can do this.
Day 3: Weee! I'm doing this! I'm soooo ready for next week!

:D

LOL so true!!! Congrats on getting today done!!

basementcat
04-18-2013, 10:17 AM
:(:(:( Today was my off day from exercise and I dropped my smart phone in water (in the toilet actually)!!! And now it doesn't work and my C25K is on it and i am supposed to run tomorrow :(
I will probably go running without the help of the mobile app. and just use my last route, because i know how long it is and i remember by which landmarks i was running and where i was walking but :( my phone is probably ruined!
Just wanted to vent a little :sorry:

elvislover324
04-18-2013, 10:25 AM
:(:(:( Today was my off day from exercise and I dropped my smart phone in water (in the toilet actually)!!! And now it doesn't work and my C25K is on it and i am supposed to run tomorrow :(
I will probably go running without the help of the mobile app. and just use my last route, because i know how long it is and i remember by which landmarks i was running and where i was walking but :( my phone is probably ruined!
Just wanted to vent a little :sorry:

OMG basementcat. :hug: I'm so sorry that happened to you!!! My husband dropped his phone in the toilet before too but I swear he did it so he could get a new one, brat!

I dropped my iphone a couple of years ago and smashed the screen so bad there was gooey gel type stuff oozing out of it, cost almost $150 to fix it. I cried for days, I love my phone. I'm so sorry you have to go through all this. Run as best as you can, there is nothing you can do. What a bummer. Hope the day gets better for you.

Psychic
04-18-2013, 10:39 AM
I'm hoping to start Couch to 5K this Sunday. I bought myself some new shoes and everything. I'll be downloading the app soon. I'll probably start the first couple of weeks on the treadmill and then work myself outside once I work up some stamina.

basementcat - I know this sounds crazy, but take your battery out of your phone and then put both the battery and the phone in a ziploc full of dry rice or oats. Let it sit for a day or two. With any luck, your phone will work again.

basementcat
04-18-2013, 10:45 AM
elvislover324, thank you. Getting a new smart phone out of this is about the only good thing that could happen. I must admit i tried to switch it on so i probably short circuited it:(
Psychic - i put in a box full of rice and i am praying it works again in a few days, but i am already looking into options for a new phone :sorry:

elvislover324
04-18-2013, 10:49 AM
I'm hoping to start Couch to 5K this Sunday. I bought myself some new shoes and everything. I'll be downloading the app soon. I'll probably start the first couple of weeks on the treadmill and then work myself outside once I work up some stamina.

basementcat - I know this sounds crazy, but take your battery out of your phone and then put both the battery and the phone in a ziploc full of dry rice or oats. Let it sit for a day or two. With any luck, your phone will work again.

Awesome, psychic!! I hope you do start and let us know how you do. It's actually not as hard as I thought it was going to be but I had myself so worked up that I could never do something this hard. I'm taking it easy and doing the best I can and I'm loving it!!! I hope you do too!

I heard that about rice too but I didn't want basementcat to think I was crazy!! :D

basementcat
04-18-2013, 11:21 AM
Oh come on now, how can i judge anybody when i just announced my phone dropped into the toilet bowl? :dizzy: I was embarrassed to share that part but figured i'd get better help if i admit it :o
You know i cried because i thought i lost all my running data? I am SO looking forward to running and getting better at it and when my phone died i just balled my eyes out but then decided i would go out anyway! That`s how addictive and awesome it is to feel fit and strong!

Angelic Fruitcake
04-18-2013, 11:31 AM
A few of my friends have done the rice trick and it worked for them so hopefully it'll work for you basementcat! I'd be sad to lose my running data too!

Psychic: Welcome! C25K is a lot of fun!

Today is a non running day, booo! I hope the weather will allow me to go tomorrow!

Psychic
04-18-2013, 12:21 PM
basementcat - Good luck with your phone. Hopefully you can salvage it. I dropped my phone in a pool and I was able to save mine with dry oats. Even

elvislover324 - I'm hoping I'm able to stick with it. I'm afraid of failing and I really want to get into the habit of running daily.

Hlthgrl
04-18-2013, 04:05 PM
I love this thread. I declared about two years ago that I was going to start the C25K program. I got professionally fitted for good running shoes, had my app ready and...didn't do much more :( Two weeks ago I started a running club. It's a learn to run 5k program similar to using the C25K but it's with a group one day a week then two solo runs. Although it is going well so far (the group run keeps me motivated to do my own) I'm having a hard time visualizing myself ever doing 5k. Reading about other peoples successes is very helpful and motivating.

Thanks!!!!

elvislover324
04-19-2013, 08:55 AM
Welcome Hlthgrl! That running club sounds awesome, I hope you post your progress. We can motivate you too here!!

:carrot::carrot:Week 4 Day 3 is complete!!! 4 weeks down, 5 to go!!:carrot::carrot:

Today's workout was done as soon as I got out of bed. I was about halfway through before I even knew I was awake. :) Today was a tough run but I think it's because I walked so much yesterday. But it was great!! I think I liked doing it on an empty stomach better than when I do afternoon or evening sessions but sometimes that's out of my control.

Hope you all have a great Friday!!

basementcat
04-19-2013, 12:52 PM
elvislover324 - you are fabulous! I can't wait to be able to run W4 too!

Angelic Fruitcake
04-19-2013, 03:23 PM
I just finished W3!!! W4 here I come!

Elvis: Good luck with W5! I think it's the week that scares me the most!

Hlthgrl
04-19-2013, 06:20 PM
Thanks elvis! I'm really enjoying the club so far. It's challenging but I'm enjoying the challenge this time around.

Do you all do other exercise on your non-run days? Currently I walk each day and then run on run days but I am looking for more without overdoing it. I feel like I'm missing out on strength training. I was considering doing arms on run days and legs and abs on non-run days. Does anyone have any experience with this. I'm considering this knowing that I will stop the other exercises if it interferes with running. The urge to actually complete the program is very strong right now!

basementcat
04-20-2013, 02:08 AM
Angelic Fruitcake - congrats on your progress!
Hlthgrl - I do Gillian's 30 day shred between running days ( i tried doing both on same days too but uhgg!) - i think its important to maintain weight lifting effort as well as cardiovascular effort. Also weight training really shapes the body and burns fat, while running builds endurance and stamina. So win-win! :carrot:

Angelic Fruitcake
04-21-2013, 04:51 PM
I just did Week 4 Day 1! Omg, I wanted to die after that first 3 minute stretch and then the 5 minute one was soooo hard. The second half of the workout was easier for some reason. I ran without the stroller, it helped.

I'm already excited about going back on Tuesday!

saltatoria
04-21-2013, 05:24 PM
If you want to simulate running outside, set your treadmill's incline to 1%. That's what a lot of runners do when they have to run inside. Running at 0% allows the treadmill to help propel you forward, so by setting the incline to 1%, it mimics the resistance your body will feel when running outside.

Phae
04-21-2013, 06:03 PM
Hi all,
I just started the C25K program today - did week 1, day 1. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, though I did go quite slowly because I am NOT used to running/jogging. The app is very helpful! I love that I can put my music on it and the voice will come over the music. (It's rubbish at shuffling though - played the same song 4 times!)

I hope to keep this up, as I've always wanted to be a runner and would love to say that I did a 5K.

elvislover324
04-21-2013, 08:10 PM
Welcome Phae! I thought Week 1 was easier too than I was expecting. I am loving this program, so happy you started it too!

LOL Angelic, Day 1 of week 4 almost killed me too lmao!! But I made it and so will you!! I will admit I am petrified for tomorrow though starting Week 5!

Hlthgrl, I do all the same exercise I did prior to starting C25K so this training is like extra credit. I walk 30-45 mins a day or ride my bike or do a Leslie Sansone video every day. I am dying to start the 30 Day Shred but I don't want to hurt myself (!!) doing it and then not be able to do anything. Jillian scares me!!

I checked out The Biggest Loser Yoga for Weightloss from the library yesterday so I'm going to try that tomorrow night after doing W5D1 of C25K assuming it doesn't kill me. :)

Angelic Fruitcake
04-21-2013, 11:14 PM
I just wanted to give you all a little encouragement and some inspiration.

One of my good friends started Couch to 5k last May (as well as Weight Watchers). She was a true couch potato and did no exercise at all prior to that. She told me she had to repeat week 1 five times before she was able to move on to week 2.

Almost a year later, she has lost 95 lbs and is currently training for a half-marathon. She just posted on Facebook earlier today that she went for a 15 km run this afternoon.

We can do it! We are runners, working on becoming even better runners!

Changergirl
04-22-2013, 07:45 AM
Wow, there are lots of new people in here. That is awesome. I left Friday night for the weekend and really planned on doing a run while away, however when I woke up Saturday morning it was snowing! Yup, it's almost May and there was 4 inches of snow accumulated, ridiculous, though it was halfway up a mountain!

Anyway I decided that since I haven't been consistent with my running I'd restart week 4. I just finished W4D1 again, I did it much slower than last time, which I didn't even think was possible but it went really well. I'm looking forward to finally getting through this week.

basementcat
04-22-2013, 09:50 AM
Hey girls! I got a new phone! So back to running!
I was wondering - do you guys run while on your period? My cramps are really strong an i try not to medicate myself so ugh running and exercising is a horror and i just take a couple of days off. How do you manage it?

Psychic
04-22-2013, 09:58 AM
I did Week 1, Day 1 yesterday. I will likely repeat week 1 because I'm so out of shape. I did it on the treadmill, so warmup/cooldown was 2.5 mph, walking was 3.0 mph, and jogging was 4.2 mph. I'm too out of shape to keep up right now, but I'll keep trying.

Angelic Fruitcake
04-22-2013, 11:37 AM
Psychic: On the first day of every week, I always think I'm going to have to repeat that week because it's so hard, but by Day three, it becomes much easier and I'm ready for the next. Repeat the week if you have to of course, but you may feel ready for week 2 when you're done with the first week!

Basementcat: My period cramps aren't too bad now that I'm no longer on birth control pills. And I'm not opposed to medicating if they ever get really bad again. I haven't had to stop running that time of the month. But if the cramps are too bad, take a break for a few days! I took four days off a couple of weeks ago because of the weather and I was fine when I started again.

elvislover324
04-22-2013, 01:41 PM
Looking good ladies, you all inspire me so much!

basementcat: I just got my TOM last week for the first time since June (because of meds) and while it was awful, I still made it through somehow. But I run at home so if I had to stop, I could. I'm not sure what I would do if I was outside/away from home.

Psychic, you are doing awesome! I'll never win any races because I walk at 3.0 and run/jog at 3.8. I'm trying to build up my endurance in my body and my breathing so right now I'm just trying to get through the days and complete the 9 weeks. Then I will concentrate on getting my speed/time improved. I think you are doing great.

Awesome updates, changergirl and angelic fruitcake.

I'm doing W5D1 today. Will report back assuming I survive it. :)

elvislover324
04-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Week 5 Day 1 complete. OMG that was the hardest one yet. I heard my knee crack when I was kneeling in church yesterday and didn't think anything of it until today, owwwww!!! But I made it. I just keep praying to make it to the end and somehow I do.

I have to say that my favorite parts are when she says "You are halfway through" and "One minute left"----is that a bad thing? :D

Loving this program still, so happy we are all doing it.

I'm having a cranky day today but you all inspired me to stay on schedule and get it done. Now I'm glad I did. Thank you for being here.

basementcat
04-23-2013, 02:38 AM
elvislover324 Congrats! W5D1 wow! Please, please take care of your knee though! No injuries allowed!
Today I did W3D1 and it was great - didn't struggle at all with speed, distance or breathing :carrot: Of course this was after a full two-day rest (during my TOM) but i am hoping i will be able to keep it up with the other runs too.
On another note, i will skip W4 because i will be vacationing abroad for a week :carrot: I hope this doesn't hinder me too much when i come back home and resume running.

elvislover324
04-23-2013, 11:16 AM
Awesome basementcat!!! I read online that you can do this program at your own pace and repeat any weeks that you feel necessary (there is no requirement to get it done in the 9 weeks). And your vacation abroad reference made me insanely jealous!! That's next week?!!?

And I will be careful with my knee!! If I hurt my knee, I can't exercise at all!! It feels better today, it must just have been the way I moved it. But I will move with caution. :)

Hope all my fellow runners are having a good day!!

Angelic Fruitcake
04-23-2013, 03:30 PM
Finished W4D2 with the jogging stroller. It went really well until the last 5 minutes. My legs felt soooooo heavy! But I did it! Looking forward to Day 3 on Thursday!

MSEMDEE
04-24-2013, 12:33 AM
Finished a second W5D1 on Monday. I am insanely scared to move on to D2 tomorrow. I am so afraid to fail.
I have not lost any weight since I started running but my legs and butt have firmed up super quickly, that I like.
Anyway, here is to giving it my best tomorrow! YIKES!!!!

Changergirl
04-24-2013, 05:43 AM
MSEMDEE- congrats on making it to week 5 and don't worry about 'failing' just keep at it and one day you'll succeed. Also I was with you about not losing weight since I started running, it took about 4 weeks (till yesterday) and I finally saw a 2 pound drop! And yay for firmer legs and butt!

I'm going out for W4D2 in a little bit so I'll come back to report when/if I finish!

**EDIT** W4D2 FINISHED!

OMG it sucked. Even after the first 3 minute 'warm up' run I was exhausted. I'm not sure if it was because I decided to go out before dinner so I didn't have as much energy but it was by far my worse run, minus the one I quit halfway through. My pace was much slower than Monday (and every other run) and my total distance was less. On Friday I'm going to make sure I run after dinner to see if that makes a difference.

elvislover324
04-24-2013, 09:18 AM
Just did Week 5 Day 2, OMG OMG OMG OMG. I try not to read what the lesson is before I do it so I don't have time to worry about it. Thank God I didn't read it today!! My legs were like jello by the time I was done! It was the hardest yet.

And now I stupidly (!!) read the lesson for Friday and OMG OMG OMG OMG, not sure I'm going to be able to do it!! Week 5 really ramps it up!!

I hope I see some weightloss soon. I didn't lose this week and was really upset about it. I think between TOM and now the extra work I'm doing with this, maybe it's stalling me some.

Good job, angelic fruitcake!! I still can't believe you do it with a stroller. But then sometimes I wish I had a stroller to lean on so I don't fall on my face!

Yay msemdee! I have the same thoughts you do with weight and week 5! As you can see I did day 2 of week 5 this morning. And I'll say it again, OMG OMG OMG! I'm dying to read what you thought of it!

You are awesome for finishing, changergirl, even though you were exhausted! I realized I do better on my empty stomach than when I have eaten. I don't feel as full and/or pudgy in my stomach. :) I'd say experiment and see what is best for you. And remember, it doesn't matter how fast that you went. It's more important that you finished it!!

Angelic Fruitcake
04-24-2013, 09:40 AM
Elvis Week 5 is so scary, especially Day 3! But think about how proud you'll be when it's done!

basementcat
04-24-2013, 10:25 AM
You guys! All of you are doing great - even if you cant finish a run, don't give up and give it a try again! You gotta have a can-do attitude! :hug:
I cant wait until W5D3 to test myself! I believe elvislover324 will do great and then brag to us here! :D

elvislover324
04-24-2013, 10:31 AM
angelic---I'll be proud assuming I survive!!! And basementcat, you have way too much faith in me thinking I will do great!! The only thing I will be bragging about is that I'm still alive (hopefully!!).

You ladies keep me so inspired to keep at this. I appreciate you all so much.:grouphug:

I'm doing a 3 mile Leslie Sansone video in a little bit. That means my exercise for the day is done and I can wear regular clothes the rest of the day! :carrot:

basementcat
04-24-2013, 12:50 PM
OFFTOPIC I *love* my spandex clothes! They make me feel slim and toned, and then when I remove them :(

elvislover324
04-24-2013, 12:55 PM
Silly basementcat, don't take them off! :D

Psychic
04-24-2013, 02:45 PM
I'll be doing W1D2 tonight once I get home. :)

elvislover324
04-24-2013, 02:58 PM
Good luck, psychic!

~~~~~~~
This is just a random note while I'm thinking of it, not to anyone personal (more of a reference in case anyone searches for C25K help). :)

The only advice I have for anyone starting this training now that I'm half way through the 9 weeks (can't even believe it!) is to take each week as it comes and follow it as best you can or do less than it wants. I read on other sites about people doing it every single day or skipping days of a week as they feel it's too easy so they want to push themselves. I think I'm making such good progress because I believed in the training and reviews I read. My body feels stronger every week and I can't believe what I have been capable of. If you told me yesterday that today I would run 8 minutes straight and have to do it twice, I might have stayed in bed under the covers all day. :)

junebug37
04-24-2013, 05:01 PM
hi all you runners out there! I haven't posted here since the first day I saw the thread! And it took me a week to get back to the gym to do W1D2 but I finished it Monday! I didn't get a stitch in my side this time :)

But I do have a question and I can't find the right place to start a new thread in the general areas so maybe someone here can help me.
Does anyone have any tips for more energy? I can't get myself motivated between lack of sleep, housework, work at night and my children I am wiped! I don't really know whats changed but for about 2 weeks I have been in a slump and don't have any energy! I don't want to keep drinking caffeine, and a take B12 and I don't think its helping at all! HELP!

Psychic
04-25-2013, 11:08 AM
W1D2 down. I was tired, so I took it a little easier than last time. Warmup/Cooldown at 2.5 mph, walking at 2 mph, and jogging at 4 mph. My body needs sleep.

basementcat
04-25-2013, 01:41 PM
W3D2 done! Today i tried to run faster than usual and the wind went out of my sails pretty fast, but i was able to finish consistently the whole run and am looking forward to w3d3!
Psychic - you jog quite fast! You got my envy :)
junebug37 - you sure got a lot of chores and work, but what should keep you always on track is your progress - once you start and you see how you slowly but surely move forward and get better, faster, stronger you will naturally keep going, because you CAN and because the more you do it, the more results you see and the more strong you feel. I don't know if what i said makes sense to you, but that's how i keep myself going -i get pushed forward by my own progress and i want to achieve more.

Hlthgrl
04-25-2013, 04:12 PM
I love reading all of your posts. I find it very motivating. I'm doing well with running. I am pushing myself a bit more now because I realized I am capable of more than I was doing. I was getting a bit lazy and giving myself a pass. Someone told me recently that running is a mental sport and I really get it now. It's so much in your head and whether you think you can do it or not. I'm not going crazy and still following the program I'm using but I am so happy to be doing this.

Thanks for the advice on strength training while running. I hadn't worked out in a few months before starting this run club so I was nervous of adding too much too soon but I think I'll just go for it!

Question for you all...does anyone currently use a Garmin or other device like that to check their pace. I realize I'm just starting out but I plan to stick with this and am looking for reviews from people who actually use the products.

domesticbliss
04-25-2013, 05:39 PM
Congrats! It really does feel good, I completed my first day yesterday, I walked at 3.3-3.4 and ran at 5.3-5.5...
I was terrified of running, things are bouncing around, I was sure it would kill me, but I did it, and I'm looking forward to my next run, it was hard to take a day off!

Good for you! Run Forrest run! :carrot:

MSEMDEE
04-25-2013, 09:14 PM
:cheer2::cheer3::dancer:HOLY CRAP!!!!!:dancer::cheer3::cheer2:
I did it!
W5D2 is is the history books. I chickened out yesterday and found a ton of excuses not to even look at my treadmill.
Today no excuse, I did it and did not die!
Am I a runner now!!??!!
I do have a question about nutrition though. I run in the afternoon after work and am afraid that i am going to run out of oompf now that the runs are getting longer. Do you eat before you run? What do you eat? How long before your run do you eat?

elvislover324
04-25-2013, 09:28 PM
I had to do multiquotes as it was making me too dizzy to keep scrolling up and down! :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

hi all you runners out there! I haven't posted here since the first day I saw the thread! And it took me a week to get back to the gym to do W1D2 but I finished it Monday! I didn't get a stitch in my side this time :)

But I do have a question and I can't find the right place to start a new thread in the general areas so maybe someone here can help me.
Does anyone have any tips for more energy? I can't get myself motivated between lack of sleep, housework, work at night and my children I am wiped! I don't really know whats changed but for about 2 weeks I have been in a slump and don't have any energy! I don't want to keep drinking caffeine, and a take B12 and I don't think its helping at all! HELP!

Yay Junebug for completing W1D1! As far as energy, idk. Do you think it's serious enough to check your blood levels with your doctor? Now that I exercise and eat healthy, I've never slept better or had more energy. I'd do the caffeine if you have to at least a little while till you can figure this out, there is nothing worse than trying to function while tired. I know it's hard to tell but do you think you are tired (like exhausted) from extra activity or it's more like a rundown tired? I think there is a difference. :(

W1D2 down. I was tired, so I took it a little easier than last time. Warmup/Cooldown at 2.5 mph, walking at 2 mph, and jogging at 4 mph. My body needs sleep.

Great job, psychic! Easier is better from all that I read. But jogging at 4mph isn't that easy to me! Hope you got some ZZZZZZs.

W3D2 done! Today i tried to run faster than usual and the wind went out of my sails pretty fast, but i was able to finish consistently the whole run and am looking forward to w3d3!

Great job, basementcat! Don't overdo it though!

I love reading all of your posts. I find it very motivating. I'm doing well with running. I am pushing myself a bit more now because I realized I am capable of more than I was doing. I was getting a bit lazy and giving myself a pass. Someone told me recently that running is a mental sport and I really get it now. It's so much in your head and whether you think you can do it or not. I'm not going crazy and still following the program I'm using but I am so happy to be doing this.

Thanks for the advice on strength training while running. I hadn't worked out in a few months before starting this run club so I was nervous of adding too much too soon but I think I'll just go for it!

Question for you all...does anyone currently use a Garmin or other device like that to check their pace. I realize I'm just starting out but I plan to stick with this and am looking for reviews from people who actually use the products.

I'm shocked, hlthgirl, with what my body can do if I put my mind to it. I can't even believe I have made it to week 5. It's a miracle. I know Im not very fast yet but just the fact that I can mentally and physically do it is amazing. 9 months ago I couldn't walk to the house next door without breathing like an animal. I don't have a Garmin as I get too obsessed with numbers so I'm just using a treadmill now to monitor my speed. I'm sure there has to be a few threads around here about those devices.

Congrats! It really does feel good, I completed my first day yesterday, I walked at 3.3-3.4 and ran at 5.3-5.5...
I was terrified of running, things are bouncing around, I was sure it would kill me, but I did it, and I'm looking forward to my next run, it was hard to take a day off!

Good for you! Run Forrest run! :carrot:

WOW domesticbliss!! You are a speedy one!! Congrats!! LOL @ bouncing around. :)

:cheer2::cheer3::dancer:HOLY CRAP!!!!!:dancer::cheer3::cheer2:
I did it!
W5D2 is is the history books. I chickened out yesterday and found a ton of excuses not to even look at my treadmill.
Today no excuse, I did it and did not die!
Am I a runner now!!??!!
I do have a question about nutrition though. I run in the afternoon after work and am afraid that i am going to run out of oompf now that the runs are getting longer. Do you eat before you run? What do you eat? How long before your run do you eat?

MSEMDEE, you were a runner on your first day!! But I agree, w5d2 did almost kill me! I also prefer running on an empty stomach as it feels less jiggly. On the days I eat before running, it's usually about 45 mins. before so it has time to settle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am doing w5d3 tomorrow. I have a doctor's appointment in the late morning and it's about 2-2 1/2 hours to get there with traffic so I might set my alarm extra early and get it done before I go. If not, I won't be home til much later in the afternoon and I want to get it done!

elvislover324
04-26-2013, 06:53 AM
C25K W5D3 is DONE, DONE, DONE!! And omg, it was the hardest yet. But I survived.

Alarm went off at 430am. Snooze button, snooze button. Finally get up just before 5am. Put on workout clothes, drag myself to the basement for the treadmill. Nothing to eat and nothing to drink. Started warm-up walk, then the run! I try so hard not to look at the time remaining on the screen. It seemed like the first 5 minutes took 25 minutes to go by! By the end of the run, my ankle and my knee were getting sore and I started to get a stomach/side cramp. My body was definitely thinking I was insane! I was never so happy to start the cooldown walk. But I completed it and I'm so happy!! Off to make breakfast but wanted to post here real quick!

Happy Friday and Happy Running everyone!

p.s. My run/walk distance is only 1.79 miles since I run so slow but I'm sure I will be improving that in the future to get closer to a real 5K.

Kitcherella
04-26-2013, 07:48 AM
jumping in to say to everybody - Go! Go! Go!

I have graduated C25K and last Sunday I ran my first actual 5K. Totally worth it!

Keep at it!

Changergirl
04-26-2013, 08:28 AM
Kitcherella- It's nice hearing from a graduate and knowing that this program actually works and when finished a 5K is possible! Congrats.

MSEMDEE and Elvis- you two are really inspiring me. I know that if both of you have done what I'm attempting to do and at higher weights than me, that it is possible for me. And MSEMDEE, I do eat before I run. I run at night, usually about 40 minutes after I eat dinner. I haven't had a problem with stomach cramps from it and I find it gives me more energy than when I have tried to do it before dinner and not having eaten for 6 hours.

I finished week 4 today. Day 3 was by far the easiest of the week for me. My pace for the entire thing ended up being 1:20/KM faster than day 2 which is absolutely ridiculous. I really think I have to eat before I run or I just don't have the energy to go a bit faster. It was also cooler here today and the wind was helpful. I'm already getting worried about when it gets a bit warmer. I really don't want to get a gym membership just to finally be able to finish this off. I've just got to hope the strange weather here continues and it stays coolish for 5 more weeks!

Angelic Fruitcake
04-26-2013, 11:24 AM

I don't have a Garmin but the C25K app on my iPhone calculates my pace. So I know I'm really really slow!

C25K W5D3 is DONE, DONE, DONE!! And omg, it was the hardest yet. But I survived.

Omg congrats!!!! W5D3 is scaring me, I can't believe I'm supposed to be able to run 20 minutes non stop in less than a week!

p.s. My run/walk distance is only 1.79 miles since I run so slow but I'm sure I will be improving that in the future to get closer to a real 5K.

I'm only a little bit faster. I did 2.03 miles yesterday, my pace while running was 13:33 min. per mile! It doesn't help that I have super short legs! My best pace ever so far is 11:51 per mile.

I went out to do W4D3 yesterday afternoon with the jogging stroller. After the first three minutes of running I hit a wall. I just could.not.continue. I felt so bad. And then the baby started crying so I just went back home. I tried again I the evening, this time without the stroller. Again, I thought I was going to die after the first three minutes... But I pushed through it and it suddenly started to go better during the first five minute stretch. I was so proud when I finished! I'm going to try and start W5 on Saturday or Sunday.

basementcat
04-26-2013, 11:29 AM
Kitcherella Can I ask - did you happen to loose any significant amount of weight (5 lbs or more) while doing the nine weeks of c25k?
MSEMDEE I am looking forward to your w5d3 report! I think you will nail it!
elvislover324 Wow wow wow! :hug: You did it! You took a HUGE step towards mind over matter. I believe running can be classified as a mental sport (not crazy :D ), because it requires a lot of will and a lot of pushing against what your body tries to tell you (like stop and let me relax, damn you!).
Changergirl I actually am worried about the weather going bad ( in the autumn) and me not being able to go out and run. I run outside (past my old kindergarten! and my old school! and an ex-boyfriends's place :o ) I have tried running on a treadmill but i cannot pace myself, cannot find the right speed to run/jog at. Great job on week4! I'm still on week3 and i am afraid with missing one week now to go to Austria i will kind of be left behind the pack :( and wont have anyone to talk to in the final weeks:?:

Angelic Fruitcake
04-26-2013, 11:44 AM
Basementcat, I'll still be here after the 9 weeks! I know it'll take me more than 30 minutes to run the full 5k so when I'm done with week 9, I'll have to work on actually getting to 5K, and then I want to work on getting some speed. So I'll be here a while! :)

basementcat
04-26-2013, 11:50 AM
Angelic Fruitcake You overachiever! :hug: i am looking forward to it!

Angelic Fruitcake
04-26-2013, 12:08 PM
Well I have an actual 5K to run in September and I don't want to finish last!

Kitcherella
04-26-2013, 05:57 PM
basementcat - I did lose weight while on the programme even though my eating wasn't always great but I couldn't tell you how much. What I can tell you for sure is that now that I run 3 times a week (50 min each) I have lost pounds, inches and all inhibition. I proudly wear tights. (never before in my life) ;)

elvislover324
04-26-2013, 06:04 PM
I'll be here a lot longer than the 9 weeks too so no one has to leave our thread! I'm very goal oriented so I want to plan on the 9 weeks getting done. Then it's the fine-tuning to get my speed and efficiency up!

Does anyone else have sore ribs from this? My ribs are killing me today (I suck my stomach in while jogging so it was 20 minutes straight today). I feel like I got a beating!

I was thinking too, I hope this program isn't stalling my weightloss. I mean, my clothes fit so much better now but I want to see it on the scale too. But there is no way I'm quitting this program to find out. :)

basementcat
04-27-2013, 03:10 AM
Kitcherella - the tights bit motivated me more than you can imagine! Most comfortable piece of clothing anyone has ever designed!
Hey, elvislover324, i am not so sure its all that normal to have sore ribs after running? Sore abs maybe, if you suck them in real tight, but ribs? Have you bumped your ribs anywhere?:o Or maybe the weather is changing and you are feeling it in the bones? ;)

elvislover324
04-27-2013, 07:35 AM
Hey, elvislover324, i am not so sure its all that normal to have sore ribs after running? Sore abs maybe, if you suck them in real tight, but ribs? Have you bumped your ribs anywhere?:o Or maybe the weather is changing and you are feeling it in the bones? ;)

OMG I have abs under all this?! LOL yes I meant my abs. When I touch where it's sore I can feel my ribs (!!) and I typed that by mistake. These newly found bones and muscle overwhelm me sometimes!!

Angelic Fruitcake
04-27-2013, 07:45 AM
Guys, I'm thinking of doing something crazy, but I'm not sure I should.

There's a 5K in my hometown (where my mom still lives) mid-June and I'm thinking of signing up. The 5K I've been training for is in September and it seems so far away. But I'm scared I won't be ready in June. I'm pretty confident I'll be able to run 5K by then, but I'm sure I'll still be painfully slow. I checked last year's results and the slowest in the 30-39 age group came in at 48:30 and I'm not sure I'll be able to go faster than that! I know it shouldn't be important, I should just be proud of finishing, but I don't want to finish last!

On the other hand, training for something in June would be very exciting and motivating I think... I don't know.

basementcat
04-27-2013, 08:19 AM
elvislover324 - maybe that's the feeling of getting your abs nice and toned? I wouldn't know :D
Angelic Fruitcake I think you should go for it! With such a short period of time to train for it, you will be a hero even if you finish last, so go go! :carrot:

Psychic
04-27-2013, 09:39 AM
elvislover324 - 4 mph gets my heart pounding and I probably couldn't do it longer than the minute required in week one. But as long as I'm walking slowly in between I seem to be okay.

Going to do W1D3 later today.

Hlthgrl
04-28-2013, 03:29 PM

There's a 5K in my hometown (where my mom still lives) mid-June and I'm thinking of signing up. The 5K I've been training for is in September and it seems so far away. But I'm scared I won't be ready in June. I'm pretty confident I'll be able to run 5K by then, but I'm sure I'll still be painfully slow. I checked last year's results and the slowest in the 30-39 age group came in at 48:30 and I'm not sure I'll be able to go faster than that! I know it shouldn't be important, I should just be proud of finishing, but I don't want to finish last!

On the other hand, training for something in June would be very exciting and motivating I think... I don't know.

Do it!!!! You know you can! Before I started the running program I'm in I had already committed to doing several 5k races over the summer and into the fall. It's helping me stick with it.

elvislover324
04-28-2013, 03:35 PM

I say do it!! I think you posting here and considering it means that you really want to do it. :)

elvislover324 - maybe that's the feeling of getting your abs nice and toned? I wouldn't know :D

LMAO, maybe that's why I didn't recognize it either! I never had abs before!! I was sore yesterday too but today is a bit better. I only feel them when I suck in my stomach now. But really, I was so sore!

elvislover324 - 4 mph gets my heart pounding and I probably couldn't do it longer than the minute required in week one. But as long as I'm walking slowly in between I seem to be okay.

Going to do W1D3 later today.

4.0 would kill me! Somehow mentally and physically 3.8 doesn't seem as bad so I'm sticking with it for now. Good luck today! I'm glad I take the weekends off now, I actually look forward to my M/W/F schedule now. But I still workout every day just because I like staying in the habit.

Angelic Fruitcake
04-28-2013, 03:51 PM
I did W5D1 today and it went well! It's amazing the change I've seen between week 1 and now! A month ago I had a hard time finishing 1 minute of running and today I did 3x 5 minutes and it wasn't that hard! I'm still not sure I'm going to be able to finish the whole 20 minutes later this week, but we'll see.

As for the 5K, I'm still undecided. I looked at last year's results and the slowest in the 30-39 group finished around 45 minutes. Right now, I'm not sure I'll be able to do that, I'm so painfully slow. I know it shouldn't matter as long as I finish, but I have this image of my fat self finishing like 5-10 minutes after everyone else and I just don't want that to happen. So I'll keep on training for a few weeks and we'll see how it goes...

Sinderelly
04-28-2013, 06:57 PM
I will have to head over here and join this thread!

I just finished W3D1 .. I have found a new love of running.I feel so powerful when I run! I am doing a foam fest/mud run Mid-June..I am hoping to be under 200 by then because I know my fat self won't look very hot covered in mud..I'd rather not look like a pig in the mud! ha

I tend to run every other day.. Do you guys think that is too much?

Edited to add:

I use mapmyrungps app to log how far I run, My pace, and the route I take..it also tells me the elevation of the area I ran!

Angelic Fruitcake
04-29-2013, 07:28 AM
Sinderelly: I also run every other day. I don't think it's too much, as long as you're feeling good!

Changergirl
04-29-2013, 08:50 AM
Welcome Sinderelly! I also use mapmyrun and nikeplus to track my runs and I love all the things that both of them tell me! I only run 3x a week, but I do other cardio at least 2 other times a week so I don't think every other day is bad. Whatever works for you.

I did W5D1 today and it started off great. I felt like I could have kept going forever when it told me to walk after the first run. However by the third my stomach was cramping again. I finished it, barely, and was running super slow. I think I know why though, I ate way too many carbs with dinner. My fiancÚ knew I was starving after work so he made a quick dinner of a sandwich AND a small side of pasta salad. Way too much. It's 3 hours later and I'm still stuffed! I'm definitely going to have to pay more attention to my eating especially now that the runs are getting longer and longer. I really liked how I felt like a 'runner' after that first run though.

dehtripper
04-29-2013, 11:26 AM
Sinderelly - I try to aim for running every other day but sometimes its less or more regular, depending on my schedule.

Today, I'm deciding whether I should repeat W6D2 or continue to D3. I've not been able to do my running for a few days due to a conference and I'm not sure about 25 straight.

Angelic Fruitcake
04-29-2013, 12:37 PM
Maybe try Day3 and try to do your best? If you run the whole thing, great, if not you can repeat it next time.

dehtripper
04-29-2013, 12:56 PM
Thats probably what I should do. I think I'm just using being mildly sore from skating extra yesterday as an excuse. Also, I'm so terribly stubborn that I know I'll somehow find a way to complete it if I just muster the energy to start :P Thanks

Changergirl
04-29-2013, 07:05 PM
OMG, dehtripper- congrats on getting to W6D3, that is absolutely amazing. I agree with Angelic Fruitcake, I think you should keep trying to go forward and not redo one, unless you were unable to finish it the last go around. Your body may surprise you and the 25 minutes be nothing. Let us know how it went!

elvislover324
04-29-2013, 08:10 PM
I skipped my scheduled run today, what a crankypants I am. :tantrum::tantrum::tantrum:

I had a bad (to me) weigh-in and spent the day doing more crying than exercising.

I'm hoping the bit of soreness in my abs is keeping the scale up and that it's not really a stall or true gain.

So I plan on doing it very early tomorrow and get back on schedule for Wednesday (so that will be 2 days in a row). I don't want to skip a day between as that would mean I'd be doing a big (to me) run on Saturday and then weighing in on Monday.

I'm getting so much more healthy and fit with this program (I can tell I'm stronger) but I don't want the scale being punished by my C25K success!

Angelic Fruitcake
04-29-2013, 08:42 PM
I'm so sorry about the weigh-in elvis324! Being stuck in a plateau sucks, but it sucks even more when you're so close to your goal. I hope you'll see a big loss next week.

elvislover324
04-29-2013, 08:48 PM
I'm so sorry about the weigh-in elvis324! Being stuck in a plateau sucks, but it sucks even more when you're so close to your goal. I hope you'll see a big loss next week.

Thank you, angelic fruitcake!! I have never felt healthier, stronger or better in general so this scale thing is really irking me!

dehtripper
04-30-2013, 08:20 AM
OMG, dehtripper- congrats on getting to W6D3, that is absolutely amazing. I agree with Angelic Fruitcake, I think you should keep trying to go forward and not redo one, unless you were unable to finish it the last go around. Your body may surprise you and the 25 minutes be nothing. Let us know how it went!

Thanks! I was all geared up, on my way to the gym yesterday when a couple friends asked me to join their workout (super awesome core/free weights/agility put together by a trainer friend) so I didn't get it done. Kinda sad I didn't do c25k too, but it was really nice to workout and learn new exercises with friends. MUST do W6D3 today after frisbee.

mamabear272
04-30-2013, 08:25 AM
I've started before but never finished. I've run a 5k at about week 4 and then quit after that. I don't know why I quit. I felt so good after running the 5k and then just slacked off! We have a marathon where I live every year and there's a 5k division that I ran. That was last year and I didn't do it this year. It was this past Sunday. I am now planning on some 5ks around here so I'm getting the training started now!

I started again yesterday and I am fully sure that I'm going to do it this time! :carrot:

I walked at 3.5 mph and ran at 4.5 mph. Not fast I know. I don't care though! :p LOL I'll get there. Then I'll work on speed!

:tread:

elvislover324
04-30-2013, 09:25 AM
So glad you are here, mamabear!! And you are racing past me with your speeds! I only do 3.0 walking and 3.8 running (jogging?) as I never did anything like this before! I'm working on building up my tolerance in my muscles and breathing, then I'll work on my timing!

Did W6D1 today. Put on my happy pants and got rid of my crankypants! I considered skipping this week and see if the scale would go down but I'm not giving the scale that kind of power. I love doing this C25K, esp. with all of you, and I think I'd be sad if I took a break. I'm going to trust the program that my body is getting more fit and efficient every day, even if it's punishing me on the scale (I don't know it for a fact, just a theory of many!).

Hope you all have a nice Tuesday!

mamabear272
04-30-2013, 09:41 AM
Well Elvis, that was D1W1 so we'll see if I run that fast tomorrow. lol :p I don't really care about speed. Of course I want to be fast but I'll get there eventually. I really just want to finish the whole program for once. I've started more times than I'd like to count. The farthest I got was week 4. Usually it was week 2 or 3. Not this time! ;)

Angelic Fruitcake
04-30-2013, 03:38 PM
I did W5D2 today and for the first time ever, I couldn't finish. :( My legs didn't want to keep running. The first 8 minute of running went fine, but I stopped midway through the second one. I'm a bit disappointed but it's not the end of the world. I'll repeat it on Thursday. Maybe I'll try going after the kids are in bed so I don't have to use the stroller...

elvislover324
04-30-2013, 04:08 PM
Well Elvis, that was D1W1 so we'll see if I run that fast tomorrow. lol :p I don't really care about speed. Of course I want to be fast but I'll get there eventually. I really just want to finish the whole program for once. I've started more times than I'd like to count. The farthest I got was week 4. Usually it was week 2 or 3. Not this time! ;)

This time will be different, you have all of us supporting you and cheering you on!!

I did W5D2 today and for the first time ever, I couldn't finish. :( My legs didn't want to keep running. The first 8 minute of running went fine, but I stopped midway through the second one. I'm a bit disappointed but it's not the end of the world. I'll repeat it on Thursday. Maybe I'll try going after the kids are in bed so I don't have to use the stroller...

Angelic, don't be too hard on yourself. I don't know how you all do it outside plus you add in the stroller! That's a big difference from doing it on a treadmill. :hug: You are doing awesome.

mamabear272
04-30-2013, 10:12 PM
Angelic, You can do this. I agree with Elvis, I couldn't do it with a stroller! I'm lucky to do my stuff on a treadmill without one! ;) Just repeat it next time and you'll nail it. I just know!

Elvis, thanks! I think it will be better making myself accountable to y'all. :lol:

Changergirl
05-01-2013, 05:54 AM
Welcome mamabear272- like you, i've tried this so many times and have only made it to week 5, which is where I am now. I just have to power through this and get it done, even if it takes me a couple extra days. I'm sure you'll have no problem getting past week 4, especially if you've already done a 5K. Have you thought about starting further on in the program, only if it's too easy at this point.

Angelic- I would not even worry about having to stop. I still can't believe you do this pushing a stroller so you are doing amazing. We all have our off days and we just have to make sure we don't give up.

Elvis- congrats on doing W6D1, that is amazing. Don't worry so much about switching up your schedule we all have bad days so it'll happen. I'm sure the scale will move for you soon as well. April was a really bad month for me weight wise, as I was exercising a lot more, but my measurements went down quite a bit...do you measure? It's another great tool that I think is a bit more accurate than the scale, though I am much more reliant on the latter.

As for me, I'm just about to have dinner so I'll go for my run in about an hour. I had the day off of work today so my fiancÚ and I went hiking. We were supposed to go for quite a bit more than we actually did, ended up only doing about 2 hours but I am worried my legs aren't going to make it through this workout. I've got to at least attempt it though as we're going out of town this weekend and my Saturday run has already been pushed to Friday night so no wiggle room.

kmac1196
05-01-2013, 07:29 AM
Hi all. Just popping in to say hi! I finished the program last year and then took a break from it. Restarted Saturday. I am completely jealous of you all for enjoying the nice weather with outdoor runs. My ortho told me NOT to run outdoors (unless on a track and lets face it....round and round sucks) because....I have no cartilage in my knee. Isn't that great? So treadmill for me. I'm trying to get over that fact and just get back in it. Kind of a bummer. Anyway....love reading the posts here!

Changergirl
05-01-2013, 08:20 AM
kmac1196- welcome back to the program. There are others in here that are also using a treadmill. I have in the past and there were definite benefits with it, being able to control speed, not having to worry about weather, etc. Hopefully it works for you this time. Congrats with previously finishing it!!!

I just finished W5D2 and it was awesome. I was really worried because I felt like my legs were tired and the 8 minute run seemed long, but was totally doable and I had enough energy left to be able to give it my all for the last run, which I haven't been able to do in awhile. My total distance was 4.25 km so I'm getting closer to 5K! I also realized that I am not doing the official program, as I don't have a 20 minute run next, which excites me and my program is only 8 weeks, which doesn't...though it means I have 10 runs left...insane. I guess that's what I get for using a free app! So if my run summaries don't match the rest of yours that is why.

elvislover324
05-01-2013, 09:09 AM
Awesome, changergirl!! You are doing so great!!

I'm doing W6D2 today even though I did day 1 yesterday. I'm afraid to do Day 3 on Saturday if I move everything up by 1 day as my weigh-in is Monday and I don't want to be all muscle-swollen! I play these silly games in my head like I can control the scale.

I just ate breakfast so I'm going to wait about 45 mins or so. I don't want my treadmill wearing my cereal!!

elvislover324
05-01-2013, 12:27 PM
W6D2 is complete!! I was a little nervous after just doing day 1 yesterday but I did it!! I'm getting nervous the harder the runs get but I'm trusting the program and loving it!

Angelic Fruitcake
05-01-2013, 01:49 PM
Woohoo Elvis! You're a superstar!!!

I just started 30 Day shred today. I'm not going to do it 30 days in a row, but hopefully on non-running days. I have a love-hate relationship with Jillian Michaels. I love her 23:30 hours of the day and I hate her for the 30 minutes I'm doing the Shred.

I sort of want to try W5D2 tonight. I'll see if I have enough energy left when the kids are in bed.

Silverfire
05-01-2013, 03:42 PM
I have to start this again. After my dizzy spell the last time I have been hesitant to try again. But yesterday at the gym, I jogged for more than a few minutes (not all at once mind you :lol:)

However... Today they announced the ColorMeRad 5k date for my city and without giving it a second thought, I registered! (as a team captain even) race day is not until September, but I want to be able to run/jog for the whole damn thing by then! No walking! Monday I am going to start fresh on day one and there is nothing going to stop me this time!!!!!

Angelic Fruitcake
05-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Woohoo Silverfire! Color me rad looks like a lot of fun! I'm doing the Color run in August and I can't wait! There will also be a Color me rad race in June but I haven't signed up for it.

IanG
05-01-2013, 04:18 PM
I am going to start this in a few weeks when I get back from Turkey. My town has a running track so early in the morning, before work, I will go there.

This is scarey. Dieting, weightloss, the gym are all easy peasy compared to running!

elvislover324
05-01-2013, 04:21 PM
OMG I'm so excited. Silverfire and Ian just made my day posting here. I love love love this thread, thank you all.

IanG
05-01-2013, 04:34 PM
I'm scared Elvis. It sounds super tough.

elvislover324
05-01-2013, 04:55 PM
I'm scared Elvis. It sounds super tough.

Ian, trust me when I tell you that the only thing I ever ran after was an ice cream truck!

Seriously, I'm not fast at all (I walk at 3.0, jog/run at 3.8). Right now I'm just concentrating on the movement and keeping one foot off the ground (treadmill) during my running time. I'll never win a race at my pace but I will win a trophy in my own mind!

The best advice online that I read was to follow the program even if some parts seem easy (i.e. week 1 might seem easy). Just trust the program and do as directed and not skip any parts. Sometimes you might have to repeat a week or stop running, obviously do what your body wants and not stress it too much.

9 months ago, seriously, I couldn't walk up the street 3 house lengths and back. Now I'm running 20 minutes at a time once a week plus smaller bouts as the program requires. It's a freakin' miracle!!! I really think my walking was instrumental in preparing me for this and you walk just as much as me a day if not more so you should be good too.

I say this all the time but really, if I can do this program then anyone can. I can't even believe I'll be done with Week 6 on Friday morning and it's been the best thing I ever did. I'm nowhere near 3.2 miles in distance but right now I'm just concentrating on the timing of walking and running at my slow speed. After I finish the 9 weeks, I'll work on upping my speed.

You can do this, look at all us that are here trying our hardest!!

Angelic Fruitcake
05-01-2013, 05:15 PM
IanG: It is tough, but so worth it! You'll see improvements week after week after week and you'll be amazed by what you can do. And don't forget that you don't have to do it in 9 weeks, you can repeat days or weeks as needed.

Also, if you need motivation, I really suggest signing up for a 5K in a few months. You won't have a choice but to go out and run :)

mamabear272
05-01-2013, 08:55 PM
I did W1D2 today! :carrot:

Changegirl, I haven't run since last year so I figured I better start at the beginning.

I have also signed up for a Run or Dye. It's similar to a color run. I will be way done with c25k and working on speed by then. I'm pretty excited!

IanG
05-01-2013, 10:06 PM
Thanks Elvis and Fruitcake. Good tips and I can do this (I hope!).

elvislover324
05-01-2013, 10:10 PM
Ian, I saw on the daily thread that you want to do Day 1 before your trip. I think you should! It's not as hard as I thought it was going to be. It's like the lure into the program saying "Oh it's not so bad, I'll commit to this." and then boom, a few weeks in you are hooked and sore!!! But the rush from the accomplishment and pride is priceless.

IanG
05-01-2013, 10:13 PM
OK. I'll do it on Friday (I want to do weights at the gym tomorrow). The rest of the C5K may have to wait until I get back though unless the gym in the hotel has a treadmill. Which will be a first because I have never used a treadmill. At home I can, and will, use the running track in the town.

I'm hoping your insight that my walking will help er...will help!

elvislover324
05-01-2013, 10:18 PM
OK. I'll do it on Friday (I want to do weights at the gym tomorrow). The rest of the C5K may have to wait until I get back though unless the gym in the hotel has a treadmill. Which will be a first because I have never used a treadmill. At home I can, and will, use the running track in the town.

I'm hoping your insight that my walking will help er...will help!

You are going to do awesome! You are one of the most determined people on this site!!

And if I thought it was going to hurt you, I would really tell you before going on a business trip!!

IanG
05-01-2013, 10:26 PM
Thanks Elvis!

I'll take the risk of walking like a cowboy at the airport.

Angelic Fruitcake
05-01-2013, 10:40 PM
I did it!

I redid W5D2 tonight, without the stroller this time, and it went perfectly! I'd say the first three minutes of running were the hardest. When the second 8 minute run was over I was all "already?". I felt so good! Next is the big test: W5D3!!!

IanG
05-01-2013, 10:42 PM
Please tell me I don't have to take the stroller. Mine is a double!

Angelic Fruitcake
05-01-2013, 10:49 PM
If you don't have anyone to look after the kids at home, you'll have to :)

I decided I'll try to run in the evening when I can, I really don't like running with the stroller.

elvislover324
05-01-2013, 10:52 PM
I did it!

I redid W5D2 tonight, without the stroller this time, and it went perfectly! I'd say the first three minutes of running were the hardest. When the second 8 minute run was over I was all "already?". I felt so good! Next is the big test: W5D3!!!

Awesome!!!! :carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot:

MSEMDEE
05-01-2013, 11:08 PM
I did it!

Congrats!
Sorry for being absent the last couple of days but life got crazy for the weekend and I was avoiding the treadmill again.
But ****HOLY MOLY**** I did W5D3 and survived! I wanted to cry after the first 10 minutes but sucked it up and made it through! I did cry afterwards though!
Congrats "Elvis" for moving on. I look forward to starting W6.
I feel like a runner now!

Angelic Fruitcake
05-01-2013, 11:10 PM
MSEMDEE: That's awesome! I feel like W5D3 is such a big deal, I'll really feel like a runner when I can do it!

MSEMDEE
05-01-2013, 11:34 PM
MSEMDEE: That's awesome! I feel like W5D3 is such a big deal, I'll really feel like a runner when I can do it!

I have to agree. I was terrified of the huge jump from day two to day three. I needed to really syke myself up but now I BELIEVE that I can finish this!
I know you will do well. Just do the best you can and then push for just a bit more. You are incredible and prove it everyday.:hug:

Changergirl
05-03-2013, 08:17 AM
I just finished my first run in the rain. Week 5 is officially finished. I feel like for me that is the biggest accomplishment. I think the rain really helped the run as it kept me nice and cool.

I know for most of you the end of week 5 means completing a 20 minute run, but since I'm using a completely off brand app that was not the case. In fact I just checked and I don't have a 20 minute run till week 7! Next week if full of 10 and 15 minute runs. This is making me feel a little less accomplished starting week 6, but I'm not sure I'm ready for 20 minutes yet. I like that my app is taking the slow and steady approach. I think, I hope I will be able to run 5K at the end of this.

Angelic Fruitcake
05-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Good job ChangerGirl! Don't worry about not having the same program, the important thing is to run and eventually get to 5K!

Good luck to everyone who's running today! I'll be trying W5D3 later tonight. I'm very excited about it!

I read this blogpost this morning and was very inspired by this girl, you should all go and read it!

http://www.runsforcookies.com/2013/05/guest-post-by-katie-w-i-kept-running.html

elvislover324
05-03-2013, 12:10 PM
Week 6 is COMPLETE and I didn't die!!! Hello 22 minute runner!! I can't even believe I did this.

You ladies are doing awesome. I actually thought about all of you when I was running to keep my eyes off the clock. I love knowing that we are all in this together and looked forward to coming back here to post (assuming I survived LOL!).

Changergirl, don't worry about it!! Put off the long runs as long as you can! There is no turning back after they start! I actually didn't realize there were different versions so I could have easily ended up with the same one you did. To be honest, I didn't think I'd get this far in the training (I figured it would hurt too much or I'd be bored or whatever). Then I met you all!!

Angelic Fruitcake
05-03-2013, 12:31 PM
22 minutes! That's awesome! You're doing so great elvis!

I think about you all when I run too. :)

junebug37
05-03-2013, 12:45 PM
elvislover You rock!! Thats an inspiration!

I have got to get myself back in the game!!

mamabear272
05-03-2013, 05:45 PM
You guys are rocking it!! :carrot: I was supposed to do W1D3 today but I had to take my daughter to an appointment and then my little guy got out of school early and his friend came over to play after school. So I'm going tomorrow. I'm definitely going though so no worries there! :D

Lecomtes
05-03-2013, 06:35 PM
Wow Elvis...you are conquering! Haha! :) Good job completing week 6!

Angelic Fruitcake
05-03-2013, 10:33 PM
I DID IT!!!!!!!

I did W5D3 and ran the whole 20 minutes! I was super slow, but I did it and I'm proud! Come on week 6 I'm ready for you!

elvislover324
05-03-2013, 10:45 PM
LOL be careful what you wish for, Angelic!!

And everyone else, thank you!! Just trying to keep up with everyone else!! And I love calling myself a runner (lol).

Sinderelly
05-03-2013, 11:03 PM
Sooo I have hated running my entire life..In high school I was in great shape..I was an athlete..but I dreaded running...

Now?

I absolutely LOVE IT! My day is not complete without a nice run! I can't believe how far I have come.

I finished Week 3 Day 3 today.. and start on Week 4 day 1 on Sunday.

Yesterday, I was craving a run because I was stressed..so I put my headphones on and started running..My plan was to try to run a mile without stopping.. Well.. I ran a little over 2 miles - No stopping and no walking! My pace was a 14 minute mile but that is okay.. I did it!

I can't believe how well couch to 5k works! *happy dance* lol

elvislover324
05-03-2013, 11:10 PM
Awesome post, sinderelly!!

basementcat
05-04-2013, 02:37 AM
Elvis - big congrats form me!
I am finally back and the soles of my legs are so sore i will put off running till Monday and of course i've gained 3 lbs on my trip ;(

MSEMDEE
05-04-2013, 10:28 AM
Congrats to everyone on their running!
I completed W6D1 yesterday and is it wrong to say that it felt too easy.
I feel good enough to do D2 today.
I know I don't fit the image I have for a runner but I am beginning to feel like one!!!

elvislover324
05-04-2013, 10:38 AM
Welcome back, basementcat! We missed you!! Hope you enjoyed your vacation!! 3lbs isn't bad at all, it's probably mostly water weight (if not all!) and it will be gone in no time!

msmedee, congrats!! I found week 6 to be easier than week 5 but I think it was that 20 minute run on day 3 that snuck up on me! (I try to not read ahead of what the lesson is going to be, I like to be surprised. I thought that 20 minutes would kill me LOL!).

I felt really good this week doing week 6, I don't feel as sore as I did after last week. But I will admit, I didn't hold my stomach/abs in as hard as I did last week (that hurt more than the run did!).

We are all doing so great, I'm so happy!:dancer::dancer::dancer:

tehshort1
05-04-2013, 01:13 PM
I just found this thread and seeing all of your success stories along the way has motivated me to join! I just downloaded the C25K app to my iphone and I will TOTALLY be starting this tonight. Thank you!

mamabear272
05-04-2013, 08:02 PM
Welcome tehshort! It's a great place to be!

Sinder, great to hear that your run went that well! Love it!!

I did W1D3 today and it felt good mostly. I have celiac and I think I got glutened Thursday and my tummy is still trying to recover. :( But other than that, it was ok. Looking forward to W2!

tehshort1
05-04-2013, 08:52 PM
Okay. Completed Week 1 Day 1 today and I realized I have never really ran before. I'm sure that I looked like a crazy person as I ran (slowly jogged?) but I felt so proud of myself when I finished! Then I promptly plopped myself onto the grass and laid down for a few minutes before walking home. Awesome :) :dance:

elvislover324
05-04-2013, 09:14 PM
Great job, mamabear! Hope you are feeling better soon.

Welcome, tehshort! I never ran before I did W1D1 either (unless it was after an ice cream truck when I was younger!) so it sure was an eye opener! I'm so glad you joined us, it's an awesome group here!

Changergirl
05-04-2013, 10:36 PM
A BIG congrats to elvislover324, MSEMDEE, Angelic Fruitcake. You 3 are doing awesome and keep motivating me.

Sinderelly- you are also doing amazing, 2 miles of straight running is crazy, you are so close to 5K and not even 1/2 through the program. It is definitely working for you.

Good luck to everyone else, especially the newcomers. It may seem really difficult at first, but as everyone further ahead has proven it does work.

I can't wait to get out there tomorrow and do my two 10 minute runs.

ds072793
05-05-2013, 12:12 AM
I just found this site! Tomorrow I am to do W2D1 and I am nervous! Hoping my body will handle this. I have never done C25k and the last time I tried running on my own I ended up with stress fractures in both my lower legs and boy was it painful!! For this reason I am not pushing it and am only doing what it says...the three days a week. I figure I can add in other exercise or running later when I am stronger. I am using the rundouble app but am in an area where my gps doesn't always work. I also have knees that crunch and grind something horrible so I don't want to hurt them either!!

I just read through this thread and it is very encouraging and helpful!!:)

straightahead
05-05-2013, 02:20 AM
I am about to start Week 5 Day 1...I am always nervous I will hit a workout that I can't do, but so far it has been okay every workout. However, I am getting these annoying pains under my rib when running (side stitch?). I worried this problem will interfere in my goal to run 5k.

ds072793
05-05-2013, 07:01 PM
W2D2...Done!!! Not as bad as I thought it would be! How do I get the ticker thing on the bottom??

Angelic Fruitcake
05-05-2013, 10:31 PM
Good job ds072793!

I did Week 6 Day 1 today and it went really well. I thought it was much easier than last week's 20 minutes so I tried to go a little faster. It was hard but I did it. I'm still really slow though.

I'm weighing in tomorrow and I'm scared of the number I'll get. We ate out a couple of times this weekend and I think I'll see a gain...

Changergirl
05-06-2013, 08:25 AM
Welcome ds072793! You have to wait a month (I think) to get your ticker!

This is officially my new favourite thread as my weight has decided to stall/go up, but here I keep going in the right direction, running more!

I did W6D1 as well today and I was quite proud of myself when I finished. The first 10 minutes felt like nothing, the second 10 was a bit harder as it was uphill but I did it all. I totalled 4.4 km so I'm getting closer to that 5K, even though I clearly didn't run the whole way.

Angelic Fruitcake
05-06-2013, 11:16 AM
You're doing great Changergirl! You're so much faster than me too! I only did 3.44 km last night, I'm still so far from 5K. My average speed while running was 8:24 per km, that's 13:31 per mile, it's really slow! And I really tried running faster too. I've been told several times not to think about my speed, but it's hard not too. When I signed up for my 5K, I had to enter my expected time. I wrote 40 minutes, thinking I could easily do it, but it doesn't look like I can. I know there's still lots of time, but I'd have to run significantly faster. I hope I can do it under 50 minutes but I'm not even sure. I'll be the fat chick that finishes 15 minutes after everyone.

I know this is not a weight thread, but I need to vent. I weighed myself this morning and I was 174.2. That's a 0.2 gain. Not the end of the world, except that I've been gaining and losing the same pound for the past month! I'm having such a bad day, I just want to give up, eat everything in the house and become lazy again.

Kscott
05-06-2013, 01:31 PM
Ok, maybe I am not a runner yet!!!

This was the first time in 20 years that I ran more than 2 steps and it was awesome!! Well, maybe it was more of a leisurely jog!

I was so petrified to start this program in case my husband came home to me dead on the floor on the first day. But so far, I'm still here!

I hope this counts, since I didn't really know what I was doing. :D

All the walking was done at 3.0mph which is 20 mins. per mile. The running/jogging part I did was at 3.8mph which is 15.47mins. per mile. I was afraid to push myself too hard plus I didn't trust that my legs would even know what to do.:woops:

I was definitely sweating my butt off and moving pretty good. I am going to follow the schedule of 3 days a week and hope I can make it to the end. I am determined to make this mini-goal. Then I will work on running outside which I think will be harder.

I'm so excited, you have no idea! This made me feel like a million dollars that I was strong enough to do this, even if it was slow.

Thank you to all of you who were so helpful on the other thread!! :hug:

That's great. So many are surprised at what they can do. And so many are too busy focusing on what they think they can't do.

I am so happy that you tried it. And it doesn't matter how slow you are--you're doing it and that's what counts.

"May you never allow what you can't do to interfere with what you can do."

Angelic Fruitcake
05-06-2013, 01:42 PM
Elvis!!!!!!!! You're in onederland!!!!!!!!!! Super mega congrats to you!!!!!

:hug::carrot::carrot::carrot: :bravo: :cb: :cp: :congrat: :broc:

elvislover324
05-06-2013, 01:42 PM
Happy Monday everyone!! I'll be doing W7D1 today (can't even believe I'm this far in already!). Just wanted to welcome the newbies and high five my other runner friends! You are all rocking this program, you make me want to succeed and keep on schedule. :hug:

I'll be back later this afternoon with my report!

elvislover324
05-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Completed W7D1 earlier this afternoon. OMG. OMG. OMG.

I naively went down to my treadmill happy that it's day 1 of the week which traditionally are easier than the middle or end of the week. HELLO hard run!!

By the end of the 25 minutes (another with no break!) my legs were literally ready to fall from under me. When I switched the speed down for the cool down at the end I had to hold the hand rails until my body felt strong enough again to balance itself!

I felt amazing afterwards though. :) I had on a new outfit today (since I made it to onederland this morning!) and I felt so put together and confident. Didn't even recognize myself!

Keep up the good work, everyone. We are doing awesome things here in this thread. And kscott bumping my original quote from the first day I ever tried to run warmed my heart, I hadn't read it since the first few days I posted it. I can't believe how awesome these last 7 weeks +/- have been.

mamabear272
05-06-2013, 07:20 PM
W2D1 done! Loving it! :carrot: Congrats to everyone on your runs!

ds072793
05-06-2013, 08:04 PM
You guys are awesome! Great inspiration! I'm nervous about wk three already... But trying to stay in the moment! Congrats on our runs and progress!

Kscott
05-06-2013, 11:27 PM
Completed W7D1 earlier this afternoon. OMG. OMG. OMG.

I naively went down to my treadmill happy that it's day 1 of the week which traditionally are easier than the middle or end of the week. HELLO hard run!!

By the end of the 25 minutes (another with no break!) my legs were literally ready to fall from under me. When I switched the speed down for the cool down at the end I had to hold the hand rails until my body felt strong enough again to balance itself!

I felt amazing afterwards though. :) I had on a new outfit today (since I made it to onederland this morning!) and I felt so put together and confident. Didn't even recognize myself!

Keep up the good work, everyone. We are doing awesome things here in this thread. And kscott bumping my original quote from the first day I ever tried to run warmed my heart, I hadn't read it since the first few days I posted it. I can't believe how awesome these last 7 weeks +/- have been.

Congratulations again! I am not a runner--(confirmed Jazzercise addict)--but my husband and daughter are--and I clearly know the gains they have made and are still making. My brother started running about 4 months ago and just did his 2nd 5K. You're doing it--keep it up and it won't be long before you can easily run 30 minutes, and then the sky is the limit--and you'll get to where you just cruise with a never ending second wind.

basementcat
05-07-2013, 12:24 AM
elvislover324 - wow, just wow! You should be immensely proud of what you did! I am more than a little jealous! :) Big congrats on reaching onederland <3
And W4D1 update - ARGH! All was going well when my phone (with the c25k app) switched off, i was about to start my 800m run and ugh, all my data for today was lost and i will have to redo w4d1 but i feel that is a good thing, because it will help me run better next time. Oh well :) Have great runs, girls!

Angelic Fruitcake
05-07-2013, 11:15 AM
Today is a running day, woohoo! I much prefer to run without a stroller but that means I have to wait until the kids are in bed around 8ish. I'm really looking forward to it. I'll be doing W6D2.

It's still unbelievable to me that I'm actually doing this! This is my third time tring C25K but I had never gone past week 2 before!

To everyone who's running today: have fun!

elvislover324
05-07-2013, 11:22 AM
I flew through these threads yesterday so I want to thank you all again for the wonderful messages. Onederland made my whole day (my whole week probably!) and I was like a hummingbird flying around this place yesterday.

You ladies are doing awesome. And I'm so happy with how far we have gone in the weeks. I don't know if I would have made it to week 7 without you all so I thank you so very much for motivating me and keeping me on schedule. Knowing that you are all doing it makes me want to stay as part of our running club here!!

Angelic Fruitcake
05-07-2013, 11:30 AM
We should try to do a virtual 5K in a few months. We could all run or run/walk a 5K on the same day and post here and congratulate each others when we're done :D

elvislover324
05-07-2013, 11:58 AM
We should try to do a virtual 5K in a few months. We could all run or run/walk a 5K on the same day and post here and congratulate each others when we're done :D

LOVE that idea! :carrot::carrot::carrot:

ds072793
05-07-2013, 11:24 PM
W2D2 was hard....but I did it! Am I the only one who spends the time in between psyching myself out??? Ugh! This is such a mental thing!!!!!

junebug37
05-08-2013, 12:04 AM
I finally finished Week 1 today!! Does not sound like much after all this time but I am proud of me! I ran at 4.5 to 5 every round!!! :) Congrats to everyone! I will keep dragging along on this LONG road!! But I'm excited!!

ds072793
05-08-2013, 12:39 AM
Congratulations junebug37!!! Keep it up!!

MSEMDEE
05-08-2013, 01:51 AM
Ok, so I am away on a business trip today and I put on my runners and headed to the fitness room to do W6D3 only to find out that both treadmills are broken. URGH! Checked out the elliptical as well....broken! Boy did the front counter staff get an earful. I know it is not their fault but they could have told me when I booked the hotel and specially asked about fitness facilities.
Gonna have to wait till I get home tomorrow or maybe even Thursday now. I was so ready to do this.
Love the idea of a virtual run. Count me in!

Changergirl
05-08-2013, 07:49 AM
elvislover324- Congrats on making it to onederland! It's such an awesome feeling, enjoy it.

Angelic Fruitcake- I absolutely love the virtual 5K idea. I'm already thinking that I should give myself a date (relatively soon) and see if I can get one done. My goal is to do somehow finish sub 40 minutes, but like you, I think under 50 may be more realistic.

Congrats junebug37 and ds072793- I really think the first couple weeks are the hardest.

MSEMDEE- Props to you for making every effort to run while away. The last 2 weekends I went away I brought running clothes but they didn't even come out of my bag. You have serious dedication. I'm sure a couple extra days off won't hurt you.

I just finished up W6D2. It was tougher than W6D1 even though the running time was the same. It just started off bad, my ipod fell out of my pocket 10 seconds into the first run so I had to shove it into my bra which just wasn't very comfortable. I went out a bit earlier than normal so it was much warmer, about 25 celsius, which is definitely the hottest I've run in and it made a difference. I may have to look into getting a gym membership June-August as I do want to keep this up. I've already looked into 10K apps, insane! I hit exactly 4K today, which I'm okay with, since my time was 4:30 less than last time. I am a bit worried about my 15 minute run on Friday but I think I just need to pace myself, slow and steady.

elvislover324
05-08-2013, 03:13 PM
Thanks, changergirl!! I swear I run lighter at 199.4!! :D You are doing awesome. I hear you on the hot weather, I ran this afternoon and even though it's in my basement (traditionally cooler than the rest of the house), it was flipping hot during my run! And I agree, you dropping your Ipod and just having little things like that throw you off can mess up your mental part of the run. Still so proud of you though!!

msemdee, I would have been a crazy lunatic!! How rude of them to not say all their equipment was out of order.

Junebug, awesome!!! And you should be VERY proud of yourself!!

ds0727, don't psyche yourself out!! Psyche yourself in!! Seriously, I think of all of you here when I get ready for my run, during my run, after my run. Sounds silly but I feel like you are all my running club and I'd be letting you all down if I didn't try my hardest while I'm doing it. I even feel myself craving the run now (how WEIRD is that!?!?)

I completed W7D2 today and sweated my tail off. It was the same 25 mins. as Monday and I peeked at Friday and it's the same too. I can't even believe after Friday I can say I ran for over an hour this week. That is unheard of!! I can't imagine what week 8 is going to bring and I'm not peeking at that!!

Love reading your updates here, it keeps my head in the game and I get so excited!! I even read all the running posts on Pinterest and think to myself "I'm a runner too!"!!

Angelic Fruitcake
05-08-2013, 03:53 PM
Angelic Fruitcake- I absolutely love the virtual 5K idea. I'm already thinking that I should give myself a date (relatively soon) and see if I can get one done. My goal is to do somehow finish sub 40 minutes, but like you, I think under 50 may be more realistic.

I'm sure you'll be able to do it under 40! You seem to run pretty fast :)

Love reading your updates here, it keeps my head in the game and I get so excited!! I even read all the running posts on Pinterest and think to myself "I'm a runner too!"!!

I do that too ;)

I had the weirdest run yesterday! I was going to do W6D2, so I began to walk fr the warm-up. After a while, I felt I had been walking a while so I looked at my phone and realized I had missed my running cue by two minutes. So I pressed rewind to get back to the beginning of the running segment and started running. After a while, I started thinking this was the longest 10 minutes of my life so I looked at my phone and realized I hadn't pressed the "resume workout" button! So I'm not sure how long I ran, maybe 12-13 minutes. So I fast forwarded to the walking segment. Then I did the second running segment but accidentally touched the fast forward button with one minute left to run so it skipped to cool down.

So according to my phone, I ran -26:21! At a pace of 4:21 per km (I usually run between 8 and 9 minutes per km. so weird! So I think I'm going to delete that log from my phone and repeat W6D2. I'll try to go tonight because we're supposed to get a lot of rain for the next 3-4 days.

elvislover324
05-08-2013, 04:03 PM
OMG angelic fruitcake, I get like that on my phone too!! I'm not a very technical person plus with 2 legs running under me I'm downright incompetent to do anything else!! At least you got a run in and your body do doubt benefited from it, but what a pain in the butt!!!

basementcat
05-08-2013, 04:09 PM
elvislover324, I felt so inspired by your last post! And I am amazed at how you breeze through the toughest runs of c25k! :hug:
Angelic Fruitcake I didn't know you could fast forward/ go back on your runs! Aw! My run would not have been ruined if i knew! :mad: Of course there is nothing wrong with repeating a day, so no harm done.

elvislover324
05-08-2013, 04:25 PM
OMG basementcat!! You are much too kind! I think it's the few minutes break that I have drinking water when I'm done that somehow acts like a mind-eraser and tells me the run wasn't so bad at all! I'm what my husband calls a "hot mess" when I'm done running. I look like I have accomplished a wonderful feat but into the shower I go! And remember I'm only running 3.8mph on a treadmill so I really can't get any more of a well controlled environment so really I have it easy compared to you all doing it fast, doing it outside, doing it with a stroller! ( I did bump it to 4.0 for the last 10 mins today, watch out fast runners, Elvis is approaching!)

So...I apologize if I make it sound easy, it's so not! But it's challenging and gives me jelly thighs and I sweat (swear?) like a pig and think I'm never going to make it to the halfway point and then I do so I pray for the other half to go quicker than the first and then she tells me I have one minute left and then I'm so happy to walk the cool down and I thank God every single run for giving me the strength (both mental and physical) for being able to do this with you all. (How's THAT for a run-on sentence!)

100Mother
05-08-2013, 04:33 PM
Well, that run on sentence is what just gave me the motivation to download the C25K app on my phone just now Elvis. Crap, I'm nervous. I've got something big brewing in my head, and I know this is a key part to achieving it.

Sounds like all of you are doing amazingly, and I just hope I can get there. Starting tomorrow morning on the treadmill at the gym.

elvislover324
05-08-2013, 04:37 PM
Aww, 100mother, you are going to do awesome!! I made myself dizzy writing that sentence out LOL!

Just follow the "assignment" as the c25k gives it to you. Too many people try to work harder than they have to but the point of the program is to help you build up your stamina and not hurt yourself.

The first day I ran (which is when this post was opened) I couldn't believe that *I* could run. It was nothing short of a miracle. I still can't believe *while I'm running* that it's ME running! And I love it!!

Please post tomorrow if you want to and let us know how you did!! And remember, any day that you can't do the whole lesson can be done the next day. The program doesn't have to be perfect, it just matters that you are starting!! :hug:

Angelic Fruitcake
05-08-2013, 04:40 PM
elvislover324, I felt so inspired by your last post! And I am amazed at how you breeze through the toughest runs of c25k! :hug:
Angelic Fruitcake I didn't know you could fast forward/ go back on your runs! Aw! My run would not have been ruined if i knew! :mad: Of course there is nothing wrong with repeating a day, so no harm done.

It may depend on the app you're using, but you can on the one by active.com. They also just updated it yesterday to include "free runs" so it can track km and pace even if you're just running and not following the program.

100Mother: woohoo! Welcome to our thread! C25K is truly amazing. It's hard but so worth it to see some amazing progress in a few short weeks! Many of us had a hard time running the first 60 seconds when we started and here we are a few short weeks later, running 20+ minutes!

basementcat
05-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Elvis, do not diminish your running accomplishments! Threadmill or outside - you are the one running!
Fruitcake I am using DoubleRun's app.
Welcome and good luck to all new comers, please post your thoughts here so we can support each other :carrot:

ds072793
05-08-2013, 11:19 PM
Thanks elvislover! It does help to think about everyone here pushing on!!

mamabear272
05-08-2013, 11:21 PM
Congrats everyone! I did W2D2 today. I also find myself talking myself into continuing. I'm usually ok before the halfway point and then after that I tell myself "you're more than half way there!"

I also have an NSV. We had a get together at a member of our church's house and a girl I haven't seen in a little while stopped me and asked if I'd been losing weight. I said yes and she goes "you can really tell. You look great!" Why thank you! It's so awesome to hear! :broc:

Oh and can I just say, I miss the dancing banana. LOL

basementcat
05-09-2013, 02:12 AM
:cb: mamabear272, congrats on w2d2! I sure wish people were telling me such nice things too! Instead last time i bumped into an old teacher of mine she said i had pun on a ton of weight. but it was okay since i have kids and i am married now. i am neither married nor have kids, so she just looked at me stunned for a moment and then told me i look great from the waist up! So yay! :D

Angelic Fruitcake
05-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Congrats everyone! I did W2D2 today. I also find myself talking myself into continuing. I'm usually ok before the halfway point and then after that I tell myself "you're more than half way there!"

I also have an NSV. We had a get together at a member of our church's house and a girl I haven't seen in a little while stopped me and asked if I'd been losing weight. I said yes and she goes "you can really tell. You look great!" Why thank you! It's so awesome to hear! :broc:

Oh and can I just say, I miss the dancing banana. LOL

Good job, you're doing great! For me, I usually have a hard time with the first minutes of running and then it gets easier for some reason, as if my body needed some time to get used to running.

:cb: mamabear272, congrats on w2d2! I sure wish people were telling me such nice things too! Instead last time i bumped into an old teacher of mine she said i had pun on a ton of weight. but it was okay since i have kids and i am married now. i am neither married nor have kids, so she just looked at me stunned for a moment and then told me i look great from the waist up! So yay! :D

Wow, what a rude woman! I don't understand why people would say things like that.

mamabear272
05-09-2013, 11:06 AM
Basement, that's crazy! :dizzy: What makes people think it's ok to say things like that?!?

Angelic, I can see where that could be the case. Body needing to adjust to running. LOL

And thank you both for the :cb: Don't know how I missed it. LOL :p

100Mother
05-09-2013, 12:07 PM
So excited! Completed my first day! Yay! Felt really good too, and I followed it up w/20 mins of spinning!

Crazy day at work, so I'm sorry I can't skim everyone else's posts, but I hope everyone is doing well!