100 lb. Club - If you could lose one pound per week.....

Beverlyjoy
03-25-2013, 09:21 AM
and in 52 weeks be 52 pounds lighter - would you be satified, even though it took a 'long time'? Or 104 pounds in two years? It's an interesting thought. Just curious.

My dietician says a pound a week is a good loss. It seems like I am too impatient for that. But, if it was a 'garanteed' thing I could go for it. - I guess.

IanG
03-25-2013, 11:33 AM
I'd take it! Two years passes in the blink of an eye.

omgsasha
03-25-2013, 11:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd1bQPnPJXQ

i came across this video the other day! :) i hope u enjoy it

what 1 pound looks like.

fadedbluejeans
03-25-2013, 11:39 AM
One pound a week is actually the plan I am on right now. So far so good.

betsy2013
03-25-2013, 12:06 PM
Oh most definitely I'd take it. Especially since my previous trend was to gain one pound per week and wonder what the heck happened at the end of a year!

synger
03-25-2013, 12:11 PM
I would definitely take it. In fact this is my goal. If I lose more quickly, I'm happy. But I limit my expectation to 1 pound a week (and I have to look at it over a month, because it's definitely not a straight shot down).

April Snow
03-25-2013, 12:17 PM
I had a thread asking the same question

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/273405-if-you-had-1-lb-per-week-loss-guaranteed-would-you-take.html

wannaBfitnessbuff
03-25-2013, 12:19 PM
Yes. I'd take it. It wouldn't mean my goal weight by my 30th birthday. But dang I'd be a lot lighter than I am now! And sure I hope for faster than that.

joefla70
03-25-2013, 01:19 PM
For me, it depends. If I bust my butt to lose more, then I would not be satisfied with 1 pound per week. If I was aiming to lose 1 pound, and my diet was geared to lose just that one 1 pound -- and I was able to do it. Then yes, I would be happy. But for right now I am trying to lose more. So, if all my hard work only resulted in 1 pound per week, I would not be happy. Mind you, I'd rather have a 1 pound loss than a stall! But in the long term I'll take my chances rather than the guarantee of 1 pound.

(I feel like I'm on "lets make a deal" and I'm choosing between the sure-thing 1 pound/week loss vs. what's behind door #3) :)

ichoose2believe
03-25-2013, 01:36 PM
Sure I would take it anything lower than where I am now would be great. But I have to agree with Joe... if I am busting my butt and its only 1 pound then I wouldn't exactly be thrilled.

GirlyGirlSebas
03-25-2013, 03:35 PM
Satisfied? Probably not. Losing weight isn't easy. Heck, I'm preaching to the choir, huh? If I'm 100% on-plan and my body choose to only give up one pound a week at this weight, I will likely feel cheated. However, 6 months down the road I could be looking at a 24 pound loss and that would make me happier....but, probably still not satisfied. It would be nice to have lost 24 pounds. But still not as good as maybe a 48-72 pound loss. I know me. I'm kind of an all or nothing kind of gal. But.....maybe that's my problem? (Things that make you go "hmmmm.")

Garnet2727
03-25-2013, 03:46 PM
With a little over a year under my belt, I'm averaging a little over a pound a week. I'm good with that. It took me 48 years to put all this weight on, I don't mind taking a couple of years, or more, to take it off. I don't do well at all if I feel like I'm deprived. If I were to decrease my food intake to the point of losing more than I am now, I would most definitely feel deprived and end up falling face first into mass amounts of food.

PreciousMissy
03-25-2013, 03:49 PM
Well, considering the last time I lost weight, averaging 8-10lb per month, was always a struggle, yes, I'd be happy with 1lb per week if it's not a struggle. I'm trying a new plan this time and it hasn't been as hard as before, but my average loss is 1lb per week. Any loss is better than a gain!

Mozzy
03-25-2013, 06:03 PM
Depends on how much effort that one pound per week took.

I average 2lbs per week, but I'm bustin my *** to sustain that :-)

elvislover324
03-25-2013, 06:19 PM
I was thinking about this thread all day after reading it on my phone this morning.

If I didn't have to diet and exercise like a maniac in this guaranteed scenario, I'd be happy to eat a balanced diet with moderate exercise and thank the heavens to be guaranteed the 52lbs change in one year.

In my current real life, I *need* to lose more than 1lb a week to make it feel worth the effort that I put into it. I need the scale progress to give me incentive to trudge on and I am feeling selfish writing that here.

Elladorine
03-25-2013, 10:24 PM
I'm 53 pounds lighter than I was last March, and I figure I can look at this in two different ways.

I can be extremely annoyed that I've only managed to average a one pound per week loss. It hardly seems fair, right? No matter how vigilant I am about my choices and portions, and no matter how much I push myself with everything, I apparently can't make myself lose any faster. Growl, growl, snarl.

Or . . . I can realize that hey . . . thanks to all my vigilance and hard work in the past year, I'm currently at my lowest weight ever. Because I'd wasted a lifetime of feeling like any effort that didn't get results now wasn't good enough, saying screw it and eating myself all the way up to 360 pounds.

At the rate I'm currently losing, it's going to take another year and a half to reach my goal. And I'm ok with that. I don't have any control over how quickly I can lose, but I do have control over the choices I make every single day. I'm choosing healthier habits to live a longer, fuller life, and if I have to be extra patient for my smaller body to arrive, so be it. ;) It's really been helpful for me to let my main focus be my long-term health, not the amount of time it's taking to reach a certain number.

I can't wait to see where I'm at next March. :)

Vex
03-25-2013, 10:28 PM
A guaranteed pound per week? Heck yes.

At this point there are some weeks where i lose nothing, despite being on plan. Weight loss can really slow to a crawl, so it's important to be comfortable with the fact that it WILL come off eventually if you stay the course.

You can't let those weeks with no loss, 1 lbs, or even a gain discourage you.

Elladorine
03-25-2013, 10:46 PM
You can't let those weeks with no loss, 1 lbs, or even a gain discourage you.
I still have plenty of weeks where I gain. Whenever I say I've gained at my meetings (we always announce whether we've lost or gained when we do roll call), everyone looks at me in disbelief. "But you're losing, how can you have gained?!" They seem to forget that I still have gains quite often. The key is that I don't let those gains get to me and I keep on trying, no matter what.

I do wish I could have that elusive guaranteed loss every week. Instead I watch the overall trend and am satisfied with it going the right direction, no matter the pace.

AlmostMe
03-26-2013, 04:22 AM
If I could lose 1lb of FAT a week - oh yes, please. Weight?? Not so much.

Nojunk4me
03-26-2013, 09:03 AM
Considering the amount I need to lose, I don't know if I would be able to sustain my drive for two years at a pound a week. I sure am going to keep trying, and see how it goes.

eliza422
03-26-2013, 04:04 PM
I've taken 3 years to lose 105ish pounds - I still have 25 to go to get to my goal, which if I stay on track will be this summer, around August.

That means I averaged 3/4 pound a week - not even a whole pound.

Am I sad/mad it is taking this long? Sure. Have I ever given up? No, even when I plateaued several times for several months.

What has this long time also done for me? Allowed me to really change my habits and style of eating and exercising. After doing it this long it's almost second nature, and I should be able to relatively easily ease into maintenance.

If I could guarantee a pound a week? Well that sure as **** ain't going to happen - read any of the hundreds of posts of "life getting in the way" of someone's best laid plans.

There are no guarantees about anything we do - so I don't even think that way. Each week am I getting a little closer to where I want to be, even if it's one ounce - or even a stay-the-same moment? Then I'm making progress and I just keep trucking on.

I consider myself pretty cynical, which is maybe why I can still keep on after all this time. Who knows?

lunarsongbird
03-26-2013, 04:34 PM
I've thought about this for a couple days now...and I'd have to say no. I'm coming up on 30 pounds down in 3 months and I just LOVE that. I love averaging nearly 10 pounds a month!

merilung
03-26-2013, 05:52 PM
I've thought about this for a couple days now...and I'd have to say no. I'm coming up on 30 pounds down in 3 months and I just LOVE that. I love averaging nearly 10 pounds a month!

lunarsongbird - we are neck and neck with our losses! :) I started at the tail end of last December and I'm down about 33 pounds. I'm hoping to keep this pace up for awhile!

That said, I'd be happy with a one pound loss a week - if that's what it takes, than that's what it takes. I'm losing more than that now, though, and I'm in no hurry to see it slow down.

rodeogirl
03-26-2013, 11:52 PM
I'm happy I'm not gaining. I'm more happy that I'm losing. I'm loving the big losses that one gets at the beginning.

I play a lot of poker and in poker it's VERY important to not be results oriented in the short term. You can play a hand perfectly and get sucked out on and lose a big pot. This tempts you to switch your play up so that doesn't happen again. But in the long run a good poker player will win money if he/she makes the best decisions given the information they have and not go on tilt because of variance.

Variance, in poker is basically the luck factor.

I'm trying to look at weight loss the same way. I'm GOING to have variance. Sometimes it's TOMs fault, sometimes it's my fault, sometimes it's the fact that calorie counts in food are estimates at best.

If I want to live healthy in the long run I have to learn to live with variance and not worry about it. Life happens.

So yeah if I lose a pound a week I'm going to be satisfied because at the end of the year I'm still healthier than before. I'm winning in the long run and that's what really matters to me.