Ideal Protein Diet - IP Daily Chat Monday 3/25/2013

View Full Version : IP Daily Chat Monday 3/25/2013

lisa32989
03-25-2013, 07:32 AM
:welcome2:
Welcome back to the Daily Chat thread - post your plans for today, share what's been happening, ask questions!

Some forum lingo:
NSV = Non-scale victory
TOM = time of the month
WI = Weigh-in
WF = Walden Farms
OP = on program

Bookmarking:
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home page (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
Consider making it a bookmark or a favorite in your browser so you can come back easily to get your RDA of Ideal Protein information.

Information for newbies:
Check the sticky page (top of forum, above all the topics) for lots of good information and please read here before asking what might be a frequently asked question (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/243142-have-question-about-ip-read-here-first-before-posting-question.html) in the daily thread: Information on Ideal Protein phases (1-4), IP Ultimate List Recipes, FAQ, Newbie Guide, Exercise, and other Important Threads
(http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/238801-ip-ultimate-list-recipes-faq-newbie-guide-exercise-other-important-threads.html)
More Recipes Here Mix'n in the kitchen...Recipes from the Rainbow (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/261885-mixn-kitchn-recipes-rainbow.html)
MiX'N' iN THE KiTCH'N.... Recipes from the Rainbow Volume 2 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/268669-mixn-kitchn-recipes-rainbow-volumn-2-a.html)
here Fun with Ideal Protein Packets (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/212175-fun-ideal-protein-packets.html)
and here Fun with Veggie Purees! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/264231-fun-veggie-purees.html)
Ideal Protein Diet Recipes #4 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/273856-ideal-protein-diet-recipes-4-a.html)

Tickers and Signatures:
There are 2 requirements to have access to signatures and tickers. You must have been a member of 3fatchicks for 20 days AND posted at least 20 messages anywhere on the 3fatchicks forum. When you've met those requirements check The Ultimate Signature and Ticker Thread (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/announcements-forum-help/203435-ultimate-one-stop-signature-ticker-thread-read-here-if-you-have-questions.html) for more information and instructions.

Quoting: The best quoting tip - EVER!! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3427715-post155.html) Thanks Rosie, aka 6710.

Searching:
If you can't find what you're looking for in this forum using the website search function, try using the "double search" using Google.

1) Go to Google.com. Search 3fatchicks by using the term site:3fatchicks.com at the end of your Google search.

For example, if you want to look for "big mac in a bowl", type "big mac in a bowl site:3fatchicks.com" in Google search. No need to include the quotation marks when you type.

2) This will bring up the page that you are looking for, now hit Ctrl+F to search on that page. Type "big mac in a bowl" and all instances of that search term will be highlighted.

Progress photos have been moved to the Mini-Goal Photo Album (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini-goals-201/).

Other helpful links related to the Ideal Protein diet:
Dr. Chanh Tran Tien's website (http://www.trantiendiet.com/site/spip.php?rubrique19)

lisa32989
03-25-2013, 08:04 AM
Well I have been working the last three days, so this is my first time getting to log in. I have made it through the first week with a loss of 3.5#s. I am glad to have the loss, but thought it would be a bit more.

My biggest concern is the headache, that I have had every day. I have read in all the sticky threads that this is normal for a while, but how long does it usually last? I was under the impression that by the end of the first week, it would be done with! What I have not heard is the biological reason for the headache. If anyone has any input on the reasoning for the headaches, please let me know. It is not caffeine, for I have not drastically reduced my intake.

Biological reason would be similar to any withdrawal. Sugar/carb withdrawal is tough!

If you haven't cut back on caffeine, are you drinking enough water? An extra cup for each cup of coffee or other caffeine product.

I'll second what Delgen said in yesterday's thread: be sure to add salt. It helps the headaches at first. Add directly to your water or lick off your palm. Be sure you're getting 100% of required vitamins and oil, as well.

lisa32989
03-25-2013, 09:12 AM
I'd like to encourage people to participate in the "what are you eating today" thread.
I got a new idea yesterday
The more people who participate, the more ideas we will all get!
We have to plan anyway. Write it down & share with others.

I have a snow day today. We got 15" of snow in STL yesterday. Going for WI later but I'm getting on the home scale in a few minutes.

Happy Monday everyone!

A1Texan
03-25-2013, 09:42 AM
Went through my closet yesterday and pulled out everything I could wear and took it to Goodwill. Now my closet is bare. To top it off the pants I bought at Goodwill last week to get be by, slid off me this morning. I'm hitting another shop on the way home to pick up another pair. Even though the "Whoosh Fairy" is not visiting, I'm losing inches and have more energy.... :)

jeffiner
03-25-2013, 10:13 AM
I cant believe it! I have lost a total of 40lbs....why this number makes it so real to me I cant say, but holy cow..40 lbs!
I had a rough week about two weeks ago, went off plan and really struggled getting back on but Im proud to say that I am back on, fully OP and the scale is proving it! I thought I was done for..back in the same rut Ive experienced before..you know the I cant do it anymore, oh woes me, rut. BUT this time I buckled down, and said no excuses..and here I am..it worked. I know there are tough times ahead but for today I am going to bask in the glow of acheivment!

scorbett1103
03-25-2013, 10:18 AM
A1Texan - time for another trip to Goodwill!! Happy shopping!

jeffiner - that is awesome! Doesn't it feel amazing to have those victories?

What a crazy weekend - my husband was working at PAX East (big gaming convention in Boston, he runs games for Wizards of the Coast every year) so it was just me, the kids and our crazy schedule. Yesterday we left the house at 7am and had stuff on the schedule right up to bedtime. I woke up this morning feeling like I had a hangover (no wine or anything last night) so I am guessing I was probably low on my water intake yesterday. Chug-a-lugging today!

Hope everyone has a great Monday!

A1Texan
03-25-2013, 10:18 AM
I cant believe it! I have lost a total of 40lbs....why this number makes it so real to me I cant say, but holy cow..40 lbs!
I had a rough week about two weeks ago, went off plan and really struggled getting back on but Im proud to say that I am back on, fully OP and the scale is proving it! I thought I was done for..back in the same rut Ive experienced before..you know the I cant do it anymore, oh woes me, rut. BUT this time I buckled down, and said no excuses..and here I am..it worked. I know there are tough times ahead but for today I am going to bask in the glow of acheivment!
Awesome work Jeffiner and contrats on getting back OP:carrot:

Cheekyskeeter
03-25-2013, 10:19 AM
That's awesome A1Texan!!! Seeing the scale move is nice but it's the inches that really matter.

Good job jeffiner!!!

I hope you feel better Scorbett.

I also went through my closet yesterday and packed up everything that doesn't fit me any more and I too have very little hanging up. I went out and bought a couple pairs of pants this weekend as I really needed some new ones. I used to need to move most of my clothes out of my closet when the seasons change as I had no room but that won't be an issue this year. I need to go out and buy some summery clothes soon to take to Jamaica with me. I've already been shopping for bathing suits (and I bought ALL bikinis and loving them) so I'm pretty stocked up on those but need some little summer dresses as well. I did find some shorts my sister had given me ages ago that were way too small and they fit me now (and honestly if I were buying them I'd have gone a size down). It's awesome.

Hope everyone has a happy Monday. I'm at work but not sure how long I'm going to last as I'm really not feeling too well.

lisa32989
03-25-2013, 10:41 AM
Jeffers & Texan: yay! Isn't being OP the best???

The scale doesn't always move as we'd like it but results are in more ways than scales!

I did my early-summer shopping at second hand stores b/c I don't know where I'll end up. Everything I bought is still snug but I have some things that fit in the meantime. Going thru all these clothes has reminded me to go to those 2nd hand stores FIRST, before automatically looking for new. It is more environmentally friendly :). I didn't find what I needed spring coat-wise so I ordered a new one. My old one (think tent!) went to a friend. I hope she can downsize from the tent soon.

Pixie111
03-25-2013, 11:00 AM
WTG Jeffiner !

I had my 2nd WI and I was on TOM - I lost 0.8 . But I did lose half an inch off of my butt and half inch from my thigh. My fat is all around my midsection (apple shape) so I guess the first inches to come off are the ones where I'd put on last.

Donna Gel
03-25-2013, 11:01 AM
Husband was laughing at me last night at dinner. I made a taco salad and it was HUGE. About half way through, he said "You're tired of chewing aren't you?"

I will go for a WI tomorrow, but at this point my weight is irrelevant. As of this morning, I am comfortably back into size 9. I feel great! I am sleeping so much better without any kind of sleep aid, I have Chronic insomnia, so this is major. I have energy and my skin is clear. My stomach is flat, no more ugly apron of fat.

When I start phasing off , I will have to pay particular attention to how I feel. Most of what I have been eating is gluten and dairy free, so we will see how I react to them when I start having them again.

ladylunk
03-25-2013, 11:28 AM
When I start phasing off , I will have to pay particular attention to how I feel. Most of what I have been eating is gluten and dairy free, so we will see how I react to them when I start having them again.

Hi Donna Gel....What you have said is very interesting to me. I am phasing off for a holiday and am on Phase 3 and yesterday and unfortunately today horrible stomach pains. Was hoping for stomach flu, but I have not thrown up even though the ripping/bubbling in my stomach feels like that is what should be happening. I am now starting to wonder about allergies or intolerance in the food I have been reintroducing. I have never felt like I have been sensitive to any food before. Could I have had a sensitivaty and not had symptoms? Could this diet have given me a sensitivaty? Of course I do not have the right kind of foods on hand to either not do dairy or wheat this morning and follow a proper phase 3 breakfast plan so am trying to figure out a plan for rest of week. Still holding out hope it is a bug. It really does have an inflammed feeling.....If anyone has any experience with this kind of thing advice would be appreciated. I will also be searching old threads.

Jeffiner great loss wow! That happened fast. Way to buckle down and get back in the game mentally.

Donna Gel
03-25-2013, 12:20 PM
Hi Donna Gel....What you have said is very interesting to me. I am phasing off for a holiday and am on Phase 3 and yesterday and unfortunately today horrible stomach pains. Was hoping for stomach flu, but I have not thrown up even though the ripping/bubbling in my stomach feels like that is what should be happening. I am now starting to wonder about allergies or intolerance in the food I have been reintroducing. I have never felt like I have been sensitive to any food before. Could I have had a sensitivaty and not had symptoms? Could this diet have given me a sensitivaty?

It could very well be something you ate. I wouldn't say that IP gave you a sensitivity, but it may have removed symptoms that you just never noticed before. I'm not sure. My personal opinion has always been 95% of my medical issues are food related. Up until IP I never bothered trying to prove it.

mquinn106
03-25-2013, 12:30 PM
Morning everyone! Congrats Jennifer on hitting 40 :) I'm with Tex lately with the clothes department. I tried on a pair of 14's on Friday night wanting to wear them to dinner Saturday, didn't fit :( Tried them on yesterday for laughs, slid right on!! IP magic :) These are the "skinny" jeans from a few summers ago that I had been dying to fit into pre-IP. I can't wait till I hit 12's and beyond! If I don't re-surface it's because I'm bawling with excitement in my closet (or shopping!)

Hope everyone has a great OP IP day! And agree Lisa-no other way to be ;)

Sammie12
03-25-2013, 12:30 PM
Good morning everyone been off the boards for a couple of weeks. Got on the scale this am & can tell that not being accountable did not help my weight loss. My husband just left this am for an assignment for work so will be gone a few months. So today is my day 1 & I have already eliminated all hubby's food from the house so I can get back on track. Carbs have left the building! :) Hope everyone has a great day.

dawn again
03-25-2013, 12:35 PM
I so need to clean out my closet. I have all the 'too big' clothes in a pile so far, but not given away yet. I have a couple pair of jeans and a couple pair of dress pants that fit, but now it seems all my shirts are too big! My Mom keeps telling me it's a nice problem to have. LOL

evepet
03-25-2013, 12:39 PM
Hi Donna Gel....What you have said is very interesting to me. I am phasing off for a holiday and am on Phase 3 and yesterday and unfortunately today horrible stomach pains. Was hoping for stomach flu, but I have not thrown up even though the ripping/bubbling in my stomach feels like that is what should be happening. I am now starting to wonder about allergies or intolerance in the food I have been reintroducing. I have never felt like I have been sensitive to any food before. Could I have had a sensitivaty and not had symptoms? Could this diet have given me a sensitivaty? Of course I do not have the right kind of foods on hand to either not do dairy or wheat this morning and follow a proper phase 3 breakfast plan so am trying to figure out a plan for rest of week. Still holding out hope it is a bug. It really does have an inflammed feeling.....If anyone has any experience with this kind of thing advice would be appreciated. I will also be searching old threads.

Jeffiner great loss wow! That happened fast. Way to buckle down and get back in the game mentally.

I'm also on P3 and monitoring pretty carefully how I react when I use different grains in my breakfast. Was there anything different included for the first time since going on P3 in your breakfast yesterday & today?

ladylunk
03-25-2013, 12:41 PM
It could very well be something you ate. I wouldn't say that IP gave you a sensitivity, but it may have removed symptoms that you just never noticed before. I'm not sure. My personal opinion has always been 95% of my medical issues are food related. Up until IP I never bothered trying to prove it.

Thanks for the reply. Maybe my body pre ip was just used to whatever could be causing this? And after having a break from these foods it is showing me it's bad for me? If only I knew what it was.... I can't say I have any medical issues. Can usually pretty much handle any foods. Well used too. But these last two days really have me wondering. Switching phases I never had a care in the world about food sensitivity as I just never thought it applied to me. Now I wish I had factored it in. But the other part of me is really rebelling right now. I do not want to have a known allergy. Part of my mind set is just saying get over it everything will settle down soon. Bad way to think, but that's my bad side that does not want to deal with things.

fam4me
03-25-2013, 12:43 PM
I had a great day shopping with my mom yesterday. I bought a dress and "pretty" red shoes. I can't remember the last time I bought a dress. It was fun being able to choose an outfit instead of just buying what fit!

ZOMBIEDAWN
03-25-2013, 12:49 PM
Morning all! I just sat down to have a cup of choc drink (cocoa) and it's all froth! Does anyone have any tried and true methods of preparing it so this doesn't happen?

Today is going to be a good day. I'm going to have all of my packets today while at work since it's my TOM. I'm craving sweet and chocolate.....and bed! Can't wait til the work day is over.

Have a great day everyone!

ladylunk
03-25-2013, 12:50 PM
I'm also on P3 and monitoring pretty carefully how I react when I use different grains in my breakfast. Was there anything different included for the first time since going on P3 in your breakfast yesterday & today?

So you are watching grains more than dairy? I have used only muesli and whole wheat flour. Today is day four. For dairy first day yogurt. Second day tablespoon of cream cheese introduced. Third day (already feeling horrible at this point) introduced ricotta. All low fat versions of course. I actually woke up yesterday thinking my steak was too rich from the night before. First beef tenderloin since starting and it was a treat.

Jujubie
03-25-2013, 12:51 PM
Good morning everyone been off the boards for a couple of weeks. Got on the scale this am & can tell that not being accountable did not help my weight loss. My husband just left this am for an assignment for work so will be gone a few months. So today is my day 1 & I have already eliminated all hubby's food from the house so I can get back on track. Carbs have left the building! :) Hope everyone has a great day.

Good luck with your restart. Remember 1 day at a time!

ragdoll74
03-25-2013, 12:53 PM
Morning all! I just sat down to have a cup of choc drink (cocoa) and it's all froth! Does anyone have any tried and true methods of preparing it so this doesn't happen?

Today is going to be a good day. I'm going to have all of my packets today while at work since it's my TOM. I'm craving sweet and chocolate.....and bed! Can't wait til the work day is over.

Have a great day everyone!

Don't microwave it after mixing. I heat up the water seperately, then add a little bit of the hot water to the choc drink and stir until smooth. Then add the rest of the hot water.

lisa32989
03-25-2013, 12:56 PM
Hi Donna Gel....What you have said is very interesting to me. I am phasing off for a holiday and am on Phase 3 and yesterday and unfortunately today horrible stomach pains. Was hoping for stomach flu, but I have not thrown up even though the ripping/bubbling in my stomach feels like that is what should be happening. I am now starting to wonder about allergies or intolerance in the food I have been reintroducing. I have never felt like I have been sensitive to any food before. Could I have had a sensitivity and not had symptoms? Could this diet have given me a sensitivity? Of course I do not have the right kind of foods on hand to either not do dairy or wheat this morning and follow a proper phase 3 breakfast plan so am trying to figure out a plan for rest of week. Still holding out hope it is a bug. It really does have an inflamed feeling.....If anyone has any experience with this kind of thing advice would be appreciated. I will also be searching old threads.
Thanks for the reply. Maybe my body pre ip was just used to whatever could be causing this? And after having a break from these foods it is showing me it's bad for me? If only I knew what it was.... I can't say I have any medical issues. Can usually pretty much handle any foods. Well used too. But these last two days really have me wondering. Switching phases I never had a care in the world about food sensitivity as I just never thought it applied to me. Now I wish I had factored it in. But the other part of me is really rebelling right now. I do not want to have a known allergy. Part of my mind set is just saying get over it everything will settle down soon. Bad way to think, but that's my bad side that does not want to deal with things.

From things I've read over the years, I have some ideas:
First, when we don't eat something for a while (for example grains, dairy), the enzymes to digest it "hybernate". This is why if someone is vegetarian for a while but chooses to reintroduce meat, they get sick if they aren't very careful with the reintroduction. Reintroducing little by little is probably best.

Second, you could very well have some food sensitivities. IP wouldn't have caused them but could have made you more attuned to them. When we were just eating whatever, whenever, we hardly paused to pay attention to how it made us feel.

I decided to go gluten/soy free & when I had the "new" IP pasta, it clinched it for me. I wasn't 100% gluten free at that point but boy did my tummy rumble after that pasta. The soy is for another reason.

And I completely understand "rebelling". Folks who were around when I gave up soy & started reading IP labels will recall my hissy fit. I had a VERY tearful weekend and at one point was thinking I wouldn't be about to do this diet. But you know what? We do what we need to do.

It may settle down...if it is just needing to "reawaken" the correct enzymes for digesting the food. If it doesn't, you'll know soon enough. In the meantime, keep track of what you eat and how you feel. Do you take digestive enzymes? It may help until all settles down.

I had a great day shopping with my mom yesterday. I bought a dress and "pretty" red shoes. I can't remember the last time I bought a dress. It was fun being able to choose an outfit instead of just buying what fit!
Oh so fun! I have a couple of dresses that fit again but I realized I have no shoes to wear with them. In addition to being over 100 lbs overweight I needed foot surgery (which I had last May) and could only wear Birks. I need some cute shoes for the cute dress. My foot is still in the final stages of healing so I'll have to be selective (no 5" heels like Monica)

I so need to clean out my closet. I have all the 'too big' clothes in a pile so far, but not given away yet. I have a couple pair of jeans and a couple pair of dress pants that fit, but now it seems all my shirts are too big! My Mom keeps telling me it's a nice problem to have. LOL
My mom says things like that too. It IS nice, but at the same time, a girl must be DRESSED!

learn2012
03-25-2013, 12:59 PM
fam4me- You look great! I can't wait to be down to the weight you are! Awesome job!

ZOMBIEDAWN
03-25-2013, 01:05 PM
Don't microwave it after mixing. I heat up the water seperately, then add a little bit of the hot water to the choc drink and stir until smooth. Then add the rest of the hot water.

Ahhhhh... Makes sense! Thanks! :)

safetylady
03-25-2013, 01:28 PM
Afternoon everyone - my third full week on program will be this Thursday. So far, it has been so easy to follow. Today I met with my Health Coach at work (work has a great Wellnes Program which is totally separate from IP) and told her that I thought my goal weight should be 137 because that would put min in the normal weight BMI catagory. While see was fine with it she told me not to get hung up on the BMI. Sooooo... somewhere between 137-140 will be my goal. Will see how I feel.

evepet
03-25-2013, 01:39 PM
So you are watching grains more than dairy? I have used only muesli and whole wheat flour. Today is day four. For dairy first day yogurt. Second day tablespoon of cream cheese introduced. Third day (already feeling horrible at this point) introduced ricotta. All low fat versions of course. I actually woke up yesterday thinking my steak was too rich from the night before. First beef tenderloin since starting and it was a treat.

Yes, I'm more concerned personally with seeing how different grains are going to affect me. I already pretty much know that I'm slightly lactose intolerant, and have been using almond milk. Plus I've added a fair amount of lower fat Greek Yogourt and Ricotta Cheese for my dairy. For the grains, I've been using mostly oatmeal, oat bran, quinoa... some of my P3 breakfasts include 1/2 of a whole wheat english muffin, but that's the only wheat I've included so far. Interesting point you made about the rich beef tenderloin... I can see the 'richness' maybe affecting your digestive system temporarily, but doubt it would last into today as well.

ladylunk
03-25-2013, 01:52 PM
From things I've read over the years, I have some ideas:
First, when we don't eat something for a while (for example grains, dairy), the enzymes to digest it "hybernate". This is why if someone is vegetarian for a while but chooses to reintroduce meat, they get sick if they aren't very careful with the reintroduction. Reintroducing little by little is probably best.

Second, you could very well have some food sensitivities. IP wouldn't have caused them but could have made you more attuned to them. When we were just eating whatever, whenever, we hardly paused to pay attention to how it made us feel.

I decided to go gluten/soy free & when I had the "new" IP pasta, it clinched it for me. I wasn't 100% gluten free at that point but boy did my tummy rumble after that pasta. The soy is for another reason.

And I completely understand "rebelling". Folks who were around when I gave up soy & started reading IP labels will recall my hissy fit. I had a VERY tearful weekend and at one point was thinking I wouldn't be about to do this diet. But you know what? We do what we need to do.

It may settle down...if it is just needing to "reawaken" the correct enzymes for digesting the food. If it doesn't, you'll know soon enough. In the meantime, keep track of what you eat and how you feel. Do you take digestive enzymes? It may help until all settles down.

!

Thanks Lisa good to hear from you as I know you encountered food sensitivity early on. Let's hope it's just waking up! I like that idea much better! I'll just keep going for the next few days with what I have already purchased and see if it calms down. I actually don't know what digestive enzymes are. Probiotics?

Yes, I'm more concerned personally with seeing how different grains are going to affect me. I already pretty much know that I'm slightly lactose intolerant, and have been using almond milk. Plus I've added a fair amount of lower fat Greek Yogourt and Ricotta Cheese for my dairy. For the grains, I've been using mostly oatmeal, oat bran, quinoa... some of my P3 breakfasts include 1/2 of a whole wheat english muffin, but that's the only wheat I've included so far. Interesting point you made about the rich beef tenderloin... I can see the 'richness' maybe affecting your digestive system temporarily, but doubt it would last into today as well.

Shoot about the steak. I am going to monitor and hopefully this will calm down. I guess muesli was not the smartest thing to purchase to start off with it has all kinds of grains in there. Appreciate the advice.

pinkeetoz
03-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Tried on a pair of size 10 shorts and they fit!! The brand name is Sonoma and I know that they run big but the size 12's in jeans that I've worn through the winter or getting lose. I've also lost 3 1/2 inches in my waist. Yaaaayyy!!

Now as far as my weight...I am actually 2 lbs heavier in the last two days and I think it has a lot to do with being constipated. I've taken a laxative for the past two days but no luck any suggestions?

Wild wire
03-25-2013, 02:51 PM
I was looking at some alternative products and the nutritional values had sugar alcohols listed under carbs. How do I figure out the net carbs? Subtract dietary fibre & the sugar alcohols from the total or just the fibre?

lisa32989
03-25-2013, 03:22 PM
Enzymes aren't probiotics.
IP sells some. I get mine at Whole foods.

specialg100
03-25-2013, 03:34 PM
Hello - i am a new IP member as of today. I'm excited! My coach defined my first week of food for me and it includes the vegetable chili but i find it is not really to my liking. Any suggestions for how to make this more palatable for a first phaser?

M35A2
03-25-2013, 03:51 PM
Hello - i am a new IP member as of today. I'm excited! My coach defined my first week of food for me and it includes the vegetable chili but i find it is not really to my liking. Any suggestions for how to make this more palatable for a first phaser?

Mixing it with some ground beef or ground turkey can stretch it and change the flavor a bit. You can also add some additional chili powder or cayanne pepper to it. If you still don't like it just give it a few weeks and try it again. Tastes seem to change over the course of the program and something you don't like know (or do like) may not taste the same in a month.

ZOMBIEDAWN
03-25-2013, 03:53 PM

The first time I had it, I added some broccoli, garlic and chicken to it and some additional water. SOOOO good!

Good luck to you!

lisa32989
03-25-2013, 04:16 PM

Welcome to Your last diet! I've never had the chili as it didn't appeal to me. My coach allowed me to trade items I wasn't fond of. You may want to ask. Set the items you don't like aside and trade out late in the week

ladylunk
03-25-2013, 04:17 PM
Enzymes aren't probiotics.
IP sells some. I get mine at Whole foods.

I just went and bought Jamieson brand Digestive Enzymes. Taking it with lunch. Thanks for the suggestion. And guess where the pharmascist pointed me? To probiotics. They were a little to pricey so I hunted these ones down.

ladylunk
03-25-2013, 04:22 PM

Welcome. I agree with others your tastes will change. I have never been interested in the chili and have not tried it. Hopefully your coach did not give you too many to eat through the week. They are also restricted so for me I don't like to miss out on my sweet treat (bar or soy puffs) to have chili. That's just how I like things though. Maybe your coach found out what kind of stuff you liked first?

evepet
03-25-2013, 04:28 PM
I was looking at some alternative products and the nutritional values had sugar alcohols listed under carbs. How do I figure out the net carbs? Subtract dietary fibre & the sugar alcohols from the total or just the fibre?

I read somewhere in the IP literature that we're allowed to subtract 1/2 of the sugar alcohols + all of the fibre. I think this is because there are many different sugar alcohols, and different people have various levels of sensitivity to them insofar as how they affect their blood glucose level, so a good compromise was to go with subtracting with 1/2 of the total.

JenRem
03-25-2013, 04:44 PM
ladylunk -
or anyone interested in food sensitivities/triggers topic.
If not interested in this topic - don't read. It's a very long post!!!

I did a very intense program about 13 years ago (Beyond Dieting by Dr. Charles Bates) that involved "testing" food to determine what sensitivities one might have or trigger foods that would cause you to want to overeat. People that suffered from fibromyalgia also did really well on this program and what it could teach them about the foods they were eating potentially making them feel worse/have worse symptoms.

A little backgground on me. I was almost 30 and did this program to lose weight mostly - a time in my life where again I was at my wits end with how I looked and felt. I was an overeater and it was hard to find a diet where I didn't feel deprived. I love/loved to eat and never felt there was an emotional reason behind my overeating (like Oprah always seemed to search for on her shows). I had awesome parents, an awesome childhood, never been sexually/physically/verbally/emotionally abused. I felt it was that food simply tasted good and there was so much food available to us that tasted great lol! For me I believe there was also a genetic disposition (if you look at the members of my immediate and extended family). I do have to admit that besides food tasting great (and later realizing that carbs can be addicting), a lot of my overeating was probably out of habit and boredom.

One point that this process made me realize....... We all accept that if we take a new medication that we might experience a side effect from it. In fact , you'll be warned with a long list of potential side effects on the box/written handout about the medication. Lots of times people will think that if they take an herbal, that it's "natural" therefore their bodies should NOT have any problems. Of course, you can have a side effect with an herbal just as easily as taking a Tylenol or Advil. Our bodies are of truly amazing design and we are all different in how our bodies respond to outside things brought internally. Most of us have never even consider that food might/does cause side effects.

So, we all started out on this soon to be very informative journey for ourselves. We began with a pretty severe detox. We had a list of limited foods from most food groups that we ate in any amout we were hungy for, for about 3 weeks, ie meats for protein, rice for carbs, fruits, veggies. This was even stricter than IP, in that you couldn't eat anything off the list or it would/could "cloud" your results down the road. Dr. Bates encouraged us to get the food on the lists organic and the in the most natural/basic form. For example, the problem with having bread is that if you look at the list of ingredients, there are so so many things put in it that it would be almost impossible to know which of those ingredients is causing the problem if a problem occurred. After this 3 week period we felt extremely "clean". I feel good on IP, I felt the BEST I've ever felt in my whole life after this detox.

Most everyone was fine with all those foods on the original list (no sensitivities) and we called these foods our "safe foods". Note: if someone had a problem with a food from that list, Dr. Bates would work with them individually to find which food and that would be removed form that persons list of "safe foods".

After the 3 week detox, we would add one food in at a time and "test" it to see if we had any changes in our "clean" state. He started us off "testing" foods that again were lower on the list of foods that might cause problems for most people. Thus, the biggie foods (dairy, sugar, wheat, etc) were saved for much later in the program. His approach dealt heavy with inflammation as a huge culprit and result to foods that weren't good for us as individuals. The list of problems/symptoms/changes in how you feel while "testing" a food could be just about anything: cravings, headache, mild depression, indigestion, pain, heartburn, insomnia, muscle aches, irritability, fatigue, bloating, weight gain,..... more but I can't recall them all at this time.

It was a very interesting and eye opening process. I viewed this time as an "experiment" rather than allowing myself to feel deprived by all the foods we couldn't eat. And of course, very much like IP, felt pretty crummy for the first week and had no hunger issues to speak of after that. Food no longer was the front seat driver in my life, in fact it was now in the last seat on a big bus lol! This was the first time in my life where the saying "Live to Eat vs Eat to live" was truly fully comprehended. I had no form of sugar or equivalent type additives except for fructose (thru peaches, pears) for more than 4 months and this was so amazing to me and those around me who were aware. Kind of like Ishbel not having "chocolate" for a whole year!

The big triggers tended to be wheat, sugar. Possibly gluten and soy now would be big also (just speculating) since this was 13 years ago.
When we were "testing" a food, we only ate foods from our "safe food" list. Thus, you wouldn't "test" two foods at the same time because you wouldn't know which was causing the problem if there was one and so you'd waste a lot of time backtracking.

So, for example - say I wanted to test a tomato. On day one, I'd have 1/4 tomato along with my other "safe foods". On day two, I'd have 1/2 tomato. On day three, I'd have a whole tomato or maybe even 2 tomatoes just to be sure. If on day one, I had no noticeable symptoms then I would continue to day two. If after day two, I thought I might be having some muscle aches (for example) but wasn't sure I would continue to day three. You'd continue on with the testing if for any reason you were unsure: was I really having muscle aches? maybe the muscle aches were from walking a bunch of stairs that day that weren't in my normal daily life? or maybe I thought I might be coming down with the flu? Whatever caused me to be unsure didn't matter, I would just continue to the next day of "testing" which is when I would increase the amount of tomato I was having. If I wasn't having muscle aches from the stairs or from the flu - if it really was coming from the tomato, the symptom would be more extreme as I increased the amount of tomato I was consuming. Some foods you might have to test for 4-6 days to really determine what was happening, but the normal process was 3 days to test a food.

If the tomato was a "problem" food for me (if I had any of the above listed symptoms) then I'd note it in my Journal and keep good records about the whole occurrence. It would not go on my "safe foods" list if I had a problem with it because it would "muddy/cloudy" the "testing" of more foods. However, when everything was said and done and I was done "testing" foods, I could make a personal choice in my life whether I wanted to still eat tomatos (despite what I learned). I would weigh how much I loved tomatoes against the symptoms I was having from eating it.

So, if my goal in "testing" foods was to find out my "trigger" foods for overeating then I wouldn't eat tomato if I had cravings for other foods.
If I only had indigestion while testing tomato, then I could decide which was more important to me: eating/loving the taste of tomato or not experiencing indigestion. Or better yet, finding a balance by learning that only a 1/2 tomato at a time didn't cause any indigestion, but if I ate a whole tomato then I'd get indigestion. And I could make the choice each and every time I was presented with the option to have tomato (not while "testing" food though.)

People could take as long as they wanted to "test" all kinds of different foods. And we tended to test only the food that we really liked and wanted to eat in our everyday lives. Why waste the time testing a turnip if you didn't like them lol!

Some interesting results that I experienced....
1. There was a food (and it's funny that I don't recall now what it was) that caused me to become very irritable. The way this was evident was while my husband and I were driving somewhere. Some info first - I am a quicker/more observant/aggressive driver than my husband and usually drive 5-7 mph faster than the speed limit (what I can get away with hopefully without getting a ticket lol). If we're in a hurry to get somewhere, we learned after many years of marriage to have me be the driver. He is more of a "stop and smell the roses" driver; he notices the flowers blooming alongside the road, etc.
Well this one day he was driving and I had this unexplainable super strong urge to put my left hand down on his right leg in order to force him to accelerate. He wasn't doing anything wrong and we weren't in a hurry. I was just annoyed that we weren't going fast enough. Really annoyed! Soo much that it almost felt like there was an invisible force taking my hand against my logical brain to reach towards his leg. Very intense and crazy feeling. Now, I know some of you women might be saying it could just be TOM and you were feeling *****y. Well, that could it explain it too, but I'm not normally a *****y type person with or w/o TOM. If TOM was a concern/unsure, I would have spent more days "testing" that food to be sure; I might have had to test until TOM was completely over, but if the symptom of irritability was coming from the food, it would continue and get worse as a larger amount of the "testing" food was consumed.
2. I learned that the huge trigger for overeating was not sugar as I suspected. When I tested sugar, I added 1/4 cup to my canned peaches (nothing else added) to day one. Added 1/2 cup sugar on day two. Added 1 cup sugar on day three. Shocked no symptoms and no weight gain (which is what we would see if the food was causing inflammation/water retention). So, day four I added 3 cups sugar and still no response (I believe there is about 800 calories = 1 cup sugar). Dr. Bates and I were very surprised and as a side note, I didn't really think wheat would be a problem because I was never one for wanting to overeat breads and things. I loved sweets. So, what could my trigger be??? Well, I had been testing food for about 5 months now (and was getting a little tired of my limited list of foods that I could eat. One day, I was at a friends where she had some homemade salsa. So, I had some corn tortilla chips (pretty basic ingredients) and her homemade salsa that was all veggies that I did fine with "safe foods" list.
A few hours later at home, I was sitting on the couch watching TV. And out of nowhere I had this intense, very strong desire to munch/snack on something - anything!!! One of those moments when you stand in front of the refrigerator or pantry looking for whatever it is you are craving. It was a super huge craving, drove me off the couch and don't remember what I started snacking on, but I wanted to eat and eat and eat. Thus, I learned my big trigger - corn. Yes, corn. Who would've guessed, right? Well, I've always liked corn. I like it as a side at dinner, loved corn on the cob, love Fritos. But a trigger? Hhhmmmm! Duh! (hitting forehead with the palm of my hand)! What is one of the sweetening ingredient in almost all candy/sweets. High Fructose Corn Syrup. ding, ding, ding - the bell went off in my head.
3. My neighbor at the time did suffer from fibromyalgia. After I had went thru the program, I recommended it to her even though her reasons would be to have less pain whereas I wanted to lose weight. She was in to the testing food phase and decided to next test oatmeal. Before this program, she had oatmeal every morning. Oatmeal is always touted as a heart benefical breakfast food (and it very well could be). Well, on the first day testing she had such pain after eating oatmeal that she didn't get out of bed for 3 days. This "healthy" food was not good for her body. And to think that she had been eating it everyday for breakfast for who knows how long. No wonder she had fibromyalgia symptoms every day. It just wasn't until she was "clean" went thru detox that she could see/feel how bad this one food effected her body. She didn't need to test the food longer than day 1 since her result was so strongly confirmed.

I loved this experience and really found it eye opening. In a perfect world I would utilize all I learned wholeheartedly and feel 100% great everyday and be at a healthy weight for my body. However, it is very hard to truly stay "clean" when you go to restaurants and social gatherings where it's impossible to know all the ingredients added to any meal/food/drink. Mabye if the goal for me had been to lessen fibromyalgia or migraines or something that was so miserable that the "giving" up of certain foods made my daily life more bearable/comfortable by being symptom free, I would have followed what I learned to a "T".

Since my goal, was to learn what my trigger foods were, at some point I allowed those foods back into my life and "gave in" to the cravings and addiction of carb based foods. This was my first real attempt at losing weight (which I did, I think I lost about 65lbs), but over time I continued to eat the wrong foods and gained the weight back. I'm hoping to incorporate some of what I learned about my trigger foods and use it in P4 Maintenance of IP. I'm really absorbing this time around with my IP weight loss that changes HAVE to me made or I will gain the weight back.

Ladylunk - hopefully you were able to glean something from this extremely LONG post. I guess I'd say that it's worth taking a week of your life to determine if you have a sensitivity (or whatever you want to call it) to one of those foods from P3 - if you haven't figured out the problem coming from something else in the meantime.
Maybe you don't have time to do it now or are in denial too much to want to do it now. It can always be done down the road. The symptom you are having of the upset stomach seems strong enough to want to find out the culprit. Even if you learn that the culprit is a food sensitivity, that doesn't mean you can't have that food ever again(if the symptom truly is coming from the food). It just means you have to weigh the pros/cons of having the food in in your life and how much you are willing to experience the consequences.

Let me know if you (or anyone has questions). :) Jen

ladylunk
03-25-2013, 04:47 PM
Thanks Jen Rem. Haven't read, just going to fill up my decafe coffee first to sit down for a read!

JenRem
03-25-2013, 05:04 PM

I think most IPer's don't subtract the sugar alcohols. This would also be the more conservative path.
Also, keep in mind that the sugar alcohols (specifically certain sugar alcohols) are the ones that cause cause stomach upset/diarrhea. So, if you eat products that aren't high in sugar alcohols, you'll be a lot less likely to experience this symptom.

Welcome to Your last diet! I've never had the chili as it didn't appeal to me. My coach allowed me to trade items I wasn't fond of. You may want to ask. Set the items you don't like aside and trade out late in the week

specialg100 WELCOME
My IP clinic also gave me a weeks worth of food that they had planned out. I think they had good intentions - thinking it would be a lot less stressful for people to try to figure out the whole restricted/non-restricted part and having the first week already "thought" out for them. I really struggled the first couple of days with the taste of the IP food (almos quit and so THANKFUL I didnt'). It could have been attritbuted to a few different things: I was giving up good tasting carbs, more non-sugar sweeteners that I wasn't used to the taste and can leave aftertastes, and simply being "told" to eat a food that may not be appealing to me under any circumstance. For example, I personally have never really tried cream of broccoli soup. Therefore, I don't think the first week (or even the first month while tastebuds are changing/adjusting) is the appropriate time to TRY IP's cream of broccoli soup.
Yes, ask your clinic if you can come back and change some of the foods that you just don't want to try - maybe you'll try down the road. I had to go in mid-week the 1st week to make the changes with my clinic.

I just don't think it's smart to try foods that you aren't sure you will like in the first week. Pick things that sound good to you!
Good Luck! :) Jen

evepet
03-25-2013, 05:09 PM
ladylunk -
or anyone interested in food sensitivities/triggers topic.
If not interested in this topic - don't read. It's a very long post!!!

I did a very intense program about 13 years ago (Beyond Dieting by Dr. Charles Bates) that involved "testing" food to determine what sensitivities one might have or trigger foods that would cause you to want to overeat. People that suffered from fibromyalgia also did really well on this program and what it could teach them about the foods they were eating potentially making them feel worse/have worse symptoms.

A little backgground on me. I was almost 30 and did this program to lose weight mostly - a time in my life where again I was at my wits end with how I looked and felt. I was an overeater and it was hard to find a diet where I didn't feel deprived. I love/loved to eat and never felt there was an emotional reason behind my overeating (like Oprah always seemed to search for on her shows). I had awesome parents, an awesome childhood, never been sexually/physically/verbally/emotionally abused. I felt it was that food simply tasted good and there was so much food available to us that tasted great lol! For me I believe there was also a genetic disposition (if you look at the members of my immediate and extended family). I do have to admit that besides food tasting great (and later realizing that carbs can be addicting), a lot of my overeating was probably out of habit and boredom.

One point that this process made me realize....... We all accept that if we take a new medication that we might experience a side effect from it. In fact , you'll be warned with a long list of potential side effects on the box/written handout about the medication. Lots of times people will think that if they take an herbal, that it's "natural" therefore their bodies should NOT have any problems. Of course, you can have a side effect with an herbal just as easily as taking a Tylenol or Advil. Our bodies are of truly amazing design and we are all different in how our bodies respond to outside things brought internally. Most of us have never even consider that food might/does cause side effects.

So, we all started out on this soon to be very informative journey for ourselves. We began with a pretty severe detox. We had a list of limited foods from most food groups that we ate in any amout we were hungy for, for about 3 weeks, ie meats for protein, rice for carbs, fruits, veggies. This was even stricter than IP, in that you couldn't eat anything off the list or it would/could "cloud" your results down the road. Dr. Bates encouraged us to get the food on the lists organic and the in the most natural/basic form. For example, the problem with having bread is that if you look at the list of ingredients, there are so so many things put in it that it would be almost impossible to know which of those ingredients is causing the problem if a problem occurred. After this 3 week period we felt extremely "clean". I feel good on IP, I felt the BEST I've ever felt in my whole life after this detox.

Most everyone was fine with all those foods on the original list (no sensitivities) and we called these foods our "safe foods". Note: if someone had a problem with a food from that list, Dr. Bates would work with them individually to find which food and that would be removed form that persons list of "safe foods".

After the 3 week detox, we would add one food in at a time and "test" it to see if we had any changes in our "clean" state. He started us off "testing" foods that again were lower on the list of foods that might cause problems for most people. Thus, the biggie foods (dairy, sugar, wheat, etc) were saved for much later in the program. His approach dealt heavy with inflammation as a huge culprit and result to foods that weren't good for us as individuals. The list of problems/symptoms/changes in how you feel while "testing" a food could be just about anything: cravings, headache, mild depression, indigestion, pain, heartburn, insomnia, muscle aches, irritability, fatigue, bloating, weight gain,..... more but I can't recall them all at this time.

It was a very interesting and eye opening process. I viewed this time as an "experiment" rather than allowing myself to feel deprived by all the foods we couldn't eat. And of course, very much like IP, felt pretty crummy for the first week and had no hunger issues to speak of after that. Food no longer was the front seat driver in my life, in fact it was now in the last seat on a big bus lol! This was the first time in my life where the saying "Live to Eat vs Eat to live" was truly fully comprehended. I had no form of sugar or equivalent type additives except for fructose (thru peaches, pears) for more than 4 months and this was so amazing to me and those around me who were aware. Kind of like Ishbel not having "chocolate" for a whole year!

The big triggers tended to be wheat, sugar. Possibly gluten and soy now would be big also (just speculating) since this was 13 years ago.
When we were "testing" a food, we only ate foods from our "safe food" list. Thus, you wouldn't "test" two foods at the same time because you wouldn't know which was causing the problem if there was one and so you'd waste a lot of time backtracking.

So, for example - say I wanted to test a tomato. On day one, I'd have 1/4 tomato along with my other "safe foods". On day two, I'd have 1/2 tomato. On day three, I'd have a whole tomato or maybe even 2 tomatoes just to be sure. If on day one, I had no noticeable symptoms then I would continue to day two. If after day two, I thought I might be having some muscle aches (for example) but wasn't sure I would continue to day three. You'd continue on with the testing if for any reason you were unsure: was I really having muscle aches? maybe the muscle aches were from walking a bunch of stairs that day that weren't in my normal daily life? or maybe I thought I might be coming down with the flu? Whatever caused me to be unsure didn't matter, I would just continue to the next day of "testing" which is when I would increase the amount of tomato I was having. If I wasn't having muscle aches from the stairs or from the flu - if it really was coming from the tomato, the symptom would be more extreme as I increased the amount of tomato I was consuming. Some foods you might have to test for 4-6 days to really determine what was happening, but the normal process was 3 days to test a food.

If the tomato was a "problem" food for me (if I had any of the above listed symptoms) then I'd note it in my Journal and keep good records about the whole occurrence. It would not go on my "safe foods" list if I had a problem with it because it would "muddy/cloudy" the "testing" of more foods. However, when everything was said and done and I was done "testing" foods, I could make a personal choice in my life whether I wanted to still eat tomatos (despite what I learned). I would weigh how much I loved tomatoes against the symptoms I was having from eating it.

So, if my goal in "testing" foods was to find out my "trigger" foods for overeating then I wouldn't eat tomato if I had cravings for other foods.
If I only had indigestion while testing tomato, then I could decide which was more important to me: eating/loving the taste of tomato or not experiencing indigestion. Or better yet, finding a balance by learning that only a 1/2 tomato at a time didn't cause any indigestion, but if I ate a whole tomato then I'd get indigestion. And I could make the choice each and every time I was presented with the option to have tomato (not while "testing" food though.)

People could take as long as they wanted to "test" all kinds of different foods. And we tended to test only the food that we really liked and wanted to eat in our everyday lives. Why waste the time testing a turnip if you didn't like them lol!

Some interesting results that I experienced....
1. There was a food (and it's funny that I don't recall now what it was) that caused me to become very irritable. The way this was evident was while my husband and I were driving somewhere. Some info first - I am a quicker/more observant/aggressive driver than my husband and usually drive 5-7 mph faster than the speed limit (what I can get away with hopefully without getting a ticket lol). If we're in a hurry to get somewhere, we learned after many years of marriage to have me be the driver. He is more of a "stop and smell the roses" driver; he notices the flowers blooming alongside the road, etc.
Well this one day he was driving and I had this unexplainable super strong urge to put my left hand down on his right leg in order to force him to accelerate. He wasn't doing anything wrong and we weren't in a hurry. I was just annoyed that we weren't going fast enough. Really annoyed! Soo much that it almost felt like there was an invisible force taking my hand against my logical brain to reach towards his leg. Very intense and crazy feeling. Now, I know some of you women might be saying it could just be TOM and you were feeling *****y. Well, that could it explain it too, but I'm not normally a *****y type person with or w/o TOM. If TOM was a concern/unsure, I would have spent more days "testing" that food to be sure; I might have had to test until TOM was completely over, but if the symptom of irritability was coming from the food, it would continue and get worse as a larger amount of the "testing" food was consumed.
2. I learned that the huge trigger for overeating was not sugar as I suspected. When I tested sugar, I added 1/4 cup to my canned peaches (nothing else added) to day one. Added 1/2 cup sugar on day two. Added 1 cup sugar on day three. Shocked no symptoms and no weight gain (which is what we would see if the food was causing inflammation/water retention). So, day four I added 3 cups sugar and still no response (I believe there is about 800 calories = 1 cup sugar). Dr. Bates and I were very surprised and as a side note, I didn't really think wheat would be a problem because I was never one for wanting to overeat breads and things. I loved sweets. So, what could my trigger be??? Well, I had been testing food for about 5 months now (and was getting a little tired of my limited list of foods that I could eat. One day, I was at a friends where she had some homemade salsa. So, I had some corn tortilla chips (pretty basic ingredients) and her homemade salsa that was all veggies that I did fine with "safe foods" list.
A few hours later at home, I was sitting on the couch watching TV. And out of nowhere I had this intense, very strong desire to munch/snack on something - anything!!! One of those moments when you stand in front of the refrigerator or pantry looking for whatever it is you are craving. It was a super huge craving, drove me off the couch and don't remember what I started snacking on, but I wanted to eat and eat and eat. Thus, I learned my big trigger - corn. Yes, corn. Who would've guessed, right? Well, I've always liked corn. I like it as a side at dinner, loved corn on the cob, love Fritos. But a trigger? Hhhmmmm! Duh! (hitting forehead with the palm of my hand)! What is one of the sweetening ingredient in almost all candy/sweets. High Fructose Corn Syrup. ding, ding, ding - the bell went off in my head.
3. My neighbor at the time did suffer from fibromyalgia. After I had went thru the program, I recommended it to her even though her reasons would be to have less pain whereas I wanted to lose weight. She was in to the testing food phase and decided to next test oatmeal. Before this program, she had oatmeal every morning. Oatmeal is always touted as a heart benefical breakfast food (and it very well could be). Well, on the first day testing she had such pain after eating oatmeal that she didn't get out of bed for 3 days. This "healthy" food was not good for her body. And to think that she had been eating it everyday for breakfast for who knows how long. No wonder she had fibromyalgia symptoms every day. It just wasn't until she was "clean" went thru detox that she could see/feel how bad this one food effected her body. She didn't need to test the food longer than day 1 since her result was so strongly confirmed.

I loved this experience and really found it eye opening. In a perfect world I would utilize all I learned wholeheartedly and feel 100% great everyday and be at a healthy weight for my body. However, it is very hard to truly stay "clean" when you go to restaurants and social gatherings where it's impossible to know all the ingredients added to any meal/food/drink. Mabye if the goal for me had been to lessen fibromyalgia or migraines or something that was so miserable that the "giving" up of certain foods made my daily life more bearable/comfortable by being symptom free, I would have followed what I learned to a "T".

Since my goal, was to learn what my trigger foods were, at some point I allowed those foods back into my life and "gave in" to the cravings and addiction of carb based foods. This was my first real attempt at losing weight (which I did, I think I lost about 65lbs), but over time I continued to eat the wrong foods and gained the weight back. I'm hoping to incorporate some of what I learned about my trigger foods and use it in P4 Maintenance of IP. I'm really absorbing this time around with my IP weight loss that changes HAVE to me made or I will gain the weight back.

Ladylunk - hopefully you were able to glean something from this extremely LONG post. I guess I'd say that it's worth taking a week of your life to determine if you have a sensitivity (or whatever you want to call it) to one of those foods from P3 - if you haven't figured out the problem coming from something else in the meantime.
Maybe you don't have time to do it now or are in denial too much to want to do it now. It can always be done down the road. The symptom you are having of the upset stomach seems strong enough to want to find out the culprit. Even if you learn that the culprit is a food sensitivity, that doesn't mean you can't have that food ever again(if the symptom truly is coming from the food). It just means you have to weigh the pros/cons of having the food in in your life and how much you are willing to experience the consequences.

Let me know if you (or anyone has questions). :) Jen

What an interesting experience to go through. Thanks for sharing that. It reinforced my decision to re-introduce foods that have been 'banned' these past months slowly and one at a time, and really pay attention to how my body responds as I do so.

JenRem
03-25-2013, 05:13 PM
What an interesting experience to go through. Thanks for sharing that. It reinforced my decision to re-introduce foods that have been 'banned' these past months slowly and one at a time, and really pay attention to how my body responds as I do so.

You're welcome. Let me know how the "testing" goes.
Feel free to IM me personally, if you have any specific questions or don't think it's valuable information to post for everyone to see. Good Luck!

dawn again
03-25-2013, 05:14 PM
Tried on a pair of size 10 shorts and they fit!! The brand name is Sonoma and I know that they run big but the size 12's in jeans that I've worn through the winter or getting lose. I've also lost 3 1/2 inches in my waist. Yaaaayyy!!

Now as far as my weight...I am actually 2 lbs heavier in the last two days and I think it has a lot to do with being constipated. I've taken a laxative for the past two days but no luck any suggestions?

Always fun when you drop a size!! As for the other, I had the same problem at first and now I take Miralax every day. It's fiber and you can pour it right into your water or even morning coffee. It doesn't taste and quickly dissolves too. Hope this helps. Sure helped me.

ladylunk
03-25-2013, 05:18 PM
Wow thanks for putting all that effort in to show me your experience with this. Your right about the denial, I have been so looking forward to my phase off and fun time and not thinking about the program for awhile. I know not the healthy way to do things, but how I wanted to....

I am figuring out how to proceed from here on in. I feel like I am not going to focus on figuring out these symptoms once I am gone and only have till Friday to actually get somewhere with it. So am really hoping my body just gets used to it again and forget about it until I redo this Phase 3 later and know to watch what I am adding in.

If its the foods you over ate most that can be the culprit for allergies then flour and sugar are going to be it I bet. Possibly that corn syrup like you. Isn't it weird what we ate most of, was what your body doesn't like? How can that even be when I would eat it everyday and feel fine? And now have this pain? I do know that if it keeps up I will be staying away from things as it's really no fun. It could actually be a good thing down the road if I know my body can't handle it. I guess it's not letting your body get used to it that is the key. Which I just don't want to let go of right now! Stomping my feet!

lisa32989
03-25-2013, 05:48 PM
Isn't it weird what we ate most of, was what your body doesn't like?
It IS strange but I've read it over & over again from many sources...

JenRem
03-25-2013, 06:28 PM
Isn't it weird what we ate most of, was what your body doesn't like? How can that even be when I would eat it everyday and feel fine?

I will use a word that some will agree/disagree with:
Addiction
I have never had an addiction to alcohol or tobacco or drugs.... so, I can't speak to how much more addicting these products might be more than food, but I'm a firm believer that a part of why some of us overeat isn't entirely (or at all) because we lack willpower or because we are pathetic. It's because there is something in those foods we love that trigger off the happy neurotransmitters (norephinephrine and dopamine) in our brain. And our brain LIKES them and LIKES being happy.

So, NO, I don't find it "weird" that we mostly ate what our body doesn't like (even though it might have been suffering some or all of those symptoms I shared earlier). When we have an "addiction" (wherever you want to put that word on the spectrum) our body craves/wants that item regardless of how much it effects our life/our body. We are all shocked at the drug addict who loses their family, home, job and is living off the street, etc. But it shows how hard the addiction can be for some and what the person will "give up" in order to get their "fix" that the brain demands.
And I don't think you felt "fine" everyday - I think that way of feeling had just become your "norm" and you accepted it either because you didn't want to give up those foods or you didn't know how to change. (I'm speaking to myself here as well!)
***When we do "test" a food for sensitvity/trigger after becoming "clean/detoxed", the symptom seems more pronounced because it's not competing with all the other symptoms that we feel when we've been eating like crap and feeling like crap for so long. So, it stands out like a red flad and you are able to recognize it so much easier/quicker because your body is in a place where it's functioning really well.

Yes, it makes us feel crappy to eat foods that we have sensitivities to. But I think "crappy" encompasses many symptoms all wrapped up in one. And when you've been eating that way (before IP) for a long time, the body gets tired of dealing with the inflammation and other symptoms and kind of gives up or only does the best it can which isn't enough. When we do something like IP and we start to "feel better" and have more "energy", it would be really hard to fully describe all those symptoms that we had and no longer suffer from when we remove the sensitivities/triggers (food) from our lives. We just know we like it and are happy to continue with feeling better (esp. if we aren't having cravings) and losing weight to boot.
***Actually, people do notice it, but don't understand the whole picture and don't put the realization in this perspective.
How many posts have you seen where people say: "I sleep so much better"(no longer have insomnia), "I haven't had to take my Zantac or Prilosec"(no longer have heartburn), "I have more energy"(no longer are fatigued), etc.

DENIAL - a tough one. We all have experienced it. Sometimes we are in "denial" and don't realize it, sometimes we are in "denial" and do realize it. Regardless, if our person is not willing to change when confronted with denial, I think there will be a time/place down the road where we are in a better mental/emotional state to deal with it. And I also think the brain holds onto the pertinent information and brings in back to light when we are ready to challenge whatever we were denying.

Good Luck! We're all in this together, Jen

lisa32989
03-25-2013, 06:36 PM
[I will use a word that some will agree/disagree with:
Addiction

Agreed!
Who loses 100 lbs and gains almost all of it back?
An addict! (pointing to myself!)

This is one of the reasons I've been so scared about maintenance but I know there will probably be foods I can NEVER allow back in. Right now gluten and soy-free is working. If I choose to attempt to re-introduce gluten, it will be very carefully controlled and a conscious decision. Otherwise, it is just acting-out food behavior.
Soy won't work and from my reading, perhaps legumes totally. Will I probably get some accidental exposures at restaurants from time-to-time? Sure. But my reasons for not eating soy and not eating gluten are different.
This is also why I didn't get started on IP bars. I know how I can be with certain foods. Some things I'm better off not having the first bite (kinda like the first drink...)

MntRose
03-25-2013, 07:03 PM
Had my weigh in today, a day early and late in the afternoon (Compared to first thing in the morning before I eat anything.) So drum roll please? Down 1.7 pounds, go me!!!

As a side note I had asked that I not do their scan/ BCA readings anymore and was told it is mandatory and that I had to pay the fee. So I tried to explain how her reactions to the results and questions like: did I really cheat, eat too much or too little, really bother me since there has to be some margin of error with this machine. She was calm about it but everything she said came down to I can't be so sensitive because she is just doing her job and its a very hard job to do since dieters tend to lie or hide what they are consuming.

Thinking about this on my way home, I have decided to just quit, and by that I mean fire her. So now more than ever I know I will need all of you here on the forum, so I can still have an official Weigh in every week and to not just get complacent and start slacking off.

M35A2
03-25-2013, 07:07 PM
Had my weigh in today, a day early and late in the afternoon (Compared to first thing in the morning before I eat anything.) So drum roll please? Down 1.7 pounds, go me!!!

Thinking about this on my way home, I have decided to just quit, and by that I mean fire her. So now more than ever I know I will need all of you here on the forum, so I can still have an official Weigh in every week and to not just get complacent and start slacking off.

Bravo to both!

I would recommend investing in a tape measure so you can keep up with inches lost as well. That'll show you that things are still moving in case the scale isn't.

JenRem
03-25-2013, 07:16 PM
So drum roll please? Down 1.7 pounds, go me!!!

As a side note I had asked that I not do their scan/ BCA readings anymore and was told it is mandatory and that I had to pay the fee. So I tried to explain how her reactions to the results and questions like: did I really cheat, eat too much or too little, really bother me since there has to be some margin of error with this machine. She was calm about it but everything she said came down to I can't be so sensitive because she is just doing her job and its a very hard job to do since dieters tend to lie or hide what they are consuming.

First off, Congrats on 1.7 loss! WTG!
Secondly, nothing like being given the benefit of the doubt (re: she said came down to I can't be so sensitive because she is just doing her job and its a very hard job to do since dieters tend to lie or hide what they are consuming.")
Thirdly and most important... You will have all the love and support and encouragement of the 3FC IP Family! You can do it! There are many, many who have gone before you and proved over and over how it can be done with no "stinkin' coach" lol!
I went to my clinic for about 2 months because I wanted the accountability of official WI. I have been just fine going solo. Just be sure to come on here often and stay plugged in - that means participate as well as lurking.

BTW. I think if you have the time and energy to write a letter to this coach and "cc" it to the regional IP office - I think that would be great. Just make sure the letter is written without coming across spiteful.

Most people order their IP food product and supplements from:
www.plainprotein.com

And you can always consider doing alternative food items to IP through:
www.nashuanutrition.com
They tend to be about 1/2 the price and there is more selection, esp on non-restricted items. There are specific Threads on Alternatives if you want/need more info.

:hug: :carrot: Jen

Jen

Psycht
03-25-2013, 07:35 PM
Good for you MntRose! I would not put up with that type of attitude either. FWIW, I have been doing it alone (with the support of this site) from day one and have done pretty darn well so far so I am sure you will do just fine :-)

JenRem
03-25-2013, 07:53 PM
FWIW, I have been doing it alone (with the support of this site) from day one and have done pretty darn well so far so I am sure you will do just fine :-)

I agree that you've "done pretty darn well so far"..... 32 lbs lost! :carrot: WTG! :) Jen

fitandfabfrog
03-25-2013, 08:16 PM
Second WI, almost 3 weeks into IP and I lost another 4 pounds and a HUGE 6 inches! Yahoo...all while getting a visit from TOM! So excited!

Jeaner
03-25-2013, 08:23 PM
JenRem....thank you so much for the interesting post regarding food sensitivities. You explained it all very good..and should give us all some things to think about. Food sensitivities can be in so many forms and I do think cravings are for sure one that is so prevalent. Also some foods, grains are now modified that we should keep that in mind and be watchful for signs and symptoms that our bodies are not liking it.

Have a great evening everyone.

ladylunk
03-25-2013, 08:24 PM
I will use a word that some will agree/disagree with:
Addiction
I have never had an addiction to alcohol or tobacco or drugs.... so, I can't speak to how much more addicting these products might be more than food, but I'm a firm believer that a part of why some of us overeat isn't entirely (or at all) because we lack willpower or because we are pathetic. It's because there is something in those foods we love that trigger off the happy neurotransmitters (norephinephrine and dopamine) in our brain. And our brain LIKES them and LIKES being happy.

So, NO, I don't find it "weird" that we mostly ate what our body doesn't like (even though it might have been suffering some or all of those symptoms I shared earlier). When we have an "addiction" (wherever you want to put that word on the spectrum) our body craves/wants that item regardless of how much it effects our life/our body. We are all shocked at the drug addict who loses their family, home, job and is living off the street, etc. But it shows how hard the addiction can be for some and what the person will "give up" in order to get their "fix" that the brain demands.
And I don't think you felt "fine" everyday - I think that way of feeling had just become your "norm" and you accepted it either because you didn't want to give up those foods or you didn't know how to change. (I'm speaking to myself here as well!)
***When we do "test" a food for sensitvity/trigger after becoming "clean/detoxed", the symptom seems more pronounced because it's not competing with all the other symptoms that we feel when we've been eating like crap and feeling like crap for so long. So, it stands out like a red flad and you are able to recognize it so much easier/quicker because your body is in a place where it's functioning really well.

Yes, it makes us feel crappy to eat foods that we have sensitivities to. But I think "crappy" encompasses many symptoms all wrapped up in one. And when you've been eating that way (before IP) for a long time, the body gets tired of dealing with the inflammation and other symptoms and kind of gives up or only does the best it can which isn't enough. When we do something like IP and we start to "feel better" and have more "energy", it would be really hard to fully describe all those symptoms that we had and no longer suffer from when we remove the sensitivities/triggers (food) from our lives. We just know we like it and are happy to continue with feeling better (esp. if we aren't having cravings) and losing weight to boot.
***Actually, people do notice it, but don't understand the whole picture and don't put the realization in this perspective.
How many posts have you seen where people say: "I sleep so much better"(no longer have insomnia), "I haven't had to take my Zantac or Prilosec"(no longer have heartburn), "I have more energy"(no longer are fatigued), etc.

DENIAL - a tough one. We all have experienced it. Sometimes we are in "denial" and don't realize it, sometimes we are in "denial" and do realize it. Regardless, if our person is not willing to change when confronted with denial, I think there will be a time/place down the road where we are in a better mental/emotional state to deal with it. And I also think the brain holds onto the pertinent information and brings in back to light when we are ready to challenge whatever we were denying.

Good Luck! We're all in this together, Jen

Agreed!
Who loses 100 lbs and gains almost all of it back?
An addict! (pointing to myself!)

This is one of the reasons I've been so scared about maintenance but I know there will probably be foods I can NEVER allow back in. Right now gluten and soy-free is working. If I choose to attempt to re-introduce gluten, it will be very carefully controlled and a conscious decision. Otherwise, it is just acting-out food behavior.
Soy won't work and from my reading, perhaps legumes totally. Will I probably get some accidental exposures at restaurants from time-to-time? Sure. But my reasons for not eating soy and not eating gluten are different.
This is also why I didn't get started on IP bars. I know how I can be with certain foods. Some things I'm better off not having the first bite (kinda like the first drink...)

Thank you ladies for your insight on this. Lot's to digest and think over that is for sure. Once the kids are not demanding supper I will try to respond better.

newday2013
03-25-2013, 10:07 PM
First of all, congrats on the WI...don't stop posting those, I need them to keep me encouraged!
As for the mean coaches, wow, some people just have no people skills. I would totally write a letter to head office.
Not sure what happened to the NSV thread? But I have one!!
Oh, the dreaded staff room...today, not one, but TWO desserts and both my favorites, know what this girl did?? I sat as far away from them and savored every bite of my lunch without batting an eye. That.has.never.happened.

JessicaR
03-25-2013, 10:29 PM
I'm on day six and I'll see my coach tomorrow, but I've been having trouble sleeping due to muscle aches. I haven't exercised this week so it can't be from that. I'm assuming I need more potassium and salt. Has anyone else had this? What did you do?

iKande03
03-25-2013, 10:35 PM
On day 4 and I feel GREAT! The past 3 days have been very tough. I'm
so glad I'm on the other side. All the stories about throwing out clothes are such an inspiration. I can't wait to buy a cute sundress.

workingit50
03-25-2013, 10:37 PM
WI today, down 4 lbs, biggest weekly weight loss yet..week 6. And it was a super tough week. NSV, stick with program and it will work.

So exciting to hear the tales of people dropping clothes sizes. I am too but wearing everything baggy right now. I am particularly thrilled that my XL tops are loose and I feel great in them.

workingit50
03-25-2013, 10:48 PM
Oh, the dreaded staff room...today, not one, but TWO desserts and both my favorites, know what this girl did?? I sat as far away from them and savored every bite of my lunch without batting an eye.

Congrats to you and the others who are getting new willpower. I have it too and it is a bit astounding how easy it has been to say no. A new thing for me!

JenRem
03-25-2013, 10:54 PM
Second WI, almost 3 weeks into IP and I lost another 4 pounds and a HUGE 6 inches! Yahoo...all while getting a visit from TOM! So excited!

WTG! Congrats - that is so cool!

JenRem....thank you so much for the interesting post regarding food sensitivities. You explained it all very good..and should give us all some things to think about. Food sensitivities can be in so many forms and I do think cravings are for sure one that is so prevalent. Also some foods, grains are now modified that we should keep that in mind and be watchful for signs and symptoms that our bodies are not liking it.

You are welcome!

Oh, the dreaded staff room...today, not one, but TWO desserts and both my favorites, know what this girl did?? I sat as far away from them and savored every bite of my lunch without batting an eye. That.has.never.happened.

So proud of you and I know you are very proud of yourself. When you have times like these I like to remind myself that there will be a day down the road in maintenance when you can some of these desserts again. You are just making a conscious choice to do it after you get healthy! Hang in there! The more often you say "no" in difficult situations like this, the easier it gets and just becomes second nature.
WTG !!!:carrot:
Regarding the NSV Thread. If someone hasn't posted on it recently, it will move back a few pages. When I have an NSV I want to share, I just scroll back page by page (starting with the most current) until I find it. If you then post on it, it will move to the top of page 1. Sometimes people won't say anything specific, but type "bump". This is what they are doing - moving it to page one for others to see because they feel it's an important Thread and they don't want to see it get lost too many pages back. Hope this helps!

On day 4 and I feel GREAT! The past 3 days have been very tough. I'm so glad I'm on the other side.
I can't wait to buy a cute sundress.

Once you get over the hump of the initial bad days, you really don't think of them much unless you're discussing it with a newbie to IP. Or sometimes when you might think about cheating and you're like "there is no way I want to feel that bad again, getting back into ketosis!" lol!
So happy for you that you've stuck with it and are feeling better!
And that cute sundress shopping.... will be just around the corner!

heritagesoftail
03-25-2013, 11:01 PM
Hi everyone , well i am back in Canada tomorrow from a great holiday. Did the best I could with my eating here in the Dominican Republic.. i do realize I need to get back into Ketosis but really really looking forward to being back on the plan 100 % . I honestly missed being on the plan .

ladylunk
03-25-2013, 11:18 PM

Great job on WI. I can't believe your coach said those things. Sounds like you are making a great decision and there are so many people here that will help you out.

I have to say thanks for all the good information I recieved from people today. Very theraputic for me and it is much appreciated.

My stomach seems to get angry at me with any food eaten and I still can feel it when not eating, but after food seems the worst right now. I tried a lovely new tea called Feeling Soothed with ginger, mint, and fennel. I am liking it. Presidents Choice brand for fellow Canucks. I think it's time for some Tylenol and bed soon. At least I feel well enough to eat my snack tonight. Couldn't do it last night.

harper75
03-26-2013, 01:31 AM
Had a work at home day and a great dinner with steak and miracle noodles. I realized something today, my favorite yoga pants that I've worn forever can't be worn anymore. Is it weird to be sad about that?

I decided to change my goal weight again...I'm at my original goal weight now but realized that put me at the top of the healthy BMI range. After reading a bunch of maintenance posts yesterday I realized I needed to give myself some wiggle room. So now I have another 15 to go. Whee!

rubygirl05
03-26-2013, 02:04 AM
So, NO, I don't find it "weird" that we mostly ate what our body doesn't like (even though it might have been suffering some or all of those symptoms I shared earlier).... And I don't think you felt "fine" everyday - I think that way of feeling had just become your "norm" and you accepted it either because you didn't want to give up those foods or you didn't know how to change.

Great post Jen! I've had food sensitivities all my life although I wasn't always aware that was the problem. I just started naturally not eating certain foods because I didn't like the way I felt afterwards. It wasn't until years later, as an adult, that I read up on the subject and made the connection and identified certain foods.

I now recognize those same food sensitivities in my family members. When I've discussed the issue with them, they don't even think they have a problem. They just think the way their body reacts is normal and/or have said they're willing to put up with that issue because the food tastes too good to give up. Crazy.

Psycht
03-26-2013, 02:37 AM
I agree that you've "done pretty darn well so far"..... 32 lbs lost! :carrot: WTG! :) Jen

Thanks JenRem ::hug:

mylastdiet
03-26-2013, 06:49 AM
Hello everyone,
Been lurking for a while. I restarted IP a little over a week ago, and am down 8 pounds! I didn't want to post again until I got past that first week.
It feels good to be back!