Ideal Protein Diet - Meatballs and Pasta Sauce?

View Full Version : Meatballs and Pasta Sauce?

cmk79
03-24-2013, 10:50 PM
My dad is part Italian and loves to cook Italian food.So one thing I was wondering is if I can have meatballs and tomato sauce?My dad can make me meatballs without any breadcrumbs, it would just be ground beef, eggs, and onion and his sauce he makes is just tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, and basil.So would it be okay to eat this?Because I love Italian food!lol.

crazynette826
03-24-2013, 11:15 PM
It sounds ok to me! Only twice a week though since tomatoes are on the occasional list of veggies, and make sure it's lean ground beef. Sounds delicious!

lcheech
03-25-2013, 08:09 AM
Yep!! GO FOR IT GIRL! I am also Italian, and will make that for myself. only twice a week though. but it fills the pasta void a bit for sure. :)

scorbett1103
03-25-2013, 09:07 AM
I have had meatballs and red sauce several times - either I use a homemade tomato sauce so I know there's no hidden sugar or filler, or I use LizRR's red pepper puree recipe from the Fun With Veggie Purees thread. Both are very tasty!

Debrasb
03-25-2013, 09:38 AM
I frequently make meatballs with no breadcrumbs and serve with a red pepper sauce (I just avoid tomatoes for the most part). The sauce could easily take italian seasonings for a marinara flavor -- I would add fresh basil.

Here's my recipe: http://www.unlimitedlettuce.com/2013/03/spiced-meatballs-with-roasted-red.html

I actually had a little meatball making party with myself yesterday and rolled 15 lbs of them. I froze into meal portions in ziplocs and now we are set for a weekly meatball night for a while!!

disgal
03-25-2013, 11:09 AM
I actually had a little meatball making party with myself yesterday and rolled 15 lbs of them. I froze into meal portions in ziplocs and now we are set for a weekly meatball night for a while!!

Holy rolling!!!:dizzy: And I was complaining when I had to roll 3 pounds lol!! Ur amazing!! :D

ecmcnamee
03-25-2013, 11:24 AM
I frequently make meatballs with no breadcrumbs and serve with a red pepper sauce (I just avoid tomatoes for the most part). The sauce could easily take italian seasonings for a marinara flavor -- I would add fresh basil.

Here's my recipe: http://www.unlimitedlettuce.com/2013/03/spiced-meatballs-with-roasted-red.html

I have had your recipe .. delicious!

scorbett1103
03-25-2013, 11:55 AM

LOL! Bulk cooking must have been in the air....last Thursday I did a big bulk session and made 14 dinners and enough P3 breakfast entrees for two weeks! All chicken and pork because that was what was on sale, but I am going to need to do meatballs and taco meat soon!!!

cmk79
03-25-2013, 03:57 PM
Ok,good to know I can still have some Italian food!I love meatballs and tomato sauce!:)

FlooNimbus13127
03-25-2013, 04:37 PM
My dad is part Italian and loves to cook Italian food.So one thing I was wondering is if I can have meatballs and tomato sauce?My dad can make me meatballs without any breadcrumbs, it would just be ground beef, eggs, and onion and his sauce he makes is just tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, and basil.So would it be okay to eat this?Because I love Italian food!lol.

I've used lean ground beef with lean ground pork, garlic, basil, oregano, an egg, red pepper flake, ground black pepper, and salt.

I browned them in a pan on all sides then put them in a baking dish. I used tomato sauce (not spaghetti sauce) and let them finish baking in an oven. It was delish!

Oh, and I had "zoodles" instead of pasta. (Zuchinni shredded lengthwise to make faux noodles.)

Calisto
03-25-2013, 05:50 PM
I need to make some soon to have with Zuchinni noodle! We have only done a lemon sauce with chicken and the noodles lately.

Desafinado
03-25-2013, 10:14 PM
Hey ladies, you can use one of the restricted chips crushed up as meatball filler if you need. I used the cheddar ones in my meatloaf and that was THE BEST THING EVAH.