Weight Loss Surgery - 5 Days Out From Surgery

View Full Version : 5 Days Out From Surgery

MadCowOnTheMend
03-24-2013, 12:39 AM
And this is NOT a cakewalk. Had some complications during surgery so I have an exterior drain until next Thursday. They took twice as long as expected and I ended up back in the ER 2 days later with double pneumonia. I have pretty wimpy lungs in general, so I suppose that's not a surprise. And I don't think it's common so nobody else freak out.

Anyway, I'm trying to stay positive. Hey, at least I'm too miserable to even consider wishing I could eat something other than clear liquids!

jiffypop
03-24-2013, 09:48 AM
good heavens, honey! so glad to hear from you - with apologies for not keeping closer track of your surgery date [an epic fail from me - and i'm sorry].

are you home? still in the hospital? so glad you're on the mend!

thinkfit
03-24-2013, 11:42 PM
So sorry to hear about your complications! Hope you're doing well now, be sure to keep us updated!

2Chi
03-25-2013, 01:17 AM
OMG madcow!! That sounds awful, but Im glad you are feeling ok (well ok enough to update us).
Keep us updated on your recovery.

elvislover324
03-25-2013, 07:30 AM
Wishing you a speedy recovery. Sorry about your complications.

MadCowOnTheMend
03-25-2013, 01:36 PM
Feeling closer to human. I hated to post something that looks so negative. :-/

I took my first shower today and I think the pneumonia is gone. I get the drain out on Thursday and am looking forward to that. Every day is feeling a little bit better and I feel very positive about that. :-)

Zeitgeist
03-25-2013, 05:15 PM
I'm glad you are feeling better. It is good for those considering surgery to hear about issues that can arise; it makes for a more educated populace, so don't fret about posting negative stuff.

I can not imagine having a drain. I was lucky enough to not have one.

The first three months are so hard. Hopefully this will be your only complication and things will improve from here on out.

penmage
03-25-2013, 05:54 PM
I'm glad you're feeling better today!

thinkfit
03-25-2013, 11:25 PM
I second the not feeling bad about sharing less than stellar news, it'd be incredibly misleading if everyone only shared good experiences! I'm happy to have people online with as much honesty as you. Hope you continue to feel better! :)

2Chi
03-26-2013, 03:24 AM
Don't worry about sounding negative. We are all here to support you!
Glad you are feeling better!

Shyne
03-26-2013, 06:44 PM
Goodness hun!!! Bit of a rollercoaster!

Glad you're feeling better!

MadCowOnTheMend
03-26-2013, 07:19 PM
My husband heads out of town at 6am. MIL is taking the two younger kids so I will only have the older two to deal with (10 and 8). They're very self sufficient (thanks to homeschooling :-) ). I still can't stand for long. I look at people who went out shopping a few days out and can't even imagine!! I'm hoping that I will make it into the car and into the building for Mass on Easter Sunday!

Cuter w Curves
03-26-2013, 08:25 PM
*gentle hugs*

A rough start but feeling a bit better each day is progress.

It gets better. Promise!

jiffypop
03-27-2013, 09:16 AM
oh MadCow - it's not always easy. please don't push yourself, you're not only recovering from surgery, but also from double pneumonia. And either of these is a whammy that would lay ANYONE out for awhile. And lucky you - you're dealing with both.

The Passionists do a very nice Easter Mass on TV. Don't push yourself - I know it's important, but so's your health.

ForeverVivid
03-27-2013, 06:59 PM
My husband heads out of town at 6am. MIL is taking the two younger kids so I will only have the older two to deal with (10 and 8). They're very self sufficient (thanks to homeschooling :-) ). I still can't stand for long. I look at people who went out shopping a few days out and can't even imagine!! I'm hoping that I will make it into the car and into the building for Mass on Easter Sunday!

Lol...that was me. I spent two days in hospital and two in the hotel. On the second day in the hotel, me and my Dad went out shopping for a few hours. Don't get me wrong, it was definitely tiring, and I was sore afterwards. But I felt well enough to at least attempt it. :)

I'm glad to hear that you are feeling a bit better. I was very fortunate to not have had any complications, but always feel for the people who do. What surgery did you have?

MadCowOnTheMend
03-28-2013, 09:07 AM
I had RNY. I had a large para-esophageal hernia and was not a candidate for any type of banding. I suppose the sleeve was an option but I was determined that if I was going to do this, I was going to do it all of the way for the best chance of successful weight loss I could have. I know 3 people who have has RNY and been successful. We are close and I have very good support. I am also done having children so less worried about the mal-absorption concern.

At the risk of totally oversharing, all of the sitting and sleeping sitting up has caused me to have problems with, ummm....hemmies. So painful that I go into a cold sweat, and just cant even move... One became strangulated and ruptured. :o Seriously, ahhhhhh!!!

I am headed to get my drain removed in an hour and wearing real clothes and a bra for the first time in 11 days... :^: Life is moving on.

jiffypop
03-28-2013, 09:33 AM
have fun <?> at the surgeon's! and be sure to tell him about your hemmies = they're actualy pretty common after this surgery [little to no food, no fiber to speak of, bed rest, and so on].

glad you're getting OUT - even if it is just to the docs. and then a nap when you get home.

MadCowOnTheMend
03-29-2013, 05:34 PM
Got my drain out on Thursday. THAT was interesting. Didn't hurt at all but felt very strange and there was over 20 inches in there!!!!

I feel sooooo much better. I can bend and move better. My lungs are getting stronger and I was able to go to target today with my daughter and do some shopping.
Also, I finally "splurged" on the pre-mixed protein drinks (Myoplex lite) and FINALLY was able to keep some protein down. They're not ideal but until my stomach calms down I'll go with them. 20g of protein each.

I have to say, as rough as that first 10 days was, I feel amazing.
(posted a more introspective update on my blog if you want to read)

Joliebug82
03-30-2013, 11:42 AM
So happy you're feeling better!

Can you drink the entire Myoplex Lite? I have the original and I can only do 3 oz at a time, so it takes me all day to get one. 42g protein, though, which is good. I am ready for my PB2 (and chocolate PB2) to come in today so I can change up the vanilla flavor. It tastes like cake batter, which is great mostly, but sometimes sickeningly sweet.

Good luck making it to Mass tomorrow!

MadCowOnTheMend
03-30-2013, 11:45 AM
I bought the chocolate. I'll get my DH to go grab some vanilla for me!

It took me a few setting to drink it. I keep it in the fridge w a straw in it and every time I think of it I go have a few sips.

The original concerned me because it has 20g or carbs and 9g of fat. Anyone have thoughts on that?

Joliebug82
03-30-2013, 01:36 PM
I bought the chocolate. I'll get my DH to go grab some vanilla for me!

It took me a few setting to drink it. I keep it in the fridge w a straw in it and every time I think of it I go have a few sips.

The original concerned me because it has 20g or carbs and 9g of fat. Anyone have thoughts on that?

My NUT said she prefers me to drink the original because that really is almost all of my calories and protein for the day and I can barely get that in. She said a lite one wouldn't give me the necessary nutrients THIS EARLY ON. After a month, I am to switch to the low carb one.