General Diet Plans and Questions - How to get started?

View Full Version : How to get started?

Notsoskinny
03-23-2013, 05:20 PM
How did everyone take the first step in their weight loss journey,i find it hard to get started i always want that "junk" food or not so healthy food....:?:

Misti in Seattle
03-23-2013, 08:11 PM
:welcome3:

I started by stopping night eating and also by leaving out a bowl of chopped fresh veggies and/or fruit on my kitchen counter which I could eat any time I wanted it. And gradually cut out most of the processed food, chemicals, etc. (which is where most of the addictive substances are). It really worked!

I also joined a gym with a pool and started working out a lot

Jez
03-23-2013, 08:46 PM
I think the first step is to look around and decide how you want to do it, and what seems most feasible for you. If you just want to count calories, then join a site like Fitday.com and start typing labels of stuff that's in your kitchen into the Custom Foods section, and start weighing and measuring every single thing you consume. If you're going to go low carb (or any other method), get rid of the junk (or separate it for others in your house if they aren't changing their diets) and stock up on stuff that sounds appetizing, fits the diet, and that will keep you satisfied. Then, you just start right now at doing it. :)

lunarsongbird
03-23-2013, 10:05 PM
After doing A LOT of research- I started out big.
Someone just unearthed a thread I started 2 months ago, which reminded me:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/274108-okay-so-you-can-judge-me.html

So in a brief synopsis- I would start with a really great multi-vitamin and an essential fatty acid (like krill oil or cod liver oil). Really up the veggies and fruits.

I'd look into l-glutamine or chromium if you have sugar cravings. I'd look into dl-phenylalanine if you crave the comfort of "junk" food.
Actually- I'd just recommend taking a really nice amino acid complex.

And then I'd cut the junk. It's hard to stop the cravings if you don't give the body a chance to recover and rebalance itself.

SouthernMaven
03-24-2013, 11:45 AM
How did everyone take the first step in their weight loss journey,i find it hard to get started i always want that "junk" food or not so healthy food....:?:

The first step is to make a conscious decision to commit to whatever program you decide to follow. Someone here has a signature that reads "It's not about willpower, it's about commitment" or something like that. Pretty much says it all.

It may help to change one small habit that you know is hurting you - mine was night-time snacking, along with a couple of glasses of wine. Stopped all that and it jump-started my weight loss. If you can change one thing and make it a new habit, it becomes easier to change other things.

Good Luck on your journey!

Psychic
03-24-2013, 09:53 PM
I started out by cutting out soda and sugary drinks. Then I started adding more fruit and vegetables to what I would normally eat. Then I started cutting back portion sizes.

Writing down everything you eat really helps as well.