Ideal Protein Diet - New to this

View Full Version : New to this

KristaL32
03-23-2013, 01:17 AM
I just started IP a few weeks ago and so far I have been super happy with the results and my energy level. I feel like I am more energetic, less anxious and thinking clearly, has anyone else felt this way?

I find the most difficult aspect of this diet to be the social one. I feel like my friends think that I am being silly and wonder why I can't have just one glass of wine on Friday night.... Which by the way...I wish I could too! Has anyone had a drink or two in plan, dos you come out of ketosis, mess up your whole weekly loss? Feedback appreciated

Thanks

Alaskagirl92128
03-23-2013, 02:13 AM
I am relatively new, 4 weeks in -34 pounds. I don't seem to have more energy but I work 80+ hour weeks so I am always dragging. I haven't cheated and don't plan to because I think if you do it will be too easy to lose the momentum and cheat again. Good luck :)

scorbett1103
03-23-2013, 02:42 AM
I just started IP a few weeks ago and so far I have been super happy with the results and my energy level. I feel like I am more energetic, less anxious and thinking clearly, has anyone else felt this way?

I find the most difficult aspect of this diet to be the social one. I feel like my friends think that I am being silly and wonder why I can't have just one glass of wine on Friday night.... Which by the way...I wish I could too! Has anyone had a drink or two in plan, dos you come out of ketosis, mess up your whole weekly loss? Feedback appreciated

Thanks

Here's the thing.

You aren't on this diet for anyone else. It is YOUR journey. And it is a BIG one - nothing silly about it! If you don't make a big deal about it, nobody else will. The way I looked at wine/drinks was this: I had NO PROBLEM giving up alcohol for nine months each time I got pregnant, plus for almost a year after each one because I was nursing. If I could do it for my kids, why couldn't I do it for myself? It's not forever, just until I lost the weight.

As far as ketosis/weight loss and alcohol - the thing you need to know is that when you drink alcohol, your body is going to metabolize the alcohol FIRST, no matter what else is going on, including ketosis. That is time that your body COULD be burning fat for energy, that instead it will be burning off alcohol. For me, NO cheat was worth spending one extra minute on Phase 1 than I needed to.

safetylady
03-23-2013, 06:21 AM
Here's the thing.

You aren't on this diet for anyone else. It is YOUR journey. And it is a BIG one - nothing silly about it! If you don't make a big deal about it, nobody else will. The way I looked at wine/drinks was this: I had NO PROBLEM giving up alcohol for nine months each time I got pregnant, plus for almost a year after each one because I was nursing. If I could do it for my kids, why couldn't I do it for myself? It's not forever, just until I lost the weight.

As far as ketosis/weight loss and alcohol - the thing you need to know is that when you drink alcohol, your body is going to metabolize the alcohol FIRST, no matter what else is going on, including ketosis. That is time that your body COULD be burning fat for energy, that instead it will be burning off alcohol. For me, NO cheat was worth spending one extra minute on Phase 1 than I needed to.

So very well said, this is our personal journey which is HUGE. While some of us have more or less weight to loss, we still all struggle to find the right mix. I have quickly learnt that the better I am at following the plan, the less time I will spend in Phase 1.

I am a wine lover, but have decided that until I get out of phase 1, no drinking for me. Am spending to much money to stay in phase 1 one day longer then needed.

IdealProteinNewbie
03-23-2013, 09:04 AM
Above everything else I made a committment to myself that I intend to follow through with. It's a very empowering feeling when you do something you, or others, think you can't do.

If you can't give up wine (cheese, cookie, whatever is your thing) for a temporary time period will you be able to keep the weight off in maintenance?

ragdoll74
03-23-2013, 09:26 AM
This is a good thread to read if you are thinking of cheating.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/221536-real-cost-cheating-ideal-protein.html

You only have another 26 lbs to goal. If you stick with the plan without cheating, you will get to maintenance sooner and be able to have your weekly cheat day.

Someone used to have a signature that said "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels." It's something I used to say to myself when tempted.

Happymomof2
03-23-2013, 09:38 AM
Hi there - I am new to this also, almost through week 2. I would say what has helped keep me 100% on plan is I really struggled though the first 4 days on this diet. It was really hard for me but I made it through. I don't want to do anything that would put me back to that ! I also figure if I could get through those days without cheating there's no way I will do it now.

Do this for you - no one else! If your friends want you to join in their activities I would stay strong and just have a frank conversation with them as to why you are doing this and how much their support would mean to you. This will also help you build your outside support system in addition to the support thats always available here. Good luck!

KristaL32
03-23-2013, 10:01 AM
Thank you so much for all of the feedback ladies. You are all absolutely right. I have actually still been enjoying social events without alcohol, binging on junk food, and feeling terrible the next day. That in itself is a great discovery for me. The pregnancy analogy is great too... The only difficult part is that when I was pregnant people didn't question why I would not have a cocktail....it was a given. This experience has def taught me that I do have more will power than I ever thought possible! I can do this!:hug:

Delgen
03-23-2013, 10:08 AM

Thanks
Having a glass of wine or any other cheat will throw you out of ketosis, and sometimes takes a week to get back.

i am a recovering alcohol, so i know some tricks to help me feel like i fit in. When I am on phase 4, maintenance i have cranberry juice in a wine glass. you could do the same except with water and some MIO. Planning ahead and thinking creatively can make it easy.
Stay 100% It is much Easier. When in doubt, just say no and stay on program. so not worth the cheat.:hug::hug::hug:

Delgen
03-23-2013, 10:11 AM
Above everything else I made a committment to myself that I intend to follow through with. It's a very empowering feeling when you do something you, or others, think you can't do.

If you can't give up wine (cheese, cookie, whatever is your thing) for a temporary time period will you be able to keep the weight off in maintenance?

This is a good thread to read if you are thinking of cheating.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/221536-real-cost-cheating-ideal-protein.html

You only have another 26 lbs to goal. If you stick with the plan without cheating, you will get to maintenance sooner and be able to have your weekly cheat day.

Someone used to have a signature that said "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels." It's something I used to say to myself when tempted.

Hi there - I am new to this also, almost through week 2. I would say what has helped keep me 100% on plan is I really struggled though the first 4 days on this diet. It was really hard for me but I made it through. I don't want to do anything that would put me back to that ! I also figure if I could get through those days without cheating there's no way I will do it now.

Do this for you - no one else! If your friends want you to join in their activities I would stay strong and just have a frank conversation with them as to why you are doing this and how much their support would mean to you. This will also help you build your outside support system in addition to the support thats always available here. Good luck!

Yes, yes, yes!!! Great advice, and love the real cost of cheating. i am going to print that out and hang it in my kitchen:smug::smug::smug::hug::p:p

Danif
03-23-2013, 11:03 AM

Thanks

I have and I still lost. I just don"t have a restricted packet the days I chose to and I only have one. It sure does hit you after one and I used to be able to drink an entire bottle and be fine. I still stay in Ketosis too. I know this diet is all about not cheating..but I'm human. I did it, I admit it!

KristaL32
03-23-2013, 12:11 PM
Thanks Danif, this info will be useful in making decision.

ladylunk
03-23-2013, 12:16 PM
The other thing to think about is while you are in ketosis it can be dangerous to drink. Anyway that is what I was told. Supposedly you could faint, at least that is what my coach said (her reasoning behind if you have a drink make sure to have a carb...) I know other people too whose coach has said this too because of the danger....anyway I am pretty sure there are differing opinions on this, but thought to put this out there just in case. Also from my coach about getting back into ketosis she figures it could happen as fast as half a day, not a week. I believe everyone is just different though and you don't know how long it will take.

tam67green
03-23-2013, 12:23 PM
The other thing to think about is while you are in ketosis it can be dangerous to drink. Anyway that is what I was told. Supposedly you could faint, at least that is what my coach said (her reasoning behind if you have a drink make sure to have a carb...) I know other people too whose coach has said this too because of the danger....anyway I am pretty sure there are differing opinions on this, but thought to put this out there just in case. Also from my coach about getting back into ketosis she figures it could happen as fast as half a day, not a week. I believe everyone is just different though and you don't know how long it will take.

Hmmm...interesting. When I started my coach emphasized NO DRINKING WHATSOEVER. She was very stern about it. I didn't question it, that was fine with me. I'm not much for drinking, anyway. Maybe the fainting this is the reason.
My coach his OK, mostly nice, but very busy and doesn't always give reasons for the do's and don'ts. She just told me last week that the person in charge of the clinic now says eat mostly green peppers--other colors of peppers should only be eaten 2-3 times per week and the little sweet peppesr that you can buy in a bag, not at all. She didn't give a reason, but I guess it's because they are higher in carbs than green peppers? Anyway, that's one change I'm going to ignore, because I have been eating mostly red, yellow or orange peppers since day 1 and have averaged 2.75 pounds lost per week.

scorbett1103
03-23-2013, 12:23 PM
I have and I still lost. I just don"t have a restricted packet the days I chose to and I only have one. It sure does hit you after one and I used to be able to drink an entire bottle and be fine. I still stay in Ketosis too. I know this diet is all about not cheating..but I'm human. I did it, I admit it!

Not having a restricted packet isn't actually a trade-off for a glass of wine. There is about a 60 calorie difference between a restricted and unrestricted packet, and about 150 calories in a 6 oz glass of red or white wine. And there are fewer carbs in a glass of wine than in many unrestricted packets (a glass of wine has less than 6g carb).

While there IS an issue with the calorie difference (you are still adding almost 100 calories to your day even with skipping a restricted packet) and increased calories will result in slower fat loss, the REAL issue is the alcohol and the way it is metabolized.

ladylunk
03-23-2013, 12:30 PM
Hmmm...interesting. When I started my coach emphasized NO DRINKING WHATSOEVER. She was very stern about it. I didn't question it, that was fine with me. I'm not much for drinking, anyway. Maybe the fainting this is the reason.
My coach his OK, mostly nice, but very busy and doesn't always give reasons for the do's and don'ts. She just told me last week that the person in charge of the clinic now says eat mostly green peppers--other colors of peppers should only be eaten 2-3 times per week and the little sweet peppesr that you can buy in a bag, not at all. She didn't give a reason, but I guess it's because they are higher in carbs than green peppers? Anyway, that's one change I'm going to ignore, because I have been eating mostly red, yellow or orange peppers since day 1 and have averaged 2.75 pounds lost per week.

Yes my coach also says no drinking as that is how ideal protein works, but my coach also knows life happens and there are celebrations etc.. and knows some people will have a drink at some point so that is her advice if you are having a drink. She really emphasizes that it can be dangerous if you don't watch what you are doing.

KristaL32
03-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Thanks again for all the input ladies....off topic have any of you attended a seminar with Chef Verati (sp) He is doing a seminar here on Monday....looking forward too it for new IP recipe ideas.

JenRem
03-23-2013, 04:07 PM
I have and I still lost. I just don't have a restricted packet the days I choose to and I only have one.

Not having a restricted packet isn't actually a trade-off for a glass of wine. There is about a 60 calorie difference between a restricted and unrestricted packet, and about 150 calories in a 6 oz glass of red or white wine. And there are fewer carbs in a glass of wine than in many unrestricted packets (a glass of wine has less than 6g carb).

While there IS an issue with the calorie difference (you are still adding almost 100 calories to your day even with skipping a restricted packet) and increased calories will result in slower fat loss, the REAL issue is the alcohol and the way it is metabolized.

also you won't be getting the 15 grams of protein that you'd be getting from the restricted packet.

scorbett1103
03-23-2013, 04:47 PM
also you won't be getting the 15 grams of protein that you'd be getting from the restricted packet.

The person who posted wasn't skipping a packet in order to have wine, they were talking about having an unrestricted packet instead of a restricted packet. Restricted or unrestricted, the packets contain the same amount of protein. They would still have the same number of packets in a day, just less carbs.

JenRem
03-23-2013, 05:20 PM
Great discussion and some really good comments.
I really think it's great to hear from the 100% IPer's and also great to hear from some who choose to not be 100% IPer's. It is a personal decision (to cheat or not to cheat) and we should respect that. I don't think we should value the comments/opinions of one group over another. We are all on a WL (weight loss) journey, but we have to choose our own path. The more input we get from each other, gives us better insight/education in making those decisions that we deem best for ourselves.

Just some other points I thought I'd add.......

Most people who make comments to us when we are on IP, such as "one bite/taste/glass won't hurt you......" are used to people being on diets more like WW (Weight Watchers) or something equivalent. They are use to the issue being about calories and if you have more calories by having a treat, just eat less calories somewhere else or exercise a little more.
With IP, the focus is not the calories as much as being in ketosis.
We have to educate our friends/family on how ketosis works and why getting out of ketosis is not as simple as having a few extra calories.

Why do our friends/family so desire/need us to eat/drink like they are.
I think there can be many factors:
they simply love us and want us to enjoy what they are enjoying
they made something homemade and want us to taste it and approve
they are personally envious of our WL and want to feel better about themselves by seeing that they can get us to make food choices like they are making (most likely poor)
they may want to sabotage us
they want us to relax and enjoy the evening

Can you think of other reasons???

Once you decide what is the best course for you in this IP program, then empower yourself by letting your family/friends know where you stand.
We aren't saying that we will NEVER have this drink or that food ever again. We are just saying that it is our choice to not have it NOW. The drink and food will always be there, even after we reach our goal. In maintenace, we are going to have make choices and restrict drinks/foods as well.
Once everyone realizes that you are serious about this, they will (or should) stop the pressure of asking you to join them.
Remember, the social gatherings can by very much enjoyed without having the social drink/food. Visit, have fun, and enjoy everyone's company - after time you'll come to realize that the drink/food doesn't have to be the focus of the evening and in all honesty really shouldn't be the focus either. :) Jen

JenRem
03-23-2013, 05:21 PM
The person who posted wasn't skipping a packet in order to have wine, they were talking about having an unrestricted packet instead of a restricted packet. Restricted or unrestricted, the packets contain the same amount of protein. They would still have the same number of packets in a day, just less carbs.

Thanks for the clarification; I misread!

Rachel3
03-23-2013, 05:34 PM
Am I ever happy to have clicked on this thread!...I have had cheats and still managed to lose some weight however when I first started 9 weeks ago I had no cheats at all....I was diligent. Then one day, I had a get together with girlfriends and had wine, chips etc...I must say I felt good about it as I was looking forward to it. However, when you do not gain weight from a"cheat; mentally you think 'I can cheat and do not GAIN weight" so do you do.....you cheat again. However, when I first started IP; I was all pumped up and said to myself...6 months and that will be the end of Phase 1; I can go without wine, chips etc....I can do this for myself and buy myself a new swimsuit that I do not have to worry about covering myself; I can wear shorts and not worry about looking obese etc...
So coming back to seeing this thread....I had forgotten what I had mentally said to myself...9 weeks ago. Which explains why I have only lost 24 lbs....which is still good as a year ago I would've been at least 24 lbs heavier...!Thank you for the insperation... and I will certainly get my @ss in gear and persevere...I can still do this and continue to make positive changes for myself for the next 14 weeks.

KristaL32
03-23-2013, 08:40 PM
Thanks Jen, I think friends and family will certainly have different opinions on what I am doing and you are right in that I just have to make my own decisions based on what works for me. I might give myself a monthly cheat day if that's what I need to keep motivated on the program, I might not....it's my journey. One day at a time. I can tell you right now that I feel great and do not think I will let anything get in the way of my goal.

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-blue/flower02/lb/202/170/192.5/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

natsprat4
03-23-2013, 09:13 PM
I have been on IP going on 5 weeks now. I lost 19.3 lbs in 4 weeks. On my journey so far, I would say I have diligently stayed on program. However, there was one weekend where I had a few vodka waters with MiO. My coach warned me against it, as your body is so low on carbs, this can be dangerous for the brain as there are no carbs to absorb the alcohol... (not sure if I explained this right). I am hesitant to share this because I really do not want someone to take this as a scape goat to cheat. I didn't gain, I didn't get kicked out of ketosis and I actually lost 5.2 that week. Fluke? I don't know. But I can say that I don't plan on cheating again. The risk is too high and I'm investing far too much money, time and all my willpower into this diet and I do not want to sabotage the amazing results I've accomplished this far!

So as everyone has said, it's up to you what path you take on this IP journey. But it is not recommended for a reason... and if you've dedicated yourself to doing this, DO IT ALL THE WAY & THE RIGHT WAY.

In terms of support from family/friends, I can say I've had my challenges. I'm 25 y/o and most of my friends are single, go out and drink often. I won't lie, I've always been a beer drinker, socially (which has largely contributed to the weight gains over the years). I can say that not all of them are supportive and often try to pressure me into drinking. This is still something I am learning to deal with... I've started saying (to some) that I have a gluten allergy (which eliminates a lot of junk foods out there)... not because I'm lying, but it's sometimes simpler this way.

Not sure if this has helped at all. But I wish you all the best on your journey. The funnest part is seeing the changes in how your clothes start fitting!!!! I have about 4 pairs of jeans I need to give away... TOO BIG! WOO HOO!

ALL THE BEST, FELLOW IPers!!!! :carrot:

KristaL32
03-23-2013, 09:13 PM
How do I get the little tracker to show up on every post... And the icon for each 5 pounds? Help!

scorbett1103
03-23-2013, 09:32 PM
How do I get the little tracker to show up on every post... And the icon for each 5 pounds? Help!

You will be given access to your signature once you have been here for 20 days AND posted 20 times. It looks like you've been here long enough, but you haven't posted enough yet. The signature is where we put tickers and fun stuff like that.

It will show up in your User CP - you will see an option to "Edit Signature" once you've met the criteria.

DRegan
03-23-2013, 09:55 PM

Thanks

I have stayed OP since the beginning, I made sure I was ready to give it my all. Including no wine! It hasnt been as hard as I thought, been to a couple of functions, have seltzer with lemon, no one says a thing, they thinks its a cocktail I guess. I just know if I have a few drinks I'll most likely give in to
bad choices, and then the next day have the hangover munchies, just not
worth all the hard work and money at this point. Sure come summer when Im on maintenance and fit, I will treat myself on the weekend to a couple drinks, but for now, 100% is the way to go.
Good luck!
D http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar027/cartoonstar01/lb/140/125/131/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

evepet
03-23-2013, 09:56 PM
You've been given a lot of great points. I just want to mention too that each time you exercise your will power and stay firm in your intention to stick to the diet plan 100% the stronger that 'will power muscle' becomes. It becomes easier and easier to stick to the plan, and not consider side-tracking yourself. Other options cease to even exist.

On the other hand, once you allow a lapse from the diet plan it somehow seems to open the door for more of them.

musicsmylife
03-24-2013, 11:52 AM
I am new to IP...started one week ago Saturday and have my first weigh in tomorrow. I have been lurking on this website for about 3 weeks...first of all trying to figure out if IP is for me and secondly to follow your suggestions, struggles and successes. So thankful for this thread because quite frankly, the social struggles of this diet are what scare me the most. I have not told many people that I have started IP. My husband has been very supportive, especially for the days I couldn't stomach some of the sample foods my coach gave me my first week. Thanks to all of you who are being honest about their cheats...my only cheat worry is having an occasional beer or two. Your responses to this thread have helped me figure out how to deal with those worries.

ladylunk
03-24-2013, 12:59 PM
Great discussion and some really good comments.
I really think it's great to hear from the 100% IPer's and also great to hear from some who choose to not be 100% IPer's. It is a personal decision (to cheat or not to cheat) and we should respect that. I don't think we should value the comments/opinions of one group over another. We are all on a WL (weight loss) journey, but we have to choose our own path. The more input we get from each other, gives us better insight/education in making those decisions that we deem best for ourselves.

Jen

Just wated to say thanks for all the great posts/insights this weekend over all the threads. Much appreciated! I totally agree with this comment as well.

I am new to IP...started one week ago Saturday and have my first weigh in tomorrow. I have been lurking on this website for about 3 weeks...first of all trying to figure out if IP is for me and secondly to follow your suggestions, struggles and successes. So thankful for this thread because quite frankly, the social struggles of this diet are what scare me the most. I have not told many people that I have started IP. My husband has been very supportive, especially for the days I couldn't stomach some of the sample foods my coach gave me my first week. Thanks to all of you who are being honest about their cheats...my only cheat worry is having an occasional beer or two. Your responses to this thread have helped me figure out how to deal with those worries.

Welcome. That first week is hard. I had a real rough time with the samples on the first week. To tell you the truth, I never leared to like the "savoury food". I stuck with shakes, bars, soy puffs. Your tastes will change though so things you may not have liked you might like in a couple of weeks so don't give up yet. I at first struggled with the no drinking thing as well. I managed to make it 52 days and then had a planned cheat night and got right back on program. For me this was a success as I have never stayed on a diet program for that long before. I am now phasing off for a holiday and plan to come back later. Do what works for you! Good luck.

Calisto
03-24-2013, 05:39 PM
I have been IP since November, so I have had Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, My Birthday, many of my kids' birthdays (2 of the 4) along with family dinners out for other birthdays... and Christmas Parties to tend with.

Every single one I have stayed 100% because I wanted to for ME. Yes, do I get jokes from time to time? Do I wish I could have that one glass of wine? Sure! It's Normal. But now after losing over 70 lbs my friends are impressed and realize just how serious I am about taking care of me.

Doesn't mean you can't go out. I go out, yes I drink water with lemon or sneak in a crystal light. But I still have fun because it's the focus of friends not food or drink that going out should be about.

Rachel3
03-24-2013, 06:48 PM

I asked the same question yesterday...and still have not received an answer.
R.

scorbett1103
03-24-2013, 07:17 PM
I asked the same question yesterday...and still have not received an answer.
R.

Actually if you read through yesterday's posts, the same question was answered a few times. You need to be on the forum for 20 days and have posted 20 times before you will have access to your signature in the User CP.

KristaL32
03-24-2013, 08:18 PM
I think I was able to do it now Rachel, thanks for the help scorbett. I have not yet had 20 posts but I went to edit signature under user cp... When u make ur little icons u have to cut and paste the URL into your signature. Not sure if URL is the right word... Not much of a comp person...good luck

foreveryoung
03-25-2013, 03:07 AM
I think I was able to do it now Rachel, thanks for the help scorbett. I have not yet had 20 posts but I went to edit signature under user cp... When u make ur little icons u have to cut and paste the URL into your signature. Not sure if URL is the right word... Not much of a comp person...good luck

You did it Krista :)

PacNW IP
03-25-2013, 12:23 PM
I'm probably going to get a lot of flack for this, but this is taken from out of the Atkins Diet book:

When you consume Alcohol, it is the first fuel to burn. While that's going on, your body will not burn fat. While this does not stop weight loss, it will postpones it until the alcohol has been used up. If you must drink alcohol, straight liquor such as scotch, rye, vodka, and gin would be the best choices as long as the mixer contains no sugar. If you have added alcohol to your diet and suddenly stop losing, give it up.

That being said, remember that alcohol lowers inhibitions and makes you more likely to eat off plan and it does add calories at about 100 calories per shot of clear liquor. I have had drinks on occasion (vodka & club soda), and it hasn't really impacted my losses noticeably. I am NOT advising that anyone deviate from the program; I am simply stating what my experiences have been. Everyone is different and must evaluate what is important to them, and everyone's bodies are different too so my experiences are not necessarily reflective of anyone else.

LexiChanel1
03-25-2013, 02:48 PM
I'm probably going to get a lot of flack for this, but this is taken from out of the Atkins Diet book:

When you consume Alcohol, it is the first fuel to burn. While that's going on, your body will not burn fat. While this does not stop weight loss, it will postpones it until the alcohol has been used up. If you must drink alcohol, straight liquor such as scotch, rye, vodka, and gin would be the best choices as long as the mixer contains no sugar. If you have added alcohol to your diet and suddenly stop losing, give it up.

That being said, remember that alcohol lowers inhibitions and makes you more likely to eat off plan and it does add calories at about 100 calories per shot of clear liquor. I have had drinks on occasion (vodka & club soda), and it hasn't really impacted my losses noticeably. I am NOT advising that anyone deviate from the program; I am simply stating what my experiences have been. Everyone is different and must evaluate what is important to them, and everyone's bodies are different too so my experiences are not necessarily reflective of anyone else.

I agree!

JenRem
03-25-2013, 06:42 PM
So thankful for this thread because quite frankly, the social struggles of this diet are what scare me the most. I have not told many people that I have started IP.
My husband has been very supportive, especially for the days I couldn't stomach some of the sample foods my coach gave me my first week.

WELCOME !

Very few people actually know that I'm on IP. Most people don't even know I'm on a "diet". I tend to be very private on things like this. If people notice that I'm not eating what is being offered at a social gathering, I will responds with things like:
"I'm just trying to make healthier food choices"
"I'm just trying to eat better"
"I'm trying to lower my cholesterol"
"That looks great, but the calories just aren't worth it for me, lol!
"That looks great, but I'm already so full - I just had something to eat! Thanks, anyways!
Some people will go as far as saying they have some type of "food allergy" that doesn't allow them to eat certain foods.

You only need to be as honest as you choose when telling people about your IP journey. If it's an acquaintance, I stay pretty vague. If it's someone closer in my life, I share with them in private so they know where I'm coming from and don't continue to offer food or ask pushy questions in front of others. If it is someone who is overweight like myself and I really feel like they want to know how I'm losing weight, I'll be honest and tell them.

However, I won't share with those people that don't really care what the truth is about how I'm losing weight, they just want to tell you that whatever your doing isn't the right way and they know what is (despite not losing any weight themselves). You can distinguish the difference between who is asking because their sincere and who isn't, lol!

I'm glad you have a supportive DH (darling husband). I do, too! They're the best and worth their weight in gold - no pun intended!
I struggled the first few days on IP - really didn't like most of the food I was trying. I'm glad you're sticking with it. 52 lbs lost and I'm soo GLAD I stuck with it, too! I adjusted to the foods shortly after that first week! Jen

JenRem
03-25-2013, 06:51 PM

When you consume Alcohol, it is the first fuel to burn. While that's going on, your body will not burn fat. While this does not stop weight loss, it will postpones it until the alcohol has been used up.
That being said, remember that alcohol lowers inhibitions and makes you more likely to eat off plan and it does add calories at about 100 calories per shot of clear liquor.

No flak here, lol!
I would only add that I think your WL does stop. It stops in the way that while your body is taking the time to burn the alcohol, it COULD be burning fats instead. So, for that brief time period you are losing out on burning more fat.
I agree that in the big picture - this will probably not make a noticeable difference. However, if you do it once and and a second time and it becomes more frequent - it could become noticeable. And some people aren't good at stopping at one when they start down a slippery slope or have a hard time rationalizing why they shouldn't do something again that they first did a few weeks ago that didn't "seem" to have any negative consequences.
That's why I agree it's a very personal choice and one that we have to make ourselves.
I did like other viewpoint the Atkins Diet Book gave about alcohol (re: That being said, remember that alcohol lowers inhibitions and makes you more likely to eat off plan), and do other stupid stuff, too - lol!

:) Jen

Desafinado
03-25-2013, 09:16 PM
I just tell my friends I won't drink, but I will point and laugh. At first they were a little pushy, but I've never been one to buckle to peer pressure (thankfully!) and now that they see me slimming down they leave me alone. Obviously what I am doing is working and is worth not having that drink.

runnergrl7
03-26-2013, 02:07 AM
This is a great post and conversation. I was getting really frustrated with slow loss and battling strong cravings. I was so close to giving in to a heat this weekend but I sayed OP. as a result I had a whoosh and at my WI (2 weeks) I was down 7 lbs.! Yippee!

Cheekyskeeter
03-26-2013, 06:44 AM
I thought I'd miss having a glass of wine when going out with friends but I don't. I order Perrier in a 'pretty glass' instead. My friends and my hubby's friends are extremely supportive and don't push me to drink or eat. The other night we were out with a large group of his male friends and one other wife. Well she asked me why I wasn't having a drink. Hubby's best friend grabbed my hand and made me do a spin and said look at her...that's why she's not drinking. It was sweet.

PacNW IP
03-26-2013, 08:24 AM
I did like other viewpoint the Atkins Diet Book gave about alcohol (re: That being said, remember that alcohol lowers inhibitions and makes you more likely to eat off plan), and do other stupid stuff, too - lol!

:) Jen

Actually, that part was straight from me. I've found that the only time I've ever deviated from plan there has been alcohol involved. :o The part about postponing fat burning is from Atkins!

I thought I'd miss having a glass of wine when going out with friends but I don't. I order Perrier in a 'pretty glass' instead. My friends and my hubby's friends are extremely supportive and don't push me to drink or eat. The other night we were out with a large group of his male friends and one other wife. Well she asked me why I wasn't having a drink. Hubby's best friend grabbed my hand and made me do a spin and said look at her...that's why she's not drinking. It was sweet.

LIKE!!! :D

JenRem
03-26-2013, 02:32 PM
This is a great post and conversation. I was getting really frustrated with slow loss and battling strong cravings. I was so close to giving in to a heat this weekend but I sayed OP. as a result I had a whoosh and at my WI (2 weeks) I was down 7 lbs.! Yippee!

WOW - 7 lbs! Great reward for perservering; that is so cool! :cool:

The other night we were out with a large group of his male friends and one other wife. Well she asked me why I wasn't having a drink. Hubby's best friend grabbed my hand and made me do a spin and said look at her...that's why she's not drinking. It was sweet.

Aaawwww! That is so SWEET! What a gentleman!

Actually, that part was straight from me. I've found that the only time I've ever deviated from plan there has been alcohol involved.

You are a WISE woman, then! Good advice.
I'm not a drinker - just never found anything I like and I'm super sensitive to the strong taste of liquor (get it honestly from my mom). If and when I do have a drink it's a lot of juices with a little something like peach Schnapps. So, never had the personal experiences of what a little inebriation makes one do, lol! :D