Ideal Protein Diet - Meal Replacement Drink...coming soon to IP!

Blessed900711
03-22-2013, 03:16 PM
I saw my coach today for my WI and she showed me the new meal replacement drinks IP is going to be coming out with soon. Not sure when but sounds like in a few weeks. Flavors are Vanilla, Chococate and Strawberry....

knm
03-22-2013, 03:19 PM
My coach has had these for a few months (in Canada). When I originally asked about them she said they were for maintenance and I wasn't there yet so never asked anymore questions. I'll ask again at my WI today.

Blessed900711
03-22-2013, 03:21 PM
My coach has had these for a few months (in Canada). When I originally asked about them she said they were for maintenance and I wasn't there yet so never asked anymore questions. I'll ask again at my WI today.

Thanks for checking, my coach didn't say anything about them being only for maintenance.... :(

scorbett1103
03-22-2013, 03:57 PM
They are meant for maintenance, as an emergency-backup kind of thing. IP is also coming out with Phase 4 prepackaged dinners (like Lean cuisine) for the same purpose. THey aren't meant to be used all the time but are an add-on product for situations where you may not be able to get in a proper meal.

Blessed900711
03-22-2013, 04:00 PM
They are meant for maintenance, as an emergency-backup kind of thing. IP is also coming out with Phase 4 prepackaged dinners (like Lean cuisine) for the same purpose. THey aren't meant to be used all the time but are an add-on product for situations where you may not be able to get in a proper meal.

Thanks for the information, I do like the convenience factor of these types if products in a pinch....

JohnP
03-22-2013, 04:17 PM
More overpriced products to purchase to help you maintain your weight.

Still no education about how fat loss/gain actually happens.

Excellent.

IdealProteinNewbie
03-22-2013, 04:31 PM
I posted this awhile ago but IP is coming out with new non-restricted packets in May:

Garlic & Herb Potato Chips
Cornflakes
RTD Cappucino
Chocolate Brownie
Ready-to-Eat Chocolate Pudding (already available in Canada)

CosmosHuman
03-22-2013, 04:34 PM

Excellent.

My gained weight is because I didn't follow through with a maintenance plan. I was on my own. I can only blame myself. My insurance plan d/c the in-person dietitian coverage so they could save money. I was a hard core Type 2 diabetic back then. Cleveland Clinic helped me lose the weight by teaching me what to consume. I also used Syntrax Nectar shakes and gym work-outs. I had a great endo MD who I still see, my next appt is May.

When I last saw her this past October I weighed 146, she said I was good to know, but inside of me I knew I was in trouble. I got depressed and started eating and going to the gym less.

I know if I want to eat reasonable healthy, like 1500 cal a day I have to work out, or the fat comes back. Some say this is way too little to eat to maintain, but I found out I can't go over that amount, and still have to work out. Without workouts to maintain I drastically have to eat less.

We now have a 1-800 dietician, who I can barely understand as she has a heavy Southern accent. I once asked her to help me calculate my LBM...she did not know how and she is a RD? She then told me I was eating way too much protein. I should have less than 50g a day? I nearly lost it. I complained to my HR manager, noting came of it. So I am on my own again trying to figure everything out. I don't have the money to attend a "diet center program". I can't afford MF, so I am using Nectar and BW and WS. When I do eat food, it is healthy, not fried (Foreman grill) and proper veggies. I limit myself to less than 30g carbs a day.

I do this because I do not want to die from complications of diabetes.

M35A2
03-22-2013, 04:58 PM

Excellent.

Since it's a company who's business plan is based on selling people products to help them lose weight why should you be surprised that they develop new products to do so?

IP isn't in business to "educate" people they're in business to make money. One of the ways they can do that is to hire "coaches" with limited training. If they were to hire professional dieticians that spent enough time to educate people better there would be considerable more expense involved.

Of course we could just have the government take over. I'm sure that'd bring the cost down for everyone /sarc.

JohnP
03-22-2013, 05:16 PM
Since it's a company who's business plan is based on selling people products to help them lose weight why should you be surprised that they develop new products to do so?

IP isn't in business to "educate" people they're in business to make money. One of the ways they can do that is to hire "coaches" with limited training. If they were to hire professional dieticians that spent enough time to educate people better there would be considerable more expense involved.

Of course we could just have the government take over. I'm sure that'd bring the cost down for everyone /sarc.

I'm not surprised and it appears we completely agree except on one point.

They could very easily supply material that accurately educates their dieters. Basic information is not difficult to teach. Instead, IP teaches rediculous notions like the pancreas needed to rest, and the magic of ketosis.

lisa32989
03-22-2013, 06:23 PM
IP isn't the only one preaching "magic" of ketosis.

Drs. Volek & Phinney:

Low Carbohydrate Performance
The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and EnjoyableGary Taubes books:

Why We Get Fat
Good Calories, Bad CaloriesDr Michael Eades books
Dr Mary Vernon
Dr William Davis
Dr Johnny Bowden

To name a few.

JohnP
03-22-2013, 08:04 PM

Drs. Volek & Phinney:

The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and EnjoyableGary Taubes books:

Why We Get Fat
Dr Mary Vernon
Dr William Davis
Dr Johnny Bowden

To name a few.

I have no idea why you listed a bunch of books/authors of low carb dieting. (Some of which are even decent) I'm not arguing that against low carb or even ketogenic dieting. In fact, I am a proponent of such. I'm just against disinformation. I'm against telling people information that is not true.

I like facts. Fact: you can gain fat in ketosis. Fact: Ketosis is not why you lose fat.

usmcvet
03-22-2013, 08:08 PM

Excellent.

I agree with John, sounds like crap to me. I'd stay away. This is not the direction I'd like to see things going.

knm
03-22-2013, 09:45 PM
Whether or not you agree with these new meal replacements, here's what my coach told me. As already mentioned, these are for maintenance. Flavors are vanilla, chocolate and strawberry. Although my clinic sells packs individually, these need to be bought by the box. 14 drinks for $48.
I didn't write down the exact nutrition info but from what I remember, from briefly looking at the chocolate one:
225 calories
8 g fat
23 g protein
17 g carbs
5 g fibre
Guessing the vanilla and strawberry would be similar.

JohnP
03-22-2013, 10:07 PM
Whether or not you agree with these new meal replacements, here's what my coach told me. As already mentioned, these are for maintenance. Flavors are vanilla, chocolate and strawberry. Although my clinic sells packs individually, these need to be bought by the box. 14 drinks for $48.
I didn't write down the exact nutrition info but from what I remember, from briefly looking at the chocolate one:
225 calories
8 g fat
23 g protein
17 g carbs
5 g fibre
Guessing the vanilla and strawberry would be similar.

Sorry I was just feeling a bit snarky today. I understand that from time to time someone might want to drink their meal rather than eat it. That said - I'd much rather have a protein shake and a piece of fruit. Costs far less, more filling, and almost as convienient.

Delgen
03-22-2013, 11:44 PM
My gained weight is because I didn't follow through with a maintenance plan. I was on my own. I can only blame myself. My insurance plan d/c the in-person dietitian coverage so they could save money. I was a hard core Type 2 diabetic back then. Cleveland Clinic helped me lose the weight by teaching me what to consume. I also used Syntrax Nectar shakes and gym work-outs. I had a great endo MD who I still see, my next appt is May.

When I last saw her this past October I weighed 146, she said I was good to know, but inside of me I knew I was in trouble. I got depressed and started eating and going to the gym less.

I know if I want to eat reasonable healthy, like 1500 cal a day I have to work out, or the fat comes back. Some say this is way too little to eat to maintain, but I found out I can't go over that amount, and still have to work out. Without workouts to maintain I drastically have to eat less.

We now have a 1-800 dietician, who I can barely understand as she has a heavy Southern accent. I once asked her to help me calculate my LBM...she did not know how and she is a RD? She then told me I was eating way too much protein. I should have less than 50g a day? I nearly lost it. I complained to my HR manager, noting came of it. So I am on my own again trying to figure everything out. I don't have the money to attend a "diet center program". I can't afford MF, so I am using Nectar and BW and WS. When I do eat food, it is healthy, not fried (Foreman grill) and proper veggies. I limit myself to less than 30g carbs a day.

Drs. Volek & Phinney:

Why We Get Fat
Dr Mary Vernon
Dr William Davis
Dr Johnny Bowden

To name a few.

Thank you for such positive replies. I for one am going to go to the 100% threads so I don't have to get so upset when I come online.

LexiChanel1
03-23-2013, 01:09 AM
Omg John p love your posts:) people get so defensive when someone states the truth

LexiChanel1
03-23-2013, 01:15 AM
Oh lord it's just a diet. Why is everyone so sensitive on ip? Who cares

ladylunk
03-23-2013, 01:44 AM
Thank you for such positive replies. I for one am going to go to the 100% threads so I don't have to get so upset when I come online.

I too get upset coming online as well. I feel I don't know this line of positivity that everyone seems to be striving for. I have reread the three quoted posts over and fail to find how they are so positive. Am I missing something? I see two people who didn't agree with another poster and are putting in their two cents and another talking about how maintaining works for her and her struggles with it as well. Agree with lexi on this one.

KristaL32
03-23-2013, 02:28 AM
I am new to this forum and love the support and encouragement I see in here. Was wondering how you track the weight loss with the little icons

JenRem
03-23-2013, 02:34 AM
I believe what Delgen was saying...... it isn't as much that those three posts were extra positive, it was that the posts around those (by other people) on page 1, were not stated in a positive light. Does this makes sense? Anyways, hope it helps you to better understand what I think is her position.

***I think the unfortunate aspect to email, text, or conversing through typing (like on this site) is that so much can be misconstrued. When I read something from someone, I try really hard to not infer any emotion/attitude in the person's typed "voice". As a human, this can be difficult though. What then happens is that one comment on a post might lead to another comment by a different poster - all based off of potentially wrong information to begin with. Whereas, if the same two people were speaking in person - the misunderstanding wouldn't have happened. :(

JenRem
03-23-2013, 02:45 AM
I am new to this forum and love the support and encouragement I see in here. Was wondering how you track the weight loss with the little icons

WELCOME - KristaL
It is called a "signature". I believe you have to be on the forum for at least 20 days and have at least 20 posts before you are eligible to get one. When your 20/20 is up and you're allowed to get one............. I think you just go to the dark solid blue bar that has 7 different categories on the top of the page. Pick "User CP". On the left hand side something will pop up regarding a "signature". I believe this is where you go to make yours, but again it won't even show up for at least 20 days. Sorry, I don't have perfect instructions on how to make - I made mine back in Nov. and I'm not a natural computer person; I just get by with doing the bare minimum on mine. :)

Thirteen
03-23-2013, 07:34 AM
Does anyone know if it's possible to buy the IP foods direct, rather than through a clinic? I realize you'd have to purchase a case, rather than just a box, but I'm okay with that.

swerdna59
03-23-2013, 07:58 AM
Social networking contexts, because they lack the face-to-face aspect of communication, are always going to be risky places to hang out. I read John's post and thought if people were sitting around a table talking his comment would have been just fine...which it was anyway.

usmcvet
03-23-2013, 08:34 AM
Sorry I was just feeling a bit snarky today. I understand that from time to time someone might want to drink their meal rather than eat it. That said - I'd much rather have a protein shake and a piece of fruit. Costs far less, more filling, and almost as convienient.

I would say even more convenient. My clinic is almost and hour away. I can buy fruit many places, and Protein shakes and bars at GNC and Walmart for much less. This is just a way to get more money out of folks!

scorbett1103
03-23-2013, 08:37 AM
Does anyone know if it's possible to buy the IP foods direct, rather than through a clinic? I realize you'd have to purchase a case, rather than just a box, but I'm okay with that.

www.plainprotein.com sells the IP foods and supplements, you don't have to buy a case at a time they sell by the box. I ordered all of my IP supplements from them for most of my weight loss journey. They are very reliable, fast and the shipping via USPS is free.

KristaL32
03-23-2013, 11:10 AM
Thanks so much for the info, love this site but I'm a little lost

JenRem
03-23-2013, 04:57 PM

To add to Scorbett's comment...
www.plainprotein.com
They use priority mail so you'll receive your order pretty quick from them. I have been able to use the month typed into the promo code box (doesn't seem to be case sensitive) to get a 10% discount. However, I don't know how much you have to spend to get it! Some people have said that the amount you have to spend can vary from month to month.

If you can afford to spend a little.... When I want to place an order, I usually put in any item and choose a large quantity, say like 6 of them. If the discount shows up, then I will back off the quantity to 5 of them. And so on and so on, until I determine how much I HAVE to spend to get the discount. Then, I erase the order and start over with what I really want to buy and make decisions based on what I want and how much I have to spend. Hope this helps. Jen

Thanks so much for the info, love this site but I'm a little lost

It can be overwhelming, but the more you play around on it, the easier it gets. Anything else specific that you are "lost" on?

scorbett1103
03-23-2013, 05:58 PM
To add to Scorbett's comment...
www.plainprotein.com
They use priority mail so you'll receive your order pretty quick from them. I have been able to use the month typed into the promo code box (doesn't seem to be case sensitive) to get a 10% discount. However, I don't know how much you have to spend to get it! Some people have said that the amount you have to spend can vary from month to month.

If you can afford to spend a little.... When I want to place an order, I usually put in any item and choose a large quantity, say like 6 of them. If the discount shows up, then I will back off the quantity to 5 of them. And so on and so on, until I determine how much I HAVE to spend to get the discount. Then, I erase the order and start over with what I really want to buy and make decisions based on what I want and how much I have to spend. Hope this helps. Jen

It can be overwhelming, but the more you play around on it, the easier it gets. Anything else specific that you are "lost" on?

I believe they set the discount minimum to $165 at the beginning of the year, it used to be $75

leannekarella
03-24-2013, 08:15 AM

I am a diabetic, and it took me forever to find a doctor who actuall BELIEVED me when I said I gain weight at 1500 cal/day. Until this doc, who specializes in diabetes and PCOS, listened to me and ran the proper tests, I was "alone" in everything I ever did, and once put myself on a very strict 800 cal/day diet that was NOT an IP type diet and literally starved 85 lbs off of me out of desperation.

So I feel ya!

The first weight loss that really worked for me that wasn't starvation, was Atkins. But like a lot of Atkins diet followers, I just quit losing after a while.

I have seen 3 different dietitian/nutritionists in my lifetime, plus one horrible diabetic clinic day after I was diagnosed. They DON'T GET IT! They want us to eat a "balanced" diet, but to eat balanced, lose weight, and deal with diabetes (I'm not on insulin) it's back to a starvation diet, basically. And I wound up maintaining for a lot of years on a 1200 cal diabetic diet, rather than ever losing any weight. Dietitians are not for everyone, because every one I've seen wants me to eat the calories that the chart says I should eat for my weight, which starts out at about 1800 cal/day. I have NEVER in 10 years eaten that much on a daily basis, and if I did I'd be gaining a pound a week, not losing it. They don't get it. They use the food pyramid, and want me to eat a ton of grains. I'm super super insulin resistant and I can't eat more than 1 piece a bread a day. Ever. They think I'm lying.

As for too much protein. I talked to my Dr about this, because I was doing Atkins. A "healthy" person should have about 1/2 gram of protein per pound they weight, per day. I'm 250 lbs now, so I should have around 125 g protein/day. I actually make sure I try to hit that target using IP. You can eat a WHOLE lot more protein that than per day without adverse side effects if you have healthy kidney and liver. On Atkins, I was doing about double that.

I hope you get everything straightened out and that you are able to maintain properly. It's not easy, but it's doable, once you get in the right mindset. I know it's possible to maintain without exercise because I tore some ligaments in my shoulder and couldn't do anything but walk for exercise for 2 years, and I didn't gain weight. I averaged the 1200 cal/day, and very few carbs (under 75 g/day). It's a matter of rethinking food. It cannot be used as a crutch. I had a long road to deal with that!

:hug: to you!

Thirteen
03-24-2013, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the info on plainprotein.com...once I'm in maintenance, I intend to continue eating some of their foods, but I'd rather not have to make regular trips to my clinic - plus, they don't keep a large supply, and sometimes when I go, they're out of the foods I like. Thanks again, very helpful!!!

aliboo723
03-24-2013, 11:36 AM
I posted this awhile ago but IP is coming out with new non-restricted packets in May:

Garlic & Herb Potato Chips
Cornflakes
RTD Cappucino
Chocolate Brownie
Ready-to-Eat Chocolate Pudding (already available in Canada)

Excited about the RTD Cappuccino, brownie and pudding! I bet people are going to come up with some great recipes with the cornflakes and chips.

CosmosHuman
03-25-2013, 08:40 AM
I am a diabetic, and it took me forever to find a doctor who actuall BELIEVED me when I said I gain weight at 1500 cal/day. Until this doc, who specializes in diabetes and PCOS, listened to me and ran the proper tests, I was "alone" in everything I ever did, and once put myself on a very strict 800 cal/day diet that was NOT an IP type diet and literally starved 85 lbs off of me out of desperation.

So I feel ya!

The first weight loss that really worked for me that wasn't starvation, was Atkins. But like a lot of Atkins diet followers, I just quit losing after a while.

I have seen 3 different dietitian/nutritionists in my lifetime, plus one horrible diabetic clinic day after I was diagnosed. They DON'T GET IT! They want us to eat a "balanced" diet, but to eat balanced, lose weight, and deal with diabetes (I'm not on insulin) it's back to a starvation diet, basically. And I wound up maintaining for a lot of years on a 1200 cal diabetic diet, rather than ever losing any weight. Dietitians are not for everyone, because every one I've seen wants me to eat the calories that the chart says I should eat for my weight, which starts out at about 1800 cal/day. I have NEVER in 10 years eaten that much on a daily basis, and if I did I'd be gaining a pound a week, not losing it. They don't get it. They use the food pyramid, and want me to eat a ton of grains. I'm super super insulin resistant and I can't eat more than 1 piece a bread a day. Ever. They think I'm lying.

As for too much protein. I talked to my Dr about this, because I was doing Atkins. A "healthy" person should have about 1/2 gram of protein per pound they weight, per day. I'm 250 lbs now, so I should have around 125 g protein/day. I actually make sure I try to hit that target using IP. You can eat a WHOLE lot more protein that than per day without adverse side effects if you have healthy kidney and liver. On Atkins, I was doing about double that.

I hope you get everything straightened out and that you are able to maintain properly. It's not easy, but it's doable, once you get in the right mindset. I know it's possible to maintain without exercise because I tore some ligaments in my shoulder and couldn't do anything but walk for exercise for 2 years, and I didn't gain weight. I averaged the 1200 cal/day, and very few carbs (under 75 g/day). It's a matter of rethinking food. It cannot be used as a crutch. I had a long road to deal with that!

:hug: to you!

Thanks! No one understands our needs but us! Well, I lost 7# this past week, one week so far, but I did go out to dinner Saturday night, so I have to go through ketosis again. I have a family thing tonight, but will just have protein and back to the gym tomorrow after work.