Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 03-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 291/234/170

Height: 5'9"

Default New Clothes

Yesterday was the first time I went clothes shopping since I started my weight loss journey. I had VSG surgery on March 5th, but have lost a total of 55 lbs since 2 months before surgery. My clothes, needless to say, are starting to get a little baggy, so I decided it was time to get a new outfit or two.

I NEVER shopped for clothes at Wal-mart, simply because the clothes didn't fit. I wore a 4XL shirt, and size 22 pants. I shopped at very expensive plus size clothing stores, because their clothes were made slightly bigger.

I decided to try Wal-mart, since I didn't want to spend a fortune on clothes that won't fit for very long. And to my pleasure, I was able to buy 3 shirts and 2 pants for less than $80! And the best part? The shirts were 1XL, and the pants were size 16...and still a little baggy! I am pretty sure the last time I fit clothes that size was in high school.
ForeverVivid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #2  

and !! Congrats on your success, forevervivid!!! Buying new clothes can be so motivating and I am sure you will be hitting the stores for smaller sizes in the near future!! I hope you post often and let us know about your continued success!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #3  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverVivid View Post
Yesterday was the first time I went clothes shopping since I started my weight loss journey. I had VSG surgery on March 5th, but have lost a total of 55 lbs since 2 months before surgery. My clothes, needless to say, are starting to get a little baggy, so I decided it was time to get a new outfit or two.

I NEVER shopped for clothes at Wal-mart, simply because the clothes didn't fit. I wore a 4XL shirt, and size 22 pants. I shopped at very expensive plus size clothing stores, because their clothes were made slightly bigger.

I decided to try Wal-mart, since I didn't want to spend a fortune on clothes that won't fit for very long. And to my pleasure, I was able to buy 3 shirts and 2 pants for less than $80! And the best part? The shirts were 1XL, and the pants were size 16...and still a little baggy! I am pretty sure the last time I fit clothes that size was in high school.
I just had the same experience as you. I was just recently able to buy some clothes at Walmart (cargo shorts, jeans, shirts, underwear) that I previously was unable to buy there. Instead, I had to go to the Big & Tall stores and pay 3 to 4 times as much for the same thing! Like you, I also figured that I would get them from Walmart for cheap since they are only intermediate clothes that I won't wear for very long. But honestly, I really like them and would have no problem buying the same things again when I reach my goal weight. The shorts and jeans ranged in price from $13 to $18, but were just as nice as anything I have ever bought at the Big & Tall store. Some of the shirts I bought were discounted to $3! You can't that! Now, for nicer clothes for work, etc. I'll go elsewhere.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #4  
Be strong and courageous

S/C/G: 310/195/140

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

I love buying SMALLER new clothes too. Im very happy for you. I also love shopping in my closet too :-)
susiefleshner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #5  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Good for you!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #6  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I am spending loads on clothes. I just can't help myself. To be honest, I have been looking like crap the past two decades, wearing the same stuff day-in day-out so I need a whole new wardrobe regardless. I just spent another 700 bucks today on a new suit, two new shirts, one pair of pants (38 inch waist baby!), a tie, two pairs of shoes and a new belt (old one is now too big). And all of that was on sale!

It will probably just end up being transition clothing too.

This weight loss business is expensive - at least I am making it that way. I hope I am worth it!

My new trick is to buy ever so slightly tight so that I will ungrow into my clothes.

Last edited by IanG; 03-22-2013 at 08:41 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:37 AM   #7  

Height: 5'8.5"

Way to go!

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 03-23-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 320/IP303/197/135

Height: 5'3"

That's wonderful! I've been shopping from my closet but did buy a couple new shirts from WalMart. Wearing something new always feels good.
Cherie2888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:45 AM   #9  

S/C/G: See ticker

Height: 5"3

Congrats - that's not a mini goal, that a MAJOR ACHIEVEMENT!!!!!!
Wheresmychin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #10  

Good for you. Congratulations
Campana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

What great progress!!!!!

One other source of clothes now that you're into smaller sizes is Goodwill. I've been in there and found things that still have the tags on them. I just take them home and launder them or if necessary get them dry cleaned, but you can get a LOT of clothes for very little money there and then just re-donate them when you've moved to the next size.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:08 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsy2013 View Post
What great progress!!!!!

One other source of clothes now that you're into smaller sizes is Goodwill. I've been in there and found things that still have the tags on them. I just take them home and launder them or if necessary get them dry cleaned, but you can get a LOT of clothes for very little money there and then just re-donate them when you've moved to the next size.
I agree with Betsy!! Last week for St. Patrick's Day I wore my $2.50 Levis from the Goodwill (they are getting too big but they are my favorites!!) along with my $2.50 Jones New York green tanktop from the Goodwill with my own hoodie on top. Seriously, I never dressed so good when I spent money at the mall or anywhere else. Green isn't my favorite color to wear but when it's Jones New York and $2.50, surely I will be wearing it again!

I figure, I pay $2.50 for clothes at the Goodwill (I only pay their $5.00 full price if it's something I need so bad I don't want to chance it) so it's like renting clothes for $2.50 as everything will eventually go back in the donation bin for someone else to benefit from.

I have gotten some really really nice clothes there. But there is lots of junk to get around to find the prized pieces!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote