Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: sig

Height: 5'10"

Default Exercise advice please

So according to my plan that I formulated myself that is in no way scientific nor is it guaranteed to work, I'm adding something new to my routine on the first of every month. I'm doing this in hopes to avoid plateaus, and to also work on fitness as opposed to just weight loss. Anyway, a couple of years ago I got REALLY into exercise and lost a good amount of weight while not really changing my diet. Now that I realize the errors of my ways, I've decided to focus on diet first.

So anyway. I started this on the first of this month, and with the first of the next month quickly approaching I'm going to try to aid 60 mins of fast paced walking to my day (split up if need be) and I feel comfortable with that.

So here's where the issue is, and also where I could have started this post if I wasn't a Rambler. On May first I will be done with finals which means Summer of no school and very little work so I thought about trying out Jillian Michaels' body revolution. And ADDING it to my cardio routine, not supplementing with it. However, since I will likely still have a lot to lose at this point, is to too early to start doing things that will "strength train" me? Will this hinder my weight loss efforts?

Any advice welcome.
Sunday115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #2  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

No, it will help preserve the muscle you have now (as a rule, as a heavier person you have more muscle than lighter people) - if you eat at a caloric deficit you will continue to shrink (lose fat).

You get to eat more if you have more lean body mass. I'm not even particularly muscular but I lift regularly - I can maintain a lower weight eating more calories every day than I ever could when I was just doing cardio.

Also, functional strength is awesome. My inner lazy person is thrilled every time I do a big grocery shop and only have to make one trip from the car to my apartment. :P
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #3  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Worrying about the perfect exercise routine is like worrying about the perfect diet plan. Not saying you're worried about the ideal plan but I just wanted to point out that the fundamentals are far more important than the minor details.

Brisk walking is great for now. Work on increasing your time and pace.

When you're ready (maybe summer?) I would add in heavy lifting. Personally I would prioritize heavy lifting over cardio. If you have time, do both. Lifting first. Very beneficial for a number of reasons including fat loss.

The specific routine isn't mission critical so long as it is based around compound exercises. 3 times a week is good, 4 is the most I would suggest.

NROL 4 Women has a decent program. I'm not a huge fan of the diet section of the book but it could be worse. (You can do the routine and follow your own dietary plan)
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #4  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday115 View Post
However, since I will likely still have a lot to lose at this point, is to too early to start doing things that will "strength train" me? Will this hinder my weight loss efforts?

Any advice welcome.
It is NEVER ever EVER too early to start lifting weights, ever (did I say ever?). NO WAY, it will not hinder your fat loss efforts!

My ONLY regret during my weight loss journey is that I didn't lift consistently (sporadically yes, but not consistently). I'd be so much closer to my ideal body if I'd have done it from the start rather than waiting until I hit maintenance!!!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/169/135

Height: 5'-8"

I think simply put, the more toned muscle you have the more calories burned.
At my age, I won't ever be Mr. Olympia but I keep what muscles I have toned and active by a regular weight routine.

Last edited by carl365; 03-22-2013 at 03:11 PM.
carl365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #6  

Sounds like a resounding yes then lol. Good because I definitely just bought it.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #7  

John, as far as I know, experts are disagreeing about that, also as far as I know, none of us are experts.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #8  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl365 View Post
I think simply put, the more toned muscle you have the more calories burned.
While this is true, that muscle burns more calories than fat, it's not significant. 1 lb of muscle burns 6 calories every 24 hours compared to 2 calories for a lb of fat.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #9  

To be honest my concern about weight training is purely superficial, I don't want it to end up making me look bigger while I'm still losing weight. Please don't take offense to this, but I don't take scientific type advice from people on the internet. lol.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #10  

Quote:
Please don't take offense to this, but I don't take scientific type advice from people on the internet.
This made me laugh but I digress.

My understanding is that 99% of the ladies on this site do not have enough testosterone to look bigger than we are from lifting weights. But I am not a professional so please take that statement with a grain of salt.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #11  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Quote:
To be honest my concern about weight training is purely superficial, I don't want it to end up making me look bigger while I'm still losing weight. Please don't take offense to this, but I don't take scientific type advice from people on the internet. lol.
LOL - don't you know everyone on the internet is an expert

I just started strength training... I think it will be a loooooooong way to go before I start to look bulky, probably for you too. Maybe if you start to feel bulky or something you can work on toning or something. I am not sure how it all works, but I figure any and all strength I can give my body will only help me.

Good luck
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #12  

I do also take body measurements on the 15th of every month, so I"m thinking at least I'll lose inches from it.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #13  

Anyway, I think closer to May first (I'll actually end up starting May fifth I think after checking my finals schedule) seeing if anyone on 3fc wants to do it with me!
Old 03-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #14  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
John, as far as I know, experts are disagreeing about that, also as far as I know, none of us are experts.
Which part? Also, how do you define "expert"?

I consider myself a relative expert which to me means I know more about this topic than my relatives.

Quote:
Your concern about looking bigger while you're losing weight is valid but baseless. The only way to look bigger is to gain muscle without losing fat. So long as you're losing fat you'll continue to appear smaller even if you're lifting enough to gain muscle while dieting. It should be noted, that unless you're some kind of genetic freak, gaining any sort of substantial muscle is highly unlikely because you're female.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #15  

Haha good to know. I figure as long as I ADD the weight training and don't do it instead of other things, I should be alright. I DO appreciate your advice. Thanks.