Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #1  

Angry Stuck for a month. SO ANNOYED.

Last edited by Smilla; 05-08-2013 at 10:50 AM. Reason: privacy
Smilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

Hmmm...Maybe try a cardio exercise you haven't been doing? Biking? Eliptical? Swimming? Dancing?

I say try having a rest day where you don't exercise and eat 1800-2000 calories. Then go back to your routine the next day, just to shake things up again.

Have you had your potassium levels checked? I didn't lose anything until my potassium levels were found to be deficient and I was supplemented.

The important thing is to keep pushing forward and not to give up. I know it's easier said then done, but the weight should start coming off again....
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #3  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Hi! First off, great job so far!!!!

2nd - did you cut your cals and up your exercise in February before or after you started to stall?

Unless I missed it, you didn't give your exact weight, but you said you are morbidly obese. Now, I'm not crying "starvation mode" or anything, but perhaps the combo of cutting your calories AND upping your exercise has something to do with it. I do believe a deficit should result in a loss, sometimes the scale doesn't reflect that right away.

If you are to keep your activity level as you've listed, I'd up your calories a bit, maybe 1800. You were losing fine on that before! Plus with the added activity! I'd either up the calories, or cut back a little on your exercise, give your body a little rest, and see what happens.

Believe me, I can relate to the frustration. But, I don't believe you are an alien shark lol.

I really really really don't think lowering your calories further and upping your exercise to 2 hours a day is a good idea. I realize I'm not a dr, but that just seems ridiculous.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #4  

I get your frustration!! But please don't do anything drastic.

Our bodies are such mysteries it makes me crazy.

We have to make sure we are eating sufficient calories to support the exercise we do and cutting back while increasing the exercise isn't going to help anyone. Plus it could prove downright dangerous.

Have you switched up your exercise routine? I finally realized with the help of someone here that my body is laughing at the exercise I have been giving it the last month or so. As in, my body is so used to it that nothing is a challenge anymore and it knows exactly what/where/when we are going to do it. This week I changed it up and omg am I sore. But I am hoping this simple switch up proves itself to me.

I don't do cheat days so I can't help you there. They make me nervous and would cause me to stray off plan. What if you tried sticking to your 1500 plus your 45 mins. of cardio for a few weeks and see how that works?

Good luck. I hope you post your progress and let us know if anything helped.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

So, I just now got out of a six week long plateau. It is important to mention I am on a low cal diet (1200) and do about 45 minutes of cardio/weight lifting about 3-4 times a week.

I went to my doctor totally upset that his plan was failing. My doctor lost his ever loving head and told me to eat "free and clear" for five days, but not to exceed 2000 calories. Then, go back on plan BUT to add an EAS Carb AdvantEDGE shake (or an equivalent) to my meal plan on the days I exercise no more than 30 minutes post workout. You should have seen me. I SO wanted to throttle that man. I had busted my arse to get to 259 and now he wanted me to up my caloric intake?!?!

I did. Because he told me too. And I gained. My god I was pissed. But...well, huh....wouldn't you know. Two weeks later, I am 5 pounds lighter after a heck of a plateau.

Apparently, his reasoning was, our bodies adjust to diet and exercise. Sometimes the breaker switch gets tripped and you have to reset. It worked for me. Granted, I am NOT a doctor and cannot say it would work for you, but it did work for me. Just for what it is worth.

Last edited by zoesmom; 03-21-2013 at 04:18 PM.
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #6  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

First of all - hang in there. If you keep at what you are doing your body HAS to burn fat eventually, it's physically impossible to run at a calorie deficit forever and stay the same weight. However, plateaus for sure happen and from what I've seen on these boards can last for an interminable amount of time.

My thoughts are that:

1. You should definitely talk to a good doctor. If your doctor is not helpful/judgemental, find another one!

2. Increase your water intake. I'm convinced water has super powers when it comes to weight loss.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 169/ticker/140

Height: 5.4

I don't know about the starvation mode, but i had been stuck on 159 for sometime now, so i did an old trick i used to do younger. I ate grilled meat for 3 days in a row with salads and a salad again at night, and then the fourth day i indulged on spaghetti AND chocolate cake (normal amounts though), the next day i was back on plan and now two days later i am one pound down. Maybe my body realized that there was enough food around and decided to let go of the fat deposits........maybe you should try a small break now and again or maybe try to eat a little more than that. 1400 seems too low i think. I am supposed to maintain at 2000, and i probably eat around 1700 each day.
Ellemphriem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #8  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Dear fellow forum members - before we all speculate on what it might be lets remember that the simplest answer is usually the right one.

Smilla - taking you for your word that you're accurate on your caloric intake the simple answer is that you're retaining water. (I've seen people make mistakes before)

Measurements not going down after a month is meaningless because most people aren't good at taking consistant measurements. You could measure light once and heavy the next. This is why I bought one of these and one of these.
The first one takes the tight or loose out of measuring and the second I picked a single site to measure and use a freckle to hit the same spot every time.

Short of you having some very unusual medical condition - what you need is patience. You're self described morbidly obese. The bigger you are the more water you can potentially retain.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #9  
L J

S/C/G: 159/138/135 (HW 200)

Height: 5'4"

I am by NO mean an expert on this, but, did your doctor give you your actual TSH levels when he checked your thyroid? Were your T3 and T4 levels checked also?

A few months after my last child was born I was certain my thyroid was not functioning properly. I had risk factors, including 9 months of blood thinners during pregnant, and I was having clear symptoms including a basal body temp of under 97 consistently. I went and had my thyroid checked. It came back normal, but I ask for the actual numbers. After talking with friends who are very knowledgable about thyroid function and doing my own research I determined that even though my levels were right on the line of normal for that particular lab, my adrenals were not functioning at a healthy level.

I made small, natural changes to support my adrenal system in a healthy way and immediately began to see results. Because I take my BBT every morning, I could actually see the changes on paper.

This may not be the case with you at all, but it would only take a phone call to your doctor and a few minutes of googling to determine if its worth pursuing.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

Just trying to sort it out:
You lost 65 pounds strictly by getting off two drugs.
You started dieting in December, and lost 10 pounds in 1.5 months @ 1800 calories a day.
You cut calories to 1500 a day, and haven't lost anything in the 1.5 month since.

Wow--you really do sound like you are doing everything right! I just wanted to acknowledge that. I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you.
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:45 PM   #11  
Embracing the suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilla View Post
I was put on starvation diets as a kid, to the point where some of my hair turned grey when I was 8 or 9. Sometimes I wonder if that really messed up my body.
There is not a lot of research out there on starving children but there small amount of data does seem to demonstrate that you can permentantly screw up your metabolism by starving yourself in formative years. You could be a very slow loser because of this.

Just my opinion, but if you're not feeling deprived there is no reason to increase calories. As for measuring - again you're self describing yourself as morbidly obese so fat could be coming off from many places and screwing up measurements.

I'd advise to just continue what you're doing and see how it goes. it wouldn't be surprising if you're retaining 8-10 lbs of water.

I'd also advise you to take your food log to your GP and based on your lack of results get a referral to a good endo.

Most importantly, although it seems like a silly thing to say, you haven't gained in the last six weeks. That in of itself is a victory. No matter how slow it's going you're improving your health with the exercise and you're not gaining back what you've lost. Win/Win
Old 03-21-2013, 11:46 PM   #12  

Last edited by Smilla; 05-08-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:49 PM   #13  
Embracing the suck

Also, for exercise, it really doesn't matter what you do. Don't worry about doing the perfect exercise. Getting your heart rate up is the most critical thing.

Ideally, in my opinion, you would be lifting heavy weights based on compound exercises but I understand that isn't possible. So for the time being, that is the last thing I would be worried about. (doing the perfect exercise routine for your situation)
Old 03-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #14  

Last edited by Smilla; 05-08-2013 at 10:52 AM.