Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #1  
Danielle

S/C/G: 293/see ticker/193

Height: 5'8

Default Jean anxiety!!!!!

I really need new pants but part of me is scared to try a size down because i'm afraid they wont fit. I remember the first time I went shopping after I lost about 30 pounds and I was in a 22 then. So when I went in to try on 20s I just KNEW they would fit and I would have proof of my weight loss. BUT they didnt and I was devastated! I was depressed for days! Last year I went thrift store shopping with my best friend and found a pair of size 18 skinny jeans and I tried them on for the heck of it. Believe me I was crazy nervous putting them on but they fit! I was soo excited. Then the evil thoughts in my head started telling me that the jeans probably ran big lol. So I haven't bought any pants since then.

I am going to Hawaii next month for my bday to visit my other best friend (who has lost 116 pounds!!!) and she said she has some jeans for me that she used to wear. She said they are size 16s!!!! Part of me is excited but most of me is super nervous about them not fitting. I am my worst critic and I'm so hard on myself. I guess I will see when I get there. I would hate to tell my friend that her "fat pants" were too small for me!!! Especially after I've lost 50 pounds! lol
MzJuicyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/137/120

Height: 4'11''

Don't get upset! I used to be the same way. Since my weight fluctuates so crazily, I have my skinny jeans/bigger jeans and I keep them. Whenever I'm feeling like I'm doing good and losing weight I will take out the skinny jeans and try them just to see. If they fit, but I can't button them, I know I have some more work to do. You should use it as motivation, not to get discouraged. We have all been there and these things take time. Be proud of yourself to see how far you've come.
celigirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #3  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaBfitnessbuff View Post
If they dont end up fitting maybe put on some old big jeans to remind yourself that even if you cant fit the 16's you have done an amazing job and lost alot.
What a fantastic idea!
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190.8/see sig/<165

Height: 5 ft 11

I hope your pleasantly surprised when you try on the jeans! You have lost 50 lbs. I think you deserve to get a good surprise like that! If they dont end up fitting maybe put on some old big jeans to remind yourself that even if you cant fit the 16's you have done an amazing job and lost alot.

I am on the other end of the spectrum. I am just getting to losing weight and even with 5 lbs down I am at my old highest weight. I tried on some long shorts I bought last summer. What is sad is that when I bought them they were the largest shorts I had ever had to buy. I lost a little weight over the summer and by the time I put them away for the year they were getting a bit loose. They were too tight when I tried them on yesterday! I hope I can fit them by the time it gets warmer. I'm probably just 5 lbs from wearing them. But I understand feeling depressed the rest of the day. That was my day yesterday. But this morning I decided to use them as extra motivation. I think I'll hang them sideways so they are facing out in my closet as a reminder that I want them to be loose by june!!

Last edited by wannaBfitnessbuff; 03-21-2013 at 01:20 PM.
wannaBfitnessbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

I definitely know how you feel. But the sizes do change a lot so don't put your self worth behind a piece of fabric. Congratulations on the weight loss that you have lost so far! That is very exciting!
racrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #6  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

I completely understand about jean anxiety.

Someone. Here offered good advice when I posted about jeans a while back. The size on jeans is completely arbitrary. So you may wear a 16 in one brand but an 18 in another or maybe even a 14 in yet another.

Congratulate yourself on your success so far and find a pair of jeans you can rock!

(I bought a size too small from the goodwill to work towards, I've got a bit to go, but every week I'm a bit closer to fitting them)
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

If they do not fit, ITS OK! You can have something to work towards! I don't think I was in 16's until I was under 200......

You have worked hard and accomplished much! Don't take that away from your self.

Last edited by dstalksalot; 03-21-2013 at 03:39 PM.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

I HATE clothes shopping! Puts me in tears almost every time! I completely understand how you feel about the jeans and worrying they won't fit.

Just keep in mind that if they are to tight, you can hold on to them and have them on hand for when you lose a bit more! Also, one thing that I really try to keep in mind is that different clothing makers mean the sizing could be different. Some run smaller than others. Drives me up a tree but it is what it is!!!

Enjoy your trip to Hawaii!!! And congrats on losing 50 pounds so far!!!
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #9  

Congrats on your 50lb loss!! Your vacation sounds awesome, what a way to celebrate you and your friends amazing losses!

Jeans are the evilness of the fashion world!!

I have come to realize that I can't go by size due to the brands all being so different.

My current rotation includes the following:

20W Levis from the Goodwill
18 Old Navy from the Goodwill
16 Avenue from the back of my closet (whoo hoo!)
Can't wear the 18W Fashion Bug jeans as they fall down (whoo hoo!)--these were too big before I even could get into the Levis. So I moved from an 18 to a 20 but lost weight??
I also have a size 16 from Fashion Bug I paid $5 for when they closed. I can finally get them over my butt and buttoned but they aren't appropriate for the public yet. They hang on my inspiration closet door and I gaze at them every morning.

I go to Old Navy and Macys to try on different styles and brands but can't commit to anything as it would be a waste of money as I hope to not last too long in any one size. And at the Goodwill, I only buy the ones for $2.50 on sale LOL!

I think you may be pleasantly surprised at how everything fits. And if they don't fit yet, they surely will soon!! Jeans are so expensive, I'm envious of your friend giving you all of hers!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

If they don't fit, then you've got a new short term goal. I always had a pair of jeans around that didn't fit and I'd try them on once a week until they did, and then I'd buy a new pair that was too small. It's incredibly empowering when that pair that didn't fit last week buttons up without an issue.

At your height and weight, they might not fit yet. But the "yet" is the important word in that sentence.

Personally, if I were you I'd spend my time worrying about getting into some shorts. Nobody wandering around Hawaii in April in jeans, anyway.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #11  
thinking skinny

S/C/G: 319/275.3/159

Height: 5'7

If they don't fit & you like them TAKE EM ANYWAY & work into em'. I have a few pairs of "thinspiration" pants right now that are slowly rising higher and higher up my thighs when I try them on. It's just amazing how sizes are different depending on the store. I'm currently wearing 20,22, & 24 depending on the pant. At 240ish I remember owning 14's. I'm starting to care less and less about the number and more about how I feel/look to myself.
yourbffmegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #12  
Danielle

S/C/G: 293/see ticker/193

Height: 5'8

Thanks guys!!! I will try to relax lol. I have so much anxiety lol
MzJuicyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 190.8/see sig/<165

Height: 5 ft 11

Robin- maybe this isn't the appropriate place to ask. But I noticed you and I are similar in height. I was curious what size you ended up at in your current weight. My goal if probably more like 155-160, but my small goal (ill have to see if its realistic for me) is 145.

P.S. your weightloss amazes me! Your an incredible inspiration.

Last edited by wannaBfitnessbuff; 03-22-2013 at 09:11 AM.
wannaBfitnessbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #14  
Empress/Queen

This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozzy View Post
I completely understand about jean anxiety.

Someone. Here offered good advice when I posted about jeans a while back. The size on jeans is completely arbitrary. So you may wear a 16 in one brand but an 18 in another or maybe even a 14 in yet another.

Congratulate yourself on your success so far and find a pair of jeans you can rock!

(I bought a size too small from the goodwill to work towards, I've got a bit to go, but every week I'm a bit closer to fitting them)
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 165/137/120

Height: 4'11''

^ exactly. I am a size 8 in American Eagle all day long. I don't even have to try on their jeans. I can literally walk in, grab a pair and leave and I will go home and they will fit like butter. Any other store, I could be a 9,12,6, etc etc. It's frustrating but I found that if you find a store just stick with it. Jeans are jeans, they all look the same. Don't be so worried about the number on the tag, whats most important is how you feel and how you look! Size is nothing but a number!
celigirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote