Atkins - Cinnamon for blood sugar

View Full Version : Cinnamon for blood sugar

jjarman
03-20-2013, 03:48 PM
I have started taking cinnamon capsules, 1000mg, 3 times a day. It is supposed to help regulate your blood sugar, keep metabolism up, keeps insulin in check. Anyone else try this?

berryblondeboys
03-20-2013, 03:58 PM
I don't take capsules, but I love the taste of cinnamon, so I put about a teaspoon on my apple everyday at lunch and then dip it in peanut butter. I love the sweet spicy taste of cinnamon. I feel like I'm eating something decadent, but it's apple, cinnamon and peanut butter - totally awesome food and not a decadent dessert.

Not sure if the cinnamon helps or not, but it can't hurt and it tastes yummy!

ghost
03-20-2013, 04:00 PM
I have heard that before. I eat so low carb though that I don't have much of a problem controlling my blood glucose levels.

PUPMOM5
03-20-2013, 04:40 PM
I don't eat low carb but I do use cinnamon, the same dose - I take it before every meal, and I think it helps a great deal. I have PCOS with symptoms of insulin resistance. I feel as if I lose slightly more weight when I have a week spot-on with it, and just generally feel better.

wannaskipandlaugh
03-20-2013, 08:18 PM
I do take the cinnamom capsules.. tho just 1 a day (350 mg). It does help to regulate your blood sugar and Glucose metabolism. So any carbs coming into your body will be helped alittle with the cinnamon taking :)

California17
03-21-2013, 04:44 AM
What if you're eating very low carb anyway (Atkins 72' levels), and don't have insulin resistance? Is cinnamon necessary?

jjarman
03-21-2013, 10:25 AM
I figure it can't hurt. Although I have been reading that the cinnamon you buy in the stores and the type I have in my capsules is actually cassia which is like cinnamon and apparently works like the Ceylon Cinnamon. The cassia has a compound in it called coumain which can be liver toxic. I am getting some ceylon cinnamon this weekend just to be on the safe side.

Bobbette78
03-22-2013, 01:12 PM
I recently started sprinkling some in my coffee and hot tea, I also figure it can't hurt, right? I didn't know about the cassia though so thank you jjarman! I will also be picking up some Ceylon cinnamon as well.