Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 06:51 AM   #1  

Default Fibromyalgia #95

Good morning-what gorgeous weather we are having!Gotta finish up and drive to Northampton tonight. I get so stressed getting ready. Have a wonderful time Joanne -I can imagine how excited you are. Inspire us with pics of your garden Candice. Gotta get motivated to walk and diet again-it's such a struggle. Bye for now-Mima I feel bad for you Anne. The same thing happened to me-I only lived in my condo for a bit over a year and then I got married but it was much easier-the tough part was combining 2 houses-Mima
Old 05-20-2003, 07:49 PM   #2  

It will be another week of rain here in NY. I may have to go backon Paxil...this is depressing.
Go Ruben....gotta go watch American Idol.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:53 AM   #3  

Angry Hi

What a great finish to American Idol 1300 and a few odd votes difference. What a send off to too fine singers. They will both go places.

It is FINALLY nice and sunny and warm here and it looks like it's staying for a while. Up in the 70's. I am FINALLY less achey, although, I did a Candice last night and stayed up until 5:00 a.m. Hubby is on holidays and he looked so comfy having an afternoon nap, that I joined him - BIG MISTAKE ON MY PART ! That resulted in the insomnia of last night.

I hope everyone is doing well.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:58 AM   #4  

I went to the Rheumatologist Monday...I'm off the gold for good but he didn't replace it with anything. Said he wanted to wait until it all got out of my body which will take 3 or 4 months.

Tues. I went to my reg. Dr. with my flu symptoms and told him about nearly blacking out several times and about being so bone tired all the time. He ran a bunch of blood tests. They called this morning and said I was severly anemic. (tell me something I didn't already know!) I have to go back in 2 wks. and have them all run again. Trouble is, they didn't tell me anything to do to build it back up in the meantime. They never do 'cause they don't know what to do! (short of a transfusion!) Would be nice if I could just take a vitamin with iron like normal people do.

Meanwhile...back on the farm...I've been doing some research of my own! I've found out what is causing a lot of my problems. Side effects from the Nortriptyline. That stuff is bad news. I'm taking myself off it slowly. And I will never ever take any of the triptyline drugs again. I said that about amytriptyline back 100 years ago when I was taking Elavil but when this new Neurologist wanted me to try it I said ok. NEVER AGAIN.... It has given me a really bad cough, ringing in my ears that's driving me nuts (more like a high pierced 'ET phone home' sound) made me feel like I have a bladder infection half the time, and it can cause chills, fever and muscle aches so I'd say that's where my flu symptoms came from. It was prescribed for better, deeper sleep but it has caused me to have nightmares unreal and to make at least 2 or 3 trips to the bathroom at night that I wasn't making before I started taking it.

I'm tired of new medicine and I'm tired of Drs. screwing around with my life. I'm just tired...PERIOD!

Thank goodness the rain is gone for a few days!!! My temp is down, bad body aches and chills are gone. No headaches. Going to get off the weird medicine so maybe all this other weird stuff will go away. Hubby said we need to go back on Atkins for a couple of weeks and get my blood count back up. I lost another pound...down 12. GOD IS GOOD!
Old 05-22-2003, 10:32 AM   #5  

Default Hi

Meme - Gosh, I hope you feel better soon. Been awhile. To build up your iron, try eating lots of beef, broccoli etc. I stopped taking Amitriptilyne in the fall and don't notice the difference in my sleep pattern or pain levels. My hubby's Mom used to get Iron shots. Also, the Dr. in Denmark, advised that she drink STOUt, but she couldn't handle drinking it. So there you go!

Another nice day coming on here, although at the moment looks a little to the cloudy side.

Everyone have a great day.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:13 AM   #6  

My yard smells like heaven With all the iris blooming (lots this year) everything smells so good. The purple irsis, pink soapwort and white star of bethleham look so pretty.

Got all my impatients in today (coral) and some of my dark leaf begonias with the licorice plant in one of my barrels.

Happy..is napping all you did with Hubby

Meme...That is eactly why I quit going to dr.s..they just push pills because they do not know what else to do and I was ahving too many side effects from all that stuff. I used to take iron shots....can you take those?

Ally..Did paxil work before? It made me terribly anxious so I could not stay on it. Everything makes me anxious!

Mima...walking is so good for you and it should be fun too! This is not a diet..but a way of life! (not a very fun way but it works!)

Hi Serenity, Joanne, annagram and gail
Old 05-23-2003, 04:39 PM   #7  

Hey Meme-my aunt has pernicious anemia and has to get b12 shots every 3 weeks and takes iron pills. when she first got it she could hardly get out of bed, when i was anemic, they prescribed iron. Probably something yoy were taking takes the iron out of your system . Anyhow-hope you get cured fast!!!Candice-send pictures. Now that our siding is done, we have to landscape, plant grass, make a garden etc. I only started last year and now I have to move some of my tulips. I was working on a nice perennial garden when I sold my house and the new owner put his boat right in front of it. Guess I'll have to start again.Can't wait to finish work so I can start working a bit on it. Maybe siding will be done by then-it keeps raining and he can't show up. I had a fun 3 days-went to the mall last night. I work with such great people. 4 days next week and then 2-not bad. Someone else pd us money that he owed. Things are getting better. Looks like its going to be a lousy weekend-least til Sun-we don't have too many plans-just 2 cemeteries on Sun. Gotta get someone to wallpaper soon. Bye for now-Mima
Old 05-23-2003, 10:23 PM   #8  

Hi Ladies,
Isn't spring just the greatest time of the year? I love reading about everyone doing their planting, mulching and all that other fun stuff.....lol I'm finally done with the majority of my yardwork. Boy, am I paying for it too.....lower back is killing me and muscle pain all over. Doesn't help that it also got cool and damp here. It was worth it though, it's so pretty to look at!
I don't blame you Meme for wanting to get off all the meds. I've always been scared to try a lot of that stuff. When the pain gets too much to handle, I find using a nice aromatherapy bath salt in the tub with water as warm as I can stand to really help. My massage therapist also gave me a balm to use called Sombra that helps too.....has some capsaicin in it for the pain....very soothing.
Hi to you too Candice I hope all of you have a restful holiday weekend! Don't work too hard.....try to talk the guys or the kids into cooking
Talk again soon,
Gail
Old 05-25-2003, 08:11 AM   #9  

Hi there-Happy Memorial Day-did everyone but me go away? I couldn't find cemetery baskets yesterday and we are going to 2 cemeteries today!!!Hope I find something after church. I think it's going to clear up a bit today-It has been pouring. How did you like the outcome of American Idol-I was disappointed but I don't think it will matter in the long run. Hope you enjoyed your visit with your grandson Joanne. Have you found a place to live Anne. Bye for now Mima
Old 05-26-2003, 03:49 AM   #10  

Had a scare out in the yard yesterday...my right leg (which happens to be my good leg) would not let me put weight on it, I thought I would never get back to the house! Then I did some stretches and it was ok. Then it happend when I got up out of my recliner inside too! Today it has been ok. My hips are getting really bad and my yard work harder to do each year!

NUTRITION NEWS FOCUS
"Nutrition news is important. We help you understand it!"

Today's Topic: Nuts to High Cholesterol

Yet another study of feeding nuts has shown a reduction in serum cholesterol levels. This time, walnuts, which are rich in polyunsaturated fats, replaced about 35 percent of the calories obtained from monounsaturated fat in a Mediterranean diet. About 50
middle-aged people in Spain with elevated cholesterol levels completed the trial. Reductions in total and LDL cholesterol averaged about 4 to 6 percent.

It is not clear what the active ingredient in the nuts is that lowers cholesterol. While speculation has focused on the fat content, it could be vegetable protein, soluble fiber, or trace minerals. The bottom line is that nuts can be a healthy addition to almost any diet. This study appeared in the April 4, 2000 issue of the Annals of
Internal Medicine.
< http://www.annals.org/issues/v132n7...4040-00005.html >

HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW: Previous studies with almonds and peanuts (which are not nuts but legumes) showed reductions in risk factors for heart disease. It is important to remember that nuts are high in fat and calories. Simply adding them to the diet means a certain weight gain _ they have to replace something else.
Old 05-26-2003, 03:55 AM   #11  

For Mima Purple iris and pink soapwart in bed next to the house.

Last edited by Candicej; 05-26-2003 at 04:00 AM.
Old 05-26-2003, 03:57 AM   #12  

Star of Bethlehem...this is a smal bulb and I have them all over, so pretty!
Old 05-26-2003, 09:23 AM   #13  

Oh Candice-gorgeous-we are now planning our landscaping to go with the new look of the house-want to take a trip to MA Candice? It's still raining-3 days!!!gONNA BE CLEAR TOMORROW WHICH IS tUES AND i/M going back to work-can't stay online because Brad is waiting for a call and hopes he does not have to go back out. Saw Ruben and Clay on Today!!!Mima
Old 05-26-2003, 10:15 AM   #14  

Lovely flowers, Candice.

Happy Memorial Day, All! No real plans here. DS/DDIL were here Sat but decided not to stay over as she wasn't feeling well. Drove to outlet mall halfway between here and DD and played with princesses while Mommy/Daddy shopped yesterday.

Anne I hope the search for housing is going well.

Joanne, didn't get to see you. Hope the rain wasn't a big damper. It seems to be a damper on so much this year. We have a few rays of sun at the moment so I'm going to go out and prowl around before I do any work (and I'm not going to do much of that).

Have a good one, Ally, Serenity, Meme and all others mentioned and not.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:10 AM   #15  

Default Hey

Well I am back for about a week. Then I am going to my Daughters again. I have spent so much time in the car ,I think I am still rolling down the road.
I have company this week. My brother is down from Az. with his wife. I know we will have a great time.
The arrival of the Truman was wonderful. In spite of the rain. It rained the whole time we were there. It was worth every minute. I would do it again and again. I was lucky and found a seat on a bleacher so I didn't have to stand. I was wearing plenty of layers so I was not too chilled. You know Fl. people pack for warm weather. I had to buy a light jacket.
Buy for now...Joanne
Closed Thread