Weight Loss Surgery - WLS Chatter...Week of 5/19

View Full Version : WLS Chatter...Week of 5/19

loranden
05-19-2003, 04:14 PM
So what is everyone up to this week? :wave:

The photo session went well; we went on location to White Oak Park, which is about half an hour from where I live. For this shoot I wore a white short sleeved white "mock neck" pullover and my black overalls, which I had gotten from the Silhouettes catalog not too long ago. Mel (the photographer) had some good ideas for poses and areas of the park for a variety of shots--and he took 38 shots of lil old me:lol: ! Hopefully, I can have the new shots online both at my website and maybe get one or two on here for all of you to see too, within the next day or so.

IT'S A SUNNY 72 DEGREES TODAY!!! :dance::cp: :cb:

It's time for me to take yet another walk after dinner:s:

debkay
05-20-2003, 07:13 AM
Hi Lori, thanks for starting our chat area.....I came into 3fc's a couple of times yesterday......just didn't sit still long enough to post :rolleyes:

Lori, are the photos for you own use or are they publicity shots? I took a quick look at your web site last week and noticed you are one busy girl!

I wanted to welcome all our new posters. Sorry I can't remember everyone's screen name......but welcome! Keep posting asking questions and share a little of your day with us.

warning whine alert.........

My walking partner is out of comission for two weeks!!! Poor Hazel has either fractured or sprained her foot. The x-ray machine was not working properly at her doc's office yesterday. he said the treatment is the same. Hazel of course has a great attitude about it.......she wants to walk anyway, but knows she cannot. I'm forced to go to the park..........all alone!!!!! Hazel........STAY OFF THE FOOT!!!!!!! How she is going to do that with two little babies I don't know.

Since starting this walking I have dropped 11 pounds :dance: My self-imposed stall has broken. I have had wonderful energy since losing weight, but since starting to walk again, my energy is endless. What a wonderful feeling!!

Hope everyone has a great day.

Ruthxxx
05-20-2003, 07:54 AM
Gee, Debkay. You are inspiring me to get off my fluffy butt and walk more. Hershey and I both need it. Gardening just doesn't do it.

Repairman's Wife
05-20-2003, 03:18 PM
Hope you all are having a great week. We are off Monday! :)
Repairman and I are planning to take the Trikes on a trial run.
It has rained everyday since we got them (of course) :(
I found out my PCP is leaving for who knows where and the Clinic where she works is shuttung down. Can anyone say "PANIC"
We are going to see her tomorrow and find out if this will effect my plans for surgery???? Mary Beth

debkay
05-21-2003, 08:20 AM
Morning! Getting ready to run out the door for my walk, but wanted to say hello first.

Marybeth hope you get to use your new trike this weekend, they look like so much fun.

Ruth.....my friend says the hardest thing about walking is taking the first step, and she is so right. Once you take that first step your on your way!

What a rainy, icky few days we have had in the deep south. I even turned my heat on the other day :yikes: but it is back to AC now.

Okay...........where is everyone!!!!!!! We have over 70 views but 4 posts!

Post and say hello..........OH I know what it is, peachie and chickadee are ashamed of their baseball teams. :lol: Trust me, if that doesn't get the two of them to post nothing will!! :D

Off to the park.................ALONE!

loranden
05-21-2003, 01:01 PM
Here I am...in all my blonde cuteness:lol:

These are general portfolio photos; and I have just updated my website. I did send a new headshot along to the agencies I am with so they can update their databases.

It has been a wet, chilly May for the most part--and Memorial Day Weekend doesn't look too promising where I am either.:(

Chickadee
05-21-2003, 02:38 PM
Quit yanking my chain Deb! Peachie's team may suck, but my boys are just giving the other fellas a fighting chance! Yeah, that's it - a fighting chance to keep up with us once we really get going.

I'm still waiting on Kaiser to get their collective *** (can I say that?) in gear and get this ball rolling. Patience is not one of my virtues!

My family all comes in a week from today for my son's graduation and Eagle ceremony. Guess I'd better get this place clean, huh? Anybody traveling through Colorado next week? Come help us celebrate and bring cases of Kleenex. I definitely am going to need them. :cry:

I'm still coaching softball. We've had two games so far. One was incredibly great and the other was at the opposite end of the spectrum - they sucked! I think I've got the Jekyl and Hyde of girls softball teams on my hands. Hopefully the good ones show up for this weekend's games. Not that I'm competitive or anything.

That's about it. Have a good week y'all (even if you don't have southern accents!)
Chickadee

debkay
05-21-2003, 02:54 PM
Lori that is one sassy hair-do!!!! That's a great cut for the summer.

IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!! Hi Chickadee.......now where is that peachie :rolleyes:

Chickadee graduation and Eagle cermony at the same general time, you will be one tired hostess. My poor mind can't remember, is this your first child to graduate? I did okay when the first graduated, wanted to run and hide when the second son tried to kiss the principal when accepting his diploma. NOT looking forward to next year when it's my baby girl. Any left over tissues send to Atlanta.

jiffypop
05-21-2003, 05:38 PM
can't stand this job!!! but at least i won't have to take it all that much longer!!!! we have to stay late tonight to hold the hand of the VP of design. a wonderful person, extremely talented, who caves under stress. and he's caving!!!

mom got it into her head to throw out all the food we bought over the weekend!!! not sure why. at least, my stuff, which i stash in the crisper drawers, is safe, at least so far. i put it there because she's very much 'out of sight, out of mind' and they're at the bottom of the refrig, hard for her to bend over.

the office is moving tomorrow to a location about 8 miles from home, rather than the 20 it is now. a nice thing. but not nice enough!!!!

what else? hmmm. eating hasn't been the greatest. just not interested. can you believe that statement???

and haven't been to the gym this week [please don't throw things at me!!!!]. i have the office bug and it kind of hurts to breathe. so i decided to rest and get better rather than push and push and push. with any luck, i'll be back on the bike to nowhere next week.

just wish i didn't have to work [let's see... have i hit a new record yet for complaining about my job????]

oh. and i have a chance to be in an infomercial for WLS. phone interview tomorrow. if chosen , then shooting next week or the week after. and i STILL might end up on the cutting room floor!!! but it'll be fun...

well, that's about all i can think of. have only had 64 oz water today, so i still have some catching up to do.

and artichokes taste great, but didn't stay down.

and a french chef flirted with me on sunday night, and i didn't realize it until TUESDAY!!!!!!!

and lori, your royal blondness looks "ADORABLE!!! and LOVE the haircut!!!

deb... you're the best, even for a southern belle.

chickadee... coaching? a graduation? you're a brave, overworked soul!!

ruth.. hug the girls.

and i haven't heard from peachie this week, although i did meet her new cat. a true sweetheart.

his_princess
05-21-2003, 07:58 PM
:o GUILTY AS CHARGED !!!

ok i am one of those who come here and reads and doesn't take the time to post anything !!! So I will try and turn over a new leaf and not only read but post something.... although I have yet to have my surgery ... I suppose I can fill up space somehow !!! LOL

I have had 2 sleepless nights this week and it's only wednsday... not good ! Usually it happens once a week.... sunday night and last night. Geez. Not sure why.... My husband works second shift so we've always been on a not normal schedule. I hope when i get my sleep apena machine I can get some good sleep. I wonder how many years it has been since i truly slept good !!

This waiting on things.... to get completed for surguery is the pits !! I had the sleep test last wednsday. And ended up wearing the machine half the night. Yet. I have to wait till someone reads the study, and the doctor reviews it before i can get my machine. They said 2 weeks... or so. Well today is 1 week. I will be calling next wednsday if i don't hear anything. Then I am also waiting to hear that insurance has approved it. This should happen any day !! Even so, I have to wear the sleep machine 6 weeks before surgery... so I am thinking it will finally happen in Aug. (dr. is on vacation last 2 weeks of july).

I am doing my water therapy and it sure makes me feel good, atleast till the evening and i stiffin up pretty bad. I truly look forward to getting into that warm water and moving... just standing for longer the 5 minutes is wonderful !!

The sun is shining today, although it's not that warm out and the wind is blowing. Suppose to rain the weekend... wonderful !!! Been a strange spring here in Ohio!! But thank God ... no servere storms... or tornados !!

Jiffy... I had not heard the 6 month wait for protien bars.... thanks for that bit of info !!

Lori.... I think your blonde hair is great !!! I wish I were brave enough to do something different with my hair. Heck who knows... after i shed some pounds maybe I will do something brave.... it's a thought !

In time I hope to get to know you all. A little more info about me.. I am 42 married to Mike who is 45. Both are having surgery at the bariatrc center in groveport Ohio this fall by Dr. Choban, she is really nice and it felt right when we met with her ! We have been married 13 years and have no children...(not due to lack of trying... just never happened ). We met in the local newspaper in the personals. Met March of 89 and married oct. of 89! (and they said it wouldn't last ... lol)

Well.... I think I've filled my share of this post for today !!

Didn't mean to ramble so... see what you've created !!! lol

Have a great memorial weekend everyone !!! Stay safe !!

Till next time !!
Cindy

loranden
05-21-2003, 09:17 PM
I figured it would be better for me to change my weigh in day from Sundays to Wednesdays, so I jumped on The Beast (aka the scale :lol: ) this morning:

I LOST THREE MORE POUNDS! :cb: :dance:

Considering my TOM is due shortly, that is pretty good (and for the second month in a row, I have not broken out in a thousand zits nor had nutty mood swings :dizzy:

See...I told you all I was going to crack down! :drill: My goal is to break 300 by the time I see the weight loss surgeon on August 25; my food has been great this week, and in addition to doing my 100 tummy crunches and butt lifts this morning, I also did my 30 minute workout this afternoon.

With the cool wet weather, I haven't been able to walk much. Maybe I better hit the mall to walk instead :shrug:

debkay
05-22-2003, 07:34 AM
Good rainy, wet, dreary morning in the deep south!! Even the rain can't dampen my mood!!

Jiff so sorry the job isn't going any better :( But....the chance to be in a informercial :dance: I hope they select you, you are such a great success story for wls. When will you know and will it be on regular tv? I HOPE YOU GET IT!!!

And Jiff....I'm not really a southern belle, I'm more like a mid-Atlantic type of girl :rolleyes: I just play a southern belle on 3fc's :lol:

Lori :bravo: on the 3 pounds! Keep up the good work.

Hi Cindy, you and I are close to the same age.....I will be 44 :yikes: in June. And you know, the waiting before surgery is the hardest, first you worry that you will be approved, than after your approved you find something else to worry about. I think we have all been there. I truly believe the wait before surgery is a necessary evil, it gives us time to really make sure this is the right thing for us.

Cindy who will go first, you or hubby??

peachie! oh, peachie.....where are you? :devil:

No walking today for me, I'm a wee bit sore, and the rain is also part of the problem. I plan to ride my exercise bike instead.......cross your fingers that I actually do it. :rolleyes:

Off to start the day, have a good one all.

Ruthxxx
05-22-2003, 08:12 AM
Just popping in.
Lori, I love the hairstyle! I had mine that short a few years ago and just loved it. You look great.
Hugs to all especially to Jiff and Leanna. Just remeber. girlies, nothing lasts forever, even nothing.

peach pit
05-22-2003, 09:07 AM
Love the hair Lori! Wish I had the nerve to do it!!! Congrats on the three pounds...and I sure do wish I could lift my butt!

....and Cindy....I can fill up so much space that you would be amazed!!!! (and that is with or without surgery!) rofl...I slay me :rolleyes:

Jiff....what is this about a commercial? come on, spill I want details....good thing is about ending up on the cutting room floor is that NOW you can get up!!!!

I should be ashamed.

and speaking of yanking Chickadee's chain. Did you know that I still have a ceramic christmas tree up in my family room? I have excuses though. two. At first it had the heat lamp for the lizard wrapped around it. The lizard died though. Then the woman who made it died and I couldn't relegate it to the basement. Now I just keep it around to dust, after all it is near the snails and it it gives me a chance to look at them.

see what I mean about taking up space, Cindy?

MaryBeth...did you see your PCP?

The new cat is wonderful. She is a pound cat. Large. Long hair, black and white. A little milk mustache, a white vest and little white paws and is as sweet as can be. A real lap cat. Dh didn't like that she wanted to sleep on his face. She likes the snails too.

Baseball does indeed suck, Debkay...at least from my side of the fence. Tell Hazel I said "hello" and to take care of that foot. I am very proud of you for going out walking by yourself and congrats on the 11 pounds.

HEY Ruth!!!! :wave: Your hair was short when I met you and I liked it that way!!!

got to scoot and take mom to run errands....maybe we'll pick up some more food, eh Jiff? I definately will be working on her social skills. Yesterday she asked some girl how she could stand that ear-ring up her nose.

life is good.

peach

debkay
05-22-2003, 09:24 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: at the remark made by your Mom peachie to the girl with the "ring up her nose."

yes peachie........life is good!

snuggle the kitty for me

just spoke with Hazel and she should be along here in a second.

Haziefrog
05-22-2003, 11:04 AM
Hey I am here give me a min, because I am pissed I just typed a rather long post and it disappeared before I could post it. I will re-type it and post it in a min. DANG

Repairman's Wife
05-22-2003, 04:00 PM
JIFFY your going to be a STAR....how will we be able to stand you:)

jiffypop
05-22-2003, 11:29 PM
oh darlin... i'm a LONG LONG way from stardom! but it will be fun. the guy called for the phone interview today, and we talked for quite awhile. he's scheduling video sessions and i just have no idea what's really happening.

but i DO have a big mouth, and since my lungs have healed, i can do a WHOLE LOT MORE talking. just ask peachie!!!!!

debkay
05-23-2003, 07:03 AM
Jiff keep us posted, I hope it goes well. I think you are one interesting woman! Question for you......do you know of any post-ops over 60, or at least in their late 50's? A lady on my local email support group is looking for someone her age who has had the surgery.

The bike thing yesterday :rolleyes: I did make an attempt. I got onto it and back off in a matter of 45 seconds. I just couldn't make myself ride the boring thing. I HOPE to get a walk in this morning before we leave to go to Florida. Daughter is in school for half the day and we plan to leave when she gets home. It will put us in horrific traffic going south, but what can you do.

I hope you all have a great Memorial Day weekend. If your planning a bbq, hope the weather is good where you are.

jiffypop
05-23-2003, 12:01 PM
you're a sweetie, deb... and as a matter of fact, i do know of a couple of women in their late 50s and into their 60s who have had the surgery. one had it about 10 days ago, and feels miserable. sounds normal to me!!! another woman had it about 2 years ago, and is just about at her goal weight, in fact, she might be in the infomercial as well!

neither of them is internet-ing, though. so i'm not sure how we could set up a contact here.

ageoldie
05-24-2003, 10:55 PM
Deb, Ole Alvin is 56, but I don't want him hooking up with some old chick on the net.:s:

He's having some problems with his blood sugar here lately, and I had the nerve to suggest that he might be eating too many carbs!!!

losingsena
05-25-2003, 01:59 AM
HELLO GIRLS, IM NEW BEEN AROUND 3FATCHICKS FOR AWHILE BUT NEVER IN THIS PART OF THE WOODS. I ENJOY READING ABOUT YOUR SUCCESS WITH WLS. I SEEN A SURGEON ON THE 22NCD OF THIS MONTH AND HAD MY CONSULTATION WITH HIM, NOW WAITING ON INSURANCE APPROVAL. I AM GOING TO GROVEPORT OHIO, THATS RIGHT BY COLUMBUS. AT THE BARIATRIC HOSPITAL. I AM EXCITED BUT A LITTLE NERVOUSE TOO. I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY KIND OF SURGERY BEFORE. MY FRIEND HAD WLS 7 MONTHS AGO AND LOST AROUND 100 POUNDS. I CANT IMAGINE LOSING WEIGHT AFTER ALL THE YEARS OF TRYING AND NOTHING HAPPENS. OR WAISTING ALL YOUR LIFE THINKING ABOUT IT. IM TIRED OF THINKING OF MY BODY. I JUST WANT THIS SURGERY TO BE APPROVED, I WANT TO BE SUCCESSFULLLLL!!!!!!!AND IM READY. I AM 34 YEARS OLD I HAVE 2 BOYS, ONE 11 AND ONE 8. I CANT WAIT TO LOSE THIS WEIGHT AND BE MORE ACTIVE WITH THEM. IF I GET THIS DONE THIS YEAR, THEN NEXT SUMMER I AM CELEBRATING BIG TIME. SEASON PASSES TO THEIR FAVORITE AMUSEMENT PARK!!!! AND NEW BATHING SUIT FOR ME. WHHOO HOO. WELL WEITE MORE LATER. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WLS I WILL READ , THANKS SENA IN OHIO CURRENT WEIGHT 256 :mad:
GOAL WEIGHT 165 :smug:

~~~**a dream is only a dream until you wake up**~~~:df:

jiffypop
05-25-2003, 08:12 AM
sena... it's great to see you again. what was your visit with the surgeon like? what did he say? what do you have to do?

come on, start dishing!!

and ask questions. yep.. it's a little scary, but the most important thing is to limit - or not eat any - carbs [barb knows that better than ole alvin does, apparently!!!!] AND exercising [that awful word!]

and protein protein protein. water water water

ageoldie
05-25-2003, 08:47 PM
I went to the outlet center to spend my Christmas gift certificates that I was saving to have new clothes to come to your house. Anyway, I didn't want the certificates to go to waste, so I spent every penny of them.

What I rambled all that for, is to tell you I bought a pair of WHITE denim capris With RINESTONES around the legs!!! And I thought about you when I did it. (Now we'll see if I have nerve to wear them!)

losingsena
05-25-2003, 11:30 PM
first let me say..
AGEOLDIE.... WELL WHITE CAPRIS WITH RINESTONES YOU GO GIRL. AND GET OUT THERE AND WEAR THEM!!! YOU EARNED EVERY RINESTONE ON THOSE PANTS. YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE. LOL

JIFFY POP... well lets see, i got to the hospital and filled out a few papers about me, my insurance card was copied and my drivers license. after that, they put me in an office and a nurse asked me about 100 questions that i said yes or no too, like do you have sugar.. no heart attack strokes in your familey yes. how long have you been over 100 pounds over weight? do you excersize and the list goes on and on, after that my surguen came in and met me, and told me what the surgery was and how they do it there, why it works and what was exspected of me after words, like watching my diet the dumping syndrome, ect. he asked me about what diets ive tried like ALL OF THEM lol ... then he took my blood pressure weighed me, told me i was a candidate and what my bmi was, and that i should call them in 2 weeks to cgeck on my insurance approval. and now im waiting, lol if my insurance is approved i go back to the hospital for pre surgery testing. like an ekg and they look at your body and gall bladder and all that good stuff. thats about all. have you been to a surguan consulatation yet??? i thought you already had surgery...??? well im still siked and trying to staty positive, my scared shocked state wont come until im on the gurrnny going down the hall....lololol well see you all later. best of luck to you all... losing sena
:df: :df: :df: :df:

jiffypop
05-26-2003, 07:18 PM
sena... didn't he ask you to have a consultation with a psychologist? a dietician/nutritionist? these are really important. the psychologist because you need to understand that making this work is at least as much 'in your head' as it is in your new tummy.

and the dietician because you need to know how to eat afterwards, and why.

and what about support groups? no one i know of has ever made this REALLY work without a support group.

and yes, i've had the surgery, but i was wondering what your surgeon was like, and what they required for you. i want you to succeed at this, and to have a supportive surgeon with lots of resources for you to use.

jiffypop
05-26-2003, 07:20 PM
and barb... i LOVE rhinestones~!!!!! you GOTTA post a pic of you wearing them!!!!

debkay
05-26-2003, 07:47 PM
Hi everyone! Back from sunny, hot Florida. We had a great time. Mom and Dad are both doing well. Sister and her family, brother and his family......I saw them all except for my 16 year old niece......she was too busy to come see her Auntie :rolleyes:

Barb, enjoy your rhinestones! Wear them proudly.

sena take it from someone who DOES NOT have a supportive surgeon, a support group would be very helpful to you in your journey......I don't know what I would do without mine. I even met a great friend there....our own Hazel.

Just wanted to stop in and say hello

his_princess
05-27-2003, 06:19 AM
good morning all...
what a crappy long weekend for me.... was so tired and aching all the time. Sure did miss my water classes (think that is why I ached so bad) they were closed from friday till today. Not sure why I am so tired...except the fact I have sleep apena and am not on the machine yet. That is on my list to do.... call about machine !!

welcome to Sena, I too am going to Groveport for my surgery. I have Dr. Choban however. My husband is also having surgery there, after i get mine done. I live in NW Ohio and it's a 3 hour drive for me. I am very much looking forward to surgery. My hold up at this time is getting my sleep apena machine, and I have to be on it 6 weeks before surgery.

Ohh our very own Jiffy a STAR... lol....... i can say i knew u when... WELL... ya never know gal.... go for it.. (you might need to borrow those cpari's that ageoldie bought !!! I wanna pair too !!

deb, glad your back safe from your trip to florida, I am so ready for a trip to the beach!! We sure haven't had very great weather in Ohio. I am in need NEED of sunshine !!

Well, right now I feel better then I have since thursday night....maybe my body knows we are going to get into that warm water this morning !!!

Hope everyone has a great rest of the week !!!

Cindy