Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat Mar 18 - Mar 24

BillBlueEyes
03-18-2013, 06:41 AM
Just amazing - we saw the comet Pan-STARRS last night. OK, it's not actually spectacular; it requires binoculars (or scope) to see it. But it's just emotionally neat to see a comet. One place to learn how to see it is the EarthSky site (http://earthsky.org/space/comet-panstarrs-possibly-visible-to-eye-in-march-2013).

Despite all the crazy and difficult stuff going on in all our lives, it's good to know that the Universe keeps doing its thing.

Mudpie
03-18-2013, 06:54 AM
Just amazing - we saw the comet Pan-STARRS last night. OK, it's not actually spectacular; it requires binoculars (or scope) to see it. But it's just emotionally neat to see a comet. One place to learn how to see it is the EarthSky site (http://earthsky.org/space/comet-panstarrs-possibly-visible-to-eye-in-march-2013).

Despite all the crazy and difficult stuff going on in all our lives, it's good to know that the Universe keeps doing its thing.

Good Morning Bill. How neat about your seeing the comet! Yeah, our stuff looks kinda small compared on a Universal scale.

Dagmar :cool:

WardHog
03-18-2013, 08:01 AM
Good morning, guys. :-)

paperclippy
03-18-2013, 10:27 AM
Good morning folks! I feel like my weekend evaporated in a blur of sewing. :lol: On the upside, I'm done! My curtains and cushions are pretty amateurish but they'll get the job done. For the curious, I have a bunch of photos of me over the past couple months and of our in-progress nursery here (https://picasaweb.google.com/101641195020489153209/Expecting?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMGJ5qj1jKeLGg&feat=directlink). You can see my enormous belly (Saef, you were right, it does look like an easter egg), and a few mixed in pictures of Carter poking around and DH in the background. Also accomplished this weekend: assembling changing table, and buying a couple more maternity shirts since my belly is too big for the old ones.

Carter needs to have his nails trimmed again. Sigh. We did his front feet a week ago but didn't do his back feet. The back ones are easier on him and they need to be done because he stumbles more when they start growing too long. I was going to this weekend but was exhausted from everything else.

Interesting weight-related things I've been thinking about: I'm now up to 174, which is a gain of 36lbs. Doctors are happy with it so I'm trying not to worry about it -- if I can keep it to 50lbs I think I'll be in a good place, and they say the gain slows down at the end with twins. More to the point, I'm feeling like no wonder I'm so tired all the time, I'm lugging around a huge amount of extra weight. Then I wonder how I ever managed to live my life back when I weighed 185 and it was all just extra fat. I can't imagine what it would have been like to be fat *and* pregnant and I am so happy that I lost the weight.

bargoo
03-18-2013, 11:05 AM
Jessica, you certainly do look pregnant, but it is really becoming on you. I think your cushions look great. Glad everything is going along so well.

ChrisMohr
03-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Hi Maintainers,

In some ways maybe it's a mistake to compare myself with others but I'm still in my first year of maintenance. It started last June 1 when I weighed 214.2 pounds (at 6'3" overweight but not terribly so, since my BMI is at 25.0 somewhere around 206). I did a cleanse and some serious dieting. By July 1 I was 203.2, by August 1 I was 188.4, and by mid-August I was down in the low to mid 180s. I stayed in what I now consider my ideal weight range of between 180-185 most of the time until Thanksgiving, and by mid-Decembetr I managed to get back down in the 184's. The real climb began around CXhristmas, and in early January I was 191.0. I gained one pound by February 1, then had a bad February and early March, peaking at 197. I'm at 195 today --ten pounds above my goal range--and feeling pretty confident again that I am dropping this weight.

Sorry for all the detail, but that's a picture of how my first year of maintenance ever is shaping up. I had hoped I would top out at around 190 in the winter, so I'm not overwhelmed with my success at getting up to 197. But I'm also at least a little happy that I avoided a whole season of gluttony and addiction, and that I didn't regain all the weight as I have in every past attempt. For now I am having no sugar or chocolate (fruits OK) and generally watching calories. The warmer weather and outdoor exercise opportunities always make weight loss and maintenance easier from now till November.

How does this compare to a typical winter for some of you longer-term maintainers? The image I've often had of maintaining weight is like that of an jet on cruise control at 30,000 feet in clear skies, but so far my reality has been pretty choppy, with lots of falling down and getting back up again, disappointments and relief, etc. I still feel I let it go further than is safe for me, with more weight gain than is good for my long-term health. It's not the wild yo-yo-ing of past years, but it's not exactly even either. What kind of weight ranges and temporary failures do some of the rest of you go through and endure in a typical year?

ICUwishing
03-18-2013, 11:53 AM
:wave: to all!

Jessica, I'm looking forward to checking out your pics tonight! :)

Chris, I'm going to abstain, since more or less, it's been cruise control for me, with a few substantial patches of turbulence that resolved back into smooth sailing without much ado.

bill, I think comets are terribly cool. I read somewhere that we may have one in the next few years that will be visible during the day.

Had a good weekend - too much beer, but also more exercise than I've had for a very long time. I am starting to keep a food diary again, as I'm periodically getting into something that is upsetting my guts. I'm thinking it's in the grain side. Could be interesting!

alinnell
03-18-2013, 12:48 PM
Good morning from Moab!

Having a great time. Hiked to Delicate Arch yesterday and then went out for dinner last night where all the girls got me a cake for my 50th birthday. Then we went out to karaoke and dancing.

Shannon in ATL
03-18-2013, 12:51 PM
Morning all! I'm back at work today, though still feeling pretty under the weather. I don't know if I'll make it all day or not.

Happy birthday, Allison!

paperclippy
03-18-2013, 01:00 PM
Thanks Bargoo!

Chris, our replies will probably be skewed because weight loss and maintenance for men can be very different than it is for women, and it also varies by age. My maintenance range is 133-138 and during the course of a year I go all over the place in that range. I tend to be in the lower part during summer and the upper part during winter, and in a bad year I'll go over the top and have to restrict to get back down. However, I will tell you that it takes me a long time to lose 10lbs (and a decently long time to gain it as well), whereas my DH can gain or lose 10lbs in a week and often varies up to 25lbs over the course of a year. He's just over 6 feet and the whole time I've known him his weight has been between 180 and 220, usually in the 190-210 range which he maintains with little to no effort. Perhaps Bill can weigh in here, I know we're short on male maintainers to gather data from!

Allison, happy 50th! :hb:

Shannon, if you have the sick time and you're not feeling well, go home! Hope you feel better soon.

krampus
03-18-2013, 01:23 PM
TIRED TIRED TIRED today, BF's upstairs neighbors were being loud at 4 AM to the point where he went up there and told them to pipe down. I had a hard time falling back asleep and tossed and turned until wakeup alarm at 7:10. zzz

Happy 50th Allison! Karaoke and dancing is fun fun fun, what did you sing??

paperclippy - loved the photos, you look so happy in all of them!

Shannon - hang in there. My boss is out sick today.

Chris - I'm not a long term maintainer but I think summer is harder than winter for weight maintenance - too many BBQs and long daylight hours always = drinking more alcohol.

bargoo
03-18-2013, 01:58 PM
Hi, Chris. Maintainance for me has not always been a smooth road. I have fallen a few times but have managed to get back on track. Weather doesn't have too much effect on me although I do love a good hearty stew on a cold day and would love to have some hot biscuits with it. Most of the time I forego the biscuits. I find maintaining to be every bit as difficult as losing. For me maintaining is eternal. There are some rules I have set down for myself. I can have a piece of pie but I cannot have a whole pie in my house, I can have a piece of cake but I cannot have a whole cake in my house. I don't remember the last time I had a half gallon of ice cream in my house, heck, I haven't even had a quart of ice cream in my house. These things aren't so difficult when I think of what will happen if I stop watching what I eat. I would rather never eat a piece of pie ala mode the rest of my life than have to start wearing extra large clothing again.

traveling michele
03-18-2013, 04:33 PM
Hello all.....
still feeling overwhelmed but want to at least check in.

Maintenance for me has also been varied depending on the year. Some years have been easier than others, but I have definitely swung up and down no matter what. I like to maintain 118-120 but I haven't been there in almost a year so I'm not sure how realistic it is. I was 130 at the beginning of the year (my red line is 125) and I've been down to 123 for the past several days. However, I have a cruise coming up which can mean a huge gain for me so I'll have to be careful. Ideally, I'd be lower before the cruise to allow some wiggle room.

Happy birthday Allison!!

ChrisMohr
03-18-2013, 04:37 PM
Michele a few years ago I took a cruise and lost one pound. Check to see if they have a spa buffet, which Karen and I used for our daytime eats. Evenings we dined at the big restaurant most of the time of course. Often I manage to maintain my weight for the first 2/3 of the cruise then let myself go to **** for the last few days. Unfortunately, Usually I get on a cruise ship as a passenger and leave as heavy baggage tho!

traveling michele
03-18-2013, 05:54 PM
Michele a few years ago I took a cruise and lost one pound. Check to see if they have a spa buffet, which Karen and I used for our daytime eats. Evenings we dined at the big restaurant most of the time of course. Often I manage to maintain my weight for the first 2/3 of the cruise then let myself go to **** for the last few days. Unfortunately, Usually I get on a cruise ship as a passenger and leave as heavy baggage tho!

I always think I'm being fairly good-- we exercise on the cruise, do strenuous activities (ie. snorkeling), I eat mostly from the healthier options, but I always gain a ton. I know it is because I just eat MORE than I'm used to and allow myself some treats I wouldn't normally eat. The last cruise we went on I gained 7 pounds in 5 days. This is a 7 day cruise so I have reason to worry! Plus we will have one night in Houston after the cruise and we are planning on going out to a restaurant with friends there.....

Steph7409
03-18-2013, 08:59 PM
Jessica, thanks for sharing your pics. The girls' room looks lovely! And Carter looks like the kind of dog who will be a good companion for them.

Allison, happy birthday! It sounds like you're having a great time.

I weighed myself for the first time in a couple of weeks, figuring that my life sucks already so why not? I was surprised to see that I'm down a couple of pounds, although still much higher than I'd like. I had felt more in control of my eating last week so I'm glad the scale confirmed it.

My dad had another good day. He doesn't make sense half the time but he's there.

Just when I thought spring was near, a snowstorm. :mad:

traveling michele
03-19-2013, 12:36 AM
Jessica-- you look great!! How far along are you? I gained about 40 pounds with each of my girls-- which left me pushing 190 at the time. My goal was to not outweigh dh and I never did-- though he hovers around 190 now so I'd be pushing it!

Steph-- glad to hear your dad is doing better. My mom-in-law had a stroke almost exactly a year ago and she is doing very well. It takes a long time to see how much they will recover. Glad your weight was down too...

Mudpie
03-19-2013, 07:02 AM
Jessica You look great! And pregnancy is the one time for sure most women are allowed, even encouraged to be "fat" so enjoy it! You lost the weight before and can do so again.

Dagmar :coolsnow:

saef
03-19-2013, 09:11 AM
Jessica, my happiness over your health and thriving belly, and at checking in with Carter again (who looks happy and animated, and completely recovered), is dwarfed by my awe at your skills at sewing. You sew? Really? I can cook, but I can't sew. Understand that this is written by a woman who has a section of her closet devoted entirely to clothing that needs to be hemmed, or to have buttons moved, or mostly buttons sewn back on, and that is rapidly getting out of control. I need to devote half a day to button repair, but the hemming is beyond me and will require a visit from my mother.

Krampus, I hope you caught up on your sleep. After working on sleep last week, I found this is one good habit that's really hard to acquire, and I'm back to getting to bed later than I'd hoped this week, and I can see the difference in my mood.

Steph, unfortunately now I've had several experiences with strokes in the family, so I know that the reemergence of the person you know & love takes time -- but I do think these early signs of progress are a hopeful sign.

Me, I've had another one of those mornings where I woke up a little later than I should, sat there at the dining room table with my coffee and said, "Heck with it." Got on the laptop without going to the gym. Which isn't good, because it makes me uneasy all day at a looming, undone task, but it also lets me breathe outside of the sometimes constricting structures and routines that I've created in my life. I will be at the gym in the afternoon or evening, making up for it.

paperclippy
03-19-2013, 10:44 AM
Thanks guys for your kind comments! :grouphug:

Saef, LOL, I totally can barely even sew. I do own a cheap sewing machine though, and my mom taught me how to use one when I was a kid. The only way I manage to hem pants is by using transparent thread (looks like fishing line) so that you can't see my uneven stitching, and the only way I can fix buttons is because I have Martha Stewart's homekeeping handbook which has detailed instructions. (My repaired buttons usually fall off again after a few washes though.) I made the pillowcases and curtains with the help of YouTube. Funny story: I was on the phone with my mom after the first set of curtains and discovered that apparently I was supposed to wash the fabric before I started sewing. Oops! You learn something new every day.

Michele, I'm 25 weeks along. I'd also not like to outweigh DH who is around 195 at the moment! (Lucky for me he gained sympathy weight since I got pregnant or I'd be pushing it, he was 180 before.) My goal is to make it to 36 weeks, preferably 37. That gives me about three more months of weight gain and I'm already at 174, so I don't know where I'll end up.

Steph, glad to hear your dad is recovering. I will hope for the best for him. DH's grandma had a series of "mini-strokes" last year and has made a good recovery, although she does have to live in assisted living now. Thanks for your comment on Carter, I am hoping that he'll be good with the babies and accept them as part of his pack that he protects.

Speaking of Carter, he's getting to be an old man although he's in good health. I realized that our 5 year anniversary of adopting him is coming up next month, which means he's about 9 years old. (This also means it's been over 2 years since his back surgery!) He seems to be enjoying his retirement. :)

krampus
03-19-2013, 12:22 PM
Steph Good news that your dad has been having consecutive good days. I just looked out the window and said aloud "SH!T" - I didn't realize it had started snowing again. I work in Menands so thankfully my 787 travel time is pretty short.

Shannon in ATL
03-19-2013, 01:04 PM
Also gad to hear that your dad is having good days, Steph.

Jessica - you look fantastic. :)

Saef - sometimes we need to push against our rigid schedules I think.

I'm still tired and wan today, DH & my boss suspect I have the flu but I haven't had a fever so I think it is just a long, bad cold.

Mudpie
03-19-2013, 05:47 PM
OUCH! Tripped over my own boots and fell onto my bad knee and wrist on a set of stone steps. Darn stone is hard stuff! :lol: Too bad I didn't fall on to my *ss :p - that is getting more and more padded every week. I don't think I want to get on a scale until I've had a week at home to lose some of it.

Lucy (dogsit dog) is going to want to run around with me tonite (we play hide and seek and keep away through the living and dining rooms) and I'm gonna be pretty slow I think (my knee is already swelling). Winter sucks (steps were covered in ice).

Dagmar :tired:

Steph7409
03-19-2013, 07:40 PM
We stopped at a diner today to get my dad a hot dog and I accidentally ate a big piece of chocolate cream pie - so self-indulgent, so good. I shall be on the bike shortly and will try to burn off half the calories.

Another good day for Dad. He's still quite impaired cognitively but he makes sense more than half the time. The brain is so complex - he can remember the name of my mother's uncle (my parents divorced almost 40 years ago) but can't draw a clock face.

Dagmar, winter does indeed suck. This burst of snow today was just too irritating. The roads were a mess and now it's sleeting, so everything will be icy tomorrow. I hope your knee heals quickly!

And Shannon, I hope you feel better soon. I used to get those long drawn-out colds every winter. Miserable.

ChrisMohr
03-20-2013, 09:10 AM
Good luck Dagmar and Shannon getting over your knee and your cold!

And thanks to all who responded to my question about whether maintenance is easy or hard, and what kind of weight range is a "maintenance" weight. I got my answer: it depends on the person. For some of us it's easy, for others not so much. It's not easy for me and that's just the reality I must come to accept (working on that, I still wish it were otherwise!)

bargoo
03-20-2013, 10:07 AM
Good luck Dagmar and Shannon getting over your knee and your cold!

And thanks to all who responded to my question about whether maintenance is easy or hard, and what kind of weight range is a "maintenance" weight. I got my answer: it depends on the person. For some of us it's easy, for others not so much. It's not easy for me and that's just the reality I must come to accept (working on that, I still wish it were otherwise!)

Chris, I would like to meet the person who thinks maintaining is easy. I haven't found that to be true, in my case.

Mudpie
03-20-2013, 11:18 AM
Chris, I would like to meet the person who thinks maintaining is easy. I haven't found that to be true, in my case.

Me either. I've been at this for close to 5 years now (although technically I'm not a maintainter as I never got to goal weight for more than about 10 minutes once :lol:).

Dagmar :cool:

Shannon in ATL
03-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Chris - I had a brief shining moment where I thought maintenance was easy, I think it was when I was continuing to lose below my goal. LOL

Thanks for the good wishes on my cold. It seems to have lingered its way into an upper respiratory infection. Bah.

alinnell
03-21-2013, 07:41 PM
I'm home from my Moab weekend. And I'm sore! We hiked to Delicate Arch and Corona Arch (different days) and had a great time taking photos at each place. We did two days of yoga--the second being a celebration of us being 50, so we were to do 50 of the same pose--can't remember the exact pose name, BUT it included lunges, pushups, and standing stretches (something about a sun salutation?). That was two days ago and I'm super sore from it today and driving home from SLC didn't help.

SLC you ask? Well, my next door neighbor growing up came from Switzerland for the weekend and there was no one to take her back to SLC unless she left two days early, so I volunteered to leave one day early and drive her up. It was nice. I stayed with my Dad the night so we could visit and we went out to dinner with my Brother and SIL, so I'm not complaining, except the first two hours of driving were in the dark during rain! Yuck!

Shannon in ATL
03-21-2013, 10:50 PM
Sounds like a great trip, Allison! Five sun salutations wear me out, much less 50!

bargoo
03-22-2013, 10:20 AM
A challenging weekend coming up, 3 birthdays and a going away party. I see calories stretched as far as the eye can see.

Megan1982
03-22-2013, 10:35 AM
Hi all,

I've been busy as usual. More work stress and big boss being critical without being constructive about it, blah blah blah. My parents also came for a 5-day visit and I took a few days off work to enjoy their company. In big news, er, for us, our dogs could get along well enough that we could walk them together, so we went for lots of long walks on the beach and in the state park. My Emma is almost 3, and now has the maturity to understand that 12.5-year-old uncle Pal doesn't like other dogs and is not going to play with her! Rather than continually trying to convince him otherwise like she did as a puppy, she was content to lead our pack but stay out of his face.

Weekend plans include concerts with Nashville songwriters tonight & Saturday, an annual event BF and I look forward to every year. My choral group also has our spring concerts Saturday & Sunday afternoons. Along with more guitar nights I've really been enjoying getting back into music. In high school & college I spent a lot of my time in choral and a cappella groups.

And diet... well, diet is not great. Not bad, not great, but I need to be better. My pants are tight. In the last week I've been exercising more and it feels good. I WILL keep it up!

Jessica, looks like you've got the nursery all set up and ready for your new arrivals. It's nice to see pictures of you and Carter, too. You look great, and are gaining weight just where pregnant women are supposed to. Does he sense there is a big change coming?

Alison, wow, 50 sun salutations is impressive! How is your dad doing? Does he still have his younger "girlfriend"?

Chris, maintenance has never been easy for me. Different times of year bring different challenges, but there are always challenges. e.g. In the winter I crave heavier comfort foods, but in the summer I'm so wiped out from working in the sun I don't want to walk the dog or do additional exercise. Holidays in winter, more parties and social gatherings in the summer. etc. I can never let my guard down.

Steph, I'm glad your dad is holding his own and having some good days. :hug:

Hi to everyone else. :wave: I hope everyone has a good weekend!

alinnell
03-22-2013, 10:35 AM
Sounds like a great trip, Allison! Five sun salutations wear me out, much less 50!

It was difficult to say the least! After a while, some of the parts of the poses were not being performed correctly. While we were to work on our own, it was difficult glimpsing someone else in a different part of it, so then you kind of hurried it up a bit. All in all I enjoyed it and kind of want to continue so I'll start looking for classes. I did enjoy it more than Bikram yoga. (And if you're wondering how we managed to keep count, she had two bowls in front of us--one with 50 M&M's and one empty. After each pose, we moved and M&M from the first bowl to the second. While you don't have to use M&M's I did like the visual of seeing the full bowl slowly diminishing and it gave me the extra push to finish.)

traveling michele
03-22-2013, 10:44 AM
I was thinking you got to eat the M&M's! That would get me motivated!!

Megan-- sounds like you are busy but well. Glad to hear Emma has matured. Perhaps there's hope for just turned two Dewey yet.

Bargoo-- at least you won't have 24 hour buffets surrounding you like I will on my cruise!

I was so excited about my cruise and getting everything done that I got to work freakishly early. I'm usually one of the first to arrive but I got here way before everyone else. I'm trying to get my plans set up for the week I return from Spring Break.

I will probably be scarce to nonexistent after today while I'm on my cruise. I wish everyone well and may the scales be kind to all of us.

Pre-cruise weight this morning was 123. Hoping it isn't too much higher upon my return....

Shannon in ATL
03-22-2013, 11:40 AM
I am finally starting to feel normal - my throat is a little scratchy and I'm still having some allergy trouble, but I feel much better. I didn't get any sleep at all last night - I was wide awake at bed time, so spent a few hours balancing my checkbook and running my debt payoff info in my spreadsheet and Quicken through the end of 2014. That made me feel pretty good, as I have a solid payoff plan through the end of 2014. I got up with the boys at 5:30 and instead of going back to bed after they left I stayed up and started some potato soup in the crockpot and exercised before work. I'm feeling pretty accomplished. Let's see if it lasts all day. LOL

CherryPie99
03-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Hi everyone!

I've been reading every day but have been trying to keep my head above water and haven't had any time to reply to things.

2 times per year we have a huge celebration for everyone who has graduated from my Drug Court program over the last 6 months. One of those days was yesterday. There is a TREMENDOUS amount of work for me to do to plan and implement in addition to my normal duties, so I have been beyond SWAMPED. Now that the day is over - and it went so well - great group of graduates this time - I might have some time to breathe!

My weight, and with it my feeling of control, has been fantastic - until yesterday when we had FREE pizza and cake - and so, predictably, I stuffed myself silly....sigh....

I have to say that I feel so UNCULTURED next to all of you! I travel very little and, Michelle, the thought of just picking up and moving to CHINA - that made my blood run cold! I so admire your worldlieness.

Glad to hear everything is going well with the pregnancy, Jessica - you look great! The only weight I see is right in the belly which is how it is supposed to be, right!

Hope everyone else is doing well - Steph - how is your dad?

March does feel like it has been a sh!t month and the weather here is still sucking, so I for one cannot wait to flip the calendar to APRIL!

Jen

alinnell
03-22-2013, 01:13 PM
I was thinking you got to eat the M&M's! That would get me motivated!!

It was suggested, but I declined. But then they decided to take our photo--holding the M&M's, so I grabbed a few and did eat those--maybe 10 of them.

traveling michele
03-22-2013, 06:45 PM
Oh my.....
It looks like our China move may not be happening after all.
Dh just got back and said there is no way we can move there. He says there is nothing about the move that would work for our family and he is letting the company know we won't be accepting the offer.
I'm in shock and not sure what the ramifications are of his accepting and then declining, but it is better now than down the road.....

And I'm happy not to leave my current life....
Now to get ready for my cruise!

alinnell
03-22-2013, 06:50 PM
Michele~I am relieved for you! I agree it might work against him for accepting and then rejecting the offer, but I'd think he has enough seniority that it shouldn't affect his job--right?

bargoo
03-22-2013, 09:44 PM
Michele, I hate to tell you what would happen to my diet after such news.

traveling michele
03-23-2013, 12:17 AM
Michele, I hate to tell you what would happen to my diet after such news.

:dizzy::dizzy:

Allison-- The US team will be happy not to lose him. The China team won't be happy. He is actually proposing that he can do the project from here and travel back and forth OR help train someone to do it there. We'll see what ultimately happens but I don't think we'll be going.

Our flight leaves tonight at 12:20 (red eye). I usually can't sleep on planes but I'm hoping that I can crash. Way too much ups and downs for me when I like routine!

To top it off, dd (at University of Arizona) was on lockdown due to an armed gunman on campus. They were eventually evacuated and she is now off campus. The situation is still going on. This is one of the main reasons dh didn't want to go. How would we handle emergencies from the other side of the world? Dh's parents moved to Singapore when he was in college and he said he felt abandoned. He doesn't want to repeat what they did and damage our relationships with our daughters. I am so proud of him for truly thinking about our family and realizing this wasn't right for us.

Mudpie
03-23-2013, 06:42 AM
I am back home and can see :cool: what I'm typing - YAY! The laptop I take with me is good for the dogsits but it's very difficult to see the keyboard characters. I am not a good touch typist and have to look at the keyboard some of the time. I tried a couple of times to do drills for touch typing but other things got in the way. Since I'm not doing data entry for a living - :lol: - It's not crucial that I type at blazing speeds.

I will start my spring :flow2: diet plan today! I was going to make some sort of excuse and wait until the 1st of April but it's time NOW! Still cold here but the weather service has promised 5 consecutive sunny days, next Friday is a holiday, and the house closes the day before that so it's a good, :cloud9: happy time. I want my body to reflect my state of mind.

I had a jar of peanut butter, which I was putting on toast, at the dogsit . I stood in the kitchen there, with that jar in my hand, trying to decide whether to toss it or bring it home. I threw it out. :cheer2:

Off to stretch and do yoga. I got pretty tense most days at Lucy's (more on that later) and am looking forward to unkinking my muscles.

Great Saturday all!

Dagmar :yoga:

bargoo
03-23-2013, 10:03 AM
Dagmar, about typing. I took typing in highschool , hated it and dropped out. The next year I thought I really should learn to type, took it again, hated it and dropped out, again. Strangely enough, in my working world I had to do a lot of typing , including legal documents which must have no mistakes. I managed but was not a speed typist. I had to do a lot of proofing anytime I typed up loan papers. As time marched on many improvements were made in typewriters, when our office got IBM electric typewriters I though they were the greatest invention since the Wheel.

Megan1982
03-23-2013, 11:41 AM
I was required to take typing class daily in school during 5th & 6th grades. We had this program calling Typing Tutor (?) that had games that involved typing words faster and faster. I have had people comment to me how lucky I am that I learned to type "properly". I'm not lightning fast but I'm glad it's a skill I have!

Shorthand notes by hand, however, I'm terrible at. I try to be neat and end up writing too slowly.

Michele, wow, what a lot of ups and downs! Emotional rollercoasters like that really upset me. I'm glad DH has put a lot of thought into this and put your family first.

Last night we went to the first night of the songwriters performances. We got to sit at the VIP table thanks to BF's fishing clients. It was amazing! Such talented people. And now that I'm learning to play guitar I was paying much more attention to the playing, too. Tonight we go out to dinner and to the show with friends, and if Friday night was so good, I can't wait to see what Saturday night has in store.

bargoo
03-23-2013, 12:10 PM
:dizzy::dizzy:

To top it off, dd (at University of Arizona) was on lockdown due to an armed gunman on campus. They were eventually evacuated and she is now off campus. The situation is still going on. This is one of the main reasons dh didn't want to go. How would we handle emergencies from the other side of the world? Dh's parents moved to Singapore when he was in college and he said he felt abandoned. He doesn't want to repeat what they did and damage our relationships with our daughters. I am so proud of him for truly thinking about our family and realizing this wasn't right for us.

Michele. your DH must really be a wonderful man. Putting his family first, I wonder how many husbands would be willing to do that. I know that is the ideal way but doesn't always happen in many marriages.
And you are to be congratulated, too. I know there have been challenges for you, too and you are more than capable of handling them.

Mudpie
03-23-2013, 12:12 PM
bargoo You are up for the challenge of the weekend! :cheer:

Megan Have fun tonite - sounds great! :D

I lifted our fat cat on to the bed this morning so he could have a snuggle with us. He hasn't been doing that since we got the new bed as it's too high for him to jump up on. The little b*gger promptly PEED on the bed. WTF???

DH has very kindly offered to go to the laundromat and wash the large blanket. I will do the sheets in our new washer and dryer (which are quite lovely).

We are going to Costco this afternoon. DH has the idea that he will buy a membership and start getting stuff there to save money. I did some pricing while grocery shopping at our regular supermarket today and we'll see how things compare. DH really seems to be picking up his end of the housework/planning etc. It's only been 17 years coming but I'm glad he's on board now. :dance:

And finally I am making myself crazy with the house listings again. Must STOP!

Dagmar :crazy: