Old 03-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolia #43

Good afternoon ladies. This probably will be short as I am in a lot of pain today. We had to go to the commissary and I am still suffering the after effects from the biopsy. I have popped pills today to no effect and the heating pad isn't doing the trick either. I am just pretty miserable.

The commissary now has a rewards program! It is mostly digital coupons where you can go in before shopping to their website, pick the coupons of stuff you are going to buy then give them your card at checkout and they automatically come off you bill, but unfortunately, I only found a couple for next time, but something is better than nothing I guess. Prices have gone up for the most part just like everywhere else.

I have to call tomorrow and get Fortune a grooming appt at Petsmart. I am going to see if you they can do a better job. I know they will probably charge about twice as much for it. I need to buy him a harness collar since we are taking him with us in June to Indiana. He tends to pull on the leash and it can break a small dogs larnyx and kill them I guess if you use a regular collar.

Jean: You can't get regular fried chicken anywhere anymore, everything is chicken breast. Jack went out with work friends for lunch of Friday to someplace down called the "Blue Monkey Cafe." He said they had really good food, two sides, entree and drink for $10. He had chicken fried steak. Probably going to take Sonny time to get over what he considers your obvious betrayal! At least he has stuff now to protect his health even if he doesn't like you for it.

Well gals, you all have a nice rest of the day. I am going to go back to the heating pad and hope for the best. Might be a long night. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #2  

Good morning. It is cooler this morning and we are supposed to have thunderstorms on and off all day today. I am still not feeling well. I was hoping the bleeding and pain would be gone by now since the biopsy was Friday but it hasn't. If I am not feeling a whole lot better by tomorrow, I am calling her nurse and get a prescription for a stronger pain med as I can't stand this. It keeps me from sleeping and nothing helps with the pain that I have.

On the good side, weigh in and I am down another 3 lbs for the week. I just have to keep moving forward! Tonight I am making that taco pie recipe I saw on FB. I trimmed it down the best I could and it shouldn't be too bad on points. It covers all the bases, protein, carbs, veggies, dairy, etc. We shall see how Jack likes it. I ran it by him and he said to go ahead and try it.

I am going to get off here and call Petsmart and see if they have their scheduling up through the 29th and make an appt for Fortune to be groomed.

You gals have a nice start to the week. I may just veg in the chair today if I don't get to feeling better. Faye
Old 03-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #3  
Thin Within

Talking Marvelous Monday ~ Weigh Day

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS☺♫

A package from my brother was delivered yesterday which contained a hammered brass box full of my mother’s hand written on cards ~ dessert recipes. The box is 10½ inches long and 4 inches wide and 3½ inches deep with one inch feet. This beautiful box holds many 3 x 5 cards side by each full of yummy recipes that she has made throughout the years. Some of the recipes are dated way back in the years. I’ll run some of my favorites through my program so I can figure out the points+ of them ~ I don’t believe any of the recipes are of the light version. (My mother was not overweight.) I can lighten up my “favorites” I am sure. Some of the recipe cards bear the name of the person that gave the recipe to my mother. Some recipes are from ladies that I know and a few from one of my sisters. Now I am waiting for my large stainless pitcher to arrive.

A friend had her baby day before yesterday ~ a little girl named Aliya Janae. Where do they come up with these names these days ~ I am getting old. I have not even a clue how to pronounce it. Her 4 year old sister is named Zoey. That’s the parents business though and they are welcome to name their children as they wish and I’ll keep my yap shut ~ maybe. The mom is nurse and the father is a music teacher in the school system and wonderful folks. Later when Will went to the hospital for visit he did ask the Dad where they got the name and he was told it was a Russians name that was a gymnast in the Olympics. (But it is spelled different.)

I am up a pound this week ~ de javou for last week I showed an exact pound gain. I do know why I was up though but had to face the WW scale. I ate a meal out that was loaded with salt ~ so much that I could taste it and I am packing water for instead of my rings almost slipping off ~ I can even budge them. I’ll drink lots of water and watch what I eat closely this week and show a loss next week.

DONNA FAYE I am so sorry you are in such bodily distress. Sure makes it hard to get anything done or to concentrate. on another 3 pounds gone from your body. You go girl. It is fun trying out new recipes isn't it. You can usually tell if you are going to like it by the list of ingredients and maybe it will taste great and come out looking like the picture.

Have a wonderful eveing Magnolias ~

Last edited by Maggie; 03-18-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #4  

Good morning to you all. It is chilly this morning but the sun is shining so it is ok. My azaleas are blooming so spring is here! The trees are taking their time budding though.

I am still not feeling 100% but I guess I will just have to hang on a few more days and if not better then contact the doctors. I don't remember it lasting this long in times past, but who knows?

Tom and Kelly, Thomas and his best friend are all flying out Thursday evening to go to Boston for a video game convention. Kelly said she didn't know what possessed her when she agreed to do this and take another teen with them. We are going to take her and Thomas to the airport and they will meet Tom and T's friend as it was the only way they could get there in time I guess. I am sure they will have fun.

Well, the recipe was probably a 4 out of 10 pts. I think the potatoes were terrible, I would use some kind of crust instead. Jack liked the meat filling, but I am not a big fan of the powdered taco seasoning so it was not as yummy to me. I will probably make it again, but use either a pie crust or maybe crescent rolls instead of the potatoes. I have no clue how they ever cut the thing and got it out of the pie plate as we ended up just using a spoon as it wouldn't come out as a pie piece at all. Lesson learned. You never know if you don't try.

Maggie: Oh how wonderful! I am sure you love getting your mom's stuff. I have one handwritten recipe from my grandmother that was part of a letter she had written to me when we were in the Navy. I learned to cook on my own booboos and all. I didn't have anyone to show me to cook. I did have my grandmother show me how to make gravy and my mother-in-law showed me how to make a couple mexican things, but that's it.

Well, I need to get going and try and get some work done. Have a good day. Faye
Old 03-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Tuesday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS☺♫

It is a lovely day in the 50ºs here in the ♥-Land and I have three things on my “to do today” list that I will get started after I am ready to meet the day head on for I am still “waking up” with my cup of sf ff latte. Last night’s WW meeting was all about drinks and watching the amounts we consume. I showed a pound increase again this weigh in and am going to have to tighten down with the program this week. I do know I was packing water though from something I ate that even tasted like it had too much salt in it. I have lost some of that already for my rings are once again loose. Be back in a bit for Will is back and wants to go “out” to lunch . . . . Back now and had a good lunch for which I can count the points intelligently.

Will got me the neatest cook book called Cookin’ with Home Storage by Peggy Layton & Vicki Tate. It has some of the very old pioneer recipes in it which are very interesting to read and I will certainly try some of them. I have some “home storage” veggies from our last garden which we dried and now the “how to prepare” them are great ideas in this book. I love the chart they have in the book about reconstituting dried foods which tells the yield after you have started with a certain amount. For instance a cup of dried apple slices is reconstituted in 2 cups of water and yields 1½ cups of fruit. I have some dried apples and now will know what to expect. It is a very interesting book even from the historical aspect of it and how to use their old tried and true methods today. I had it spiral bound so it will now lay open flat. It is a fascinating cookbook, written for those people who look at the containers of food in their basement and say, “What do I do with all this stuff?” The Table of Contents includes Breads & Cereals; Soups & Sauces; “Pot Luck” Main Dishes; Dairy Products & Eggs; Fruit, Veggies, Salads, & Sprouts; Desserts & Confections; Grandma’s Home Remedies; Survival; Reconstituting & Substitutions. From the looks of it these gals covered everything by digging into the pioneer ladies notes from years gone past. I look at some of these recipes and picture when I observed my grandparents cooking these very recipes from their home storage of fruits and veggies. The book starts out with a historical overview beginning in the month of June of 1849 and how those pioneers settled and planted their gardens. I don’t know if I would have ever run across this book if Will hadn’t been working at the museum. The copy write of this edition is 1999 and put out by the Old Leaf Press. (I gave you that information just in case you want to get a copy.)

DONNA FAYE I am a self taught cook also. I never wanted to learn when I had a wonderful cook as my mother. After I got married I had to learn and it was so easy for me to read a recipe and know if we would like it or not and make changes to it if there was something I didn’t like about it. My brother dubbed me as a “gourmet” early on with the changes I learned to make recipes better. I have only ever cooked two things that we didn’t like and they had those clear noodles in them but I gave them a second chance. I was gifted with that knack of cooking and do realize everybody isn’t gifted with the same talents nor have the desire to improve in certain areas. I had some wonderful Mexican friends who showed me how to make all kinds of tamales one Christmas time and we had time of it. Mama would put the masa on the husks and we would spread the filling in and roll them up and tie the ends and steam some and freeze others In my younger days when I wanted to learn something I would plug myself into a college class that taught that very thing and learn it. I remember one fun class in welding I took when I wanted to learn how to make metal wind chimes. And another I took on photography and another on marketing and one on desk top publishing and the list goes on. This is the only place we have lived where a university is that I haven’t plugged myself into a class. Seems that now I buy a book on the subject that I want to learn something about and that works for me.

I am now off to start filling the list of things to do this day.

Last edited by Maggie; 03-19-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #6  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is shining, the wind is blowing, and it's a cold 21 degrees in my corner of the world this afternoon. Wish I could just type "ditto" on the weather report! I went to get my nails done this morning and then went vacuum shopping. I'm convinced my current vacuum spits as much dust back out as it takes in. We have a small Sears appliance store in town so stopped there. WM is the only other place in town so wouldn't even consider looking there. After lunch I dragged Bob back to Sears and now I have a new "animal" Dyson!

I baked my cake this morning and now need to clean up my baking dishes and clear off the counter. Tomorrow is "tea and cake" for the ladies which makes it pretty simple.

"Gma" -- I hope you are feeling much better today! on losing another 3#s! You are doing GREAT! I think more stores are starting the rewards programs trying to get people to buy in their businesses. We've had a credit card for several years that gives reward points. Sonny isn't himself at all today, and I am kind of worried about him. He has a "twitch" in his hind legs/rear end, and we noticed this summer that after sitting for a long time he would be quite stiff when he'd get up to walk. Bob wondered if maybe he had been hit by a car. I noticed yesterday that his hind legs would shake when he's get up to walk. Today he has just laid around and at noon went back to the basement. Bob watched him go and said he really took the stair steps slow and so cautious. I just went to check on him and he is on his chair, didn't hardly open his eyes for me.

Maggie -- What fun memories of your Mom, and how nice of your brother to send you the box. I am convinced that people just make up some of the "new" baby names! I know we have a LOT of strange names around here. You know what to do about that pesky pound. I hope you found your focus as I know you can and will. How many cook books do you have? I'm sure you have surmised that my cooking skills are VERY lacking!

I have bell practice in an hour or so, so need to get busy! Enjoy the rest of a wonderful Wednesday!

Last edited by Jean; 03-21-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #7  
Thin Within

Talking First Day Of Spring

Spring has sprung and the grass is rize ~ wonder where the daisies is. Yikes I remember that from my childhood when we would chant that on the first day of spring. It is coming like a lion in some parts of this USofA. It is currently 39ºs and did not get over the 40ºs this day here in the ♥-Land.

I am having so much fun reading my newest book. All the sauce recipes are interesting for they have them for any I can think of and easy to make at home. They are much healthier for me than the store bought kind to be sure. I can better control the sodium factor and leave out all the mystery items they include that they don’t have to list on the container because it is below the percent that is required of the items that are listed. I already mix up lot of my spices since I have had some recipes for them but am happy to get some more tried and true ones.

JEAN I’m sorry to hear that you little kitty is hurt. Sounds like a bit of nerve damage. Hope it heals and he can get rid of the shakes. Poor thing. I hope your new vacuum really works like they are supposed to and pick it up and keep it instead of spitting it out. I have lots of cookbooks but mostly program friendly ones like the WW ones and Cooking Light books mainly. I have clipped recipes from their magazines and have 15 binders that take 5½ x 8½ sized paper in them that are filled with recipes that are program friendly. I have them organized with the different catagories of foods like Main ~ Beef, Pork, Fish, Casseroles, Poultry & Pasta (3), Veggies (2), Sauces & Mixes (2), Sweets (3), Soup (1), Sandwich (1), Bread (1), Breakfast (1), and Camping (1). I have an index with page numbers of the recipe in each of the binders. I haven't added any pages to those books for a long time for the magazines are repeating a lot of the good recipes that I already have clipped.

See y'all later here ~ Have a great nights sleep.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:19 AM   #8  

Good morning to you all. Well so much for warm weather. It is in the low
30's this morning and by midmorning it should be in the 40's. They are predicting snow, sleet, and ice. Our temps aren't going to get down though until overnight, but most of the precipitation will be then. Poor Jack has to drive into work in the dark and out there are a lot of potholes and such from the semis and other trucks so it is really risky when the weather is bad.

I am still having issues and am trying to be patient and give it a full week before I call her. She may want me to up my meds 20 more milligrams to stop it, I don't know. I am just miserable right now.

We are taking Kelly and Thomas to the airport this afternoon so I hope the weather isn't too bad for them and they can get out of here before it does get bad. I am going to ask her to text me and let know they got to Boston ok.

Maggie: Glad you are enjoying reading your newest cookbook. I quit buying cookbooks because I don't have any place to put them and don't really use them much. Like I said earlier, we are going to get hit with some nasty weather tonight and it will probably kill my azaleas if it hasn't overnight already.

Jean: I hope you like your new vacuum. Kelly has a Dyson, but when they put in the laminate floors a couple years ago she bought a Roomba. I imagine it helps her out a lot working and all. Oh, I hope Sonny gets to feeling better. I noticed Fortune is having more trouble with his one leg going to sleep. He will hop around for a few seconds until the circulation comes back then walk fine. I hope Sonny doesn't have some kind of hip situation or something.

Well girls, I am going to get back in the recliner and nap for a bit. Fortune kept me up most of the night and between that and not feeling too grand anyway, I am going to try and go back to sleep. You all have a great day. Faye
Old 03-21-2013, 11:14 AM   #9  

Good morning, ladies! 40 degrees and overcast this day. They said we might see some snow flurries this morning but so far nothing.

Tonight is Ladies of the Evening and tomorrow is English Paper Piecing at Bella. Lots of fun. Last night was our applique bee at the library.

Faye, I'm sorry you are having problems again. You are a lot more patient with those doctors than I would be. I saw a sign at the Y yesterday for a knitting bee on Wednesday afternoons so next week I'm going to take my socks I'm working on and see what it's about.

Jean, poor Sonny had a bad time before he found his forever Mom. I hope he gets better soon.

Maggie, I put in subscriptions to Eating Well and Clean Eating magazines. I bought copies at Barnes and Noble first and liked what I saw. It's taking me longer to shop, but I'm really studying the lables of everything I buy. It's sad that even foods that say they are healthy aren't. It's no wonder so many people, now about 60% of Americans, are overweight. I just finished the chapter on chicken and that was an eye opener. Packages just marked chicken (whole or parts) are not just chicken or they would be tough and have no flavor from the processing and the way chickens are raised. They are injected with chicken flavor, soy and various chemicals so they are moist, juicy and taste like chicken. As long as the amounts of each are less than 1%, no need to put on the label. I'm opting for free range chicken from now on. We have a few farms around where I live that sell chicken and parts they have raised free range as well as buffalo, beef and pork. You can actually take a tour of their facilities. It's more expensive, but worth it to me.

Have a great day, my break time is over!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Talking Second Day of Spring

Since yesterday was the first day of Spring it was time to get some seeds started in our seed tray. We put mostly tomatos and bell pepper seeds in the tray and it is now on the shelf above the sink in front of the window in the kitchen with a cover over it. When the seeds sprout we can use the "grow light" which is above it to help them grow. They will be nice little plants to be set outside to toughen up then planted in the garden after it is all prepared to receive plants and seeds.

It is a chilly day & said not to get over the 40ºs and “they” say we will get snow tomorrow for it will be a colder day. I would much prefer rain but snow will do for the moisture is quite . I have not very much “work” to do today so I can read in my recently acquired books. Later I need to figure out what I will cook for dinner and get something out to thaw from its home in the freezer. Will is off early today to visit a friend in the hospital before he goes to his job at the museum. I am on page 149 in reading recipes in this "pioneer way" cookbook which is so interesting which has 306 pages. There are so many spice mixes, mixes like Bisquick® and sauces I can make and not buy which makes me very pleased for “homemade” doesn’t have all those “mystery” items and preservatives commercial products have in them. Those pioneer ladies had to do with what they had on hand for a place to buy “stuff” was way far away. They got creative with their cooking. I’ll use quite a number of the recipes but I won’t be butchering a hog and preparing it to last through the winter wrapped in burlap and buried in a cellar. But you name it, and there is probably a recipe for it in this book. I have another book I am working my way though and it is Miracles from the Vault: Anthology of Underground Cures by Jenny Thompson from the Health Sciences Institute which is a book packed with very interesting health information. I have a total four books I am working my way through these days and none are of the fiction category.

Our little waiter friend at I-Hop bought himself a car ~ black Firebird for his birthday yesterday ~ he turned 17 and this is the 5th car he has owned but the best. I thought all along he was 17 but he was 16 passing for 17. Plus instead of his “curly mop hair doo: he now has a nice haircut which makes him look much older than he is. The hair cut makes his helmet fit better for when he is riding his motor bike. That kid is a real go-getter and one of I-Hops best waiters. Makes straight A’s in high school and works Friday evening and Saturday and Sunday and is saving the bulk of his earnings and tips for college. I like that kid and wish him well in his endeavors.

SUSAN And when we read the lables what are all those items inside the product that they don't have to list because they are less than 1% ~ those items are the sneaky ones that I don't want in my system. Strange sounding chemicals for sure. We are looking for a source for range raised chckens around here and know where we can get buffalo burger meat. Those are two of the better magazines with helpful information in them.

DONNA FAYE I don't think I will ever quit buying cookbooks unless we no longer have the space for books ~ especially if they are like this latest one. It is my main most favorite one now. Hopefully you get to feeling better soon.

Have a wonderful day Magnolias ~
Old 03-21-2013, 11:07 PM   #11  

Talking

Good Evening! It has been a very long day and I am so glad it is over! Sonny was not any better this morning so I called the vet's office and talked to his assistant. We decided if I could get him in the carrier I would take him in. One of the gals in my craft club is married to a retired vet; she happened to call before coming and I was telling her about Sonny. She offered to help catch him! We had our club gab session, ate cake and drank tea, then everyone left except Jo. We went downstairs and Sonny was hiding behind the hot water heater. She picked him up without any problem, slid him into the carrier, and away we went. The vet said he had a high temperature meaning an infection and she thought sinus/head since his lungs are clear. So home we came with antibiotics and special critical care soft food. Tonight Bob and I had a meeting at church. There is a guy who thinks he knows it all and is a pain for everyone. He wants money to go to a certain project, never happy with any suggestions or the way things are run, and won't listen to anyone else. It went on way too long and I had a headache by the time we left! Sonny had come upstairs and was hiding under the couch, so I pulled him out, squirted his medicine in his mouth, hand fed him some soft food, and carried him downstairs for the night. I am more than ready for bed!

Maggie -- I can tell the new vacuum has more suction than my old one did. I'm not used to it so felt rather clumsy this morning using it. It sounds like you have your cookbooks and recipes well organized! I finally made notes on paper and stuck them in the appropriate cookbook if there were recipes I especially liked or didn't like as the case may be. Spring has sprung if you are planting seeds!

Susan -- You've had a full week of quilting for sure! I am hoping Sonny is on the mend. The vet did say that the infection could affect his legs so I'm hopeful. Since he came upstairs from the basement I took that as a good sign.

"Gma" -- I do hope you feel better soon! Tonight when I picked Sonny up he meowed like maybe his hind end hurt. The vet did say that since he's older, maybe 5ish, that neutering would be harder on his system. His surgery was a week ago today so I would think that would be healed or almost, by now.

I am heading for bed. Tomorrow I am hoping Sonny will eat on his own and I can squirt his medicine in his food. I have a haircut appointment and the rest of the day is mine! Have a fantastic Friday and enjoy!

Last edited by Jean; 03-21-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #12  

Good morning to you all! It is chilly and rainy today. Jack called and said looks like he is going to work late since they have had trouble all day long with one of their pumps. I told him we will make it a fast food night when he gets home since we don't know when he will finish up.

We got the kids off at the airport and she has been posting from the packeast convention. Thomas and his friend Walker both qualified for the minecraft tournament. They have about 80k people at this convention and only take 100 top qualifiers so I am sure they are excited. Sound like they are all having a great time this weekend.

I am just worn down to a nub at the moment. I need to catch up on rest again and I have still been having symptoms from the biopsy. It isn't anything serious, but uncomfortable. I don't really have a high pain threshold either.

Susan: Sounds like you have a fun weekend planned. Let us know how you enjoy the Y's knitting bee.

Maggie: I like to watch "The Pioneer Woman" on the cooking channel. She lives in Oklahoma on a cattle ranch. She makes some interesting sounding food.

Jean: I sure hope you can get Sonny feeling better. Poor guy is so used to sort of being on his own, he doesn't know how to react to a family yet. It was nice of your card club lady to help you get him in the carrier. I am still thinking about having my lady color my hair and put in streaks for the cruise, but it depends on whether or not I want to spend the money. I am sort of a penny pincher in some ways.

Well I hope everyone has a nice weekend. We are going to do rugs again if it is dry and I need to catch up on work in the house. Faye
Old 03-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #13  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friday

Oh now they say we are going to get snow tomorrow through the night to Sunday morning. We shall see because it can always change. It is currently 40ºs and not expected to get over the high 40ºs this day. MOS is what it is this week. I have come to the realization that I don’t have a double boiler and need one for some of my recipes and I have just been improvising. I would like to have a double boiler which it would make it much easier when I make a sauce that needs one. I used to have one and did use it enough to warrant having one but it is one item that I haven’t replaced as of yet but I will be ordering one from Chef’s Catalog® come the first of the new month since they call them a “seasonal” item around this town so none are to be found. I don’t have a clue why it is a seasonal thing for I used it all year around.

Something else I can’t find around here are Junket Rennet Tablets which are sold in “other towns” in the pudding section of the market. The tablets are also used in the making of cheese. Sometimes when we ask if a market has a product and they don’t know they just say “no” so Will is taking a picture of the package to show them. It can be ordered for us if they don’t carry it for the manager has been good about ordering things for us in the past. He just recently ordered a couple jars of freeze dried instant espresso coffee for me. We don’t drink instant coffee but it enhances the chocolate flavor in recipes and they don’t have enough call for it at the market to stock it which is understandable. Could be that is the case with the Junket Rennet Tablets. I’ll know soon enough when he gets back from the store. He just got back with two boxes of it for they did have the tablets after all and it sure helps to ask someone who “knows” & or what section they have it in. It had a little folder in the box with recipes of all kinds of cheese, custard, and ice cream in the box. I have never made cheese with it but have made some good program friendly ice cream. I am curious enough to see how some home-made cheese would taste. I remember my mother made some awesome Mozzarella. I noticed a recipe in the folder that is a Sugar Free Vanilla Custard that is a definite try. I can make any of the other recipes SF also.

Schwan’s® made its delivery this morning and I now have some low point goodies in the freezer. Little mini donuts for 1P+ each and I can just eat one. Mini cheeseburgers for 3 p+ and some other yummy goodies. I got Will some Cinnamon Rolls that are 8P+ which are good and much lower in points than the Pecan Caramel Rolls he has been getting for they are 13P+. I hope he will like these as a substitution. It is 5:08 PM as I type and I am not yet decided what to make for dinner. I had one taco for lunch and that has been it for the day except for my SF FF Latte but neither of us are yet hungry.

Looks like the post has been all about cooking in some form or another. But what better day to deal with all this is a non-hungry day I guess.

DONNA FAYE I am sorry you are still feeling under the weather. Hopefully all of this will pass soon. Sounds like those two boys are good kids and having a good time of it and your daughter is great to have taken them there. I imagine that lady on the ranch does have some good recipes ~ did she write a book?

SUSAN Will was at the bookstore today for a book he needed and found one for me. It was in the "used book bin" but one of those that appears to never have even been opened up if you get my drift. It is READ IT BEFORE YOU EAT IT by Bonnie Taub-Dix, MA, RD, CDN; a Plume Book; Published by the Penguin Group 2010. "It is how to decode food lables and make the healthiest choice every time." They also say it is the only book you'll need to teach you exactly what to put in your grocery cart. It is divided into two parts: Part One ~ The meaning behind the words on the lable . . . and why you should care; Part Two ~ Navigating the aisles, how to shop for the best foods. I just thought i would give you the "heads up" on it since we are both being more "whats in it" conscious. I think I will have this book spiral wire bound like I did the cook book for it will make it easier to read.

Have a lovely evening Magnolias

Last edited by Maggie; 03-22-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #14  

Good Evening, Flowers! It is snowing big lazy snowflakes but so far isn't lasting on the ground. There is NO wind for a nice change but still cold. I ran a couple errands this morning and have been lazy the rest of the day! I don't know what to think about Sonny; he did lick a little of his soft food out of a bowl tonight but not enough imo. I have fed him a few times by putting a little on my finger and sticking it in his mouth. He doesn't fight me and is taking his medicine so that is good. He also managed to move across the laundry room to hide behind a tote but his hind legs just don't seem to support him like they should. Ernie would sure like to finish off the soft food Sonny doesn't eat but I keep watch so he can't.

"Gma" -- It would be so fun if Thomas keeps winning! I hope you feel better soon -- this has gone on so long. When Beth and I were shopping together we browsed through a department store and I commented on a few things I really liked. I would end up by saying that I'm getting more like my mother every day in that I hesitate to buy something just because I like it and not really need it. That never used to be a problem for me!

Maggie -- I found it interesting that they consider a double boiler to be a seasonal item. Will does find you the best books in his travels.

I have a load of undies to fold and put away so guess I will go do that, then clean up the kitchen for the last time today. Hope you all have a nice weekend . . . we are supposed to get up to 6" of snow. I'm hoping the weatherman is wrong again!
Old 03-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Talking Simply Chilly To The Bone Saturday

It is a chilly day here in the ♥-Land and they keep saying we may get some light snow this afternoon. We shall see for it usually goes around us. It is currently chilly in here and about time for the heater to come back on. We don’t have any plans to do anything today but it is early yet. I pulled the sheets off the bed this morning when I got up so we can change them today and lots of stuffed animal toys went flying that were tucked in there about the foot of the bed. I got a good chuckle out of that. We leave the bed unmade on sheet washing day so it gets a breath of fresh air. AH the heater just came on….

I am going to tackle the job of re-arranging the items in our freezers. Somehow things get discombobulated in there when things are put in to freeze then I didn’t get back and put them in their proper section. It won’t take me long with the meat freezer but it is one of those things I need to get done this day. I date the items when I put them in there and want to make sure the oldest dates are to the front. Makes it easy to get a package out that way to thaw and not keep the door open too long while searching for an older date. I just might find some mysteries this day lurking in there. Pork hiding in with the beef or chicken or some such mystery for each shelf has its own type of meat on it supposedly. The other freezer holds packaged goods like from Schwans® and WW & treats and goodies and things in the fruit and vegetable or bread category ~ everything not in the packaged meat category. It is the freezer I really need to tackle today which will take a bit longer to get re-organized. That, my friends is what I have planned to do this day. I also need to tackle cleaning out the refrigerator. It really needs it also.

JEAN I sure hope that little Sonny gets his mobility back soon. Poor thing must be miserable not knowing why he is not functing properly. Oh yes Will finds me good reading material for sure for he is always on the look out for books for me when he visits his favorite book store.

Have a great day Magnolias