South Beach Diet - Any Spring Starters/Restarters?

View Full Version : Any Spring Starters/Restarters?

Xan
03-16-2013, 10:29 AM
Hi! I'm Xan. This is about my 7th try at South Beach. Like many of us, I have an extremely busy schedule -- a double job at school, then freelance work on the side. That's been my Waterloo. I have gotten out of the habit of cooking, and SB has been an adjustment. I haven't had big weight loss success because I've never stuck with it, but I have picked up some good habits and lost some bad ones.

There are several others who have signed in over the past few weeks -- Syckgirlsfv, urockmom, Mama2twins and jlight22; apologies if I've missed anyone. I've often noticed that we often have people sign in and say hello, and then disappear. I hope you will stick around. Let's help each other stay on track.

Xan
03-16-2013, 10:37 AM
As they say, starting tomorrow :)

This time I've planned to do something I haven't tried before. I've planned out a menu: all simple recipes I've done before, know I like and can do. I want to cook each day and freeze the leftovers. That way I'll have at least 20 dinners in the freezer (small freezer) so I should have no excuses for not having anything appropriate to eat!

I'm off to do grocery shopping.

CyndiM
03-16-2013, 10:52 AM
Does it count as restarting if I got totally off track and regained 25 lbs :eek: ? I am really struggling to get back to clean eating and regular exercise (and to fit into my warm weather clothes when I get them out of storage)

Xan
03-16-2013, 11:32 AM
Absolutely! You've made my day, Cyndi. We will be good luck for each other!

You've been so successful on SB, I'm sure you will be able to get back on track very easily. And I hope you'll post your menus, because I remember how interesting they were.

CyndiM
03-16-2013, 01:32 PM
Thanks Xan, for the welcome and the vote of confidence :) I'll try to remember to post menus. I've become one of those crazy facebook food posters, sharing all my new recipe finds :) I'm in a new recipe phase, haven't made the same thing twice in months.

Absolutely! You've made my day, Cyndi. We will be good luck for each other!

You've been so successful on SB, I'm sure you will be able to get back on track very easily. And I hope you'll post your menus, because I remember how interesting they were.

Xan
03-16-2013, 01:50 PM
You're a very good cook, Cyndi, so I'll bet you're having fun!

Re the menus, we have the On Plan thread, but not too many veterans post there, and when you all did, it was an excellent School By Example. (I learned about white beans and chard from you and cottage.)

Syckgirlsfv
03-16-2013, 03:53 PM
here I am! Thanks to Xan for starting this thread, I think it's just what we need!!! :D

I am starting officially (restart from being off for about 6 years, sadly) on Monday. I've got a corned beef brisket I'm cooking with cabbage, potatoes, and carrots tonight and a hot date with the hubs tomorrow for green beer and shots of Jameson, so Monday it is! :o

Long story short on me: lost 17 pounds in 2006 for my Vegas wedding to my hubby (drive thru wedding, so awesome but that's another thread!) by doing SBD. I got to that point where I didn't even want the bad stuff any more. I kept up phase 2 and then phase 3 for a year or so and stayed around 150 which is fine for me. Then slowly I started drinking liquor again instead of just wine, eating whatever, and now I weigh 164 at 5'8. Almost right back to where I started from. :mad:

Actually, a few months back I was up to a high of 174! I've lost 8 pounds counting calories but now it's stalled and it isn't enough...I know I've got to get back to the beach! I am really looking forward to everyone sharing there menus as well, because I work full time and I've gone back to school to get by BS in accounting. I just got my AA from Glendale Community College, and I'm taking Calculus for Business there currently while I wait for the fall quarter at Cal State L.A...I want to lose at least 15 pounds by the time I go to Vegas this summer for our 7th wedding anniversary on the 4th of July. We are staying at Aria, already got a strip view room all booked and ready...you know that in the summer Vegas is all about the pools during the day! :p

Also, do any of you know where I can get good yoga type exercise pants that will pull the chub in and not make my butt look so big??? TMI, I know, but I'm tired of the track pants I've been wearing the last 4 years...not too comfortable to do step and sculpt type stuff in!

Xan
03-16-2013, 06:35 PM
I'm glad you're in, Syckgirlsfv. I can't help with yoga, I'm afraid, but I'm sure others can.

You've got a very good start on your goal. Good luck!

mmaldonado22
03-16-2013, 06:59 PM
I WILL STICK WITH THIS!

Lets just hope that the scale shows some weight loss at the end of the week so i may be encouraged :)

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF US STARTING OR RE-STARTING!

I just started low cal healthy food diet 5 days ago, and started my first hardcoreish workout today :)

STICK WITH IT LADIES! WE CAN DO THIS! WE JUST NEED TO ENCOURAGE EACHOTHER. LETS ALSO SHARE THINGS WE ARE DOING, WHAT WE ARE EATING ETC. SO OTHERS CAN GET SOME POINTERS! (including myself)

Xan
03-16-2013, 07:47 PM
Hi mmaldonado, welcome! You might want to read one of the South Beach Diet books for guidance. The SBD is certainly healthy eating, but it's about eating healthily, eating certain foods, rather than just counting calories.

MinnieSkinnie
03-16-2013, 11:04 PM
Hi Xan! New member here! but SBD restarter.

I lost 30 pounds last spring on SBD - was really on my way. I got a promotion at work (YAY) but the position was long, stressful, sedentary hours!! I've gained some of it back and I am really motivated to start over.

Over the last few months I've tried Adkins induction and some other ketogenic plans that did nothing for me.

This plan works and you actually EAT.

So I'm restarting on Monday for two weeks of Phase 1 and I'm very jazzed :)

I do have one hiccup coming - I'm going to the UK for a week on April 1. I plan to have a special meal or two but most days stick to the plan. I may have to continue on Phase 1 for a while upon my return.

If anyone is wanting to start kicking this fat out the door starting on Monday, I'm ready to GOOOOO.:carrot:

harmonyBelle
03-16-2013, 11:18 PM
Restarter here. I'm on Day 7 of Phase 1 and so far, so good.

Eight years ago, I lost 11 lbs doing a clean Phase 1 and daily workouts on the elliptical. But I didn't transition to Phase 2 properly and between that and slacking off on the workouts and mounting stress from juggling work, family and school, I soon gained it all back plus 10 lbs more.

Fast forward to today: I initially considered doing WW again since fourteen years ago I lost 52 lbs (all since regained +) following the plan religiously. But I counted points for two years and I just couldn't bear the thought of doing it again. I remembered how much I enjoyed doing South Beach and thought that I ought to give it another chance, this time putting more effort into doing Phase 2 properly.

South Beach looks like a plan that is designed more realistically for maintenance. I mean, who really wants to count points for the rest of her life? amiright??

Besides, I have multiple food allergies/sensitivities, most of which coincide quite conveniently with the South Beach Avoid List - these include wheat, all other gluten-containing grains, processed corn products (cornmeal, corn syrup, corn starch), soy, potatoes, and yams.

To keep myself accountable I've been making an effort to post regularly in the On Plan thread. I missed posting the last couple of days but I stayed on plan and recorded my daily food choices in my journal.

Thanks for starting this thread, Xan. It's encouraging to see so many others stepping up and starting/restarting this journey.

honeylissabee
03-17-2013, 01:05 AM
I'm contemplating giving SB another go. I tried it about 4.5 years ago, and I failed miserably. I was so weak and tired- and I was afraid to eat. I had that "diet" mindset where if you are full, you're overeating. I was 17. I was young. I was stupid.

On day 2, I ate a fluffernutter and danced around my room.

I survived about a week on a paleo diet and lost 6.2 pounds. I would have gone longer if I wasn't put on cotton-candy duty at work. That shouldn't be an issue with SB though as I'm not working for that company any more. Of course, I DID have fruit with that, so I'm a little unsure about how I'll cope without fruit for 2 weeks.

I do know that I will be doing a slightly modified version of phase 1. I'm going to stick to the foods listed (with some minor adjustments- like eating dark meat and full-fat cheese), but I'm not following the guidelines for portions. I might have a 5 oz steak. So be it.

TwynnB
03-17-2013, 09:24 AM
Xan - me too! It looks like there's a lot of ladies in the boat with us. South Beach works so well, if you stick too it. And really, it's just healthy eating. It's so hard to resist all the goodies in today's society, but SBD does make it a lot easier, since the cravings are gone.

I will use the excuse that 2012 was a tough year...my dad died, and then slightly later my dog (turning 3) got sick and died 4 months later...and being her vet that was emotionally draining (freak, I'm tearing up just typing it!). Never mind other emotionally draining things. But, things are looking up, and I can take care of myself better now instead of the back burner like I have for a while.

I started last week, and it went *fairly* well. Thanks Xan for getting us together!

(I just realized my ticker is WAY off....denial....)

Xan
03-17-2013, 10:59 AM
Wow! We're getting quite a group! (I did start the thread, but I don't think of it as "my" thread, and I'm very happy we have some successful veterans here, because they'll be able to answer questions.)

Welcome, Minnie Skinnie -- starting tomorrow is fine. There are a lot of people who like to start Mondays. I've done that, too -- no weekend temptations, and you get five days under your belt.

Welcome, harmonybelle. I've tried WW lots :) As soon as I switch from low carb programs to WW I notice my shopping cart is loaded with carbs. If you have allergies, I would think SB would be a great program for you. If we feel better, we're more likely to keep eating healthily.

And welcome honeylissabee -- I think everyone tweaks the program. Others will correct me if I'm wrong, I hope, but I think the book says to start with a three-ounce portion and go back for more if needed.

And twynn, I'm so glad you're in -- although, looking at your ticker, I don't know why you're worried! :)

I'm starting today, and will post menus on the On Plan Thread, as several people on this thread do.

For those starting today -- GOOD LUCK!

Xan
03-17-2013, 11:01 AM
This is my official Phase 1/Day 1. I also changed my ticker -- I've been back and forth about this for ages. Partly I want to start with the high weight (40 pounds more than now) to show how far I've come, but then I'm horribly embarrassed about it, AND at the same time, rely on it ("Well, I've already lost 40 pounds.) This is a restart, so I'm starting now. It is, I'm sad to say, about the same as I weighed when I first came here. I also changed the goal to be one pound under "not obese," which is what will please my doctor. I may adjust that as I get closer.

(note: Read the next two posts that explain why what I wrote above is irrelevant.)

I've planned the week and laid in supplies. I did forget to buy hummus for snacks, but have a lot of string cheese.

TwynnB
03-17-2013, 01:41 PM
Wow, Xan...you should have down that you've lost 40! I think that's awesome, and think of where you were 40 lbs ago.

I know with my ticker... I'm grateful to have a small amount to lose (it's closer to 10), but it is a constant battle to keep it off, the emotion of it, and let me tell you how it all shows up as saddle bags on my petite body! I have to check in here daily to remind me to eat healthy, to let me feel healthy.

Xan
03-17-2013, 02:56 PM
Okay. I'm easy. :) Thank you, Twynn. I think for people your height, it must be terribly difficult to maintain, because just a few pounds show. So good for you for stepping in before it's a problem, and working out a way you can maintain.

MinnieSkinnie
03-17-2013, 02:57 PM
Welcome, Minnie Skinnie -- starting tomorrow is fine. There are a lot of people who like to start Mondays. I've done that, too -- no weekend temptations, and you get five days under your belt.

Thanks Xan :) A Monday start is more due to needing a grocery shopping trip - I'm depleted of anything closely resembling Phase 1 right now :o

Heading out to do that now!

Then this afternoon I will cook off a bunch of chicken breast for the week. Makes for easy lunches! I bake or grill some after adding seasoning (italian seasoning, or lemon zest and thyme, or cumin and chili power or curry... sometimes I do a couple of of each lol) and cube them up in 4-6 ounce portions.

I can toss them in a salad, heat them up to eat with veggies or eat as a cold snack with an ounce of cheese or a pickle.

I also boil a dozen eggs so i have a quick handy breakfast or snack when i'm rushed. I usually toss out part of the yolk and add a bit of mustard and pop it in my mouth for "instant deviled egg" hehe

Wow, didn't meant to ramble! haha Just a few tricks to get me through a busy work week. I ALWAYS need have something ready that I'm able to eat so I won't give in to what the office might be ordering or family might be eating that's not on plan.

:D

Lisi
03-18-2013, 01:49 AM
Hi Everybody, I'm coming back too.

VermontMom
03-18-2013, 08:58 AM
Hello Xan :) The regular SB ladies know me and I'm always apologetic because I'm a SB'er in my mind though I fall off the wagon constantly and then beat myself up :rolleyes: but do keep pluggin along as best I can. I do post in the SB Exercise thread to maintain just a little cred here :devil:

Xan
03-18-2013, 10:40 AM
I'm so glad more people are coming back! Holly, I remember you -- I love your "Cupcake" name.

My first day back was very hard, and that's unusual for me. Usually the first day is a breeze, and I spend most of it kicking myself for not doing this every day, and then the second or third day I would do anything for chocolate, but yesterday I didn't have cravings, but I did have a horrible, horrible headache and was starving an hour after lunch. I got through it, and hope today will be better!

I also had bad luck with cooking. I got a phone call about 15 minutes before the chicken was roasted, and it went on for a half-hour after the bird was done. It was business, so I couldn't rescue the chicken. Sigh.

Hope everyone has a good day! Oh! I was rewarded with a 2-pound loss this morning. I'm down to 270. All water, of course.

MinnieSkinnie
03-18-2013, 11:29 AM
Ok I have Phase 1 foods, I have ambition and I am ready to go! :carrot:

ohh but life is hilarious! Day 1:

Wake to SNOW, realize my puppy chewed up my expensive dental retainer, and to top it off my car won't start. :dizzy:

Waiting for a ride to work has afforded me some time to eat a proper breakfast but i've burnt my eggs twice now. 3rd time is a charm?

I also have a broken toe, and a toothache.

but i'm still On Plan!! :dance:

life, i refuse to give into your emotional triggers.

Xan
03-18-2013, 01:09 PM
MinnieSkinnie, what a terrible morning! I hope the rest of the day is better, and I hope your sense of humor got you through the problems. It's true, though. If we took a poll asking how many of us let life derail us, I'd bet it would be at 99%. (Derail, meaning, Burnt the dinner, let's eat pie.)

Syckgirlsfv
03-18-2013, 01:59 PM
alright, Monday here I come! I've taken today and tomorrow off of work, so that should make it a little easier since there is always something bad foodwise at the office! I haven't eaten just yet - I'm going to do eggs of some sort, of course!

yesterday we had what could be considered too many shots of Jameson, and a few green beers - now that I've gotten that out of my system I really don't think I'll have trouble staying away from alcohol. that's not usually the problem anyway. But I love my wine :( especially after school since it's so hard to get to sleep after class at night. I can handle it, though. I need to freshen up on the phase 1 food list...I gave my book to my daughter last year hoping she'd use it but she didn't, and she still has it! Luckily it's easy to find the foods on this site. ;) Good luck all!!!

gutbegone
03-18-2013, 07:50 PM
This is my first day of phase 1 too!! Off to a decent start after being on a sugar binge all weekend. I am looking forward to detoxing! I hope to check in with you all frequently.

MinnieSkinnie
03-18-2013, 09:34 PM
This is my first day of phase 1 too!! Off to a decent start after being on a sugar binge all weekend. I am looking forward to detoxing! I hope to check in with you all frequently.

yay gutbegone, same start date - we can keep an eye on each other :D

MinnieSkinnie, what a terrible morning! I hope the rest of the day is better, and I hope your sense of humor got you through the problems. It's true, though. If we took a poll asking how many of us let life derail us, I'd bet it would be at 99%. (Derail, meaning, Burnt the dinner, let's eat pie.)

You're so right Xan i did feel a little sorry for myself today but I did stay on track so I'm happy. I do try to keep smiling!

:)

Foodismydrug
03-18-2013, 11:30 PM
Hi. I am new to the forums and just finished phase 1 with a couple cheats. I think I need to go back and do a more severely restrictive phase one with little or no sweets. I am over bread and pasta, but I still crave sugar constantly. This is my first time on SB.

Just Dance Girl
03-19-2013, 12:46 AM
Hi, I'd like to join you, too! I did SB 7 years ago living overseas. I kept it off for 3 years, then gained it back when we moved back to the states. So now I want to get back to my "normal" weight again. We're living overseas again so it's easier. We don't own a car so we walk everywhere and there aren't a lot of processes foods here so most things are homemade.

Minnie Skinnie, I like your ideas for having cooked chicken and eggs in the fridge! Often I make a big pot of soup to eat all week. It helps when you come home late all tired and hungry!

jekel383
03-19-2013, 06:12 AM
Miniskinny I too have my own pity party days. This week has been exhausting throw a snow storm in the mix and well I feel spent. Last night I was enjoying my veggies and hummus watching Biggest Loser when my woe is me alter ego kept telling me chocolate makes everything better. Maybe it was Biggest Loser or the fact that I was so tired, but for once the new me won. I decided sleep was the better option. Maintaining, I try to celebrate these little milestones.success is not measured by the number on the scale :)

Xan
03-19-2013, 12:04 PM
We're really getting a good group! Welcome, gutbegone, foodismydrug and Just Dance Girl.

Yesterday (my second day) was better than the first, but I did cave at 9 p.m. (huge spoonful of peanut butter). I always feel so much better when I don't eat bread, I kick myself for not sticking with SB more steadily. It's just that sandwiches are so easy! Yesterday I made, and ate, the largest salad I've had in a good long while -- thank goodness for bagged salads!

I hope everyone has a successful day!

Syckgirlsfv
03-19-2013, 01:36 PM
I had good success yesterday! Partially because I was so involved in my calculus homework (which by the way was SUPER frustrating ;() and I didn't get to eat much. I actually feel like I didn't eat enough, but I felt fine. I made a two egg omelet for breakfast with spinach and mozzarella and green salsa. It was so good! By the time I gave up on the calculus, 4 hours later, it was dinner time. I made turkey burger patties (hubby's on bread), pinto beans with mozzarella and salsa, and green beans with lots of herbs and a little I can't believe it's not butter. All turned out very good, and that was it. Any water weight from the St. Paddy's day boozin' (I was weighing 4 pounds heavier) is already gone! I am back to 164 which is a good start point. I'm feeling good so far! Now if only calculus would quit being such a *****!

today I'm making pressure cooker pinto beans - a big pot of them. I soaked them over night and it will only take 50 minutes in the pressure cooker. I'll have to stock up on hearts of romaine for salads since I go back to work tomorrow and also eggs and /or egg sub. I'll probably boil a bunch of eggs, too. I find it so much easier to stay on plan if properly prepared.

gutbegone
03-19-2013, 05:36 PM
I had a good night - stayed OP and went to spin class. 22.6 miles last night - my best so far!! I think I am going to try a body pump class on Thursday.

I need to get some food cooked up for the week - it's so hard when I am not prepared. I did not plan anything for dinner so I will have to thaw some chicken out when I get home. I did take a roast out the other night and I plan on putting that in the crockpot with some celery tonight so it can cook while we sleep.

Still feel bloated - chugging water hoping that feeling goes away soon!

CyndiM
03-19-2013, 08:54 PM
Well I'm still not the poster child for getting back on track. Yesterday and today were better but I've had a couple of bouts of emotional eating. Progress counts, guess I'll give myself some credit for that.

Xan
03-19-2013, 09:07 PM
Cyndi, I think progress is the most important thing. I can't count how many times I've stopped a program because I wasn't "perfect". I've finally come to believe it's a process. If we stick to it as best we can, it will get easier AND it's better to have a pretty good, if imperfect day, than a, "Darn it! I ate 6 grapes and blew it. Let's order pizza," or whatever day. It will get easier.

Foodismydrug
03-19-2013, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the welcome :). I had a good day but topped it off with two glasses of wine. Still is better than the M&Ms that were supposed to be for Easter baskets!

Just Dance Girl
03-20-2013, 01:00 AM
Xan, I agree. Progress is more important than perfection, especially at the beginning. It's so easy to give up after one mistake. I'm 12 hours ahead of you guys, so yesterday I had eggs, chef salad for dinner and (my mistake) a yogurt with nuts and oatmeal. But my snack was bell peppers, so that's good, right?

Today will be hard cause we have no food in the house. Need to shop after work! Maybe I'll start soup in the crockpot for dinner. Then at least we'll have something!

TwynnB
03-20-2013, 08:07 AM
I've been doing fairly well, had some dark chocolate, but that's okay in moderation (um, and I was stuck at work getting shaky....). I am so glad I make those breakfast casseroles and soups for the week. I'm trying to figure out already what salads to make when the weather gets better. Did you ever have the weekend glow salad, Cyndi? (of course, that didn't fill me up long enough, if I remember...)

CyndiM
03-20-2013, 09:51 AM
Did you ever have the weekend glow salad, Cyndi? (of course, that didn't fill me up long enough, if I remember...)

I think I made several variations, probably without the fruit. I think I usually had some kind of protein with it, maybe a veggie burger. Salads make me think of warmer weather, can't wait!

marymo
03-20-2013, 09:54 AM
here I am! Thanks to Xan for starting this thread, I think it's just what we need!!! :D

I am starting officially (restart from being off for about 6 years, sadly) on Monday. I've got a corned beef brisket I'm cooking with cabbage, potatoes, and carrots tonight and a hot date with the hubs tomorrow for green beer and shots of Jameson, so Monday it is! :o

Long story short on me: lost 17 pounds in 2006 for my Vegas wedding to my hubby (drive thru wedding, so awesome but that's another thread!) by doing SBD. I got to that point where I didn't even want the bad stuff any more. I kept up phase 2 and then phase 3 for a year or so and stayed around 150 which is fine for me. Then slowly I started drinking liquor again instead of just wine, eating whatever, and now I weigh 164 at 5'8. Almost right back to where I started from. :mad:

Actually, a few months back I was up to a high of 174! I've lost 8 pounds counting calories but now it's stalled and it isn't enough...I know I've got to get back to the beach! I am really looking forward to everyone sharing there menus as well, because I work full time and I've gone back to school to get by BS in accounting. I just got my AA from Glendale Community College, and I'm taking Calculus for Business there currently while I wait for the fall quarter at Cal State L.A...I want to lose at least 15 pounds by the time I go to Vegas this summer for our 7th wedding anniversary on the 4th of July. We are staying at Aria, already got a strip view room all booked and ready...you know that in the summer Vegas is all about the pools during the day! :p

Also, do any of you know where I can get good yoga type exercise pants that will pull the chub in and not make my butt look so big??? TMI, I know, but I'm tired of the track pants I've been wearing the last 4 years...not too comfortable to do step and sculpt type stuff in!

Good Luck with your goal...and Vegas is fantastic!! Lots of walking there so thats a plus while your out there :) We went and walked and walked didnt do much snacking which was awesome (no time)
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wYCBpud/weight.png
(http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wYCBpud/)

Syckgirlsfv
03-20-2013, 12:35 PM
morning everyone! Happy to report the scale has finally moved on just day 3 of SBD! Actually it moved last night. 163 :D I'm feeling pretty good, not hungry at all. I've been making spinach and mozzarella omelets with green salsa for breakfast and it holds me a while. I'd love to do some breakfast casseroles, so if any of you have a good one or can point me to a good recipe on here i would appreciate it a lot! :carrot:

I made a huge amount of pinto beans in my pressure cooker yesterday, so I'm armed with legumes to keep me full if need be :dizzy:

have a great day all of you :wave:

Syckgirlsfv
03-20-2013, 12:37 PM
Good Luck with your goal...and Vegas is fantastic!! Lots of walking there so thats a plus while your out there :) We went and walked and walked didnt do much snacking which was awesome (no time)
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wYCBpud/weight.png
(http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wYCBpud/)

exactly! the best part of the strip is spending the day (or night, when it's hot :D) walking the strip! So much to see and do...

good luck to you too!

yinyang
03-20-2013, 07:45 PM
I am getting ready to restart SBD after my vacation. I will be back about April 1 and I am getting my mind ready. This is a great group of ladies with a common goal. I will join you the first of the month.

I always do better with this type of plan that I wonder why I stray. I did try a go again on WW (why oh why when it never works out well for me.) I can't wait for a smaller waist and my rings not to feel so tight with water weight.

I will keep reading your posts and get excited to begin again.

Hannah

Just Dance Girl
03-21-2013, 01:10 AM
Good morning! Yesterday was busy, so no time for snacking, yay! Eggs for breakfast, leftover pot roast for lunch, sloppy joe salad for dinner.

Does anyone else have a hard time not snacking at night? After a long day, I just want to "reward" myself with popcorn or chocolate. I'm trying to switch to bell peppers, but it's hard....

Today:
B: Left over sloppy joe meat (we're out of eggs)
L: chicken and vegetable soup
S: nuts
D: don't know yet

TwynnB
03-21-2013, 07:55 AM
Does anyone else have a hard time not snacking at night? After a long day, I just want to "reward" myself with popcorn or chocolate. I'm trying to switch to bell peppers, but it's hard....

Hardest. thing. EVAH.

Xan
03-21-2013, 03:05 PM
Re pm snacking, the best I ever managed was 1) sugar free jello and Reddi-wip (very SB,no? :) ) or once, when I was on Protein Power, 2 or 3 bran crisps (very high fiber, very low in carbs) with cheese, which was quite satisfying.

I am definitely finding that on the nights when I've had 8 hours sleep the night before, eating properly, without cravings, either for sweets/breads or late night snacks, is 50 times easier than on the 5 hour nights. I've had two 5 hour nights in a row. AND I've burned everything I've tried to cook! I realize I've been writing for years, "I used to be a good cook," and I really was. Friends used to like to come to my house for dinner, and hint for invitations. After I retire....after I retire....

See you in April, yinyang, and good luck everyone.

Xan
03-21-2013, 03:05 PM
Oh, I forgot! I lost another pound! Lots of walking, just up and down and around the apartment and the neighborhood, but still, I've been a bit more active than usual.

wholefoods4me
03-21-2013, 04:07 PM
Hi everyone!
I would love to join this thread...hoping it will keep me accountable!
I was on South Beach about 10 years ago, losing 25 lbs. Then I started Optifast. Lost 120 lbs. on that, and have put back on (after 3 years or so) around 50 lbs. :(
It's time to get back on the stick!!!
I don't want to get as low as I was (everyone thought I looked sickly), but I would love to lose about 40 lbs. And I KNOW that South Beach is a very healthy way to lose those 40!!! I feel better anytime I am even CLOSE to eating the beachy way.
I am a total sugar FREAK, and I know that my body gets no nutrients from this....only excess calories and fat, and more cravings for more of this white poison. It's a vicious circle, isn't it? :dizzy:
I'm amending the phase 1 a bit, only in that I would like to incorporate some of my Optifast shakes into the day. I still have quite a few, and they are very balanced in nutrients, so I think they will make good snacks and breakfasts. Eventually I plan to stop them altogether. I'm just not sure of my timetable.
Thanks for starting this thread. I've been lurking for awhile, and wasn't sure where I should jump in, and also wanted to find a thread that was current and active. You'll be hearing from me regularly!! I'm SO GLAD I found you!!!!! :hug::carrot:

Syckgirlsfv
03-21-2013, 04:18 PM
wholefoods4me :welcome:

I just restarted Monday, and it's going pretty good. Gets easier with time! I do need to shop, though...

Just Dance Girl
03-23-2013, 12:36 AM
Hi everyone,

I hope things are going well!

Yesterday was good, avoided the bread plate at lunch and the offer of cookies at an afternoon meeting, yay. I was tired, though, and did a slow tae-Bo. Does anyone else do tae-Bo?

We're making hummus later today because you can't buy it here. I soaked and cooked the chick peas and am ready to whirl them. I'm so excited, I bought a ton of dipping vegetables.

What was your day like?

TwynnB
03-23-2013, 08:40 AM
Oooh, Justdancegirl, let me know if you have good recipes. I love the Pine nut hummus, and keep thinking of making my own.

I did great and resisted the brownie sundaes at my DS's birthday gathering, which is my absolute favorite dessert, but failed at avoiding cheese balls :D. However, that's my one bad slip for a couple of weeks, and I'm back on board today. It's okay to be human sometimes!!

Syckgirlsfv
03-23-2013, 03:23 PM
Happy to report another pound down! 161.5 today...did a turbo sculpt step class last night (I do this every Friday night) and have remained on plan since I started Monday. Hubby was drinking Dewar's Scotch last night and I drank NOTHING...things are looking good for me!

Xan
03-24-2013, 04:24 PM
Twynn, that doesn't sound like too big a slip!
Syckgirlsfv, congrats on the pound!

I hope everyone has had a good week. I've had a very cold week. I'm off school, and my apartment has been severely underheated. It's better today, though.

I've lost 3 pounds this week, and will start the very unofficial Phase 1.5 next week (I've completed Phase 1 before several times). I'm going to add fruit, mostly melon.)

I definitely plan to be on plan this coming week, but may not have time to post, as school is starting again. My menu plan for the week is:

Breakfast: a breakfast casserole (from Kalyn's Kitchen; eggs, lf milk, mushrooms, spring onions, and cheese) that should last me for the week.

Lunch: chicken, either in a salad or sliced, over lettuce

Snack: hummus and dipping vegetables

Dinner: 2 dinners salmon patties from Whole Foods and vegetables
2 - steak with vegetables
3 - sausage (lf Italian sweet) in a stir fry with vegetables

It SOUNDS simple!

wholefoods4me
03-24-2013, 06:19 PM
Alas, did not start fully on phase 1 yet. Got sidetracked by a birthday party yesterday. I amazingly lost 1 lb., but I don't honestly know how that happened!!! LOL!
I plan to start fully tomorrow morning...hopefully the start weight won't be too bad!
Onward to at least 2 weeks of phase 1, and hopefully a good bit of weight (water or not!) lost by the end of the phase!!
Wish me luck everyone, and I will be checking in to let you know how it's going!
:)

Xan
03-24-2013, 08:32 PM
Best of luckl, wholefoods, and do check in if you have time. You don't have to be perfect, just tied to the plan :)

wholefoods4me
03-24-2013, 10:31 PM
Thanks, Xan!
I will definitely be checking in often.....it will keep me on track!
I'm still going to weight loss classes every week at the Optifast center (I'm now a "lifetime member"), which helps keep weight loss at the front of my mind. The classes are conducted by a nutritionist, and emphasize healthy eating and portion control:)
I spoke to the nutritionist about the South Beach plan, and she agreed that it was very healthy. Nutitionists are always a little leery of Phase 1, but so be it. It works!!:dancer:
There is someone else in our class who has lost a lot of weight on South Beach, and is continuing to eat beachy with only a shake in the morning for breakfast. So I will have a kindred spirit in the class.
I'll let you know tomorrow how my first day went.:carrot:

TwynnB
03-24-2013, 10:34 PM
I just made my DH a breakfast cass (sausage and mushrooms), my breakfast cass (spinach, mushroom and feta), and a pot of winter lentil soup for my lunches. Didn't resist the treat I made for bible study (food porn!), but whoooa, did my tummy not like all that sugar!!

Onward HO!

Just Dance Girl
03-25-2013, 01:53 AM
Yesterday was mostly OP, eggs, lettuce wraps with pastrami, soup and veggies with hummus, but 3 squares of dark chocolate. BUT that was because I went on a 3 hour bike ride with people from work--all in their 20's and I kept up!

I was so excited yesterday morning because my stomach looked flatter. I'm starting to look normal, not pregnant!

So today is taebo, walking, eggs, soup, tuna salad.

The recipe for hummus is: sauté minced garlic and bell pepper in olive oil, whirl in food processor, and chick peas, lemon juice, a little water. Then we kept adding stuff til it tasted good. Like Italian dressing and chili powder. It really came out well. It's a great way to eat lots of vegetables.

This is week 2 of P1. I'm not really craving anything, but I'm longing for a big bowl of popcorn!

I've lost a kilo since I started.

Syckgirlsfv
03-25-2013, 12:29 PM
good morning! Week 2 of phase 1 has begun :D I'm doing pretty well...lost 3 pounds since I started a week ago. That isn't counting the 4 pounds of water weight that came off the first day!

Last night I made tuna patties with albacore, ground flax, shredded mozzarella, and spices...they were SO good! I need to shop, I am running low on stuff to eat phase 1, though...I brought broccoli slaw for lunch that I'll put shredded mozzarella on, a little spaghetti sauce, and mushrooms. I do have some celery sticks to have with peanut butter, a stick of string cheese, some edamame, and a laughing cow wedge to snack on so I should be ok. I had 2 eggs, slice of cheddar/mozzarella, and mushrooms with green salsa for breakfast.

We to an hour and a half walk on the horse trail to Griffith Park yesterday :dizzy:

Going to the gym tonight and no idea for dinner yet...need to get the weight loss moving again! I have been 161 for a couple days now!

jazzmegirl
03-25-2013, 01:45 PM
Hi. I've read the book, but can you make this work as a vegetarian? Any guidelines for structuring meals? Thanks.

gutbegone
03-25-2013, 02:34 PM
I had a terrible weekend and gained back all 4 pounds I had lost! Starting again today with my birthday weekend behind me and chugging water.

jekel383
03-25-2013, 08:00 PM
Hi Jazzmegirl I don't see why you cannot structure SB to be vegetarian. The majority of my meals are meatless. Are you a strict vegan?

Gutbegone I highly doubt you are four pounds of food this weekend :) When we get "sidetracked" the numbers do go up. Keep doing what you were before your birthday weekend (Happy belated BTW). Those four pounds will be gone before you know it and more too :)

kelly9371
03-26-2013, 08:15 AM
I just finished my first week on SBD and I love it! I haven't felt deprived at all and I have had so much energy! I recently tried returning to WW, as I lost some weight with that program several years ago, but I found myself eating lots of carbs...and then craving them more. Food was all I thought about!
I really hope to follow this eating plan long term. My only concern is that I have a family of 7 to feed and this has hit my food budget a bit. We relied on pasta and rice to extend our meals. I know this new way of eating will be good for all of us!
The recipes on this site have been wonderful and I look forward to trying more and getting some tips as to how to feed a big crew!
Nice to "meet" you!

scarbiet
03-26-2013, 10:20 AM
I'm only @ the contemplation stage right now...did SB last yr n did great but changed to a horribly stressful job which I'm not @ anymore n I think I'm ready to start again...need sum major support though...lookin forward to gettin to no peops on here

Posted from 3fatchicks.com App for Android

wholefoods4me
03-26-2013, 01:13 PM
OK, so I ended up starting today, on a TUESDAY instead of a Monday, which is a totally new concept for me! :lol:
Yesterday was a pitiful starting attempt, so I will just simply MOVE ON!!
Today I have had one Optifast shake and a coffee for breakfast (I checked on the SB site, and the stats of the shake are equivalent to a dairy). I just now had a piece of cheese, and I'm ready to have either a large salad w/ some salmon or an omelette with lots of veggies for lunch...haven't decided yet.
BUT the important thing is....I AM ON TRACK now!!!!!:carrot:
Good luck to everyone....eat healthy!!!! This plan DOES work!!!
:dust:

Xan
03-26-2013, 06:22 PM
wholefoods4me – Glad you have a kindred spirit in your class! I’m sure starting on Tuesday – or whenever – is fine. Better than not starting on Tuesday ☺

Twynn, I’ve just discovered breakfast casseroles, usually sausage, mushrooms, green onions and mozzarella, and eggs of course.

Just Dance Girl, you’re off to a great start! I’m glad you can feel a difference.

Syckgirlsfv – tuna patties. Another favorite. I’ve never thought to add flax seed, though. But when I’m at home for lunch, I make these a lot. The hour and a half walk – oh, I envy you. It sounds lovely, but it will be awhile before I could even think of walking for that long.

gutbegone – Good for you for getting back on track. It’s so much smarter than “restarting” whenever, which I’ve done so many times.

And welcome, scarblet and kelly9371

So far, I’ve stuck to my weekly plan. I’ve been very grateful for the hummus, as I am usually starving around 4 p.m. I’ve added ― cup of cantaloupe, and not had any cravings.

Syckgirlsfv
03-26-2013, 06:28 PM
Hi girls! I went and upgraded my iPhone 4 to a 5 today, so this is my first post of the day. I had 2 fried eggs and 2 turkey sausage for breakfast and so far that has been it! I went to Costco and got a big bag of almonds, greek yogurt, string cheese and babybel light, and turkey burgers, mahi mahi burgers, and salmon burgers! I'd say I'm prepared for the last 6 days of phase 1!!! Oh, i also got some firm tofu, which I love.

I must now come clean...I had a glass of wine last night. It was so lovely, and I slept so well. My digestive system was being a little sluggish the last 2 days and it fixed that, too! I am ok with it. It was only a glass. I'm about to go hit the gym, so you all have a great rest of the day!

Just Dance Girl
03-27-2013, 02:47 AM
Good morning everyone! It's a beautiful sunny day here. Should be good for a nice long walk.

Yesterday I had invited the girls from work over at 11 for a couple of hours to do some beading. We work at an English school and we're between semesters. But it turned out that only one could come then (she came at 11:30). Three more came at 1, then 5 more came at 4, and 2 more at 5. They all left at 7:30 when I kicked them out. Except for deviled eggs, it was scones, popcorn, and brownies. If I had known that they were going to stay all day, I would have made more protein! Anyway it was really fun and mostly off plan. I ate 2 eggs, popcorn, and 1 brownie.

Syckgirlsfv, I love your shopping trip! It all sounds really good.

So today, I'm back on plan. Eggs, soup, hummus, tuna salad. Lots of walking and taebo.

Xena2013
03-27-2013, 08:51 AM
Hello there - may I join you?

I have lost 60lbs with SBD approx. 7 years ago and kept it off for 2 years. Always stayed on Phase 1 and just added fruit (so it wasnīt even really a Phase 2) for 2 years. So I gained it back since I couldnīt stick to the plan. This time I want to go through all phases as suggested.

Just got the SBD Supercharged on my Kindle and will start to read. Phase 1 will start Monday.

wholefoods4me
03-27-2013, 11:40 AM
I did really well yesterday, until chocolate cravings hit me around 10 last night. I ate a (small) little bag of chocolate eggs. It wasn't even all that good......why oh why do we eat just to be eating????!!! :rollpin:
Today is a brand new day, and so far so good! So far I've had an Optifast shake/ground flaxseed and a coffee.
:coffee:
LIFE IS GOOD!

thirteenblessings
03-27-2013, 05:20 PM
Hi, can I join? I'm not new to SBD, but decided to start again. I've done it before. Once successfully but I went back to eating and drinking whatever I wanted and gained the weight back. The second time, I couldn't make it past Phase 1. I'm ready this time though. After some of the restrictive plans I've been on recently, this seems really easy; even Phase 1!! I love that beans and oil aren't off limits. Limited, but I can have them. I especially love that many of my favorites are reintroduced in just 2 short weeks!

Syckgirlsfv
03-27-2013, 07:32 PM
Hi, can I join? I'm not new to SBD, but decided to start again. I've done it before. Once successfully but I went back to eating and drinking whatever I wanted and gained the weight back. The second time, I couldn't make it past Phase 1. I'm ready this time though. After some of the restrictive plans I've been on recently, this seems really easy; even Phase 1!! I love that beans and oil aren't off limits. Limited, but I can have them. I especially love that many of my favorites are reintroduced in just 2 short weeks!

looks like you and I are about the same size! I have found phase 1 to be pretty easy again, as well...as long as you stock up on the good stuff it's ok.

I had a cup of greek yogurt with crushed almonds, cinnamon, and splenda for breakfast and it was SO GOOD! Now, I really don't like to have to us splenda since it's bad for me, but I haven't gotten anything else yet. I am thinking to try Stevia.

My snack today was celery sticks dipped in greek yogurt dip and a string cheese, and lunch was tofu w/light cheese and green salsa. mmmmm! Pork chops for dinner and probably refried beans and green beans. :p

Xena2013
03-28-2013, 08:27 AM
I had a cup of greek yogurt with crushed almonds, cinnamon, and splenda for breakfast and it was SO GOOD! Now, I really don't like to have to us splenda since it's bad for me, but I haven't gotten anything else yet. I am thinking to try Stevia.

Oh I forgot that Yogurt is allowed on Phase 1. That is a good idea since I am already worried about the eggs in the morning. I love my oatmeal.

I am currently reading the book and am motivated. I think I will put a meal plan together for me and pre-cook everything on Sunday so I am prepared. Fail to plan and you plan to fail is what they say.

I canīt wait to feel good again - I just hope I can stick to the plan and not binge. Bingeing is my fear...But usually with a Low Carb Diet I am doing better with bingeing. On WW I ate pretty much just processed crap like microwave skinny popcorn etc. and was hungry all the time.

Syckgirlsfv
03-28-2013, 12:01 PM
I am retaining one pound of water this morning...so either the yogurt is the culprit (don't know why it would be since it's plain greek yogurt!) or maybe the greek yogurt dip had too much sodium. But it was only 2 tablespoons of the dip! In any case, i didn't have as many veggies yesterday and am now thinking maybe that is the issue. Anyone else have this happen?

I had the Greek yogurt/cinnamon/almonds/splenda again for breakfast this morning. Brought string cheese and a little broccoli slaw w/a small piece of tofu that I had left from the block I cut up yesterday. I am curious to see my weight after the gym tonight. I didn't do regular cardio yesterday, we just took an hour walk, which could be why the extra pound, too. I didn't get my sweat on! :dizzy:

I brought a pork chop for lunch and some edamame. I work at a temple and I'm not really supposed to bring pork (or shellfish) here, but it's spring break and I just stay in my office and eat anyway! :D I'm getting closer to phase 2...Monday it starts!!! I can't wait to be able to have a wheat tortilla or an apple again!:carrot:

thirteenblessings
03-28-2013, 05:46 PM
looks like you and I are about the same size! I have found phase 1 to be pretty easy again, as well...as long as you stock up on the good stuff it's ok.

My snack today was celery sticks dipped in greek yogurt dip and a string cheese, and lunch was tofu w/light cheese and green salsa. mmmmm! Pork chops for dinner and probably refried beans and green beans. :p

Yep looks like we are the same size! Your goal is also my goal. 140 is about as low as I'm comfortable going, otherwise I look too thin. I just want to look healthy.

I've recently done some pretty restrictive stuff so even phase 1 is really easy right now for me. I'm not hungry, not too deprived (although TOM just started and I'm telling you I could really go for one of my kids Easter chocolates right now LOL!) and I'm losing. Amazing.

Your yogurt sounds yummy! I haven't really incorporated any dairy yet so I might have to try that tonight!

thirteenblessings
03-28-2013, 06:01 PM
Oh I forgot that Yogurt is allowed on Phase 1. That is a good idea since I am already worried about the eggs in the morning. I love my oatmeal.

I am currently reading the book and am motivated. I think I will put a meal plan together for me and pre-cook everything on Sunday so I am prepared. Fail to plan and you plan to fail is what they say.

I canīt wait to feel good again - I just hope I can stick to the plan and not binge. Bingeing is my fear...But usually with a Low Carb Diet I am doing better with bingeing. On WW I ate pretty much just processed crap like microwave skinny popcorn etc. and was hungry all the time.

There's a recipe somewhere out there for mock oatmeal. It's pretty good and authentic. I ate that almost everyday last time I successfullly did the SoBe.

I'm nervous about Sunday too. But I"m bringing some stuff I can eat just in case. Hang in there, and just remember that P2 opens up a lot more variety!

And I feel kind of off too. Not only am I starting this plan but TOM just started and I feel weird. It gets better after around day 4 in my past experience. Just gotta get through the first few days.

thirteenblessings
03-28-2013, 06:10 PM
I am retaining one pound of water this morning...so either the yogurt is the culprit (don't know why it would be since it's plain greek yogurt!) or maybe the greek yogurt dip had too much sodium. But it was only 2 tablespoons of the dip! In any case, i didn't have as many veggies yesterday and am now thinking maybe that is the issue. Anyone else have this happen?

I had the Greek yogurt/cinnamon/almonds/splenda again for breakfast this morning. Brought string cheese and a little broccoli slaw w/a small piece of tofu that I had left from the block I cut up yesterday. I am curious to see my weight after the gym tonight. I didn't do regular cardio yesterday, we just took an hour walk, which could be why the extra pound, too. I didn't get my sweat on! :dizzy:

I brought a pork chop for lunch and some edamame. I work at a temple and I'm not really supposed to bring pork (or shellfish) here, but it's spring break and I just stay in my office and eat anyway! :D I'm getting closer to phase 2...Monday it starts!!! I can't wait to be able to have a wheat tortilla or an apple again!:carrot:

I wouldn't worry too much, but if it happens again, it could be the dairy. I know too much dairy almost always causes me to either stall or gain which is kind of why I have been avoiding it. Same goes with nuts. I can have them, but not too many. But a cup of greek yogurt and a few almonds should definitely be ok. Just drink lots of water today and don't let it get to you :)

I have another week after this week. It goes fast though, I can do it :) And great job in P1!! 10 pounds +?? That's awesome!

AFM, I feel kind of off. Dizzy and weak and grumpy. I know from experience this goes away after around day four so I'm looking forward to that. I'm mostly excited that TOM surprised me today (not excited about THAT HA HA!) and I still lost weight today. That is keeping me motivated for sure.

Xena2013
03-29-2013, 08:18 AM
Hello SBD Friends,

I decided to not start Monday, but rather start tomorrow. Why wait? This is very unusual for me and my brain starts to play me all these tricks:

- but wouldnt the 1st of April be a great date to start
- Weekends are so much harder
- but you could indulge in so many yummy things over the weekend

And exactly for that reason I will start today. All these reasons are BS! I can start any time and I would love to start April below 90kg, now I am 90.7.

I decided to not have dairy for Phase 1 and after two weeks - if I feel I can manage it - have a week or so of Phase 1.5 (fruit and dairy).

Xena2013
03-29-2013, 09:13 AM
BTW is there a way to have a personal journal on this forum or are there just the blogs? I couldn't find journals and am surprised. It would be so nice to keep a journal of my SBD journey.

TwynnB
03-29-2013, 09:46 AM
Xena - did you know they actually encourage you to have dairy in phase I? For me, I find it really helps curb my appetite (the first time I did south beach, I swore my daily yogurt is what helped me!). If you are just trying to give up dairy, that would be okay, but otherwise, I would definately integrate it.

(cheese sticks were one of my fav snacks!)

thirteenblessings
03-29-2013, 01:18 PM
I have been scared to incorporate much dairy too so that makes me feel better Twynn! I hear Starbucks calling my name this afternoon ha ha :) Skinny SF latte of course.

AFM, TOM has really thrown me for a loop. I am having a tough time being around all of the Easter goodies and not partaking. I'm craving wine like no ones business. But I'm hanging in there. No weight loss today but no gain either so that's ok in my book all things considered! I did accidentally overdo it on the nuts yesterday and had a Subway salad for lunch (probably contained an overload of sodium). So watching those things today and pumping the water. Hope to see scale movement again tomorrow.

Syckgirlsfv
03-29-2013, 03:55 PM
I'm down to only .5 pound water hanging around...I have a step class tonight (turbo sculpt) that should take care of it! I'm so close to leaving the 160s behind it's driving me bonkers :dizzy: But I've done this before and I know it can be done! It's a little scary knowing that phase 2 is coming upon me this Monday...I feel like with the stall in the scale I might have trouble losing more, but odds are it isn't true. If I remember correctly, we only have one serving a day of the good carbs for the first week, am I right? My daughter is in Orange County and she has my book...I can't get down there to get it just yet. I am looking forward to sweet potatoes and sourdough bread! :p

I had two eggs, broccoli, light swiss, and el pato hot sauce for breakfast.
precious string cheese for snack
turkey cutlets dipped in jalapeno greek yogurt dip for lunch, yum! BUT, I totally forgot to bring a veggie to go with lunch! I will go shopping today - I'll stop by Pavilion's on my way home and load up on veggies and maybe some different legumes.

Anybody have any advice for beginning phase 2 Monday?

thirteenblessings
03-29-2013, 06:18 PM
I'm down to only .5 pound water hanging around...I have a step class tonight (turbo sculpt) that should take care of it! I'm so close to leaving the 160s behind it's driving me bonkers :dizzy: But I've done this before and I know it can be done! It's a little scary knowing that phase 2 is coming upon me this Monday...I feel like with the stall in the scale I might have trouble losing more, but odds are it isn't true. If I remember correctly, we only have one serving a day of the good carbs for the first week, am I right? My daughter is in Orange County and she has my book...I can't get down there to get it just yet. I am looking forward to sweet potatoes and sourdough bread! :p

I had two eggs, broccoli, light swiss, and el pato hot sauce for breakfast.
precious string cheese for snack
turkey cutlets dipped in jalapeno greek yogurt dip for lunch, yum! BUT, I totally forgot to bring a veggie to go with lunch! I will go shopping today - I'll stop by Pavilion's on my way home and load up on veggies and maybe some different legumes.

Anybody have any advice for beginning phase 2 Monday?

I'm close to leaving them behind too! My body always fights me at this weight. Ugh! It likes being 162 for whatever reason.

Gah I am grumpy today!! I can barely stand to be around myself LOL. I just yelled at poor DH because he had the audacity to ask me if I wanted to go to a friend's house to watch the basketball game. I told him the Easter baskets weren't going to make themselves and the eggs weren't going to just magically be boiled on their own and besides it's always a lot of fun to watch everyone eat chips and drink alcohol when I can't. Oops. That was all really mean. I feel bad now. The combo of carb detox and PMS is not a good one. :dizzy:

No advice on P2. I honestly cannot remember. The past couple of times I have done SOBE, I didn't even make it past phase 1. I will take a look at my book tonight and let you know but I think the first week it's one grain and one fruit per day. But I'm not 100% on that either. Maybe it's either or?? Anyone else have any P2 tips?

Xena2013
03-29-2013, 09:18 PM
Xena - did you know they actually encourage you to have dairy in phase I? For me, I find it really helps curb my appetite (the first time I did south beach, I swore my daily yogurt is what helped me!). If you are just trying to give up dairy, that would be okay, but otherwise, I would definately integrate it.

(cheese sticks were one of my fav snacks!)

I just picked up cheese sticks. Which ones are you guys favorite? I also got Popsicle (never had them before), Jello SF and LeCroix flavoried water. I know all the Sweetener isnīt great, but overeating/bingeing isnīt great either. So I am trying not to be that hard on me.

I bouth a gallon water and want to fill it every day to refill with my filtered water here. This way I know how much I still have to drink.

I think I might eat Cottage Cheese since I still have some left and donīt want to throw it out.

I will start a blog tomorrow as well.:carrot:

TwynnB
03-30-2013, 08:51 AM
thirteen blessings - they recommend to integrate one fruit OR grain each week, and then see how you do with it. For many, they can't have grains in the AM without setting off cravings. Or for me, I love apples, but I'm hungry an hour later (with PB I'm okay). This way, you learn how your body handles everything, and learn best how to control cravings.

onebyone
03-30-2013, 09:43 AM
Hi--just checking in here. I'm starting SBD tomorrow. I've been following WW and have had some success but I am totally unuable to stick to it now I think I just need a change of scenery and I like the beach.

I tried SBD when it first came out and dropped it pretty fast. No real reason that I can recall. The no fruit thing will be hard but it's just 2 weeks. I'll survive and if some of this weight that's been stuck on me like glue can be released that's not a bad trade off.

Bye for now.

Syckgirlsfv
03-30-2013, 01:38 PM
String cheese is my favorite kind of cheese stick. It's part skim because it's mozzarella, which is nice and low fat AND tasty! mmmmm...I'm going to go take my son to a movie today and lunch, so I'm thinking salad. It's the safest and the easiest when eating out. We'll see...it's gorgeous here in So Cal today! The birds are singing like crazy outside and the sun is shining ;)

Xena2013
03-30-2013, 04:17 PM
HI SBD Friends,

Just started SBD today. This morning I thought "Oh no just start on Monday" but I am done!!! DONE! I want to get fit and healthy again.

I had eggs and turkey bacon for breakfast.

I start with 91.7 kg and will post my weekly weigh ins on my blog.

Feels good to be back on the beach.

Just Dance Girl
03-31-2013, 03:31 AM
Hi everyone!
Yesterday was good, actually don't remember most of it, except eggs for dinner, but I remember thinking before I went to sleep that I stayed on plan.

I should be moving to P1.5 today, but I had 2 very off plan days this week, so I'm staying for a couple more days.

It seems like it would be easy for me to reach my goal, but the scale is not moving off 57kg. If I wiggle a little, it goes to 56.5 but cheating, right? Somehow that number of 55kg has become very important to me......

My DD is visiting for a week. She loves to be active, so maybe we can do another bike ride.

But, :carrot: even though the scale isn't moving, yesterday going through my summer clothes, I tried on some capris I was going to give away 2 weeks ago......and they fit!! I am so excited!

So today is eggs, salad, hummus, and stir fry.

Xena2013
03-31-2013, 08:44 AM
Hi Guys,

Day 1 is over! Yeah off to Day 2. I hope you all have a happy eastern! I am upset the stores are closed. I donīt have family here and wanted to go get a handbag as a reward for starting this journey, but well. I am happy for everybody that is off and can spend the day with their loved ones.

Question: How do you get the smell of bacon out of the house? I am sick - I made bacon yesterday and the apartment smells like it. Even though I had the van turned on, cleaned everything up right away...

Just Dance Girl - fitting clothes are the biggest reward for me. I canīt wait to wear some of my jeans again one day.

Xena2013
03-31-2013, 08:45 AM
BTW I am watching a great series on YouTube. It is about sugar and how it harms us. It is called "The Skinny on Obesity". The guy talking about it has a book out as well, a lot of you might actually know him "Robert Lustig".

Xena2013
04-01-2013, 07:55 AM
Wow i lost 2 kg after 2 days...can't believe it.

Syckgirlsfv
04-01-2013, 01:38 PM
I am extending phase 1 for another day or 2, because I was bad and had some vodka and a beer last night. I'm ok with that, though, because I have plenty of things to eat ;)

thirteenblessings
04-01-2013, 01:50 PM
I did terribly this weekend. TOM + Easter stress + Easter candy proved to be too much. Gained back all that I lost last week. Just putting it aside and starting over today. I feel really yucky and am not hungry at all. Going to be a struggle eating much today. I hope at least half is water so not all is lost. I will reevaluate next Monday if I do another week of Phase 1 and literally make today a start over day or just move onto Phase 2 next week.

onebyone
04-02-2013, 12:01 AM
Hi. Today I did day 1 phase 1 and it was fine. I'm looking and planning ahead for day 2.
Bye for now.

Just Dance Girl
04-02-2013, 02:30 AM
So yesterday I was totally OP. I'm so thankful! The only snacking after dinner was a few walnuts, stayed away from the dark chocolate. Eggs, soup, hummus, stir fry, walnuts.

I also started JM's 30day shred. I figured if I'm not really losing I might as well build some muscles. Day 1 wasn't as hard as I thought it would be--even though I had to stop a couple of times to catch my breath. I'm a little sore, but I hear that day 3 is the hardest.

Maybe a bike ride today. And maybe we'll get to the store that sells tuna so we can have tuna salad for dinner.

Good for you all who fell off the wagon and are getting back on! Don't give up! Remember success is just getting back up once more than falling.

Xena2013
04-02-2013, 08:42 AM
Just Dance Girl - good for you with starting JM! I wanted to start a couple of times I just canīt move after Day 2. I am not sure why she doesnīt have any rest days in there. I am going to give it another try after Phase 1.

I also want to start the C25k App and try to run 5k after a while.

Day 3 of SBD went well. I decided to not weigh myself right now. I know I am not eating a lot of calories and should lose weight. I just canīt take the scaleīs moods right now. I will weight in after Phase 1 is over. Hopefully Iīll be happy about the result. I have done Phase 1 a couple of times and have usually lost between 10 and 18 lbs depending on how much water my body hold.

Syckgirlsfv
04-02-2013, 01:47 PM
just a quickie...

did well yesterday and stayed on plan...I did have one bud light when we got to the golf course clubhouse (horse trail we walk goes in to Griffith Park and the golf course), but during phase 2 I am allowed one beer or glass of wine per day. Even though I am not really ready to fully go in to phase 2, it was still technically the day I would have started it! I am doing basically a phase 1.5 I guess...I'm not ready for fruit or grains yet. I think I'll start having sweet potatoes this week, but maybe not until tomorrow. Have to see how long it takes the pound and a half of water I'm holding to leave me, since Sunday night I had a few shots of vodka and a beer. And I didn't really enjoy it as I normally would! I had my tofu for lunch and I did make the curry for dinner but it was green curry, not yellow. I had to cheat a little and add some brown sugar, because it did not taste good at first! Maybe because the coconut milk was light, I don't know...but it ended up yummy

breakfast - Fage greek yogurt (plain) with a packet of splenda and 15 almonds.

for snack I have string cheese, and celery sticks to dip in jalapeno greek yogurt dip. (2 tbsp)

lunch is a version of crack slaw I made the other day! Cabbage, diced tomato, ground beef, and my usual assortment of herbs and spices. Organic no salt seasoning, garam masala, red pepper flakes, curry powder, and cinnamon!

not too certain on dinner yet...

Xena2013
04-03-2013, 09:31 AM
Hi guys,

Day 5 for me, first week is over soon. I haven't cheated at all and feel amazing. I am kinda scared to step on the scale though. I think I'll keep waiting.

Read the book about Phase 2 and am really looking forward to it. I will do it just as the book recommends it.

Still scared of eating yogurt but I think I should go for it since eggs get kinda boring.

michigangirl
04-03-2013, 10:31 AM
Good morning to you all, I am so glad to see that there are so many others that are restarting. This is day 3 P1 for me. I regained some of the weight I had lost when I was here before. So this morning I adjusted my tracker and found lots of encouragement by all of you on this post. My husband and I are both on P1 so the support at home is helpful as well as this site. Having the house diet ready is one of the biggest hurdles. I pulled out my favorite P1 recipes, stocked up on veggies, pulled out my food journal and I am ready to rock those scale numbers. Glad to be back here with you on this journey. Linda

Just Dance Girl
04-03-2013, 11:57 AM
Did you hear that big thump? That was me falling off/down. We had guests for lunch today and had no time or energy to make anything OP. So we had sandwiches, local pastries, and BROWNIES. I really could have avoided it and had soup, but I hadn't had any of that for so long..... And I was down 1/2 a kilo today.

But tomorrow is a new day. At least I did 30DS and I walked. I still have to stop during 30DS to catch my breath and I have moved down from 2 kg weights to soup cans! but I get through it. I really want to keep going with it but I'm afraid I'll give up. What keeps you guys going?

Syckgirlsfv
04-03-2013, 12:02 PM
morning beachers!! So I'm still holding a pound of water...normal fluctuations I guess, as I'm not cheating. I am still sticking to phase one this week, mostly because phase 2 scares me! LOL...I like how flat my stomach is without grains and fruits. :carrot:

I made a chicken dish last night for dinner: cut up chicken breast and cooked it in a skillet with organic no salt seasoning, red pepper flakes, mushrooms, and onion soup mix. Added some plain greek yogurt and served it over sauteed broccoi slaw and it was delish! Snacked on light babybel and string cheese when I got hungry.

Breakfast this morning was a flax muffin: egg substitute, flax, vanilla extract, and splenda. I have a feeling I'm going to be hungry soon :dizzy:

no problem, I have string cheese, celery and laughing cow wedge for snacking, and some almonds if necessary. Brought leftover green curry chicken and broccoli from the other night for lunch.

have a great day all!;)

Jennie527
04-03-2013, 09:53 PM
...Brought leftover green curry chicken and broccoli from the other night for lunch.

have a great day all!;)

green curry chicken? That sounds delicious! Is that a recipe here?

Syckgirlsfv
04-03-2013, 11:22 PM
green curry chicken? That sounds delicious! Is that a recipe here?
It isn't, but light coconut milk is allowed...I just used green curry paste with it. You just have to make sure you use Splenda or something to make it sweet enough!

Xena2013
04-04-2013, 08:59 AM
Hey Guys,

Another day at the beach. I had greek yogurt (0%) for breakfast, 100 calorie pack of raw almonds and 2 cheese strings. I hope the diary will not heart me, but I think I should be fine.

Kinda weird though. I think the old plan I did years ago did not allow diary, I wonder what made him change his mind. I didnīt come across that in the book. Do any of you know?

Xena2013
04-04-2013, 09:12 AM
Dairy not diary duh - too early in the day

Just Dance Girl
04-04-2013, 02:09 PM
so today was good! much better than yesterday. Yogurt for breakfast, egg salad for lunch, walnuts for snack, chicken vegetable soup for dinner. 30DS and 45 minutes of walking. Yay on plan! :D

I'm kind of freaking about going to P1.5, but I realized that I just want to stay on this adding an apple or something and maybe oatmeal everyday. And the occasional treat - caramels are my fav right now. So that seems very doable.

I kind of think that he added dairy (or diary!) later, too.

Syckgirlsfv
04-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Morning peeps! Yesterday we didn't feel like going to the gym so I jogged around my neighborhood. I did a 4 minutes jogging, one minute walking thing for 25 minutes and I loved it! My husband is a problem because he is always telling me it's too high impact, but I finally told him it IS NOT for me, I'm not heavy and I don't have a bad ankle like he does! I swear, he can't stand when I do anything by myself! It took a few years in the beginning for me to just ignore his protests about my wanting to go to school and just do it, and now look at me with an associate's degree and on my way to my BS in accounting! Anyway, it was fun, and I know that it's better for losing weight than a cardio machine. I'm now going to start doing it more

had a tiny bit of leftover green curry chicken for breakfast and a flax muffin (egg sub, ground flax, vanilla, splenda) so I'm a little hungry, but I'm going to lunch with coworkers today to a Thai place on Ventura blvd. I've decided I'll probably order the Larb salad. It's mostly ground chicken and lettuce, and is usually spicy. This still falls in line with SBD. I'm still dealing with a little pound of water weight, but it should be gone soon...

I remember being able to have lots of cheese and cottage cheese before...so I'm not sure about him changing anything...too bad my daughter still has my book! She isn't using it :(

Syckgirlsfv
04-04-2013, 05:21 PM
so for lunch I got the chicken larb salad which is just ground chicken with spices and mint leaves, and a little romain lettuce. It's really mostly ground chicken! And the dressing is mostly lime juice and cilantro...BUT (there's always one, isn't there?) an hour after eating I'm feeling after effects of what must have been MSG That usually means a 2 pound water gain. It pisses me off! Otherwise I am OP as always...gonna drink mean amounts of water the rest of the day!

here's to really hoping I don't have to report more water gain tomorrow!!!

Xena2013
04-05-2013, 08:38 AM
I just found my favorite SBD breakfast. I donīt snack, so I eat 3 bigger meals.

Greek Yogurt with 1 TB PB mixed together
1 String Cheese
Handful Almonds

Keeps me full for like 5 hours.

Then I usually have chicken or fish with veggies or salad and a sf yello, for dinner a omelette with veggies.

Syckgirlsfv
04-05-2013, 01:56 PM
Posted in another forum and too lazy to rewrite...

so yesterday went better than I thought it was going to go, because when I got home the hubby decided he would like to try jogging with me instead of going to the stuffy gym and using the cardio machines! :carrot:

He did ok, actually...even though he jogged much slower because he's not only got a broken ankle, but he's very heavy. BUT it's muscle heavy, except for maybe 15 pounds that he needs to lose around his gut. He's 6 feet tall but weighs 250, and he should really be around 235 with his muscle mass taken in to consideration. Big, strong, beefy man :D But he enjoyed himself enough to commit to doing that with me twice a week! The rest of the time we'll still go to the gym to lift weights and for my step class. :dizzy:

Breakfast: egg substitute w/light swiss and 2 slices turkey bacon

snack: mini babybel light, greek yogurt w/almonds (also splenda and pumpkin pie spice)

lunch: tuna w/light mayo with celery sticks instead of bread.

Turbo sculpt step class tonight! Dinner is a mystery...:?:

Just Dance Girl
04-07-2013, 11:05 AM
Dd is going back to school tonight, so I'll be back inP1 after a brief visit to P1.5. Today was yogurt, kefir, and walnuts; an apple; and chicken curry.

Jillian has been kind to me. I'm on D7 of the shred and I'm losing inches! And gaining stamina: what used to kill me is now merely hard.

sunster2
04-07-2013, 11:59 AM
Rejoined this site and went to zumba yesterday.
Joining this thread and SBD today + more zumba.
Thanks for this thread =)

Xena2013
04-07-2013, 12:23 PM
I was a little off plan yesterday, not in a cheat meal way but I had 3 portions of almonds instead of the recommended one and too much cheese. I did not eat dinner though cuz I felt so bad (I know this is the thing I should not do actually).

That is also the moment where I just want to repeat Phase 1, but it is BS. I just go into Phase 2 and see what happens.

JustDanceGirl - Wow! So happy for you. JM is great. I really need to get motivated to start it again too...I am so lazy right now it is unbelievable. I use the excuse that I am in P1 and have no energy without carbs.

Sunster2 - welcome!!! I hope you share your P1 experience with us.

NicoleInCt
04-08-2013, 08:31 AM
I'm in! I've regained all the weight I lost two years ago (plus 5 more pounds...ugh) and with just two months till my brother's wedding (and with spring and spring clothing time), I have no choice but to get serious and follow through this time! Since my initial weight loss two years ago, I haven't stuck to anything for more than a week, then I get discouraged and beat myself up, have less confidence, and get even further off track...a vicious cycle.

Just Dance Girl
04-08-2013, 02:51 PM
Thanks, xena, I can't believe I'm actually doing it!

Welcome Nicole!

Today was pastrami, soup, more soup and some dark chocolate :o

Tomorrow are eggs! And tuna salad! Great things!

Have a great day!

Xena2013
04-08-2013, 03:15 PM
Hey guys - i have lost two more kg so far. 5 days left until Phase 2.

Can't wait to have Oatmeal again. This morning I was thinking about moving to Phase 2 earlier but what the ****. No excuses anymore now...

Xena2013
04-08-2013, 03:17 PM
I'm in! I've regained all the weight I lost two years ago (plus 5 more pounds...ugh) and with just two months till my brother's wedding (and with spring and spring clothing time), I have no choice but to get serious and follow through this time! Since my initial weight loss two years ago, I haven't stuck to anything for more than a week, then I get discouraged and beat myself up, have less confidence, and get even further off track...a vicious cycle.

Welcome we are definitly in the same boat...after keeping my weight off for two years i regained all of it and then some...

Let's get back on track!!!

DonnaK
04-08-2013, 07:23 PM
Hello,
This is my first post and I have been lurking and enjoying all the info I have received here. I started SB a week ago and have lost 4 lbs. That is really good for me as I am older and lost weight very slowly. I have tried WW and just couldn't stick to it. Sweets are my weakness and because they encouraged you to eat everything, I just went overboard. I don't like to write everything down so it was a real pain. I'm hoping to stick to this and look forward to phase II when I can have a few grains and fruit.

NicoleInCt
04-08-2013, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the welcome :) and I've got to say that while my first day restarting is usually easy, I've been sooooo hungry all day today. Usually that happens on my second or third day back on. I'm thinking it's because of TOM. Anyone else ravenous in the beginning?

Just Dance Girl
04-09-2013, 02:37 PM
Hope you all had a good day. My semester just started for teaching, so my schedule is a little wonky. I like to workout in the morning, but now I have a morning class, so I need to rethink!

Today was pretty good. Eggs, milk, pastrami wraps, tuna salad, nuts.

Tomorrow will be much the same, I'm too busy right now to get to the store!

blondie80
04-15-2013, 04:03 PM
Hi all
am starting phase 1 next week as have my wedding anniversary and bday this weekend so going for an overnight in a hotel and want to enjoy it.
I have a few questions regarding phase 1 foods.
I was wondering where I could get the low fat ricotta cheese as I am in Ireland and my local Tescos only stocks full fat version. Could I get it in Lidl, Aldi, Dunnes???
If not is there anything else I can use in place of this? I love sugar free jelly but would like a topping too - can we use low fat angel delight ( guess who has a sweet tooth:o)
Also can we eat nuts in phase 1 or is it just in phase 2?
I have a lot of weight to lose. I had my 3rd baby 8 weeks ago and put on all but a stone of the 4 stone I had lost before her:(
So am starting at 16stone 7 and am aiming for 13stone again. Obviously when I get there I will reset but just want to move from obese category to overweight.
Has anyone done more than 2 weeks of phase 1 or jumped between phase 1 and 2 ie a couple weeks before a wedding ect