General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #1  
Warrior

S/C/G: 252/216/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Staying motivated...

I know there are probably dozens of threads about this already...

I used to work days and get off work at 2:30. After work I went straight to the gym. Then I had the whole evening to relax.

Then my employer moved me to nights. I didn't have a choice in the matter. Since then, I have been trying to get up in the morning and go work out. But that isn't working so well. I got work out first thing in the morning, then I only have a couple hours before I have to go to work (have to be there at 2.) I feel like I am always in a hurry.

Also, the cold weather of late is holding me back. I have to walk. I usually can get a ride to the gym, but not home. (I don't own a car, long story.) And it's so hard to get motivated to go work out first thing in the morning when I know I will have to walk in sub zero temperatures home. I can take a taxi... but that's so expensive and there are no other types of public transportation here in my city.

I wish I could go work out after work... but honestly, walking home all by myself that late at night scares me.

I really am not trying to make excuses... these are just the things that are tripping me up lately. I've lost over 30 pounds... but lately it's getting harder and harder to stick with it.

My boyfriend's birthday is Easter weekend... I am trying to lose 5 pounds before then, but I doubt it will happen at the rate I'm going.

Does anyone have any advice about what I could do to keep myself motivated enough to overcome the obstacles? I try to use mental tricks... I try to guilt myself into it, etc. I figure maybe there are people here who have been in the same situation who might have some wisdom for me...
DazeGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #2  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Right now my family and work schedule isn't really letting me get to the gym as much as I like... So I've decided to change things up a bit and do what I can at home... I've decided to adopt the philosophy of "You are your own gym..." (apparently there is a book and some DVD's, but I've haven't seem them... I just like the phrase) Anyway I'm going to do what I can using my own bodyweight for resistance... and I've got some dumbbells lying around too... and I just ordered some kettlebells, so I'm gonna start swinging those bad boys around once they get here and hope I don't take out one my cats or break a few windows in the process... oh, and I just picked up a jump rope for good measure and I'm gonna throw that in to the mix as well... So even if I can't get to the gym as much as I would like... I can still have some fun being stuck in the house...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

First, good for you trying to find alternatives and seeking advice on what can be done. It's so much easier to just give up.

I think the advice to exercise at home is great. There are lots and lots of DVDs available -- probably some you could get from the library -- that can provide as good a workout as you get at the gym. I prefer going to the gym, but if I were in your situation, I'd definitely try to find a routine I could do at home.

It sounds like you got moved to second shift, so I'm assuming you get off work now around 10-11 PM. It takes awhile to get our bodies adjusted to working a different shift. You mentioned that now you just feel rushed all the time whereas before you had the whole evening free. It might help to map out your hours from when you got off at 2:30 and map them now with working a different shift. For instance, time at work, time commuting, time sleeping, etc. There are the same number of hours in the day, but somehow working a different shift seems to really throw a wrench in things some times.

Hope some of this helps. The only other thing I can think of from a transportation perspective is to find a gym buddy that is willing to drive you home -- I agree that walking home late at night is not a good idea even if the weather weren't bad. Good luck.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #4  
Warrior

Thanks to you both for replying.

Yes, I got moved to second shift. I think the only good thing about this so far is that I am operating on a more natural sleep schedule. When I worked days I had to be to work at 6am and I only slept about five hours a night. Now I get about 8 hours of sleep, but that is three hours of time I'm giving up in my day.

I read these replies and then jumped in the shower. When I was in the shower I was thinking... I love to dance. And working second shift has put a little bit of a damper on that now too because I don't go out as much. Maybe I could put on some music and turn the lights down low in my apartment and just dance for like an hour on days that I can't go to the gym. And I could do that after work instead of before work and I won't feel so rushed.

Today I got home from the gym at 11:30... I leave for work at 1:30... That's two hours to shower, eat, and get ready for work. It goes fast.

I know this is off subject but my apartment is also pretty messy right now too since I have a really hard time finding time to clean, lol...
Old 03-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #5  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

I highly suggest figuring out an at home routine. Try the Zumba DVDs
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #6  
Warrior

Ok, so once again thanks for all the replies and encouragement.

Today my alarm went off at 9am. I shut it off and apparently went back to sleep. I barely even remember shutting my alarm off. When I woke up it was 10:30 and I was so pissed off at myself.

But, then I remembered this thread, lol. I got my workout clothes on and danced for about 35 minutes. 35 minutes is about how much cardio I do at the gym, so...

And to keep my heart rate up, at the beginning of every song I did 50 jumping jacks.

I am kind of down on myself though, because for some reason yesterday I was STARVING all day. I tried the best I could to stay on plan but failed miserably. When I got home from work I still had 300 calories left for the day. I ate some popcorn but I was still starving. I ate some cheese cubes, some tuna, and a little bit of peanut butter. I finally felt full after that, but I know I went way over my limit. I guess I can take some solace in the fact that the things I ate have some nutritional value and aren't just junk.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:06 PM   #7  
Warrior

test...

Yay, my signature works!

Last edited by DazeGypsy; 03-14-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #8  
love machine!

S/C/G: 167/130.2/120

Height: 5'6"

I totally feel you. I live in Minnesota of all places, and we get quite the winter here. I also have no car, and go through swings of motivation (WHO DOESNT!).

I like the dance idea. I've done that myself, and it's a lot of fun-- I end up cracking myself up usually, or just feeling really sexy Or both! It's always when my boyfriend is out so I can just leave my body and enter the music!

Do you have any days off? I'm the kind of person who needs to have some kind of schedule and feel proud to follow it. I would recommend if you have a day or two off, to commit to go to the gym them and use the machines. Those can be your 'pillar' work out days, and the dancing (or the home work outs, whatever they are) can be the connective tissue between the pillars. Remind yourself that every extra movement COUNTS and feel proud when you do it at all! Sometimes I will run a block/walk a block when I'm on my way somewhere, or even run thr whole way if it's close. Just because.... why not!??
Hope this helps, rock on!
S
om namah shivaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 183/166/135

Height: 5'6"

I work "second shift" (1 pm to 9 pm) and i LOVE it. I actually go to hot yoga after work (9:45 pm class). I gave up trying to exercise in the morning because it just didn't work for me, although when the weather gets better I plan to get up at 9:30 am and go for a walk on the beach.

It's REALLY hard to get up early when you work afternoon shift, so I don't beat myself up too much, but I found that 9:30 am is okay, as long as I go to bed around 1:30 am and have a good sleep and just force myself to get up.

It will take you awhile to get your system moved over to this shift, but I personally love it and absolutely dread the day I have to go back to day shift. ugh. I never exercised on day shift because I was SO TIRED by the end of my shift I didn't care about life.
BreathingSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:34 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 275/209/190

Height: 6'1

I find work outs on Youtube and do them from there. I haven't paid for a thing when it comes to exercise for the past 4 months. lol!
LadyP2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #11  
Warrior

Got my laptop back, yay!

I found a solution to this problem. I go to the gym after work, in the middle of the night basically. It's actually pretty nice. There's no one there and I don't have to wait on machines. And the walk home is nice too. I walk through a pretty part of town that is well lit. It's kind of surreal, no one on the street at all. And then in the morning I am not so rushed. I can wake up at my leisure and actually relax for a little while before work.