Exercise! - Upper body workout while walking?

View Full Version : Upper body workout while walking?

newinspiration
05-18-2003, 04:34 PM
Hi, I'm new to the site, and I find all this sharing and support just great!! I've 30 lbs. to lose, but I am not following any particular plan--just sensible eating and exercise. My favorite exercise is outdoor walking. I've been doing it off and on for over a year now. It makes me feel great! My top distance at a time is 1 1/4 miles. I'd like to walk longer, but time is limited--I'm a working mom.

I am looking for a suggestion to make my walks more effective. Since I've begun, I've noticed changes in my legs and hips, but I don't think I am getting much of an upper body workout. Is there some way that I could incorporate something like that into my walking? I don't want to stop walking and do push-ups or crunches. I want it to be part of the walking itself. Any ideas would be immensely appreciated. Thanks in advance!!:flow1:

RavenToy
05-18-2003, 04:37 PM
Carry weights and do upper body weights while you're walking? :) That's what they do in the Walk Away the Pounds videos. Side raises, flyes, standing dumbell presses, that kind of thing. It might look a little weird, but it would get the job done.

newinspiration
05-19-2003, 09:50 PM
Hi Raven Toy!! I took your advice and used the weights in my walking today. I really don't care what I look like while I am walking, so that wasn't a problem. I carried 1 lb. weights in each hand for a one-mile walk. Part of the time I just carried them, sometimes at my sides, and other times at waist level. Then I did side raises--first one arm at a time, then both arms together, about 10 in a set--two or three sets. At one point I had to make sure I didn't hit another lady walking on the track at the same time!! My workout felt more intense right away, and tonight I am a bit sore in the back and sides--must be working!! It's exactly what I was hoping to have happen. Thanks a million!!