Old 03-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 218/190.4/155

Height: 5'7"

Default protein powder? recommendations?

Hi all,

About two weeks ago I started following the Insulin Resistance Diet (it's a book, google it if interested) which basically consists of trying to moderate carbs (no more than 15 g carb at snack, 30 g carb with meal) and always balancing carbs with protein. I'm doing fairly well so far and have lost a few pounds which is encouraging.

What I have run into is that it is hard to get enough protein to balance out my carbs. For example, if I have a reasonable sized bowl of steel cut oats for breakfast with some organic blueberries thrown in, that is 30 g of carbs. And I usually add almonds to my oatmeal, but it takes a whole lot of almonds to get to the 15 g of protein I'd need to balance. I am considering using protein powder - my SO uses it, mixes it in milk (he needs lots of protein b/c he is all muscle but tries to keep cholesterol down, so doesn't want lots of animal fat) - and likes it okay.

What types of protein powders have folks tried, and with what results? I'm looking for something low in carbs and sugar, something that is not crazy processed (I prefer whole foods) and something not made with genetically modified soy (because GM foods just weird me out). Anyone have a recommendation? Thanks everybody!
SuperCecilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #2  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I find when it comes to protein powders it seems everyone's taste is a little bit different... what I would do is just check out a few health food stores since you said that prefer whole foods and just pick up a few different single serving sizes to try out to see which ones you like and have the nutritional profile that you're looking for...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #3  

Nature's Plus, Energy Shake, The Original High Protein -
This is the best, as far as I'm concerned. I've used it for years. I use water and powder in a blender, and Sugar Free DaVinci Syrup, & ice...but you can use milk, juice, whatever. I order mine online from iherb. Tastes good. Scroll down their page to check out the ingredients. The price shows up less once you add it to the cart.
Calories - 70
Total Carb - 2g
Sugar - 0
Total Fat - 0
hatgirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:35 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 249.2/see ticker/125

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

GNC makes an unflavored whey...no sugar at all....it's also not good. Jay Robb makes delicious whey...sweetened with Stevia (a plant that has no impact on insulin levels). Both can be mixed with oatmeal.
kmac1196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:12 AM   #5  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

Garden of Life Raw Protein is an organic protein powder made with "real" ingredients (not unpronounceable synthetic crap). It has 17 grams protein and 3 grams of carbs per serving. I haven't tried it yet, but a friend recommended it.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote