Ideal Protein Diet - vegetables

View Full Version : vegetables

pinkeetoz
03-12-2013, 01:12 AM
I read on another thread that you aren't suppose to have 2 cups of green beans when it is time to eat 2 cups of veggies. I don't understand this.

Why would it matter if I used green beans for my 2 cups?

Another question while I am at it: Is it ok to mix the veggies that we can have? Like, say, radish, celery and cauliflower mixed and all of it adds up to two cups.

leannekarella
03-12-2013, 01:24 AM
Refer to: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/184421-ideal-protein-diet-faq.html and the PDF attachments posted by Kira - about 5 posts from the top. All the info you need for phase one.

As for Green beans:

Green beans are an "occasional" veggie, which means you can only eat them (or a combination of them and any other occasional veggie, only 2 times a week. So yes, you can have 2 cups at a time, but only 2 times a week, as long as you don't have any other restricted veggies.

And yes, you can combine veggies to make up your 2 or 4 cups. Green beans, and everything on the "occasional" veggie list are higher in carbs than the Select veggies, which you can eat daily, up to 4 cups.

Lettuce (any kind) and spinach are "eat all you want" veggies...you don't have to stop at 4 cups and can eat as much as you want for 'filler' if you're hungry.

My coach (some don't agree) also said, celery, cucumber and dill pickles are "eat all you want" veggies, too.

Vegetables
Select: Algae, Alfalfa, Asparagus, Arugula, Broccoli, Bean Sprouts, Cauliflower, Cabbage (red, pak choi, bok choy), Celery,
Celeriac, Chicory, Collards, Cress, Cucumbers, Dill Pickles, Endive, Fennel, Field Salad, Green Onions, Green Bell Peppers
(cooked) , Kale, Kohlrabi, Leeks, Mushrooms, Okra, Onions (raw only), Hot Peppers, Radicchio, Radish, Rhubarb,
Sauerkraut, Soya, Sorrel, Spinach, Swiss Chard, Turnip, Watercress, Zucchini

Occasional (You may choose two items only per week from this list): Brussels Sprouts, Beans (Green & Wax),
Eggplant, Palm Hearts, Peppers (all colors other then green - cooked) Rutabaga, Snow Peas, Swede, Tomato

Not permitted: Artichoke, Avocado, Beets, Carrots, Chick Peas, Corn, Parsnips, Peas, (all) Potatoes, Pumpkin, Sweet Corn,
Squash, Yams

IdealProteinNewbie
03-12-2013, 09:45 AM
My coach said occasional veggies (brussels sprouts, green beans, eggplant, palm hearts, peppers, snow peas, swede, tomatoes) are limited to 1 cup twice per week.

Also, the only unlimited thing allowed, for me, is romaine, iceberg, butter and boston lettuces.

Spinach, dill pickles, and celery are clearly listed under the 'select' veggie list.

pinkeetoz
03-12-2013, 11:51 AM
I appreciate the feedback ladies. Thank you!

I am on day 8...Go me :D

pocahontas812
03-12-2013, 11:53 AM
Refer to: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/184421-ideal-protein-diet-faq.html and the PDF attachments posted by Kira - about 5 posts from the top. All the info you need for phase one.

As for Green beans:

Green beans are an "occasional" veggie, which means you can only eat them (or a combination of them and any other occasional veggie, only 2 times a week. So yes, you can have 2 cups at a time, but only 2 times a week, as long as you don't have any other restricted veggies.

And yes, you can combine veggies to make up your 2 or 4 cups. Green beans, and everything on the "occasional" veggie list are higher in carbs than the Select veggies, which you can eat daily, up to 4 cups.

Lettuce (any kind) and spinach are "eat all you want" veggies...you don't have to stop at 4 cups and can eat as much as you want for 'filler' if you're hungry.

My coach (some don't agree) also said, celery, cucumber and dill pickles are "eat all you want" veggies, too.

Vegetables
Select: Algae, Alfalfa, Asparagus, Arugula, Broccoli, Bean Sprouts, Cauliflower, Cabbage (red, pak choi, bok choy), Celery,
Celeriac, Chicory, Collards, Cress, Cucumbers, Dill Pickles, Endive, Fennel, Field Salad, Green Onions, Green Bell Peppers
(cooked) , Kale, Kohlrabi, Leeks, Mushrooms, Okra, Onions (raw only), Hot Peppers, Radicchio, Radish, Rhubarb,
Sauerkraut, Soya, Sorrel, Spinach, Swiss Chard, Turnip, Watercress, Zucchini

Occasional (You may choose two items only per week from this list): Brussels Sprouts, Beans (Green & Wax),
Eggplant, Palm Hearts, Peppers (all colors other then green - cooked) Rutabaga, Snow Peas, Swede, Tomato

Not permitted: Artichoke, Avocado, Beets, Carrots, Chick Peas, Corn, Parsnips, Peas, (all) Potatoes, Pumpkin, Sweet Corn,
Squash, Yams

Be careful, that is a very old Phase 1 sheet (the post was from 2009). For example, it lists peppers (all colors other than green-cooked) as an occasional veggie. The June 2012 sheet is the most current, and peppers (all) are considered a select veggie. Spinach is also a select veggie, not unlimited.

My coach said occasional veggies (brussels sprouts, green beans, eggplant, palm hearts, peppers, snow peas, swede, tomatoes) are limited to 1 cup twice per week.

Also, the only unlimited thing allowed, for me, is romaine, iceberg, butter and boston lettuces.

Spinach, dill pickles, and celery are clearly listed under the 'select' veggie list.

My coach never added further limitations to the occasional veggie guideline (You may choose two items only per week from this list). There have been a few days where I have eaten 3-4 cups of brussels sprouts. I have not had an issue with weight loss.

DannaA
03-12-2013, 01:10 PM
Thank goodness we can have all the peppers now! I was really missing some colour on my plate and green is already my least favourite colour! :)

IdealProteinNewbie
03-12-2013, 01:31 PM
My coach never added further limitations to the occasional veggie guideline (You may choose two items only per week from this list). There have been a few days where I have eaten 3-4 cups of brussels sprouts. I have not had an issue with weight loss.

I'm glad that works for you, brussel sprouts are my favorite veggie. I would eat them every single day if allowed!

However, I'm sticking to the advice of my coach.

leannekarella
03-12-2013, 01:36 PM
There was a post to the daily threads the other day...
Spinach can now be used like lettuce... There are new guidelines that have not been published yet.

I also, personally, have been eating bell peppers - all colors - as a select veggie since day 1.

And as I said in my original post, it was MY coach that said celery, cucumbers and pickles were unlimited. I have done that, I have lost weight. Other coaches don't say that.

I was answering the question why someone got upset about eating green beans...
Personally, I'm rather liberal with my veggies, and I eat more tomatoes than are "allowed".

cmk79
03-13-2013, 01:57 PM
Yeah, I think the info sheet is outdated because it also says you can only have raw onions, but I've been eating cooked onions and have had no problems with weight loss.

scorbett1103
03-13-2013, 05:57 PM
Yeah, I think the info sheet is outdated because it also says you can only have raw onions, but I've been eating cooked onions and have had no problems with weight loss.

That actually has more to do with the big difference in sugar content between a raw onion and a cooked/caramelized onion. It's not because the sheet is outdated. The most recent sheet (June 2012) still states raw onion.

A while back I had posted a link to a very good article explaining that ALL cooked onions do not have the long-chain sugars that we need to avoid in Phase 1. Only when they brown and are caramelized do they have those sugars.

So if you are eating cooked onions (translucent) but they are not browned, they are fine.

WorldTraveleronIP
03-13-2013, 06:06 PM
Only when they brown and are caramelized do they have those sugars.

So if you are eating cooked onions (translucent) but they are not browned, they are fine.

Good to know; I have been afraid of cooked onions. Thank you for all of your valuable info!!

DJ72
03-13-2013, 06:47 PM
Thanks for clearing the onion thing up Scorbett!

IP43
03-13-2013, 08:06 PM
As for spinach, there may be new guidelines coming, but the rationale for that one has to do with acidity. It's why the vinegars and diet pop etc. are also no-nos. This is an alkaline diet, and some food - like spinach- affect the acidity levels. Since this is a 'science recipe' diet, all those things are factors. That's why we try not to fix/tweak too many things until you understanding the "why" of things. I was drinking diet cola last summer thinking it was 0/0/0/ but now that I get the "acid" part, I understand why it's not allowed.

pinkeetoz
03-14-2013, 04:54 PM
Wow, I've been using vinegar daily as a seasoning for my food. On the old sheet it says it is fine. Haven't weight since I started the diet and today is 9. guess I will go pull out the scale and see if I've messed up.

lisa32989
03-14-2013, 04:57 PM
You can have vinegar, just not balsamic vinegar (which is sweeter) or red wine vinegar. Apple cider vinegar and white vinegar are on the p1 sheet as condiments

pinkeetoz
03-14-2013, 04:58 PM
My mistake, I've been on the diet for 10 days and I am down 5 lbs. Is this a good loss for ten days?

leannekarella
03-14-2013, 05:00 PM
My mistake, I've been on the diet for 10 days and I am down 5 lbs. Is this a good loss for ten days?

That is FANTASTIC!!!!:carrot:

pinkeetoz
03-14-2013, 05:24 PM
Thank you, Leann. Actually I am a little disappointed bc I have read others lose more by this time.

Question is, can we have apple cider vinegar or not? I have been using this daily.

lisa32989
03-14-2013, 05:27 PM
Thank you, Leann. Actually I am a little disappointed bc I have read others lose more by this time.

Question is, can we have apple cider vinegar or not? I have been using this daily.

Yes!

pinkeetoz
03-14-2013, 05:32 PM
Thank you, Lisa.

ladylunk
03-14-2013, 06:22 PM
Can we have malt vinegar?

scorbett1103
03-14-2013, 06:25 PM
Can we have malt vinegar?

You need to check the labels VERY carefully, and treat it as one of your "extras" like sweetener and drink mixes. There are some Malt vinegars that are 0/0/0 according to the labels, but because of the malt there will be trace carbs.

lisa32989
03-14-2013, 07:50 PM
The p1 protocol sheet says Apple Cider Vinegar and white vinegar
Do you ladies have the P1 sheet?

SylviesGirl
03-14-2013, 08:01 PM
Okay, not to send anyone over the edge or anything, but what about sauerkraut? Here's what confuses me. YES, it is on the sheet as a select veggie, BUT I thought all veggies were to be measured raw. Sauerkraut, by definition, is "cooked." So, is an IP serving of sauerkraut less than 2 cups to compensate??

Thanks.

leannekarella
03-14-2013, 09:25 PM
Okay, not to send anyone over the edge or anything, but what about sauerkraut? Here's what confuses me. YES, it is on the sheet as a select veggie, BUT I thought all veggies were to be measured raw. Sauerkraut, by definition, is "cooked." So, is an IP serving of sauerkraut less than 2 cups to compensate??

Thanks.

I measure it at it comes out of the jar. I really don't think I could eat 2 cups of it at a sitting without being ill, and I LOVE the stuff.

Also, watch the labels on Sauerkraut. Some of them have added sugar. Make sure you get one that doesn't have sugar/starches.

leannekarella
03-14-2013, 09:27 PM

You have to remember that EVERYONE is different. I've never lost over 2.5 lbs/week since day one. In fact, I think I only lost 1 lb on the first week. I was already low-carbing so I didn't have all that excess stored water weight that most people have.

You're doing great. Hang in there! And never, ever let the scale get you down. This diet WORKS so stick with it, even if you have a bad weigh in...your body is just adjusting, and there's SO many things that influence the scale on a daily basis.

lisa32989
03-14-2013, 09:37 PM
I measure it at it comes out of the jar. I really don't think I could eat 2 cups of it at a sitting without being ill, and I LOVE the stuff.

Also, watch the labels on Sauerkraut. Some of them have added sugar. Make sure you get one that doesn't have sugar/starches.
The ones I buy are naturally fermented. No added sugars/starches and not technically "cooked". I'm actually going to start making my own. Naturally fermented sauerkraut is a good source of natural digestive enzymes and probiotics. Super good for you and tastes totally different than the cooked/vinegar added kind.

ladylunk
03-14-2013, 09:45 PM
The p1 protocol sheet says Apple Cider Vinegar and white vinegar
Do you ladies have the P1 sheet?

Yes have a phase 1 sheet, but have seen people mention using malt vinegar on here and wondered if it is one of those extras that people get away with that is not on the sheet. Just thought I would ask since we were running through the types of vinegars.

leannekarella
03-14-2013, 09:46 PM
The ones I buy are naturally fermented. No added sugars/starches and not technically "cooked". I'm actually going to start making my own. Naturally fermented sauerkraut is a good source of natural digestive enzymes and probiotics. Super good for you and tastes totally different than the cooked/vinegar added kind.

Would you happen to have a brand name, Lisa? I'm very interested. :)

Halfagain
03-14-2013, 09:55 PM

I found some gourmet sauerkraut at whole foods that tastes almost as good as my Mom's. Ingredients cabbage and salt. I agree the cooked stuff really doesn't hold a candle to the fresh.http://eatthebestfoodintheworld.com/tag/pleasant-valley-farms/

lisa32989
03-14-2013, 09:55 PM
I buy a brand called Bubbies but I find others when I google natural sauerkraut

leannekarella
03-14-2013, 10:02 PM
I buy a brand called Bubbies but I find others when I google natural sauerkraut

Thank you I searched for Bubbies, and found a ton of grocery stores where I shop that carry it. Will pick some up next time I'm there.

SylviesGirl
03-15-2013, 09:32 AM

I do realize that sauerkraut is fermented and not heat-cooked, that is why I put "cooked" in quotes. That being said, sauerkraut cabbage is certainly more condensed than raw cabbage, hence my question.

As far as eating 2 cups in a sitting, I would not be interested in that, either, but even if you're measuring out 1/2 c., it is still important to know if there is a ratio involved as there is with crushed tomatoes, for instance.

lisa32989
03-15-2013, 09:56 AM
I do realize that sauerkraut is fermented and not heat-cooked, that is why I put "cooked" in quotes. That being said, sauerkraut cabbage is certainly more condensed than raw cabbage, hence my question.

As far as eating 2 cups in a sitting, I would not be interested in that, either, but even if you're measuring out 1/2 c., it is still important to know if there is a ratio involved as there is with crushed tomatoes, for instance.

Actually, a lot of commercial sauerkraut IS heat cooked (pasteurized). The ones with all the good stuff are just naturally fermented and not heated. Since sauerkraut is on the list as a select veggie, I go with select veggie measurements for it. And the non-pasteurized stuff is much more mild flavored (maybe due to lack of added vinegar?). I typically have about a cup and a cup of another veg.

KarinF
03-15-2013, 01:04 PM
Does anyone have the new phase sheets? The only ones I have are the 2009 I believe....

Thanks for sharing

scorbett1103
03-15-2013, 01:07 PM
Does anyone have the new phase sheets? The only ones I have are the 2009 I believe....

Thanks for sharing

The Phase 1 sheet from June 2012 is posted in the Newbie sticky thread at the top of the forum.

SylviesGirl
03-15-2013, 04:03 PM
The Phase 1 sheet from June 2012 is posted in the Newbie sticky thread at the top of the forum.

I found and printed off the latest Phase I sheet, but that was back before I started IP, and I was reading all those threads from start to finish. Isn't it buried somewhere in that long thread? If it is, that is what I think is confusing people, because the first one you come across is from 2009. Is the latest sheet anywhere more convenient?

I am not complaining, mind you. I would be nowhere if not for all the info on this particular forum. I volunteer to upload my copy to be posted somewhere more obvious in order to reduce confusion. I am not sure if that would be okay or not. The sheet I am referring to is dated 6/12/12.

Just let me know. Thanks.

scorbett1103
03-15-2013, 05:05 PM
I found and printed off the latest Phase I sheet, but that was back before I started IP, and I was reading all those threads from start to finish. Isn't it buried somewhere in that long thread? If it is, that is what I think is confusing people, because the first one you come across is from 2009. Is the latest sheet anywhere more convenient?

I am not complaining, mind you. I would be nowhere if not for all the info on this particular forum. I volunteer to upload my copy to be posted somewhere more obvious in order to reduce confusion. I am not sure if that would be okay or not. The sheet I am referring to is dated 6/12/12.

Just let me know. Thanks.

Maybe it was different when you were here before - but the Newbie thread at the very top of the forum is only 4 pages long, and the Phase 1 sheet is on the first page, about halfway down.

KarinF
03-15-2013, 07:59 PM
Maybe it was different when you were here before - but the Newbie thread at the very top of the forum is only 4 pages long, and the Phase 1 sheet is on the first page, about halfway down.

Found it right where you said scorbett. Thank you