Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #1  
Where is Onederland???

S/C/G: 301/295/148

Height: 5'9

Default I feel like giving up...

So I started out ok, my first week weign was -6 lbs this pat Tues. (doing WW). Then I got on a scale at work and gained 4 pounds back! I am trying so hard I am so discouraged...

I weigh like 299 now and I just feel like giving up because it's too much. I got a referral from my Dr. for WLS a few months back but I wanted to try on my own. I don't even want to WEIGH in this week. I think I will just see the surgeon for the first consult. I can't do it.

Even if I lost a pound a week for the next year I would still be obese.

*Sigh*

Last edited by MrsYoung0601; 03-11-2013 at 08:08 PM.
MrsYoung0601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #2  
Warrior Princess

I've never been obese so I can't really sympathize with how you feel but I would give it more than a week before resorting to surgery. My first week I shot up 4 pounds (I freaked out!) but that soon came off. Patience. I would keep going.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #3  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

It takes as long as it takes. Stick with it MrsYoung, time is on your side. Trust me, when you are 10 pounds down in ten weeks time you will feel great!

I feel fantastic and look great right now, even with my stage II/severe obesity! Compared to where I was. Bring it on!

Last edited by IanG; 03-11-2013 at 08:47 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #4  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Quote:
So I started out ok, my first week weign was -6 lbs this pat Tues. (doing WW). Then I got on a scale at work and gained 4 pounds back! I am trying so hard I am so discouraged...
Number one, you fluctuate a few pounds daily. I can show you my daily weigh in graph and trust me, it's spikey! Number 2, every scale weighs different. I have two right now and my new one weighs me a pound lighter. Did I really lose a pound? No. If the numbers are affecting you this much, you need to weight only at your meeting. You should try to weigh in during the same circumstances (ie wearing the same clothes/weight of clothes, bladder empty, etc). When I went to WW meetings I usually had a very light light breakfast, would go to bathroom at the Walmart near to empty everything out, and always wore the same clothes. I weigh at home usually in my pjs (it's too cold to be buck naked!). No matter when you weigh in, if you just ate/drank, you will have an up on the scale. I think today I weighed in at 235 and drank something...bam! 236. Am I failing at my weight loss? Nope. My stomach has fluid/food in it!

This is my daily graph for the month of February. Weight loss has spikes. It's not a smooth gradient.

Trust me, even if you are still in the obese category, you will LOOK and FEEL so much better. I started WW at 298 and stopped at 212. This year, my only goal is to get back to 212. Screw a final goal. I just want 212. Trust me, I looked amazing at 212 versus 298!

Even if you really did gain the weight, it won't take as long to get rid of it. See that graph? That huge jump was 10 pounds of extra weight cause I was binging most the week. Did I let that push me back? Nope. I refreshed, renewed and feeling great! So, maybe you have been a little lax this week. Start fresh tomorrow. Make sure you are eating within the good health guidelines. Eat more vegs/fruits. Drink less sugary drinks and above all: TRACK every bite.

YOU CAN DO THIS.

I don't know about you but within 5 lbs and eating healthier, my heartburn is gone and my tummy is never upset. I'll take that. Within 10 pounds being lost, my knees feel a bunch better.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #5  

Mrs. Young, my husband at his highest was 507 pounds. It took him 3 years but he took off 100 pounds. Feeling like he was getting no where fast he had a gastric bypass surgery and got amazingly quick results. He was at 299 within 6 months of his surgery. Then, he started eating the wrong foods again. Sneaking foods from me, hiding them. Drinking a lot of his calories through juice. Today he weighs 340 pounds. Surgery is not the 'fix-all' that you think it is. It's a tool to help with weight loss but it's not going to keep you skinny forever. You have to do that. Your choices. Your exercise routines. Your food choices.

My number one recommendation to you is this: Get your eating under control before you have the surgery.

I hope this didn't come out to preachy....I'm just trying to be honest.
Kaitie9399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsYoung0601 View Post

I weigh like 299 now and I just feel like giving up because it's too much. I got a referral from my Dr. for WLS a few months back but I wanted to try on my own. I don't even want to WEIGH in this week. I think I will just see the surgeon for the first consult. I can't do it.

*Sigh*
Aw sweetie, don't give up! You CAN do this and it does work; you just have to keep at it. Please give yourself a little more time. Maybe see where you are one month from today.
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 240/216/140

Height: 5'3"

Hey friend! I hate having days like that. You think it's possible the work scale is off? My scale is different than my mom's. Hers shows me 5 lbs less. Time of day, water retention, and stress can affect it to. When you feel like giving up, dig down deep and find even just a thread of strength. Hold on tight and build it up. With every step it gets stronger and easier to find.

WLS May seem the way to go right now, but brings a whole new sets of obstacles to overcome. Some of them the same as what you are experiencing now. Can you face those 100%?
You can do this! Take it one small step, one small hurdle, one small triumph at a time. You're gonna get there!
SweetAsCanBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #8  
Where is Onederland???

S/C/G: 301/295/148

Height: 5'9

Thanks all...

I do know that WLS is not a quick fix. It's a huge commitment and not magic by any means.

I guess deep down I don't want to do it. My husband is against it, he doesn't like the idea of me having surgery in case there are complications. He's also in great shape, never been overweight in his life, plus he's a mover for a living so he can pretty much throw a refrigerator (I wish he would throw ours somewhere...ha ha)
He is also, objectively of course, very handsome. I feel like sometimes people are looking like "Why is he with that fat lady?" He would never make me feel bad or anything, but I am terribly self concious.

I just don't want to die trying, you know? I'm not even thirty. This sucks, and I am so alone in this.

To the person who feared sounding preachy, no worries. I need to hear the truth, no matter what it is. Also, I am doing WW alone, I work in health care (what a joke!) and we have a medical/dr's scale in the ladies. I only use that scale so I don't get confused.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time out of your day to reply. It really means a lot.
MrsYoung0601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #9  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Guess what, the same amount of time will pass regardless of whether you choose or choose not to lose weight. Let's say you lose a lb a week for a year. If you can do that, you can certainly do 2 years. Don't wait until your 40's like me.

That time goes by way faster than you think it will. I guarantee you won't say, boy, I've only lost half my weight this year, I wish I had never started.

Last edited by Vex; 03-11-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #10  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

I would defiantly only weigh in once a week. There is a WW forum here. Support while losing weight is imperative. Posting on 3FC keeps me sane and accountable. Although I personally post the most in 100 pound club. I'd also recommend Beck Diet Solution which you can do with WW. It's a mind-psychology book on dieting/weight loss the healthy way. If you have binging issues, I'd also recommend Full-Filled. I've lost 22ish pounds and I work night shift/tons of overtime. I do WW online. If I can do it, you can too! Also, there is a signature floating around here that says, "Being fat is hard. Losing weight is hard. Choose your hard." So true! If anything, I'd suggest making a list of reasons why you want to lose weight and read those daily (when you wake up and before you go to bed. Heck, read them before you eat). But please give this more than a week. Give it more than a few weeks. Just keep trying.

Also:
(I love scrolling through tumblr for motivation)

Quote:
I am so alone in this.
And you are not alone! 3FC has hundreds of people trying to do this. You have our support, help and companionship in this!

Last edited by Daimere; 03-11-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #11  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

You can do this! Good luck!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

HEY! This relates to my quote of the day! I was bummed I went up a pound and then I got the quote. Put a smile on my face and made me realize I can do this. you can do this hun! Hang in there!!

“Don’t let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might as well put that passing time to the best possible use.” ~Earl Nightingale

Last edited by zoesmom; 03-11-2013 at 09:51 PM.
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #13  

MrsYoung, I agree with all the others who are telling you to hang in there!

I also agree you should not weigh more than once a week. I only weigh once a month, but if you're doing WW that's really not an option (unless you're doing it online, I suppose). But definitely no more than once a week, at the same time, under the same conditions.

The time will pass whether you stick with it or not. Better to keep on trying than to look back six months from now and say "if only I'd stayed with the program I would have lost some weight." So what if it's 15 lbs? Maybe it will be 30! But it will be more weight loss than if you don't do anything, right?
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

Ms. Young!! You can totally do this!! And even if you do WLS (ain't nuthin' wrong with that!), they'll probably make you go on a plan, and stay with it for a bit first.

It's funny--I think a LOT of people in healthcare deal with weight! A quick way to take care of other people-while trying to meet your own needs on the fly--is just to eat a bunch of carbs for energy.
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:00 PM   #15  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

from another WW person!

Scales, GAHHHHH! For now, I would recommend you stick to the WW once a week weigh in and stay off of other scales. They can differ a lot for a lot of reasons.

If you do feel the need to weigh yourself other than at your official WW weigh in, go out and buy yourself a GOOD digital scale, weigh at the same time, same clothes or not, log it and, use it and your food and exercise tracking tools as feed back to help you learn how your body responds.

I don't have anything against weight loss surgery, it can be a life saving tool, but in the long run, you will still have to deal with the mental aspect of why you ended up where you are.

I have lost and gained over the years, rinse and repeat, and repeat! The last time I made up my mind, to do this, and stick with it, I had to redefine my idea of normal. Normal food, normal exercise, etc. I finally realized that if I want to lose it and keep if off, I will always have to be mindful of what I do.

And it takes a ton of patience and commitment, and perserverance. It took me 2 months to lose the last 5 pounds!

But, along this journey, I realized, I AM WORTH IT! I DESERVE IT. YOU ARE WORTH IT AND YOU DESERVE IT!

The journey is worth it! Grab that bull by the horns and DO NOT LET GO! Some days will be smooth sailing, and some days, you're gonna get bucked off, pick your self up, dust yourself off and move on!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote