Ideal Protein Diet - Traveling to Australia, international travel advice and declaring food

Katkat
03-11-2013, 08:43 PM
I did not want to write this in the travel forum or in daily chat because Hopefully someone that could help me won't miss my post.

Leaving for Australia on the 27th for almost 2 weeks. Apparently they are SUPER strict on what you bring into country and I must declare any prepackaged foods and they will inspect and may not let me keep it. Has anyone travelled with IP food internationally and had experience with having there stuff inspected or taken away? I am really worried because I thought I would have no problem if I juat checked it in my bag. There is no IP clinic where I am going so I can't buy food there. I would just be so upset if they take away 2 weeks worth of food, and of course I must stay 100% OP

Hopefully ninja nurse will see this as I know she was worried about going to Ireland with IP food, but not sure Ireland is as strict as AUS.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Tailwinds
03-11-2013, 09:42 PM
You can contact the Australian DAFF (Department of Agricutlure, Fisheries and Forestry):

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/travel/entering-australia/cant-take (Scroll down to links to their regional offices. Probably best to call the one where your plane is landing.)

From the same page:

Declare it

The following is not a complete list of items that you must declare on arrival. In many cases items you declare will be returned to you after inspection.

Some may be allowed in if accompanied by an Import Permit (issued by DAFF before your arrival) or with treatment in Australia (fees and charges apply). Alternatively you can drop them in quarantine bins at the airport.
[expand all]
collapse sectionFood

airline food and snacks
commercially prepared, cooked and raw food and ingredients
dried fruit and vegetables
instant noodles and rice
packaged meals
herbs and spices
herbal and traditional medicines, remedies, tonics and herbal teas
snack foods

Katkat
03-11-2013, 10:43 PM
It's through that site that I found out it was strict. Had no luck calling the numbers. That's why I was hoping someone had some international travel experience on IP.
Thank you tho.

bubbleblower
03-11-2013, 10:53 PM
I travel internationally routinely and have never had an issue with my IP foods. That said, I've never tried to take any into Australia. From the wording on the site it does sound like they're probably pretty strict and it would be best to call first. Even if you have to declare the food, it should be returned to you.

Tailwinds
03-11-2013, 11:03 PM
What is your (air)port of entry. I have a friend in Australia, a journalist who travels a lot and otherwise knows something about pretty much everything. Maybe he could help if you don't get an answer here.

Katkat
03-11-2013, 11:12 PM
I am going to fly into Sydney first and then cairns. Thanks so much!!

Tailwinds
03-11-2013, 11:26 PM
Before I write to him, when you called, did you take into account the time difference to be sure you were calling during Sydney office hours, or whatever time zone the office you were calling was in?

I know I'm asking the obvious and you probably did, but my friend is really busy so I just want to be sure before asking him.

Katkat
03-11-2013, 11:53 PM
To be more specific kingsford smith airport (Sydney) and cairns airport

Tailwinds
03-11-2013, 11:58 PM
That is the major/international airport in Sydney.

Did you see my question above about when you tried to call DAFF?

Katkat
03-12-2013, 12:25 AM
Oh sorry, I missed that question. I called a couple weeks ago and I believe it was during business hours. The reason I haven't continued to call is because of cost. Was trying to find an appropriate email but couldn't find one to that specific office.

Oh, and I am also trying to see if my coach can get my a note from the doctor that oversees the IP program he runs. Maybe if I had a dr's note they would be more ok with me traveling with packets?

Tailwinds
03-12-2013, 01:08 AM
Just emailed him and will let you know when I hear back.

One option might be to ask the manufacturer what they suggest. Perhaps you can order food from an Australian distributor and have it mailed to where you will be.

petchef
03-12-2013, 02:20 AM
I found this center in Sydney, http://rite4life.com.au/contact/. Maybe they will ship a package to your location if you explain the situation. Initially I thought you might try shipping a package from here via UPS, but based on the import restrictions, I think it would be risky to try and mail it from the US. They even prohibit dried egg products and cake mixes. Allowed food can be quarantined up to 30 days. Found this document: www.daff.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/1147682/cant-mail.pdf

Tailwinds
03-12-2013, 02:46 AM
Just heard back from my friend. I think there is no way to know for sure and would recommend ordering from a distributor within Australia.

Now I have a question: are IP centers not allowed to sell food to people who are not their weight loss clients? I don't understand why there is even a question as to whether you can purchase from another center while traveling.

I really think the best thing you can do is to call Canada.

Katkat
03-12-2013, 09:37 AM
Sounds like I am completely out of luck. I cannot ship from Canada because shipping restrictions are also pretty strict. And as for a center there, the problem is for 2 days I am staying 1.5hrs away from Sydney (for wedding), then flying to cairns for 4 days and then back to Sydney. I won't have a car and when I contacted the hotels to see if they would hold something that was shipped (from clinic in Sydney) they said they couldn't be responsible for holding a package. They were very nice about it and I understand. I don't want to go off program for anything and I didn't realize how strict Australia was. My coach still hasn't gotten back to me about a dr's note.

Thanks for all the feedback. Guess I will just have to take my chances.

ragdoll74
03-12-2013, 09:42 AM
Have you considered phasing off for your trip and then going back on phase 1 when you return?

Katkat
03-12-2013, 10:44 AM
Have you considered phasing off for your trip and then going back on phase 1 when you return?

In all honesty I didn't consider that an option. I would rather not, but hopefully I can get in to see my coach today.
I contacted the clinic in Sydney and see what advice they could give me, or if they could mail me some stuff to the hotel. I hope they can help.

Alaskagirl92128
03-12-2013, 01:12 PM
Try getting a notarized note from your physician and have him write down medically necessary dietary supplements.

LosingLawyer
03-12-2013, 01:27 PM
If you can't get IP food (either bringing it or from the clinic in Sydney), what about picking up some alternatives there? I'm sure there has to be a protein powder or something comparable.

If you can't find alternatives, DON'T SWEAT IT! Honestly, don't ruin your trip because you are stressed and worried about staying 100% OP. Just because you don't have packets doesn't mean you have to eat massive amounts of carbs and derail your progress. You can eat very low carb and stay in ketosis without the packets. Eggs and veggies for breakfast, salad with veggies and tuna or another protein for lunch, same type of dinner as you normally eat and hardboiled egg for snack (or perhaps a 1 oz piece of hard cheese or something similar). You will probably actually end up eating less carbs because you aren't eating all the packet carbs.

Good luck, and ENJOY your trip!

IdealProteinNewbie
03-12-2013, 01:41 PM
If you can't find alternatives, DON'T SWEAT IT! Honestly, don't ruin your trip because you are stressed and worried about staying 100% OP. Just because you don't have packets doesn't mean you have to eat massive amounts of carbs and derail your progress. You can eat very low carb and stay in ketosis without the packets. Eggs and veggies for breakfast, salad with veggies and tuna or another protein for lunch, same type of dinner as you normally eat and hardboiled egg for snack (or perhaps a 1 oz piece of hard cheese or something similar). You will probably actually end up eating less carbs because you aren't eating all the packet carbs.

Great advice!

I highlighted one area because it's so true. My friend was doing IP and forgot her lunch packet. She was eating lunch out and instead of just ordering a salad and veggies and eating her lunch packet later, she ordered pizza.

How she justified that to herself was beyond me!

Katkat
03-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Lol. Thanks all for the great advice. Yes I figured I could some how manage to just stay in ketosis on my own but I guess I am so good when things are structured I worry about not having that structure in a whole other country. But your definitely right, I'm not going to get stressed over this and ruin my trip. I will admit it would have been nice to save money by not spending it on food while there. So darn expensive as it is! Lol
I will definitely let you know how it all panned out in the end in case anyone ever goes to Australia on IP.
Thanks again to everyone!

JohnP
03-12-2013, 02:32 PM
This thread reflects of one my least favorite aspects of the IP diet.

The idea that one MUST stay on program.

The idea that one MUST stay in ketosis.

The idea that IP products are very special, and getting them through customs is very important.

Calories determine fat loss or gain. Not IP products. Not the IP protocol.

It seems to me that if you're determined to stay on the IP diet while traveling to australia (which to me seems like a good way to make a trip stressful and unpleasant) than you just need to eat meat and low starch veggies while there. When you get there pick up some whey protein to supplement. (Pack a couple shake bottles)

My opinion is that unless you're travelling the world all the time you should just use the time to practice eating sensibly and smaller portions. Enjoy the trip. IP will still be waiting when you get back.

petchef
03-12-2013, 02:39 PM
I found a wellness/health store in Sydney that carries these bars, http://www.nutritionwarehouse.com.au/wanted-bars-by-slim-secrets-c-70-p-1-pr-1294.html. I took a quick look at the nutritional profile. You could have two of these bars at a time and be pretty close to a single IP bar. In fact, they look pretty darn yummy and have fiber (which is low in a lot of the IP restricteds) -- wish I could try them! Nutrition Warehouse has a lot of protein powder choices as well. You could order online here, and I'll bet they'll send a package over to your hotel. They do next day delivery, so you could ask them to deliver on the day of your arrival.

I would do phase II while you're on vacation and focus on maintaining the weight you're at now. I went to Australia about 12 years ago -- Melbourne, Sydney, Cairnes, and Heron Island. They have incredible, fresh seafood, including varieties that we don't have here. You'll want to experience the whole thing, including the food! The best Thai food I've ever had was in Melbourne. Australia has a lot of ethnic communities that use many types of vegetables in their cooking. You'll have plenty of choices.

If you have some bars and protein packets from the store noted above, and your shaker with you, you can do breakfast in your room, a phase II lunch and dinner, and an appropriate bar snack in afternoon or evening. If you're doing a lot of physical activity, snorkeling, hiking, etc. an extra bar, especially one of these small ones would probably be a good idea.

This is a trip of a lifetime. Enjoy every minute of it!

Ishbel
03-12-2013, 03:08 PM
I went to England and Scotland with IP packets - I was on Phase 4 while there so they were used for supplementation. It was helpful to not spend 40 pounds on a meal sometimes! :)

I did phase off (near the end of my Phase 1) to go to Mexico for a week and was determined to be 100% when I got back. The rule in my head was when the plane lifts off your Phase 4 when the plane lands you're Phase 1...did the same thing when I returned from Scotland to nip anything in the bud, took me 3 days of Phase 1 to get back to 'normal' fluctuation.

I am not sure of any rules and regulations with Australia but there are a few vacation threads out there. I started one and so did Jennydoodle. Search "vacation post" you might get both of ours.

Good Luck!!

Katkat
03-12-2013, 04:12 PM
This thread reflects of one my least favorite aspects of the IP diet.

The idea that one MUST stay on program.

The idea that one MUST stay in ketosis.

The idea that IP products are very special, and getting them through customs is very important.

Calories determine fat loss or gain. Not IP products. Not the IP protocol.

It seems to me that if you're determined to stay on the IP diet while traveling to australia (which to me seems like a good way to make a trip stressful and unpleasant) than you just need to eat meat and low starch veggies while there. When you get there pick up some whey protein to supplement. (Pack a couple shake bottles)

My opinion is that unless you're travelling the world all the time you should just use the time to practice eating sensibly and smaller portions. Enjoy the trip. IP will still be waiting when you get back.

I am very glad that you are such strong individual, and I applaud you for that, but the reason I asked for help and advice is because I am still very new to IP and yes, eventually I will be off. But as of right now I know myself and I don't think I will be quite strong enough, that may make me weak, but oh well. Believe me, I know IP will be there when I get back. I just wanted to know if anyone had dealt with Ip and going to australia. It would be a lot easier for me if I could travel with it, if not, I know I can just do protein and veggies.

And thank you PetChef and Ishbel for your advice!

psjones
03-12-2013, 04:28 PM
Have you contacted the Australian Embassy in the US for advice? Following a Customs link on the embassy website (http://www.usa.embassy.gov.au/whwh/home.html) lead me to phone numbers and an email address - information@customs.gov.au.

Katkat
03-12-2013, 05:33 PM
Have you contacted the Australian Embassy in the US for advice? Following a Customs link on the embassy website (http://www.usa.embassy.gov.au/whwh/home.html) lead me to phone numbers and an email address - information@customs.gov.au.

Wrote them an email today, hopefully they can give me a for sure answer. If not, I will just do this without IP packets and hope for the best. LOL

ladylunk
03-12-2013, 07:06 PM
If you can't get IP food (either bringing it or from the clinic in Sydney), what about picking up some alternatives there? I'm sure there has to be a protein powder or something comparable.

Good luck, and ENJOY your trip!

I agree good advice. Doesn't sound like it is worth the stress getting the IP food over there. Enjoy your trip! It's a pretty once in a lifetime opportunity and you don't want to be stressing about dieting. You don't have a huge amount of weight to lose I am sure you can get back into the swing of things when you get back. And you can be strict with yourself with the tips losinglawyer gave for your eating plan....or you can have fun. That's just me though. I am very easy going about the whole process and some will say do whatever you can to stay OP. I say have fun and live it up! I am so unresponsible....haha