Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 03-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/165/130

Height: 5"5

Default Celexa

Hey ya'll! Wanted to see if anyone here has had any experience on Celexa. I know everyone is different, but I am wondering if anyone has experienced weight gain/loss on Celexa? I am about to switch off it actually, since I have had TERRIBLE night sweats.

Also looking for any recommendations for a good low grade anti-depressant/anti-anxiety medication. I have taken a few but really need to switch, because this waking up drenched in sweat thing is getting OLD! But I do know that I need something to help level me out...

Any suggestions?

Last edited by CatoftheCanals; 03-11-2013 at 07:11 PM.
CatoftheCanals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #2  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

I've been on Celexa for years, since my youngest was born. My side effects went away after six months. I didn't gain weight on it, and I can't attribute my weight loss to it, either.

Lexapro is close, too.
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/165/130

Did you have night sweats, too? I find that other than that, I am having pretty intense mood swings still. Worse than before I was on it!
CatoftheCanals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 249.2 / 199.2 / 140

Height: 5'5"

Everyone is so different, as you said. I had a lot of unexplained weight gain on Celexa. As far as my mood, Celexa plus Abilify worked very well for me. No night sweats though.
Kal El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 246/246/135

Height: 5'6

My fiance is on celexa and has not gained or lost weight on it, but he has a lapband so his circumstance is different. I'm on Zoloft and did experience night sweats, it was awful! It did go away eventually, like most side effects.
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:53 AM   #6  

Default Celexa side effects

I stopped taking Celexa about two months ago, after taking it for approximately two years. The only side effect that immediately comes to mind is weight gain. I'm bigger now than I ever thought possible! I craved carbs like nobody's business! Since coming off Celexa, I've lost around 15 pounds by counting calories. I also remember having hot flashes pretty often...I haven't had hot flashes since quitting the meds.
april1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:27 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 180/177/125

Celexa was the 2nd antidepressant I was ever put on. I didn't lose any weight on it, but I know that it changed my digestive system and slowed down my motility rate. I started getting a tummy on Zoloft, but on Celexa I think I was still gaining weight. I don't really remember the numbers though. It also made me more sleepy.

Effexor works at the right dosage for my moods and serotonin levels, but it had no affect on my dopamine or norepinephrine levels (I had a testing kit from my PMHNP). I also have also gained more weight while on it. I am trying to improve my moods more naturally, because they say exercise can be just as effective as antidepressants, but I have yet to reach this point.

There are different aspects of depression for each person, so when comparing antidepressants, not only do Psychiatrists know more (but look at it more-so like what specific symptoms you discuss and in a way that only treats those), but it also has to do with what characteristics your moods, anxiety, ADD, etc. have and what effects they have in preventing you from living the life you want and need.
Alicia546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 172/162/145

Height: 5'6"

I started taking Citalopram (Celexa) in Nov. 2012 and by the end of December I had lost about 8 lbs. with diet and exercise. I haven't been tracking my calories and exercise so now I am 2 lbs. more than when I started taking Celexa about 4 months ago - that is why I came back to 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet. I need the encouragement, weight loss with depression/anxiety can be pretty tough. Good luck with your weight loss everyone! (I am on 20 mg/day for anxiety, take it at 8:30 p.m. every night, and side effects went away after about 2 months)
Tigerlilly6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 275/264/160

Height: 5 ft 9 inches

I am another who was on Citalopram (Celexa) for approximately three years. After working for a naturopath, she weaned me off it and put me on something natural called Pascoeflair (its got passionflower in it and works wonders). I found that on Celexa it worked pretty much right away and I lost weight on it as well. I just decided that after a few years I no longer wanted to be on a prescribed medication and that all natural was the better path for me. Prior to that I had been on Amitriptyline....now that was a horrible experience....I was in a zombie state all the time. I used to commute from Oshawa to Toronto for work and I dont even remember getting into my car and driving to and from work....heck, I dont even remember the work day. I would never recommend that drug to anyone, even my worst enemy, lol. I find with the all natural stuff and weight watchers it is easier for me to lose weight....oh and lots of exercise, lol.
Missys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:39 PM   #10  

I was on Lexapro and switched to Celexa due to cheaper cost. I found Lexapro seemed a little too strong for me. I had a lot of jaw grinding on Lexapro, and I think 10 pounds of my weight was due to the increased appetite on Lex.

I started Celexa instead of Lex, and I've lost 8 pounds in the last 2 weeks or so! My jaw grinding seems to have gone down too.
cantstopgaining is offline   Reply With Quote