WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Old 03-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #1  
Slender Nerdess Inside...

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/140

Height: 5'0"

Default Calculating Activity Points on Pedometer

I downloaded a pedometer app on my iphone, but I have not idea how to calculate steps into activity points for weight watchers. Does anyone have a formula or a ruleof thumb? I really don't want to have to buy the WW pedometer. Any help is appreciated!
tehshort1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #2  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

First let me say I'm not doing WW, but I have in the past, so I'm somewhat familiar with how they do things when it comes to counting points... But how I would look at it would be like this... I estimate 2000 steps to be the equivalent of 1 mile... since 10,000 steps is approximately equal to 5 miles... So what I would do would be to take how ever many steps that your pedometer says that you have taken and convert that into an estimate of how many miles you have covered.... So if you if you walked 10,000 steps for instance then I would input 5 miles of walking (at whatever intensity you think you were doing) into the activity points calculator and use that...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #3  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I have WW pedometer and it gives me my first ap at around 7500 steps +/- a few. I think that has to do with short bursts of steps verseses longer stretches of steps. I could be wrong.

Anyway, at around 7500, you've met baseline for the day and then it starts giving you ap's.

Mine tells me the following

Fri. 15289=6ap 6.03 miles
Thur 15123=6 5.96mi
wed 14347=6 5.66mi
tue 10772=4 4.25mi
mon 11571=5 4.56mi

I divided total steps by total ap's.

So, you get an average of about 2485 steps/ap. Just keep in mind you have to get to 7500 before you can start counting them.

I have a very active job, so with just a bit of extra effort, the above stats are pretty average for me.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #4  
Slender Nerdess Inside...

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/140

Height: 5'0"

Thank you! Do you like the WW pedometer? Do you think it is something that would be worth getting? Do you find it helpful and/or encouraging?
tehshort1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:35 AM   #5  
Less of a Better Me

I thought that with steps you could go online and record your total steps and WW would calculate the number of activity points you earned (this assumes you do it online). I can't check myself since I use Active Link so I can't see the normal stuff that would be on the Activity page. But, I thought you could put in your steps and tell it this was for the full day and that would give you your APs.

Shcirerf if about right. Yesterday I walked about 6000 steps (I am also using a Fitbit). I did not meet my WW baseline for the day so earned no points.

As far as the WW pedometer - I bought one awhile back when I was going on a 2 week vacation where I would be walking a lot. The pedometer was nice in that you could see steps and points. I always put it on the full day setting where it measured all of my steps. When we were on vacation this worked great for me because it allowed me easily calculate activity points in a situation where I was doing a lot of walking (I came back from the 2 week vacation with a 2 pound loss so it worked great).

The things I didn't like about it:

It only measured steps and not other types of activity. For other stuff I have used the WW active Link and now have a Fitbit. I prefer the Fitbit. I love that it counts steps and other forms of activity too. Anyway, back to the pedometer. It supposedly had a button where if you were going to be in a car you could turn it off so it didn't count extra steps. However, this often didn't work well and it would somehow turn itself back on. The WW pedometer is fairly bulky and its slip didn't stay clipped on very well. I used it with a pedometer leach so I never lost it but I often found it just dangling as it came unclipped. That said, I did find it helpful and motivating. I just find out of all 3 of them (pedometer, active link and Fitbit) that I get a lot more motivation through the Fitbit (but it is more costly than the pedometer).

Last edited by Koshka; 03-11-2013 at 02:36 AM.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:38 AM   #6  
Less of a Better Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
I estimate 2000 steps to be the equivalent of 1 mile... since 10,000 steps is approximately equal to 5 miles... So what I would do would be to take how ever many steps that your pedometer says that you have taken and convert that into an estimate of how many miles you have covered....
I suggest testing for yourself how many steps are a mile. For me it is between 2350 and 2400 for me to walk a mile.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote