Old 03-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Default The March birthday party - a family gathering.

Yesterday was a long day. A three hour drive took us to the family March birthday party. Thirteen folks from three states gathered. Five of us have birthday's in March. It was so joyful. I loved it. I got to meet the newest cousin in the family. It couldn't have been a better day.

My food was so good at the party ... it was hard but I stayed with it & made excellent choices.

When we got home (three hour drive home) I felt like I was going to 'explode' if I didn't eat more. I wish I had gone to bed. I had a binge at midnight. What is wrong with me - that I am so ovecome with that desire to eat, just because I denied myself with overeating at a party. I feel frustrated and bewildered and a little bit hopeless about my food addiction.

I am 61 years old - Sometimes I feel like I am too old to ever conquer this food addiction. I just don't know. I'll try again today. I guess it's a setback.. but, not the end of the world. I'll plan for a healthy day. Sometimes I am weary of it all - but, I won't give up. I've come too far for that.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 03-10-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #2  

Congratulations on doing so well at the party, that's a huge accomplishment!!

Of course you were hungry when you got home, it was a 3 hour ride! It's hard to make good choices when it's late and we are hungry and exhausted. We have all been there, I know exactly how you feel.

Today is a new day and you can do this. I don't think this had anything to do with food addiction so no need to worry about that. Maybe next time you can bring snacks for the car ride (going and coming) to ward off any hunger.

I hope you have a nice day today, don't be too hard on yourself.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #3  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

I think it is about the "but I deserve it!" mentality. Because you deprived yourself earlier, you wanted to make up for it later. I had this happen the other day. My husband and I had some appointments to go to and there was a big gap between some. We planned on going out for dinner in between. At the last minute, we were able to arrange the appointments so that the gap in time was eliminated. Therefore, we went home and didn't go for dinner. I had saved calories that day in anticipation of eating out that night. I felt slightly disappointed that we didn't go, but also good that I would have a lower calorie day than expected. Well, the next day, I made cookies and must have eaten over a dozen! Did I feel entitled because I had missed out the night before? Yes, I think so. So all the calories I saved on the dinner went out the window. I'm not sure how to get past it, other than to have a lot of healthy snacks around when I feel a binge coming on....
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
Congratulations on doing so well at the party, that's a huge accomplishment!!

Of course you were hungry when you got home, it was a 3 hour ride! It's hard to make good choices when it's late and we are hungry and exhausted. We have all been there, I know exactly how you feel.

Today is a new day and you can do this. I don't think this had anything to do with food addiction so no need to worry about that. Maybe next time you can bring snacks for the car ride (going and coming) to ward off any hunger.

I hope you have a nice day today, don't be too hard on yourself.
Yes, it's true - it would have been a good idea to bring a snack for the ride.
Thanks for your kind thoughts!
Old 03-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by guacamole View Post
I think it is about the "but I deserve it!" mentality. Because you deprived yourself earlier, you wanted to make up for it later. I had this happen the other day. My husband and I had some appointments to go to and there was a big gap between some. We planned on going out for dinner in between. At the last minute, we were able to arrange the appointments so that the gap in time was eliminated. Therefore, we went home and didn't go for dinner. I had saved calories that day in anticipation of eating out that night. I felt slightly disappointed that we didn't go, but also good that I would have a lower calorie day than expected. Well, the next day, I made cookies and must have eaten over a dozen! Did I feel entitled because I had missed out the night before? Yes, I think so. So all the calories I saved on the dinner went out the window. I'm not sure how to get past it, other than to have a lot of healthy snacks around when I feel a binge coming on....
True... we all go through the 'I deserve it ' thought process for sure. Healthy planned snacks is a good idea. So simple and basic... however, I didn't do it. Phooey. Thanks so much.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 03-10-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I travel 2 hrs - 45 min each direction to visit family about once a month. Dad is 95, in nursing care but otherwise healthy, and my brothers live where he does. I usually drive there on Sat AM and home on Sun after Church. I've learned that the drive is my biggest enemy and take at least 3 apples with me for each direction. I realize 3 apples is a lot for one day, but what usually happens is that it's just so boring I only eat one. I always have a planned meal of leftovers waiting for me at home. No excuses about being rushed.

When I was losing (could it really be over 2 years since I started that journey?) I took one day at a time. When a day was done, it was simply done. If it was a bad day - it was done. If it was a good / great day - it was done. I tried really hard to stay away from "I was so good all day / week I can . . ." I figured that was the only way I was going to get through a year or so of "dieting" without feeling hopeless.

Maintenance is a bit different. I expect it to be forever so the same sense of hopelessness over the amount of time it takes is not there. Now I purposely will cut way back for a few days so I can indulge on special occasions. It just has to make sense that special occasions don't happen very often.

Good luck with getting into the mode that works for you. And remember - once the day is done, it's simply done.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #7  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by linJber View Post
When I was losing (could it really be over 2 years since I started that journey?) I took one day at a time. When a day was done, it was simply done. If it was a bad day - it was done. If it was a good / great day - it was done. I tried really hard to stay away from "I was so good all day / week I can . . ." I figured that was the only way I was going to get through a year or so of "dieting" without feeling hopeless.
Great point about both sides of this and that nothing that happens one day - good or bad - should be a reason to not stay on track the next day.

Beverly - sorry yesterday turned out to be a struggle, hope that you've been having a better day today!
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:59 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by linJber View Post

Such a good reminder. Thanks so much for helping me to move on from my Sunday night binge.

Also - I like the apple idea too.

Thanks again.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:02 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by April Snow View Post
Great point about both sides of this and that nothing that happens one day - good or bad - should be a reason to not stay on track the next day.

Beverly - sorry yesterday turned out to be a struggle, hope that you've been having a better day today!
Thanks so much, April Snow! Thanks for you kind and supportive thoughts. It's now Monday morning... I've woken with a better outlook. I got through yesterday fine. Thanks again.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:04 AM   #10  

I am always telling people to 'forgive themselves' when a binge happens. It's not so easy to follow my own advice.

Thanks to you all for all your thoughts. I got through yesterday with a healthy food day. I am grateful.

It's time for me to take my own advice. Also - think about what I would say to a good friend if the tables were turned.

I must treat myself as kindly as I would a good friend.

Thanks to you.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 03-11-2013 at 07:05 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 242/213/142

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverlyjoy View Post
I am always telling people to 'forgive themselves' when a binge happens. It's not so easy to follow my own advice.

Thanks to you all for all your thoughts. I got through yesterday with a healthy food day. I am grateful.

It's time for me to take my own advice. Also - think about what I would say to a good friend if the tables were turned.

I must treat myself as kindly as I would a good friend.

Thanks to you.
You said it! Forgetaboutit
Crystall is offline   Reply With Quote