Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - what are your favorite healthy/junk snack foods?

Alyssa Autopsy
03-09-2013, 06:53 PM
healthy
i love tuna (in water of course) with some olive oil mayo on cucumber slices,
and honey yoghurt (no hfcs or aspartame) with home-cooked berries.

the tuna is only 205 calories for a full can, 1 tbsp of mayo, and the cucumbers,
and the yoghurt is 1/2 cup with 1 tbsp berries for a total of 100 calories.

junk
ramen is probably my biggest comfort food, but is 380 calories for one package.
my second biggest is chocolate, but i've been getting dark hershey kisses and 5 are only 128.

Em Coconut
03-09-2013, 07:07 PM
Healthy:
Baby carrots! I love them. And they give me that crunch I usually want when I feel like snacking. I also love almonds and hazel nuts, but I have to be careful with them as they're very rich in calories.

Junk:
Potato chips, loaded potato skins and chocolate glazed donuts...

beachluvr79
03-09-2013, 07:10 PM
hummus and pretzel crisps :)

Nzgirl
03-09-2013, 07:13 PM
Hummus and water crackers. Yum!

Alyssa Autopsy
03-09-2013, 07:52 PM
Healthy:
Baby carrots! I love them. And they give me that crunch I usually want when I feel like snacking. I also love almonds and hazel nuts, but I have to be careful with them as they're very rich in calories.

Junk:
Potato chips, loaded potato skins and chocolate glazed donuts...
omfg loaded potato skins *droooooool*

mimsyborogoves
03-09-2013, 09:56 PM
Healthy snack? Fresh apples :). Unhealthy? You name it, I probably like it lol

Skinnygirldreams
03-09-2013, 10:00 PM
Healthy snack: cottage cheese w/ tomato and pepper, hummus and air crisps (25 chips for like 140 calories best i've found to help that chip craving) fruit and lowfat yogurt.

Junk: Anything salty or spicy pretty much!

amandie
03-09-2013, 11:58 PM
Healthy faves- Hummus with carrots, cukes, or celery. (I haven't had this in a long time, I think I need to make some hummus again!!)
Cottage cheese with black pepper and very few dashes of hot sauce with some crackers, carrots or celery. Pretzels are good too.
Plain greek yogurt with some fruit and honey or maple syrup.
Sliced fresh apples with some cinnamon and sweetener then topped with a slice of cheddar then microwaved (or baked but microwave is faster, lol) until cheese is just melted. The mix of apple and cheddar hits the sweet and salty spot!
Chunk light tuna with some cracked pepper olive oil mayo, celery and hard boiled egg is good. Have this with all kinds of crackers.
Last one is tuna with lemon pepper seasoning mixed with 1-2 tsp olive oil and 1 oz cheese then microwaved. (Great with pasta if wanting to make it into a meal or whatever.)

Fave junk- Oh jeez, if it's spicy and/or salty, chances are I like/love it. Hot cheetos were and are my #1 favorite. (UN?)Forunately my GERD/severe acid reflux prevents me from snacking on that and any of my old spicy faves.

suetalks
03-10-2013, 01:04 AM
Healthy: Almonds, apples, string cheese, low fat graham crackers. All in moderation.

Junk: Salty snacks, chewy candy...like gummies, licorice. Yes, it says low-fat, but it still has calories galore. :)

Alyssa Autopsy
03-10-2013, 10:11 AM
Healthy: Almonds, apples, string cheese, low fat graham crackers. All in moderation.

Junk: Salty snacks, chewy candy...like gummies, licorice. Yes, it says low-fat, but it still has calories galore. :)

i loooooooove gummies, but don't eat them anymore. i no longer eat anything that contains gelatin.

Psychic
03-10-2013, 01:50 PM
Healthy (in moderation) - Pistachios, low-fat popcorn, wasa crisps with spreadable cheese or yellow mustard, canned tuna with mustard, and smoked salmon with cream cheese on multi-grain crackers.

Unhealthy: Cheese, potato chips, potato skins, gourmet breads, and chinese food... I like salty, starchy foods.

Alyssa Autopsy
03-10-2013, 05:59 PM
Healthy (in moderation) - Pistachios, low-fat popcorn, wasa crisps with spreadable cheese or yellow mustard, canned tuna with mustard, and smoked salmon with cream cheese on multi-grain crackers.

Unhealthy: Cheese, potato chips, potato skins, gourmet breads, and chinese food... I like salty, starchy foods.i looooove chinese. when i order chinese i get house lo mein, steamed pork dumplings, and crab rangoon. though now that i've started dieting i just get the dumplings, they are the lowest calorie option out of those 3.

amandie
03-10-2013, 06:11 PM
the tuna is only 205 calories for a full can.

Outta curiosity, is that 205 calories for a regular sized can or a huge can?? Cuz I get the chunk light tuna in water which is usually 2 servings for about 100 calories.

amandie
03-10-2013, 06:17 PM
i looooove chinese. when i order chinese i get house lo mein, steamed pork dumplings, and crab rangoon. though now that i've started dieting i just get the dumplings, they are the lowest calorie option out of those 3.

I totally love house lomein, my favorite! You could make your own crab rangoon easily with ready made wonton wraps, neufchatel cream cheese, bit of crab meat, (and some splenda/sugar since I like it a bit sweet and salty) then very lightly mist/brush with oil then bake. Same goes for steamed dumplings using wonton wraps again, very easy. Oh, if you have a food processor, you can pulse the pork or chicken with some green onions, ginger, and some spices, cook it then stuff in wonton wraps. Steam until soft. Works as potstickers if you'd like too.

I am very frugal when it comes to chinese/mexican/italian in terms of $$ and calories/fat, lol because I like to eat a lot without feeling guilty. :-D

Alyssa Autopsy
03-10-2013, 08:20 PM
I totally love house lomein, my favorite! You could make your own crab rangoon easily with ready made wonton wraps, neufchatel cream cheese, bit of crab meat, (and some splenda/sugar since I like it a bit sweet and salty) then very lightly mist/brush with oil then bake. Same goes for steamed dumplings using wonton wraps again, very easy. Oh, if you have a food processor, you can pulse the pork or chicken with some green onions, ginger, and some spices, cook it then stuff in wonton wraps. Steam until soft. Works as potstickers if you'd like too.

I am very frugal when it comes to chinese/mexican/italian in terms of $$ and calories/fat, lol because I like to eat a lot without feeling guilty. :-D
i've made my own of all of that before, but it's just not as good as the chinese place down the street from me. the only time i get chinese is when my grandmother or boyfriend is willing to pay so technically i don't really need to get cheap stuff, but i do anyway because money is tight in my family. mom's dead, step-mom's dead, dad is unemployed, grandmother is working herself into the ground, boyfriend is unhappily unemployed (he applies for jobs literally 5 days a week), and i am happily unemployed (trying to go to school instead).

Outta curiosity, is that 205 calories for a regular sized can or a huge can?? Cuz I get the chunk light tuna in water which is usually 2 servings for about 100 calories.

it;s 100 calories for the full can, 60 calories for the olive oil mayo, and 45 calories for the cucumber, which adds up to 205.

amandie
03-10-2013, 08:58 PM
i've made my own of all of that before, but it's just not as good as the chinese place down the street from me. .

That is true! I can never make it taste as good as they do, heh. Ahh, gotcha about the tuna/mayo/cukes cals, thanks! :)

Alyssa Autopsy
03-11-2013, 08:56 AM
That is true! I can never make it taste as good as they do, heh. Ahh, gotcha about the tuna/mayo/cukes cals, thanks! :)i have tried. i actually got my chinese places exact recipe and it just wasn't right.

no problem! i love having that as a small meal. i prefer to have small meals and be able to snack all day over having large meals and limited snacking.

celigirl88
03-11-2013, 09:27 AM
Healthy: Definitely apples. I also add peanut butter when I want a little bit more of a taste. I found these apples one day (honeycrisp apples, or something like that) and while they are a tad on the expensive side, they are AMAZING.

Unhealthy: Anything haha. Donuts, candy, etc etc. Sometimes I just need to satisfy my sweet tooth.

Alyssa Autopsy
03-11-2013, 11:57 AM
Healthy: Definitely apples. I also add peanut butter when I want a little bit more of a taste. I found these apples one day (honeycrisp apples, or something like that) and while they are a tad on the expensive side, they are AMAZING.

Unhealthy: Anything haha. Donuts, candy, etc etc. Sometimes I just need to satisfy my sweet tooth.

i found something cool in shoprite that makes me eat more apples. 0-calorie caramel sauce :D i have 4 jars of it, and i eat an apple a day... and with how good it is with the caramel sauce i could eat 10 apples a day xP

celigirl88
03-11-2013, 12:07 PM
i found something cool in shoprite that makes me eat more apples. 0-calorie caramel sauce :D i have 4 jars of it, and i eat an apple a day... and with how good it is with the caramel sauce i could eat 10 apples a day xP

OMG no way!!! Love me some caramel. Did you find it in the fruit section? Sometimes they have the fruit dips in the sides by the salad.

Alyssa Autopsy
03-11-2013, 04:50 PM
OMG no way!!! Love me some caramel. Did you find it in the fruit section? Sometimes they have the fruit dips in the sides by the salad.

yeah it was in the fruit section, to the right of the strawberries in my shoprite. it's really good! it's tempting to really glob it on the apple, but the jars are kinda small so i only put a little bit on.

Skellig19
03-11-2013, 06:09 PM
Healthy:

It varies but right now it's bran flakes with a sprinkle of coconut and some canned pinapple. Really hits the spot!

Unhealthy:
Cookies...a big stack with milk. I can usually make a pretty decent "diet" version of my favourite bakes but cookies are based on butter and sugar. Without those, there is no substance! I did do chocolate meringues but they didn't really hit the spot. :(

elvislover324
03-11-2013, 06:22 PM
Unhealthy: Cheese, potato chips, potato skins, gourmet breads, and chinese food... I like salty, starchy foods.

We could have been best friends 7 months ago! I didn't even know other foods besides those existed. :) Well, I did, I just had no desire for them.

Psychic
03-11-2013, 09:12 PM
elvislover324 - Lol. I still eat those foods, but a measured portion. I must count out potato chips or I will devour the whole bag. I still eat Chinese about once a week, but I opt for steamed rice and try to get something that is mainly veggies. The restaurant I go to has everything pre-cooked and out in warmers, so its hard to special order. They have chicken and veggies in some sort of sauce I like (which is likely sugar-laden), but at least its not breaded chicken.

Terra1984
07-11-2013, 03:43 PM
Healthy:
Carrots,Cauliflower,Cucumbers dipped in light ranch dressing and mushrooms, Strawberries,Cherries,Rasberries,Kwii,pineapple,or anges,banana's

Junk:
Beef Jerky, Gummi Bears, BBQ Pringles, Turtle Chex Mix, and a whole lot more

madelinerose94
07-21-2013, 06:49 AM
Healthy Snack: Banana, Berries, Low-Fat Crackers, Rice Cakes and Avocado-Chocolate Dip!

Unhealthy Snack: Chocolate Cupcakes and Potato Chips!

EatMoreCelery
07-21-2013, 09:51 AM
Weight Watchers mozzarella cheese sticks ... fun to peel and eat and only 50 calories :)

sontaikle
07-21-2013, 12:49 PM
My favorite healthy snack food is any veggies lying around really. I'll snack on them forever. ESPECIALLY roasted red peppers :3

Unhealthy: Potato chips. I love them! So I just eat a small portion of them with lunch sometimes...I don't think I could cut them out entirely.

AwShucks
08-03-2013, 12:49 AM
Healthy: fruit flavored low carb/sugarfree yogurt, any fruit, grilled chicken chunks, Think Thin peanut butter and chocolate bars

Unhealthy: Pralines & Cream Ice Cream, baked Cheetos, bakery cookies and cake; chewy sweet tarts; hot fresh donuts (more than one!)

ImWeighedDown
08-03-2013, 04:31 PM
Hey Alyssa,
Is there a reason for not eating anything with gelatin?

i loooooooove gummies, but don't eat them anymore. i no longer eat anything that contains gelatin.

Suzanne 3FC
08-04-2013, 08:46 AM
Healthy snacks that I choose from every day:
salad
bowl of spinach with seasonings
any kind of fruit
kimchi
roasted seaweed
hot tea, unsweetened

Unhealthy snacks: None, I gave them up a long time ago because the healthy ones are so tasty :T (the crunchy seaweed helped me kick my potato chip problem)

diamondgeog
08-04-2013, 01:36 PM
Not sure this is 'healthy' and I KNOW my biggest problem was and is carbs. But pop chips are my one and only now potato snack. Much healthier than even baked and WAY tastier than baked. The original is bursting with potato flavor. I like cheddar also.

The bumble bee tuna sensations are all good. The 4 ounce lemon pepper no crackers just tuna is a lunch for me now with some fruit.

diamondgeog
08-04-2013, 01:37 PM
Suzanne how do you get past the dissolving in your mouth part of seaweed? I would love to eat more but can't handle that.

crispin
08-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Mmm, I love pop chips. I haven't bought them in ages though b/c I had no will power with them. I usually ate the whole bag. :o

My fav healthy snacks...
~ homemade kale chips
~ roasted veg
~ olives
~ small serving of cheese
~ hardboiled egg
~ nuts
~ small serving of good chocolate
~ tea

Unhealthy...
~ beer
~ kettle chips
~ cookies and brownies
~ ice cream
~ cereal (unhealthy b/c I eat too large a portion)
~ twix

chunkie89
08-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Now that I'm on a diet, I try not to snack as I fear getting out of control and end up eating too much but here are my favs:

Healthy: Cucumbers with peanut butter, carrots with mayo. Ok not the most healthy, haha.

Junk: Lay's Salt & Vinegar chips, Ruffles' Cheddar & Sour Cream chips, Fox's Chunkie Extremely Chocolatey Fruit & Nut cookies, Cheezels, the list goes on!

Stuartsdiet1
08-10-2013, 09:36 PM
Cheesy potatoes with mayonaise and also garlic bread , very bad !

IanG
08-10-2013, 09:51 PM
Healthy: Canned fish. It's the bomb. I'm serious. This sh!t is heaven and gives you a heavenly body...all in a can: crab, clams, salmon, sardines, muscles, sardines, oysters, octopus, kipper, mackeral, trout, eel...you name it. It is so fricking awesome. Cooked. Portioned out. Nutrition on the side of the can. Keeps for years. Cheap.

Unhealthy: I don't do unhealthy any more. But a good ol' cheeseburger would just about do it if I did.

Suzanne 3FC
08-11-2013, 04:05 PM
Suzanne how do you get past the dissolving in your mouth part of seaweed? I would love to eat more but can't handle that.

The cashier at the store told me she didn't like it because she thought it was 'slimy' :chin: I wondered if she let it linger in her mouth too long. Or maybe I just eat it too quickly! I've never found it off-putting. My 8 yr old granddaughter loves it, too.

musicalchick
08-11-2013, 09:22 PM
Healthy
Air popped popcorn, berries most kinds, oranges, home made granola.

Unhealthy
Candy bars, french fries, and pizza.