Ideal Protein Diet - How do you drink all that water?

View Full Version : How do you drink all that water?

Donna Gel
03-08-2013, 06:06 PM
Phase 1 has me drinking tons of water. How do you get all yours in?
Donna Gel

scorbett1103
03-08-2013, 06:08 PM
[QUOTE=Donna Gel;4660485]Phase 1 has me drinking tons of water. How do you get all yours in?
Donna Gel

We should be drinking about 8 full glasses (8oz) of water every day, whether or not we're on a diet - so it's a great habit to get into!

I have a 32oz cup that I drink from - I carry it around with me all day, and just sip. As long as I fill it twice, I know I've gotten enough water!

Don't forget that herbal tea and decaf tea/coffee count as water (because there's no caffeine, it won't dehydrate you). So if you like hot drinks but have trouble with cold water, try adding some tea to your day!

amberjules
03-08-2013, 06:32 PM
I have a 64 oz container at work and I fill it all the way up. Then I have a plastic cup with a straw that I'll fill up from the 64 oz container through out the day. I have to drink all of the water before I leave to go home.

It's worked out great for me! I don't have to count my cups anymore and make multiple trips to the kitchen to fill up my water...though I do have to take multiple trips to the bathroom sometimes. :)

WorldTraveleronIP
03-08-2013, 06:43 PM
I use either a 32 ounce cup that I will drink from at home (mornings before work, evenings and weekends) and I have a 50 ounce bottle that I drink from at work. My rule at work is I have to drink at least one bottle and re-fill it once before I leave for the day. I try to drink the second bottle during my drive home from work (sometimes, it is a race with the devil to get home to the bathroom).

When I get home from work, I wash my face, change into yoga clothes and fill up the 32oz cup of water to drink during/after yoga/meditation and have through dinner. I switch to herbal tea after dinner because I like hot beverages.

Taking the supplements helps if you drink lots of water with each supplement. If it's killing you, add some Dasani drops. I like the pineapple/coconut and the mixed berry ones :)

Spiritman
03-08-2013, 06:45 PM
I do feel like a camel taking on water for a long desert trek with all the water we have to drink. However it has become a habit now so it has gotten much easier. The constant running to the bathroom is something that I find more annoying than drinking water.

Desafinado
03-08-2013, 07:03 PM
I only drink decaf coffee and tea, and then I drink sparkling water so by the time the end of the day comes I've gotten in enough fluids.

jkinjo1024
03-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Actually doctors recommend drinking half your body weight in ounces per day. The way I get my water in is keeping a 24 oz. bottle with me at all times. When I stop at a stop light I take a few swigs, if I have to get up from my desk, I take a few swigs, when I finish a task, guess what? I take a few swigs :) One of my clients put it perfectly. She said, I drink water like it's my job.

IdealProteinNewbie
03-08-2013, 07:09 PM
I, too, have taken to using a 32 oz bottle. I drink a minimum of three each day. It's so much easier than keeping track of smaller bottles.

The more you drink, the more you will want to!

KitKat169
03-08-2013, 08:16 PM
I have measured bottles that I need to finish by certains times each day. However I'm not a sipper. I tend to get close o the time I've set to finish one and have to guzzle it. I do sip on herbal tea too for the afternoon and evening but that only helps to counter-act the excess coffee I had in the morning.

jeffiner
03-08-2013, 08:56 PM
I bought a bottle that looks like a mini water cooler..it holds 74 oz..i fill it each morning and just drink through the day..I always finish it at work..its the weekends that I struggle with

crazynette826
03-08-2013, 09:01 PM
I also use a 32 oz. bottle and set times that I need to have it finished by. My goal is at least 3 a day. In addition to the plain water, I also usually have 16 oz with the Dasani drops. Pineapple coconut is my favorite. For me, once I got used to drinking so much, I find that I crave it more. Now plain water is my drink of choice!

ladylunk
03-08-2013, 09:10 PM
I do feel like a camel taking on water for a long desert trek with all the water we have to drink. However it has become a habit now so it has gotten much easier. The constant running to the bathroom is something that I find more annoying than drinking water.

I hear you on the constant running to the bathroom part. Very annoying. I actually find it hard to go out shopping etc. because it is a constant bathroom hunt. And when towing two kids around and ME being the one that has to use the bathroom all the time it gets annoying. I mean I already couldn't hold a lot. I started counting at the beginning it was approx 20 times per day for me. Maybe I have a blatter problem??? Anyone else go that often?

Cheekyskeeter
03-08-2013, 09:28 PM
I didn't realize that decaf coffee and tea count towards your water intake. I have a 32 oz bottle that I drink on the way to work, fill it again for my work day and then another for my ride home (I have an hour drive). I also drink a few cups of decaf coffee through the day. I used to drink a lot of pop but I'm quite pleasantly surprised that I don't miss it at all.

lcheech
03-08-2013, 09:49 PM
I use a straw!!! it's my friend these days! lol. just suck it back. lol

Alaskagirl92128
03-09-2013, 03:18 AM
I use true lemon, not sure if that is okay though?

Thirteen
03-09-2013, 06:25 AM
I have an amazing, Trudeau 24 oz water bottle. I make sure I drink 6 a day. Prior to IP I was drinking 3-4, so not a big change for me. The key for me is the bottle, I bring it everywhere. The secret is the soft straw. A straw is a must to get through all that water...with the straw, I can down the entire bottle in a minute or two, if I'm getting behind schedule. I try to have 3 of the 6 bottles within the first 2 hours of the day (while I have my coffee too). I have the first immediately, the second about a half hour later, and the third I have in half 30 minutes later, and the other half another 30 minutes later. I have the 4th 2 hours later, and fill the 5th immediately. The 5th and 6th usually take me longer to finish, because I'm fully hydrated at that point. I make sure I have the 5th down by lunch time, and I sip on the 6th during lunch and the afternoon...I also add in peppermint tea at that time. I make sure to be done with all water by 2:30...before IP I went potty once a night, now I go 3 times...can't imagine how often I'd be up if I drank into the evening! I have found that I easily go back to sleep after, so that's not a problem. I have multiple Trudeau bottles, I keep one at home for when I get up and one at work. Highly recommend...on amazon search 24 oz Trudeau water bottle.

workingit50
03-09-2013, 08:40 AM
Here is what I noticed, the days I drink tons of water the next day is better on the scale. I am getting enough water but I change it around all day. Typically in morning at work I can pound plain water. By afternoon I add some drops to enhance. Also make it cold at times with ice and drinking with straws. It is certainly time consuming between filling up water bottles for the day, drinking, and for me....going to bathroom so much. :^:

KitKat169
03-09-2013, 10:42 AM
I use true lemon, not sure if that is okay though?

Yep it works great. When I have been traveling / flying, I use more true lemon or lime because it helps flush water retention.

Donna Gel
03-09-2013, 01:09 PM
I hear you on the constant running to the bathroom part. Very annoying. I actually find it hard to go out shopping etc. because it is a constant bathroom hunt. And when towing two kids around and ME being the one that has to use the bathroom all the time it gets annoying. I mean I already couldn't hold a lot. I started counting at the beginning it was approx 20 times per day for me. Maybe I have a blatter problem??? Anyone else go that often?

The bathroom trips are exercise to help in the weight loss. :)

Ruthxxx
03-09-2013, 01:14 PM
Donna, please do NOT put a ticker in your posts. You will be able to have one after 20 days and 20 posts. At that time it can become part of your signature and will appear automatically in your posts. This rule is in place to discourage spammers. I'm sure you'll understand.

AnnaBoBanna
03-09-2013, 02:58 PM
I got this water bottle from Walmart and love it! I actually have two, one in green and one in blue. I think they were $6 each. I don't use the ice insert thing though. My work has a filtered water system and a big ice machine, so I frequently fill it up and drink throughout my 8 hour shift.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cool-Gear-32-oz-Sahara-Bottle-Blue/21098704

When I'm not at work, I keep a brita filter pitcher in the fridge and the following pitcher filled with water. I love cold water. I also drink a lot of water with meals. Just keep sipping!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rubbermaid-MixerMate-1-Gal-Pitcher/16408613

kpowers
03-09-2013, 06:17 PM
I add Mio to my water to mix things up. Sometimes im craving that juice flavor and they taste great. Id recommend getting it at Walmart. They sell the great value version which is quite a bit cheaper. Just dont drink it all the time, my coach told me it can slow your progress later when youre down to the last few pounds.

scorbett1103
03-09-2013, 06:21 PM
I add Mio to my water to mix things up. Sometimes im craving that juice flavor and they taste great. Id recommend getting it at Walmart. They sell the great value version which is quite a bit cheaper. Just dont drink it all the time, my coach told me it can slow your progress later when youre down to the last few pounds.

I have used Mio consistently through Phase 1, 2, 3 and now in Maintenance! Your weight loss is going to slow down as you get to the last few pounds whether you use Mio or not - as long as you are limiting your use of "extras" that are 0 calorie/0 carb/0 sugar (because they all have trace carbs) every day you won't be adding enough to your daily intake to have much of an effect. I have always stuck to 6 servings per day of ANY extras and it worked well.

beepure
03-09-2013, 06:23 PM
I just began IP. First I would play games, for example, I can see a stoplight from my desk. I drink until the stoplight changes. Now it's more of a part of the day.

leahrb
03-11-2013, 01:02 AM
I agree that the days I drink more water I see more weight loss. :)

Initially, I needed to set goals for myself. "OK by 9 AM I should be on my second bottle, by 12 PM I should be on my third bottle..." So when 8:55 AM came around & I didn't finish a bottle, I chugged! I got better at drinking regularly so I didn't have to chug & feel ill from so much water lol. Now my body craves the water.

LilacPants
03-27-2013, 12:42 AM
Target sells "sugar free on-the-go packets" in different floaors. Zero carbs, 5 cals each. One packet makes a 20 oz container.

I love the margarita flavor, keep a bottle chilled in the fridge. The lemonade is ok, the cherry is tolerable.

GetYa1
03-27-2013, 12:56 AM

I think once your body gets used to drinking the allotted amount of water each day, the bathroom trips will slow down. I've been drinking tons of water for years, so when I started IP, the water consumption wasn't an issue. However, I do remember when I started drinking so much water...the bathroom trips were more frequent than today. Hope that helps. :dizzy:

foreveryoung
03-27-2013, 01:13 AM

OMG 20 times is a lot! The most for me throughout the day has been 6 times, I don't know if that's ok or I should go more times but 2 months ago I had my kidneys tested and they are great.

lisa32989
03-27-2013, 07:21 AM
Target sells "sugar free on-the-go packets" in different floaors. Zero carbs, 5 cals each. One packet makes a 20 oz container.

I love the margarita flavor, keep a bottle chilled in the fridge. The lemonade is ok, the cherry is tolerable.

Unfortunately, the Target brand ones contain aspartame. I was just at Target yesterday and saw those. Luckily, their store brand of Mio was in sale! No nastytame in those!

65X65
03-27-2013, 09:59 AM
I agree that the days I drink more water I see more weight loss. :)

Initially, I needed to set goals for myself. "OK by 9 AM I should be on my second bottle, by 12 PM I should be on my third bottle..." So when 8:55 AM came around & I didn't finish a bottle, I chugged! I got better at drinking regularly so I didn't have to chug & feel ill from so much water lol. Now my body craves the water.

I do the same thing...I fill two 32 oz bottles (Different colors...I start with the pink one) first thing in the AM...one MUST be down before 11 AM and the other down by3PM ...then I refill the pink one to sip/ drink until about 8 PM...mostly I finish all of that... and more this way. That is 90+ oz. Since I do enjoy caffeinated coffee in the AM...I make myself drink the "make-up water" first. I fill the mug with water while coffee is brewing...take the potassium...(gotta drink some water to do that anyway).....then can have my cuppa java! :coffee:

When I started being obsessive about it, I realized more weight off at the weekly weigh in. Reading a bit on the water issue...it appears drinking 17 oz quickly actually RAISES your metabolism for a few hrs!!! Now that motivates me! Also...I bring that 32 oz water bottle in the car when running errands...and chug it as I head home to my own clean close available bath room....(thank you very much...)
It took me a while to work this routine out. Using smaller containers had me losing count... everyone's day is different...but with some planning you can do it.
(Oh..and planning means I do know EXACTLY where the potty is in all the groc stores, Walgreen's, Michael's, Joanne's and Barnes and Nobles...);)

Msbehaving
03-27-2013, 11:00 AM

I like the way you put that, best description I have heard. Made me smile. That is what it is like!

Anyway....I drink one full glass with my early morning medicine, another with breakfast and then I carry a 32 ounce water bottle. I have to drink it and refill it before I leave work. Getting water in early in the day helps at night. This is how much water we should be drinking no matter what phase, diet or lack of we are on. Once you get used to it, you will feel better having the right fluids in your body.

Msbehaving
03-27-2013, 11:03 AM
Actually doctors recommend drinking half your body weight in ounces per day. The way I get my water in is keeping a 24 oz. bottle with me at all times. When I stop at a stop light I take a few swigs, if I have to get up from my desk, I take a few swigs, when I finish a task, guess what? I take a few swigs :) One of my clients put it perfectly. She said, I drink water like it's my job.

Excellent. My doctor has told me the same thing - 1/2 your body weight in ounces. The 8 cups a day is kind of like the minimum daily requirements for vitamins. Really...we want MINIMUM daily health? I am after MAXIMUM daily health! :carrot:

ladylunk
03-27-2013, 11:17 AM
I think once your body gets used to drinking the allotted amount of water each day, the bathroom trips will slow down. I've been drinking tons of water for years, so when I started IP, the water consumption wasn't an issue. However, I do remember when I started drinking so much water...the bathroom trips were more frequent than today. Hope that helps. :dizzy:

OMG 20 times is a lot! The most for me throughout the day has been 6 times, I don't know if that's ok or I should go more times but 2 months ago I had my kidneys tested and they are great.

I hope I get used to it. And it slows down. I should do a recount I think it could be slowing down during the day. Still about 3 times a night though which is annoying. You should have seen me pregnant. I was horrible. Would go before leaving the house get in the car and have my husband looking for a gas station in five minutes time. I used to be one of those kids that drank a ton of fluids and hardly went. Worried my mom. People would tell her I should get checked for diabetes and the doctor pretty much laughed at her and said I was super healthy and not to worry. Now I am opposite.

Happymomof2
03-27-2013, 03:29 PM
I also walk around all day with a large water bottle and fill it twice a day. My husband keeps laughing at how often I am running to the bathroom!

tam67green
03-27-2013, 05:25 PM
[QUOTE=Donna Gel;4660485]Phase 1 has me drinking tons of water. How do you get all yours in?
Donna Gel

We should be drinking about 8 full glasses (8oz) of water every day, whether or not we're on a diet - so it's a great habit to get into!

I have a 32oz cup that I drink from - I carry it around with me all day, and just sip. As long as I fill it twice, I know I've gotten enough water!

Don't forget that herbal tea and decaf tea/coffee count as water (because there's no caffeine, it won't dehydrate you). So if you like hot drinks but have trouble with cold water, try adding some tea to your day!

Yay on the decaf coffee counting as water! I have been on a coffee kick lately (decaf only) and was hoping that was the case!

usmcvet
03-27-2013, 07:59 PM
I use my mouth. :carrot:

I have several large, 22oz I think, blender bottles at home and work. I fill up several times a day at home and work.

evepet
03-27-2013, 11:05 PM
I started using a 20 oz bottle that has a straw attached in the closeable lid. I fill it up with filtered water after I eat my breakfast, and generally drink at least half of it immediately to take my after-breakfast supplements. Then I drink the rest of that bottle + 1 more before noon. Generally put some acv in the 2nd bottle. The third is in the early afternoon, generally with some MIO or 1/2 of one of those individual serving packets of sucralose-sweetened Crystal Light. The fourth (with the other half of the Crystal Light packet) I start drinking right after dinner, with my after-dinner supplements. Total 80 oz. I also drink only decaf coffee & tea through the day.